ADVERTISEMENT

A visit to the Creamery.

Roar More

Aug 19, 2004
Let's start with my favorite flavor is Palmer Mousseum with almonds (PMwA). Several months ago, before heading to PSU for a wrestling meet, I checked the Creamery website, which showed PMwA was available. I thought this fortuitous and stopped by after wrestling. I was told that the website was not accurate and it was wise to call first. No big deal. I loaded my Creamery thermal tote bag with four gallons and headed home to a Pittsburgh suburb.

This past weekend, we ran out of Creamery ice cream. (Horrors!) This obviously necessitated an ice cream safari. (Retirement has its perks.) I called the Creamery on Monday morning and received verification that PMwA was in the inventory. If it wasn't in the display case, I was to ask that it be retrieved "from the back."

Tuesday, after a surprisingly good pizza at Richie's Pizza in Belleville, I met friends for dinner in SC and then headed to the Creamery for my PMwA and assorted other flavors for assorted friends and family. No PMwA in the display case. No problem. I selected the other ice cream and left room for three half gallons of PMwA. I went to the check out and reviewed with the student manning (womanning?) the register about the previous day's conversation. Somebody went to "the back." Five minutes later she returned and said there was no PMwA.

I was mightily upset. While the other elements of the day had been highly enjoyable, the expedition had been launched under false pretenses. I grabbed an extra half gallon of Happy, Happy, Joy Joy and left in a mighty huff.

I went to the East Parking Garage and paid the 75 cents for parking and headed to my car, further ticked off over being charged to buy products from the Rodney A. Erickson Food Science Building. I was intercepted on my way to the car by the woman who had checked "the back." She had found the PMwA!!!. She explained that a new warehousing system had been installed. She said that if I still wanted it, she would get me the requested PMwA and throw in a free thermal bag with enough dry ice to last three hours. I immediately doubled my order to prevent the other containers from unhappily rattling around in the large bag.

I left as a very happy boy, thanks to Veronica at the Creamery. (Although I see no need to charge people for parking after 7:00 pm. Oh right, they do it because they can.)

They do it because they have to nickel and dime at every turn to try to cover $500 million that the BOT threw away starting in 2011.
They do it because otherwise people would leave their cars there for hours or even days without moving them. There would be no parking available for anyone visiting the creamery. I’m glad to be able to find convenient parking.

Let's start with my favorite flavor is Palmer Mousseum with almonds (PMwA). Several months ago, before heading to PSU for a wrestling meet, I checked the Creamery website, which showed PMwA was available. I thought this fortuitous and stopped by after wrestling. I was told that the website was not accurate and it was wise to call first. No big deal. I loaded my Creamery thermal tote bag with four gallons and headed home to a Pittsburgh suburb.

This past weekend, we ran out of Creamery ice cream. (Horrors!) This obviously necessitated an ice cream safari. (Retirement has its perks.) I called the Creamery on Monday morning and received verification that PMwA was in the inventory. If it wasn't in the display case, I was to ask that it be retrieved "from the back."

Tuesday, after a surprisingly good pizza at Richie's Pizza in Belleville, I met friends for dinner in SC and then headed to the Creamery for my PMwA and assorted other flavors for assorted friends and family. No PMwA in the display case. No problem. I selected the other ice cream and left room for three half gallons of PMwA. I went to the check out and reviewed with the student manning (womanning?) the register about the previous day's conversation. Somebody went to "the back." Five minutes later she returned and said there was no PMwA.

I was mightily upset. While the other elements of the day had been highly enjoyable, the expedition had been launched under false pretenses. I grabbed an extra half gallon of Happy, Happy, Joy Joy and left in a mighty huff.

I went to the East Parking Garage and paid the 75 cents for parking and headed to my car, further ticked off over being charged to buy products from the Rodney A. Erickson Food Science Building. I was intercepted on my way to the car by the woman who had checked "the back." She had found the PMwA!!!. She explained that a new warehousing system had been installed. She said that if I still wanted it, she would get me the requested PMwA and throw in a free thermal bag with enough dry ice to last three hours. I immediately doubled my order to prevent the other containers from unhappily rattling around in the large bag.

I left as a very happy boy, thanks to Veronica at the Creamery. (Although I see no need to charge people for parking after 7:00 pm. Oh right, they do it because they can.)

75 cents? Really? That's what gets you? Try parking in any decent size town for that long for that price.

Glad you got your ice cream though. I want to get some Teaberry next time I am in SC.

My mother worked for and was friends with Earl Berkey. We went to the same church. They would be appalled that Ericson's name was ever attached to THEIR building.

Last edited:
They do it because otherwise people would leave their cars there for hours or even days without moving them. There would be no parking available for anyone visiting the creamery. I’m glad to be able to find convenient parking.

You are exactly correct. I am sure some people (mainly students) would try to store their vehicles in the decks and it would impact permit holders. Not to mention, it is probably only fair that visitors need to pay a share of the costs it takes to maintain a parking deck, I am sure it is not cheap. I also find it funny that someone that probably bought about $50 of ice cream is complaining about paying $ 0.75 to park.

You are exactly correct. I am sure some people (mainly students) would try to store their vehicles in the decks and it would impact permit holders. Not to mention, it is probably only fair that visitors need to pay a share of the costs it takes to maintain a parking deck, I am sure it is not cheap. I also find it funny that someone that probably bought about $50 of ice cream is complaining about paying $ 0.75 to park.

Thank you.

Reactions: Nitwit

While I don't think $0.75 to park is a big deal, there are easy ways to prevent what you described.

I can see both sides of this. On the one hand, it's only 75 cents. Who cares. On the other hand, he just spend a bunch of money. Validate the man's parking.

Sure, if the Creamery wants to eat that cost. I have a feeling they don't.

Last year or the year before it was free, You parked your car in approximately a dozen spots and put your hazard lights on for 20 minutes of parking to pick up ice cream. I donate thousands to the university and hate another nickel and dime charge. It's the principal. They screwed up the Sandusky "matter". Would have hoped the BOT would have made up difference out of their own pockets. lol By the way you can avoid the 75 cents by going on Sunday. There is no parking fee.That applies also to the Student Bookstore at the HUB. That is unless they changed it in the last two months. Keep 6-8 half gallons in the freezer at all times for guests. OK that's at least 4 Pinocchio's. Never tried PM with almonds. Gotta try it. Go with Vanilla for apple pie, WPIX Coffee, Bittersweet Mint, Butter Pecan. Peachy Paterno (everyone asks for it) Peanut Butter with Marshmallow and of course Death by Chocolate for the grandchildren. Is your mouth watering yet @SJLuvsLions?

Reactions: SJLuvsLions
My mother worked for and was friends with George Berkey. We went to the same church. They would be appalled that Ericson's name was ever attached to THEIR building.

I believe it was never their building to begin with. The Berkey Creamery was never the entire building, it was and remains just one named space within the building. While the S.O.P is to name an entire building after someone, when it is built, the official name for the entire building when it opened on 2006 was just the Food Science Building. Just like the Thomas Building was officially the Classroom and Office Building for many years and the Business Building is still not named after someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: psuluvr1
Last year or the year before it was free, You parked your car in approximately a dozen spots and put your hazard lights on for 20 minutes of parking to pick up ice cream. I donate thousands to the university and hate another nickel and dime charge. It's the principal. They screwed up the Sandusky "matter". Would have hoped the BOT would have made up difference out of their own pockets. lol By the way you can avoid the 75 cents by going on Sunday. There is no parking fee.That applies also to the Student Bookstore at the HUB. That is unless they changed it in the last two months. Keep 6-8 half gallons in the freezer at all times for guests. OK that's at least 4 Pinocchio's. Never tried PM with almonds. Gotta try it. Go with Vanilla for apple pie, WPIX Coffee, Bittersweet Mint, Butter Pecan. Peachy Paterno (everyone asks for it) Peanut Butter with Marshmallow and of course Death by Chocolate for the grandchildren. Is your mouth watering yet SJlovesLions?

Guests can go buy their own Creamery Ice Cream, we buy Creamery Ice Cream for ourselves. ;)

Reactions: gslachta
I believe it was never their building to begin with. The Berkey Creamery was never the entire building, it was and remains just one named space within the building. While the S.O.P is to name an entire building after someone, when it is built, the official name for the entire building when it opened on 2006 was just the Food Science Building. Just like the Thomas Building was officially the Classroom and Office Building for many years and the Business Building is still not named after someone.

You give 3 Mill and you can call it whatever you want.
Oh and sorry it was Earl not George.(there are a lot of Berkey's in Somerset).

Reactions: step.eng69
For a quick in & out, park your car in the lot just past the creamery. It says "don't do this," but traffic cops aren't there frequently enough to make it a concern.

Guaranteed they'd be there when I tried that.

Fair enough.

With all of this said, I don't park there and hangout inside for a while. I walk straight to the door, get my stuff, and straight back. All in all, I'm parked for less than 10 minutes.

Reactions: SJLuvsLions
That is unless they changed it in the last two months. Keep 6-8 half gallons in the freezer at all times for guests. OK that's at least 4 Pinocchio's. Never tried PM with almonds. Gotta try it. Go with Vanilla for apple pie, WPIX Coffee, Bittersweet Mint, Butter Pecan. Peachy Paterno (everyone asks for it) Peanut Butter with Marshmallow and of course Death by Chocolate for the grandchildren. Is your mouth watering yet @SJLuvsLions?

@gslachta...maybe when they create a dick flavor (Spotted Dick is his favorite!) you may get @SJLuvsLions interest.

Then again, I read an online study that said that hard core alcoholics generally do not like overly sweet foods. So, I doubt he would eat any dick ice cream. @Tom McAndrew @Grove Lion

Last year or the year before it was free, You parked your car in approximately a dozen spots and put your hazard lights on for 20 minutes of parking to pick up ice cream. I donate thousands to the university and hate another nickel and dime charge. It's the principal. They screwed up the Sandusky "matter". Would have hoped the BOT would have made up difference out of their own pockets. lol By the way you can avoid the 75 cents by going on Sunday. There is no parking fee.That applies also to the Student Bookstore at the HUB. That is unless they changed it in the last two months. Keep 6-8 half gallons in the freezer at all times for guests. OK that's at least 4 Pinocchio's. Never tried PM with almonds. Gotta try it. Go with Vanilla for apple pie, WPIX Coffee, Bittersweet Mint, Butter Pecan. Peachy Paterno (everyone asks for it) Peanut Butter with Marshmallow and of course Death by Chocolate for the grandchildren. Is your mouth watering yet @SJLuvsLions?

Is a respected physician like yourself @gslachta REALLY attempting to entice a cardiac patient like me to consume some "artery cement"? Is this just revenge because I almost made you step on a gator? (Which would never have happened anyway if you hit your friggin ball in the fairway!!!)

Is a respected physician like yourself @gslachta REALLY attempting to entice a cardiac patient like me to consume some "artery cement"? Is this just revenge because I almost made you step on a gator? (Which would never have happened anyway if you hit your friggin ball in the fairway!!!)

Phewwww good to know he didn't have to spend jail time for the malpractice lawsuits. Was it 23 in one month? :D @gslachta @Tom McAndrew

So once again the OP posted a nice story about a positive experience at the creamery, and the posters tried to turn the thread negative with complaints about a parking fee in an adjoining very convenient garage. Sheesh, just build it into the cost of the ice cream and enjoy it.

So once again the OP posted a nice story about a positive experience at the creamery, and the posters tried to turn the thread negative with complaints about a parking fee in an adjoining very convenient garage. Sheesh, just build it into the cost of the ice cream and enjoy it.

Parking Ticket Blues Swirl Ice Cream?

All this talk about the Creamery, I just visited their website for the first time in a few years.

Gotta get my endocrinologist and primary care physician visits out of the way next Fri 6/29, but then might have to get some shipped the 604 miles to me. Have in the past brought some home after a football weekend.....several times when driving, once when flying.

TO DO: create a flavor for Franklin as was done for JoePa and Rose!

All this talk about the Creamery, I just visited their website for the first time in a few years.

Gotta get my endocrinologist and primary care physician visits out of the way next Fri 6/29, but then might have to get some shipped the 604 miles to me. Have in the past brought some home after a football weekend.....several times when driving, once when flying.

TO DO: create a flavor for Franklin as was done for JoePa and Rose!
When Franklin wins a Natty, I will personally petition for him to get his flavor.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT