ADVERTISEMENT

Abandon ship! Abandon ship!! Pitt hoops team has players bailing on it!!

TheGLOV

Gold Member
Au'Diese Toney to leave Pittsburgh Panthers basketball program, enter transfer portal
Feb 25, 2021

• Myron MedcalfESPN Staff Writer

The deluge of bad news for the Pittsburgh Panthers has continued, as the program on Thursday announced that Au'Diese Toney, the No. 2 scorer in the program, will leave the team and enter the transfer portal based on a "mutual" decision.
Toney, who missed Saturday's 79-72 loss to Florida State due to injury, is averaging 14.4 points this season as the Panthers have lost seven of their last eight games to fall to 9-9 overall and 5-8 in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
"We have come to the mutual agreement that Au'Diese will be leaving the Pitt Men's Basketball program effective immediately," coach Jeff Capel said in a statement. "We appreciate his efforts the past three seasons in our program and wish him well as he looks to continue to grow on and off the court."
EDITOR'S PICKS
The announcement came just 24 hours after Xavier Johnson, the team's No. 3 scorer at 14.2 points per game, had immediately left the program with plans to enter the transfer portal.
In all, the departures of Johnson and Toney make up 40% of the scoring production for coach Jeff Capel's team this season. The two players had both made more than 50% of their shots inside the 3-point line this season.
The moves place an even greater burden on Justin Champagnie, who is averaging 18.8 points and 11.4 rebounds, as Pitt prepares for its final three games of the regular season before entering the ACC tournament.

Maybe the two players who jumped ship wanted to experience an actual college campus rather than living in dilapidated soot covered buildings. Maybe the two players got tired of dodging cars and trucks while walking around pitt's pretend campus. Maybe the two players got sick of living in a crime infested filthy area of a dying city.

It isn't surprising that these two kids jumped ship. What is surprising is that anyone would willingly attend school at pitt.

Maybe the two players who jumped ship wanted to experience an actual college campus rather than living in dilapidated soot covered buildings. Maybe the two players got tired of dodging cars and trucks while walking around pitt's pretend campus. Maybe the two players got sick of living in a crime infested filthy area of a dying city.

It isn't surprising that these two kids jumped ship. What is surprising is that anyone would willingly attend school at pitt.
Moronic post.

Moronic post.
Ha agreed - it’s a beautiful city school with some not so nice parts - a lot of my friends went to school at Pitt - lived on Melba Street - fun parties but they more or less lives in rundown row houses ... undergrad - I would prefer going to a school like PSU where it’s a college town ... law school / grad school - I could see why one would want to go to school in a city

Perhaps they looked at the 2021 US News Rankings and saw Pitt at #58 among National Universities and Penn State at #63. Maybe they considered that, while PItt's tuition is about $600.00 more per year, PItt gives, on average, about $5,000 more per student in financial aid. They may have considered that the median earnings per graduate 6 years after graduation is about $4,000 higher at PItt.
As for the city of Pittsburgh, your comment is laughable. For years Pittsburgh has been rated as one of the best places to live. In 2019 it was rated as one of the 7 best cities for Gen Xers and the 5th best city for STEM (Science, Technology Engineering and Math) professionals. Last year it was rated the 7th best city to launch a career by LinkedIn. I could go on and on, but to what purpose? You hate Pitt and the City. Fine. Your opinion has a much value as mine. At least you are honest about it. That said, I will move on and out of this thread. I will let you have the last word. I have no doubt you will take it. Peace.

Perhaps they looked at the 2021 US News Rankings and saw Pitt at #58 among National Universities and Penn State at #63. Maybe they considered that, while PItt's tuition is about $600.00 more per year, PItt gives, on average, about $5,000 more per student in financial aid. They may have considered that the median earnings per graduate 6 years after graduation is about $4,000 higher at PItt.
As for the city of Pittsburgh, your comment is laughable. For years Pittsburgh has been rated as one of the best places to live. In 2019 it was rated as one of the 7 best cities for Gen Xers and the 5th best city for STEM (Science, Technology Engineering and Math) professionals. Last year it was rated the 7th best city to launch a career by LinkedIn. I could go on and on, but to what purpose? You hate Pitt and the City. Fine. Your opinion has a much value as mine. At least you are honest about it. That said, I will move on and out of this thread. I will let you have the last word. I have no doubt you will take it. Peace.
And, at the risk of socially iffy comments, do you really think elite young hoops players aspire to a bucolic setting? It’s not exactly the locus of most elite hs programs and players.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Obviously when I post about pitt sports I hyperbolize and shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm old. I spent many years in knock down drag out arguments with pitters about whether pitt or Penn State is better. Now pitt sports is non-competitive (see I did it again!). I can't help myself but to relive the old days of pitt - Penn State banter. Also, we all know that the pitters avidly study every post on this board. It is fun to poke them once in a while. It isn't unusual for my posts to become a thread on their message board and the thread is usually dozens of irate posts long.

Obviously when I post about pitt sports I hyperbolize and shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm old. I spent many years in knock down drag out arguments with pitters about whether pitt or Penn State is better. Now pitt sports is non-competitive (see I did it again!). I can't help myself but to relive the old days of pitt - Penn State banter. Also, we all know that the pitters avidly study every post on this board. It is fun to poke them once in a while. It isn't unusual for my posts to become a thread on their message board and the thread is usually dozens of irate posts long.
Well, that's something you, Fair and I have in common!

Unlike posters on The Lair....I think those of us who post here on BWI should be accurate in our assessments of Pitt Athletics. They are quick to point out that PSU lost 5 games in football this year. The mighty Panthers have lost at least 5 games 11 years in a row! 5 times during that stretch they've lost 7 games. LOL But they are with the Nardouche era showing stability.....
For many years Pitters could tout a more competitive men's basketball program. It's been 5 years since they have had a winning season. Incidentally, I believe Pitt fields 19 sport teams and PSU has what? 29?

Reactions: LemonEars
I came back to the thread because I forgot why I left. Anyway, as nits74 said, you and he share the bond of old age...........OK, me too. What were we talking about? :confused: Oh, yes, Pitt and PIttsburgh. I will try to remember your opening line and, as you said, not take your attacks seriously. Now I will again exit this thread before I forget why I returned.

This post has gone off the rails!

:eek:o_O;):D:p:eek:o_O;)
trainwreck.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV and nits74
Unlike posters on The Lair....I think those of us who post here on BWI should be accurate in our assessments of Pitt Athletics. They are quick to point out that PSU lost 5 games in football this year. The mighty Panthers have lost at least 5 games 11 years in a row! 5 times during that stretch they've lost 7 games. LOL But they are with the Nardouche era showing stability.....
For many years Pitters could tout a more competitive men's basketball program. It's been 5 years since they have had a winning season. Incidentally, I believe Pitt fields 19 sport teams and PSU has what? 29?
I'd be OK with all this back and forth as long as posters here acknowledge that Pitt is still a rival. The number of threads here concerning Pitt speaks for itself. Rip's post above also speaks to this point.

And what our current roster does as soon as this season is over will make Pitt's issues look rather trivial. On the other hand they actually care about their team, so there's that.
I don't know about that. Team with a high-profile coach losing two starters right in the middle of the season versus a program influx due to an interim head coach where nobody's left the team yet and outside of last night have played very hard every game.
With the right hire I don't think you see as much of an issue with kids leaving as some people think.

I'd be OK with all this back and forth as long as posters here acknowledge that Pitt is still a rival. The number of threads here concerning Pitt speaks for itself. Rip's post above also speaks to this point.
Pitt was once a rival. I think my post (in regards to football) sums up why they are no longer. I do enjoy visiting the Lair.....many of the same reasons I frequent here. Comic relief.

I understand the rivalry thing. But compared to most of the other large cities this Country is intent on destroying. Pittsburgh is one of the few cities remaining that is EXPONENTIALLY cleaner and less run down than it was when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s.

Back then, places like Los Angeles and San Francisco were considered utopian Shangri-Las. EVERYONE wanted to go there and live there. Now they're homeless, crime infested dumps.

I'm surprised. I remember pitt always having a half decent team. Seemed like they were in the tourney every year?

Truth is the two kids that left basically made a effort not to pass the ball to Champagne cause they were jealous of the stats and attention he was getting as ACC player of the year candidate. Lead to a fight in the locker room. Supposedly also a issue with Champagne’s girl friend and the two that left the program. Parental involvement and complaints about how their kids were being used by the coaching staffs. Between parents and AAU handlers, players want everything their way or they just transfer. Everyone thinks they are an NBA star from their parents and AAU COACH.

I don't know about that. Team with a high-profile coach losing two starters right in the middle of the season versus a program influx due to an interim head coach where nobody's left the team yet and outside of last night have played very hard every game.
With the right hire I don't think you see as much of an issue with kids leaving as some people think.
You mean like Duke and Kentucky where they leave all the time . Combine AAU COACHES and Handlers that use the kids for cash , NCAA basketball has become as CESSPOOL of corruption.

What is the University of Pittsburgh? An academic school with CM across the street? Nope...

What is Pitt? An athletic school that has no stadium? Nope...

What is Pitt?

Pitt isn't a rival. They were but they are no long. Because it was true in the past doesn't mean it is so today. The only reason they appear in posts around here is because select posters can't let go of the past. That is the prerogative of those posters to feel that way, but still doesn't make Pitt a rival today.

Reactions: bison13
Pitt isn't a rival. They were but they are no long. Because it was true in the past doesn't mean it is so today. The only reason they appear in posts around here is because select posters can't let go of the past. That is the prerogative of those posters to feel that way, but still doesn't make Pitt a rival today.
This is not intended to refute the notion that Pitt is not a Rival. Legit question.....seems more and more image is paramount. Would playing Pitt, a middle of the road ACC team look better as an OOC game than some of the other weaker opponents PSU schedules? Seems the rest of the world still clings to the old PSU - Pitt rivalry. Are we missing a recruiting opportunity by beating Pitt regularly? Do we miss on media hype by not playing a "rival" during rivals week hoopla each year? Would dominating Pitt give us a better chance with high end western PA prospects? Set aside emotion and consider is PSU missing a marketing opportunity?

You mean like Duke and Kentucky where they leave all the time . Combine AAU COACHES and Handlers that use the kids for cash , NCAA basketball has become as CESSPOOL of corruption.
I was mainly referring to the poster claiming that our situation will be worse than Pitt's. Pitt has more issues then we do right now.

This is not intended to refute the notion that Pitt is not a Rival. Legit question.....seems more and more image is paramount. Would playing Pitt, a middle of the road ACC team look better as an OOC game than some of the other weaker opponents PSU schedules? Seems the rest of the world still clings to the old PSU - Pitt rivalry. Are we missing a recruiting opportunity by beating Pitt regularly? Do we miss on media hype by not playing a "rival" during rivals week hoopla each year? Would dominating Pitt give us a better chance with high end western PA prospects? Set aside emotion and consider is PSU missing a marketing opportunity?
Playing Pitt in sports such as basketball baseball soccer Etc does make perfect sense for out of conference games but not for football.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
Well, we played them for four years and beat them three of the four with two of those being ass beatings....how did that help our PA recruiting? It looks like our PA recruiting has gotten worse. The only way playing Pitt would help us is if we lost a high percentage of our target recruits to them, then beating them regularly would help. Since we don’t lose very many recruits to them, and since beating them does nothing for our SOS, and since we don’t need them to sell out our stadium, playing them does nothing for us and everything for them.

Well, we played them for four years and beat them three of the four with two of those being ass beatings....how did that help our PA recruiting? It looks like our PA recruiting has gotten worse. The only way playing Pitt would help us is if we lost a high percentage of our target recruits to them, then beating them regularly would help. Since we don’t lose very many recruits to them, and since beating them does nothing for our SOS, and since we don’t need them to sell out our stadium, playing them does nothing for us and everything for them.
Well, I'd normally agree, but you have to actively recruit PA before you can expect to get recruits. Our staff seems to spend most of their time and energy seeking 3-star players from Fl, Al, Tx, Nv, etc. smh

If the local school ignores programs long enough you don't get to swing in and take their prize positions. Spending the last 5 years taking kids from places far away while passing on a PA kid with a similar ranking has to really piss off coaches. Oh, another point is that kids need offers to get better rankings. Two-star recruits with a Penn State offer immediately become three-star recruits and a bunch of other schools show interest. Florida's two-star recruits all have tons of offers so they are no longer two-star recruits. Primarily, these are the players we get. They don't like the winter, are to far from family and hs friends for visits, and tend to bolt as soon as they realize they are beaten out.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce
Agree with respect to "on the field", but from what I see it's more than just few select posters here feeding all this banter. Myself, I'm more than happy to let go of the past.

P.S. One thing I should add is that the media here in Pittsburgh never let's it go.

Well, I'd normally agree, but you have to actively recruit PA before you can expect to get recruits. Our staff seems to spend most of their time and energy seeking 3-star players from Fl, Al, Tx, Nv, etc. smh

If the local school ignores programs long enough you don't get to swing in and take their prize positions. Spending the last 5 years taking kids from places far away while passing on a PA kid with a similar ranking has to really piss off coaches. Oh, another point is that kids need offers to get better rankings. Two-star recruits with a Penn State offer immediately become three-star recruits and a bunch of other schools show interest. Florida's two-star recruits all have tons of offers so they are no longer two-star recruits. Primarily, these are the players we get. They don't like the winter, are to far from family and hs friends for visits, and tend to bolt as soon as they realize they are beaten out.
So you’re saying we’re not even offering the top stars out of PA?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT