ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Pico article: he might try for 2020 Olympics

Interesting...but I guess if arranging illegal "fight clubs" for kids is what it takes to get your child to this level, I am not interested...

Last edited:
Interesting...but ai guess if arrange illegal "fight clubs" for kids is what it takes to get your child to this level, I am not interested...

Exactly, and to come off as bragging about such is kind of a sickening article and effort to hype Up Pico. Too bad Tank crushed those Oly dreams, the author blamed it on Frank being 27, go kick rocks!

PS: I'm a big fan of the kid, the piece was too over the top

Reactions: PSUoh90
Can anyone offer any insight on the transition from Bellator to the UFC?

Is he starting in Bellator because of how young he is? What about Ed Ruth? Can we expect to see him in the UFC in the near future?

Can anyone offer any insight on the transition from Bellator to the UFC?

Is he starting in Bellator because of how young he is? What about Ed Ruth? Can we expect to see him in the UFC in the near future?

I may catch some shrapnel for this comment but a friend of mine who fights in the UFC said to me that UFC guys look at bellator like the NBA D-league.

there is also the internet theory that those outside the UFC just havent kissed the feet of saint dana enough.

I may catch some shrapnel for this comment but a friend of mine who fights in the UFC said to me that UFC guys look at bellator like the NBA D-league.

there is also the internet theory that those outside the UFC just havent kissed the feet of saint dana enough.

Yeah. That's kind of the impression I got, as someone who follows both very loosely.

Why is Phil Davis now fighting Bellator? Wasn't he near the top of his weight class in UFC?

Yeah. That's kind of the impression I got, as someone who follows both very loosely.

Why is Phil Davis now fighting Bellator? Wasn't he near the top of his weight class in UFC?
It's not the feet kissing that is moving many fighters to Bellator, it is the recent sponsorship deal the UFC struck that banned its fighters from getting their own sponsorships to supplement the fairly paltry income streams. If you are watching Fight night, most non championship matches have a whopping 5 - 10k for winning. There is bonus paid to the fighter of the night and you will often hear the fighter asking for votes if you are there. The number of times these guys now have to fight and win just to make a living below the poverty level is nearly unfair. Quite obviously, they have to have other jobs. Tough to reach the top level of you are distracted by the other job's time requirements.

The loss of individual sponsorships has fighters slowly moving to Bellator.

Unless you're McGregor, DC, Ronda, etc you're losing money being in the UFC as compared to OneFC or Bellator. Rory McDonald was top 5 in welterweight in the UFC and he now makes more than any other welterweight not named Ben Askren.

Bellator champs can compete with the best in the UFC but they don't really have any depth.

Bellator doesn't have anything, but old, recycled UFC talent. All decent prospects are fed total cans. They have yet to develop a star and have none on the horizon. Pico has yet to fight and will leave for UFC if he does pan out. Bellator is a complete joke with awful production value, marketing, and generally across the board. This is a promotion whom invested a fortune in DADA V KIMBO.

Unless you're McGregor, DC, Ronda, etc you're losing money being in the UFC as compared to OneFC or Bellator. Rory McDonald was top 5 in welterweight in the UFC and he now makes more than any other welterweight not named Ben Askren.

Bellator champs can compete with the best in the UFC but they don't really have any depth.
I've always wondered why the lack of pay for ufc fighting hasn't become a bigger issue. It's been a few years since I've checked but even the main event guys for ufc ppvs barely made in the six digits. Boxing for as corrupt as it is puts the money back where it belongs with the fighters.

Reactions: lionlover
if you read the article you'd know why he signed with Bellator over UFC

I'm trying to learn. The business models of fighting "Promotion" Companies have long confused & confounded me. As a kid, every time I saw freakin Don King I'd ask why the boxers needed him at all. As I've grown, I've learned more, but the business of Marketing is still pretty ethereal & fluid to me.

Anyway, testing my reading comprehension, are these passages the answer to your question?
Over the next several months, the two sides would hash out a "developmental" contract, which Pico signed in November 2014, two months after his 18th birthday.

Terms of the deal have not been disclosed, but it provided Pico a monthly stipend and the freedom to make a run at the 2016 U.S. Olympic wrestling team. That run came to an end at the Olympic Trials, when Pico, 20, lost to Frank Molinaro in the finals by a point. Molinaro, by the way, was 27.​

The unique business arrangement definitely turned heads in the sport, and it might have helped change it. Shortly after the deal was signed, then-UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta got in touch with Cook to lodge a complaint.

"Lorenzo said, 'Hey, you didn't give us a shot at signing Pico,'" Cook recalled. "I said, 'Well, you guys don't have a program over there for someone with no fights.' He told me, 'Next time, give us a call.'

"The UFC has a developmental program now."​

I've always wondered why the lack of pay for ufc fighting hasn't become a bigger issue. It's been a few years since I've checked but even the main event guys for ufc ppvs barely made in the six digits. Boxing for as corrupt as it is puts the money back where it belongs with the fighters.

Rory McDonald was apart of the greatest MMA fight ever, him vs Robbie Lawler 2, and made 109k. They deserved 100x that.

Any time you leave a part of yourself in the cage, not enough money in the world for that.

Rory McDonald was apart of the greatest MMA fight ever, him vs Robbie Lawler 2, and made 109k. They deserved 100x that.

Any time you leave a part of yourself in the cage, not enough money in the world for that.
100% agree with you. When we used to go to ppvs I'd get in arguments about the top mma fighters not being millionaires. Most mma fans thought boxing was now a joke until I would get on internet and show the difference top boxers made compared to mma guys. Not sure why Dana White isn't hated more than Don King or Bob Ariens

It blows my mind that UFC dared to put CM Punk in a PPV fight but wouldn't try to be proactive on getting young talent like Aaron Pico snapped up.

Not a good start for Pico. He got into a choke hold and tapped out in the first round.

ADVERTISEMENT