ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Brooks article

Brian LB-U

May 29, 2001
Link below. Best wishes, Aaron. I enjoyed this quote from Kevin Jackson....

"He surprised me a little bit," said USA freestyle coach Kevin Jackson, who oversees Brooks' training in Colorado. "He just finished his high school season, and he was wrestling college guys who are supposed to be vastly ahead of him. Not only did he beat them, he dominated them, guys who are going to be All-Americans and vying for NCAA championships. He's the real deal. He competes at a pace that I've yet to see anyone stay with.

"At the heart of him, he's just a straight competitor, a monster competitor, which has allowed him to reach the level where he's at," Jackson said."

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/ins...cle_ff8ad7f4-b941-11e8-ad01-c311e821e145.html

That is pretty high praise from Kevin Jackson. But Brooks seems like the real deal. Perhaps another Nolf-like figure to come, if we dare make comparisons.

I don’t know that we’ll ever see another Nolf. He’s so unique and brooks is nothing like him.

What you could have on your hands is another Burroughs.

Agree. Brooks is a master tactician using a combination of speed, power, athleticism and pace, and he rarely gets himself in bad positions.

Nolf is more artist than tactician living on the edge on what appear to us mortals as bad positions all the time only to do something magical where fans and opponents alike ask 'how did he do that'? He is fluid and smooth.

Both are capable of total domination but I would never say their styles are similar. Brooks might be more of a more athletic Zain, ... A scary thought.

When you arrive in the Penn State room with that kind of talent, I think it allows for developing the creativity we see from Nolf. Nolf and Bo talk about "play" wrestling, where they put themselves in unorthodox positions and either wrestle out of them or work through them to put a new wrinkle in an old move or develop a new move altogether. If you don't have to spend time on the "traditional" stuff, it frees you up for the new stuff.

When you arrive in the Penn State room with that kind of talent, I think it allows for developing the creativity we see from Nolf. Nolf and Bo talk about "play" wrestling, where they put themselves in unorthodox positions and either wrestle out of them or work through them to put a new wrinkle in an old move or develop a new move altogether. If you don't have to spend time on the "traditional" stuff, it frees you up for the new stuff.
That's a really good way to describe it.

Reactions: diggerpup

That's where Cael and his staff don't get enough credit. The progression of these kids is amazing. When you watched them in their redshirt year at the NLO, Nickal and Nolf looked really good - but nowhere close to where they were even two years later. The guys really do get a lot better in the room.

I'd assume the move Bo shocked Myles Martin with in Cleveland would fall in the 'old move' category, since he's been using that one since he was 6. :)

#thatswhatwedo

Last edited:
That's where Cael and his staff don't get enough credit. The progression of these kids is amazing. When you watched them in their redshirt year at the NLO, Nickal and Nolf looked really good - but nowhere close to where they were even two years later. The guys really do get a lot better in the room.
Jammen dined out on Andy McCulley beating Nickal for about 18 months. Now that argument is thin gruel.

Marinelli was ranked just as high as Cenzo and Nolf - let’s see where his career is at 2 years from now. Something tells me the best middle weight room in the country provides a bump.

Jammen dined out on Andy McCulley beating Nickal for about 18 months. Now that argument is thin gruel.

Marinelli was ranked just as high as Cenzo and Nolf - let’s see where his career is at 2 years from now. Something tells me the best middle weight room in the country provides a bump.

Wasn't he rated higher? Maybe #2 overall?

Reactions: Dogwelder
Mike Evans redux?
I think one of the best examples of the staff getting someone straight with coaching was Matt Brown and Mike Evan's. Matt definitely had that almost uncontrollable need to just attack and attack. This made him vulnerable to Evan's wrestle in reverse and attack defensively style. Brown crushed Evans by simply beating him to death without really shooting, then escape and finally ride Evans to death. That took some major adjustments in wrestling psychology.

Last edited:
But he had the best Stache of the tournament and became the role model for a young, impressionable Thomas Gilman.

Reactions: diggerpup
Mike Evans is still getting ridden by Matt Brown.

Senior year, Evans did the impossible - he took 3rd in Big Tens at 174 without scoring a single takedown the entire tourney.

That was equalled, or close thereto, by Joey Gunther last season, I think. ;) It's "Iowa Style", baby!

I think the most impressive display of Iowa Style was in the NCAA finals in 2016. Three wrestlers, zero offensive points.

That was equalled, or close thereto, by Joey Gunther last season, I think. ;) It's "Iowa Style", baby!

I think the most impressive display of Iowa Style was in the NCAA finals in 2016. Three wrestlers, zero offensive points.
And a collective cry heard throughout the country from Iowa City and New York that the reason the Iowa kids didn't win was all the offensive points were scored by the guys who were "stttaaaalllliiiiiiinnnnnn".

No thread with multiple Mike Evans references is complete without a picture.

th

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT