ADVERTISEMENT

A miasma of delusions

Am I wrong in thinking that in the past, under Joe, players came to PSU because they wanted to play for Joe and PSU. I don't think NFL was foremost on their minds. Maybe in their senior year. In the 60's and 70's I do not remembering anyone opting out for fear of damaging their NFL chances. It is a different mentality and I blame all of. us including the NCAA and NFL
Opt out only became a thing the last decade. Really five years. McCaffery is the first one I remember

I listened to Joe Pa a lot, radio, T.V. etc., one of the few coaches who actually talked X's and O's like Madden and Bud Wilkenson .
Three points.

Joe said there are track players playing football and football players who run track.

Tackling he said you need shock, that point of impact where the defender stuns the ball carrier or blocked player.

When Randy White was playing at Maryland and reports bragged about weights and lifting one of Joe's players said " are we here to play football or lift weights " emphasis was on the game of football first.
I don't know if using Randy White as an example here proves your point lol, but I do think you have a point.

Reactions: MacNit07
I don't know if using Randy White as an example here proves your point lol, but I do think you have a point.
I guess my point is the emphasis Maryland put on their team strength before playing PSU, PSU won the game. Writers alluded to most UM players were as strong as RW.
Randy White was one of the best Defensive Lineman i've seen play the game.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I guess my point is the emphasis Maryland put on their team strength before playing PSU, PSU won the game. Writers alluded to most UM players were as strong as RW.
Randy White was one of the best Defensive Lineman i've seen play the game.
Gotcha, people over estimate strength in these situations all the time. Strong enough is strong enough. A very strong powerlifter/strength coach , Jim Wendler told me once you only need maybe a 400 lb bench tops and maybe a 600 deadlift strength wise for any position in the NFL. The rest is athletic ability, technique, desire etc.

Reactions: HazletonLion
Gotcha, people over estimate strength in these situations all the time. Strong enough is strong enough. A very strong powerlifter/strength coach , Jim Wendler told me once you only need maybe a 400 lb bench tops and maybe a 600 deadlift strength wise for any position in the NFL. The rest is athletic ability, technique, desire etc.
I couldn't have said it better, that was my point but your words said it best.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I couldn't have said it better, that was my point but your words said it best.
A 325 lb left tackle shouldn't bench only say 225 for example, and maybe he'll do over 400 naturally but at that level he should maintain strength and health with the weights, not try to set powerlifting records.

Franklin recruits the players everyone recruits. There isn’t a program in the country that wouldn’t take Smith out of HS. I’m not sure who are all these freak athletes I keep reading we have. The problem is we don’t have enough athletes
No. We don't have enough football players.

Reactions: Omar81
Am I wrong in thinking that in the past, under Joe, players came to PSU because they wanted to play for Joe and PSU. I don't think NFL was foremost on their minds. Maybe in their senior year. In the 60's and 70's I do not remembering anyone opting out for fear of damaging their NFL chances. It is a different mentality and I blame all of. us including the NCAA and NFL
Yes and no. Plenty played a d excelled in NFL…there were stretches when PSU has as many or more in NFL than anyone. Would dwarf current count.

Was it Day’s, Meyer’s, or Yurcich’s?
Someone was implementing the game plan and calling the plays. If that wasn’t Yurcich, then he was paid handsomely to be a spectator. For some reason, I don’t think that’s the case.

Anyone with a brain knows it's Day's offense. Funny thing is MY had the keys to his offense at OkSt, since then, OSU and Texas he has had to run the head coaches offense. I'm sure he had some input but the scheme was the head coaches. Who knows who is driving the one we are playing. I'm sure it's mostly MY, but when those QB draws start filtering in you got to wonder.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Anyone with a brain knows it's Day's offense. Funny thing is MY had the keys to his offense at OkSt, since then, OSU and Texas he has had to run the head coaches offense. I'm sure he had some input but the scheme was the head coaches. Who knows who is driving the one we are playing. I'm sure it's mostly MY, but when those QB draws start filtering in you got to wonder.

Yep, although he wasn't even running the offense at Ohio State. He was the passing game coordinator and QB coach -- Kevin Wilson was the OC, and Day was the playcaller on offense. So he was basically the #3 guy on offense.

At Texas, he was the legit OC. And Herman handed playcalling duties over to Yurcich even though he shaped that offense.

I suspect he's in a similar situation here, where he's calling the plays but Franklin still influences big parts of the scheme and strategy. Which isn't unusual.

He hasn't been bad, IMO. I think fans in general overhype new hires, and he was no different. Too many people credited him with those Okie State, OSU, and Texas offenses, which was not quite accurate.

That’s what the Penn State football program has descended into. Read the comments by players and coaches after the horrendous debacle we witnessed in the Outback Bowl! “We stepped up”. Really proud of the way the guys came together and played hard”. What a bunch of abject nonsense! We looked terrible, like we’ve never played football before - defense got trucked, offense was a complete disaster. We had a 5th year QB that played like a JV scrub from the scout team. Our blocking was atrocious. This program has imploded since Covid - .500 and worse than that in conference 8-10.
We have a fool for a head coach who thinks recruiting and weight room numbers equals a winning program. Reality to Coach Franklin: WINS equals a winning program. A winning culture, which you seem incapable of building equals a winning program. We have a mediocre program that has a bunch of me-first prima donnas prepping for NFL careers and producing lots of losses.
Nittany Nation wake the hell up and face reality - this program is in a bunch of trouble, with no one, not the coaches (who did an awful job this season), not the AD, who perpetrated the delusion that we’re a great program), not the players (who apparently are never held accountable for losing all the time), and not even the reporters covering the program, who act more like stenographers or sycophants than journalists willing to face reality. This board is (mostly) no better- pillorying anyone that sees these garbage results and calls it accurately.
What has happened to Penn State football?
28 likes and counting!

Where are all the coach worshipping clowns?

Marsha 23?
Uro?
Rupert Rip E to Clown Pa?

No. We don't have enough football players.
He doesn't recruit football players. He recruits athletes who don't know how to play football then he switches positions on them, makes a punter into a horrible field goal kicker, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT