ADVERTISEMENT

A thread I wish was archived - David Taylor verbals

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
After Nationals, I was thinking back to when this board (in its old incarnation) first heard news of Cael’s hiring and the threads in the immediate aftermath. I was just lurking at the time and generally remember euphoria, but I do remember 1 very key event - when DT verballed.

It was at this moment that the board insiders and recruitniks at that time (some of whom are still going strong on this board) really alerted the rest of us to the massive changes afoot. It was more than shocked giddiness; it was a general sentiment that the sleeping giant was done ****ing around.

Can you guys remember any details? Like I said - I wish threads from that next 6-12 months were archived. Would love to reminisce

Wasnt around then, did he actually NLI to ISU?
Why even bother verballing here, wasnt it a foregone conclusion?

I was on the “other board” (Scout) at the time. I recall it being roughly two-thirds joy and giddiness, one-third bittersweet. The one-third knew it was massive news and that things were going to change in a big way, but it was tough to be giddy when so much blood, sweat, and tears in one’s fandom had been committed to the old regime.

What stood out to me most was the sense of loyalty some felt toward Sunderland and crew (including recent addition Mark Perry) and to new recruits Q and Ruth. I was one of those guys. After experiencing the Moore twins and a build up into the Top 5 circa 2004, then landing Q and Ruth, it seemed like things were looking up regardless.

Anyway, some of you may remember those were the days that Byers used to post, and the fighting that ensued over a Cael vs Sunderland debate ultimately led to Iron Voice’s departure from the boards.

Wasnt around then, did he actually NLI to ISU?
Why even bother verballing here, wasnt it a foregone conclusion?
Turns out David following Cael was a forgone conclusion in DT's mind. Getting a Cael Sanderson was a brand new experience for PSU fans. Getting an Ohio recruit the caliber of DT was definitely not something PSU wrestling fans were accustomed to, nor would just routinely assume would happen.
DT did have a NLI with ISU and Kevin Jackson and ISU's athletic administration very graciously released him.

I was on the “other board” (Scout) at the time. I recall it being roughly two-thirds joy and giddiness, one-third bittersweet. The one-third knew it was massive news and that things were going to change in a big way, but it was tough to be giddy when so much blood, sweat, and tears in one’s fandom had been committed to the old regime.

What stood out to me most was the sense of loyalty some felt toward Sunderland and crew (including recent addition Mark Perry) and to new recruits Q and Ruth. I was one of those guys. After experiencing the Moore twins and a build up into the Top 5 circa 2004, then landing Q and Ruth, it seemed like things were looking up regardless.

Anyway, some of you may remember those were the days that Byers used to post, and the fighting that ensued over a Cael vs Sunderland debate ultimately led to Iron Voice’s departure from the boards.
I used to spend alot of time on Scout also. I had definitely come to the end of my rope with the Troy era. I had assumed we were getting Koll or McCoy and was happy with either. Two nights before the Cael announcement a gentleman in Clearfield ask me what I thought of the new hire, and I ask who it was because I had been working and hadn't heard anything. He said they hired Cael Sanderson and they were simply ironing out contract details. I did not believe him, why would Cael leave his alma mater for Penn State.
Turns out Cael had a plan.

This sounds about right, though I'd add that a number of people saw Taylor as a one-off. Meaning DT was obviously a great talent, and a great addition to Q + Ed, but not the start of something much bigger.

This was the crew that set the bar at beating Lehigh. (And, worse yet, many on the Scout board wanted PSU to recruit District 6 hard -- Cael needs that NW Regional 4th placer from Lewistown.)

For them, it was more of an incremental enlightenment:
- Taylor was a great addition but just one guy
- We landed a big 2010 class
- We landed Nico and who is this McIntosh guy?
- We won nationals -- we might be good!

Turns out David following Cael was a forgone conclusion in DT's mind. Getting a Cael Sanderson was a brand new experience for PSU fans. Getting an Ohio recruit the caliber of DT was definitely not something PSU wrestling fans were accustomed to, nor would just routinely assume would happen.
DT did have a NLI with ISU and Kevin Jackson and ISU's athletic administration very graciously released him.
Kinda sorta, mostly true.

Taylor went to Iowa State because Cael and didn't really look around much.

When Cael came to PSU and ISU granted DT's release, Taylor then looked at several other schools. I remember he visited at least 3 -- PSU, Ohio State, and I can't remember the other(s). Most thought he would end up at PSU, and that did happen, but he did at least go thru the process to ensure it was the right decision.

This sounds about right, though I'd add that a number of people saw Taylor as a one-off. Meaning DT was obviously a great talent, and a great addition to Q + Ed, but not the start of something much bigger.

This was the crew that set the bar at beating Lehigh. (And, worse yet, many on the Scout board wanted PSU to recruit District 6 hard -- Cael needs that NW Regional 4th placer from Lewistown.)

For them, it was more of an incremental enlightenment:
- Taylor was a great addition but just one guy
- We landed a big 2010 class
- We landed Nico and who is this McIntosh guy?
- We won nationals -- we might be good!
Besides Taylor, though, I remember when news broke that the Altons were coming, and it really sunk in that the types of recruits we could not only dream of, but actually expect, might actually start coming in bunches rather than just one or two every 3-5 years.

How ya feelin' now?

Besides Taylor, though, I remember when news broke that the Altons were coming, and it really sunk in that the types of recruits we could not only dream of, but actually expect, might actually start coming in bunches rather than just one or two every 3-5 years.
Yeah, getting the twins was also huge. That was another big sign for many. As in a giant Vegas-style flashing neon billboard.

I didn't list them because they were D6, and that didn't cause eyes to open among the Scout D6 club. Of course PSU got them, they're local boys. Or, alternately: thank God our coach is recruiting the local boys.

I remember making some wild predictions soon as we got Cael. Like Cael winning 9 out of 11. 32 national champs in 12 or so years. A few 3 timers. Cael building the top RTC in the country. Sell out streaks at Rec. Iowa fans constantly crying because State College became the Mecca of wrestling in the U.S. Made all kinds crazy predictions..

Umm…. Are we sure those threads from back then aren’t archived?

Just asking for no real reason…

Last edited:

Cael vs. Sutherland as an actual debate. Jesus h. Christ - that is classic shake your head stuff

Like the guys who pine for JayPa

After Nationals, I was thinking back to when this board (in its old incarnation) first heard news of Cael’s hiring and the threads in the immediate aftermath. I was just lurking at the time and generally remember euphoria, but I do remember 1 very key event - when DT verballed.

It was at this moment that the board insiders and recruitniks at that time (some of whom are still going strong on this board) really alerted the rest of us to the massive changes afoot. It was more than shocked giddiness; it was a general sentiment that the sleeping giant was done ****ing around.

Can you guys remember any details? Like I said - I wish threads from that next 6-12 months were archived. Would love to reminisce
I don't have the thread. But would you settle for the original BWI article breaking the David Taylor news?

Cael vs. Sutherland as an actual debate. Jesus h. Christ - that is classic shake your head stuff

Like the guys who pine for JayPa
I don't think there was any real Cael vs. Sunderland debate. It was more like Sunderland was part of the family, so they wanted him to succeed and were a little sad it didn't work out that way.

A little of that is just being human.

But everybody knew the program was not where even the Lehigh-obsessed wanted it to be.

Get that MFer out of this game right now!
Jay was so universally disliked that during halftime Jay tore into the defensive side of the room, tossing chairs and moving in a straight line towards Mauti while also screaming and cursing him. As Jay got close to Mauti and nobody was moving to intervene Jay stopped and pointed at Mauti telling him never talk to me like that again. Not a single player or coach was going stop Jay from doing something that was either going to get him fired or his ass stomped.

Jay was so universally disliked that during halftime Jay tore into the defensive side of the room, tossing chairs and moving in a straight line towards Mauti while also screaming and cursing him. As Jay got close to Mauti and nobody was moving to intervene Jay stopped and pointed at Mauti telling him never talk to me like that again. Not a single player or coach was going stop Jay from doing something that was either going to get him fired or his ass stomped.
"That dude was an example of everything a coach should not be."

I don't think there was any real Cael vs. Sunderland debate. It was more like Sunderland was part of the family, so they wanted him to succeed and were a little sad it didn't work out that way.

But everybody knew the program was not where even the Lehigh-obsessed wanted it to be.
^^ This.

Like I said, blood, sweat, and tears in fandom. When you feel emotionally invested in a crew, embracing a change can feel disloyal, no matter how much common sense is at play. Bittersweet excitement is really the best way I can describe how I was feeling at the time.

Of course, I’m also a sucker for underdogs, to a fault.

Reactions: danoftw and mcpat
I remember making some wild predictions soon as we got Cael. Like Cael winning 9 out of 11. 32 national champs in 12 or so years. A few 3 timers. Cael building the top RTC in the country. Sell out streaks at Rec. Iowa fans constantly crying because State College became the Mecca of wrestling in the U.S. Made all kinds crazy predictions..

Umm…. Are we sure those threads from back then aren’t archived?

Just asking for no real reason…
I think those threads have been relegated to Iowa purgatory. 😉

Yeah, getting the twins was also huge. That was another big sign for many. As in a giant Vegas-style flashing neon billboard.

I didn't list them because they were D6, and that didn't cause eyes to open among the Scout D6 club. Of course PSU got them, they're local boys. Or, alternately: thank God our coach is recruiting the local boys.
I’m not a PA native, so I’m afraid those sorts of issues are lost on me. I was just a guy in his mid-20s who spent time in a number of states and got hooked on watching D1 wrestling while in grad school at PSU, enamored with the crazy stuff the Moore twins did on the mat (compared with my rudimentary HS skills . . . not to mention general lack of joint flexibility and cat-like hips).

I do seem to recall a lot of angst over PA’s best always going elsewhere, culminating in Jake Herbert to Northwestern. The Altons committing to PSU seemed (to my novice eye) like a tangible change in the tide.

How ya feelin' now?
I feel like my feelings (not all of which are disclosed) were valid.
Beyond that, I’d say I’m feelin’

200.gif

I’m not a PA native, so I’m afraid those sorts of issues are lost on me. I was just a guy in his mid-20s who spent time in a number of states and got hooked on watching D1 wrestling while in grad school at PSU, enamored with the crazy stuff the Moore twins did on the mat (compared with my rudimentary HS skills . . . not to mention general lack of joint flexibility and cat-like hips).

I do seem to recall a lot of angst over PA’s best always going elsewhere, culminating in Jake Herbert to Northwestern. The Altons committing to PSU seemed (to my novice eye) like a tangible change in the tide.
The worst angst was over losing Jordan Oliver to OKST -- which was unfortunate considering Oliver's need to get away from the region. We should've been better than that.

Lost in the weeds is that PSU probably wouldn't have gotten the Altons or Nico without Cael. Not sure if Koll could've kept them home. To borrow a phrase, all 3 might have ended up hating the sport.

I remember thinking that they will do what Penn State always seemed to do, and that is to hire someone connected to Penn State. I remember McCoy and Flynn being talked about. I thought it would be Kerry. I can’t speak for most, but when Cael was mentioned, I refused to believe it. It did not “fit” with PSU’s M. O. So, it was a big surprise that PSU went outside its comfort zone.

ADVERTISEMENT