ADVERTISEMENT

A miasma of delusions

ShoreLion85

Oct 17, 2016
That’s what the Penn State football program has descended into. Read the comments by players and coaches after the horrendous debacle we witnessed in the Outback Bowl! “We stepped up”. Really proud of the way the guys came together and played hard”. What a bunch of abject nonsense! We looked terrible, like we’ve never played football before - defense got trucked, offense was a complete disaster. We had a 5th year QB that played like a JV scrub from the scout team. Our blocking was atrocious. This program has imploded since Covid - .500 and worse than that in conference 8-10.
We have a fool for a head coach who thinks recruiting and weight room numbers equals a winning program. Reality to Coach Franklin: WINS equals a winning program. A winning culture, which you seem incapable of building equals a winning program. We have a mediocre program that has a bunch of me-first prima donnas prepping for NFL careers and producing lots of losses.
Nittany Nation wake the hell up and face reality - this program is in a bunch of trouble, with no one, not the coaches (who did an awful job this season), not the AD, who perpetrated the delusion that we’re a great program), not the players (who apparently are never held accountable for losing all the time), and not even the reporters covering the program, who act more like stenographers or sycophants than journalists willing to face reality. This board is (mostly) no better- pillorying anyone that sees these garbage results and calls it accurately.
What has happened to Penn State football?

That’s what the Penn State football program has descended into. Read the comments by players and coaches after the horrendous debacle we witnessed in the Outback Bowl! “We stepped up”. Really proud of the way the guys came together and played hard”. What a bunch of abject nonsense! We looked terrible, like we’ve never played football before - defense got trucked, offense was a complete disaster. We had a 5th year QB that played like a JV scrub from the scout team. Our blocking was atrocious. This program has imploded since Covid - .500 and worse than that in conference 8-10.
We have a fool for a head coach who thinks recruiting and weight room numbers equals a winning program. Reality to Coach Franklin: WINS equals a winning program. A winning culture, which you seem incapable of building equals a winning program. We have a mediocre program that has a bunch of me-first prima donnas prepping for NFL careers and producing lots of losses.
Nittany Nation wake the hell up and face reality - this program is in a bunch of trouble, with no one, not the coaches (who did an awful job this season), not the AD, who perpetrated the delusion that we’re a great program), not the players (who apparently are never held accountable for losing all the time), and not even the reporters covering the program, who act more like stenographers or sycophants than journalists willing to face reality. This board is (mostly) no better- pillorying anyone that sees these garbage results and calls it accurately.
Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: psuno1 and PSUTENN1
I thought the same thing about the post game comments. They were not based in reality. There were some positives but overall it was an effort not worth bragging about. There were no halftime adjustments. The offensive scheme is not working.

Hope you feel better.

I thought the same thing about the post game comments. They were not based in reality. There were some positives but overall it was an effort not worth bragging about. There were no halftime adjustments. The offensive scheme is not working.
No offensive scheme is going to work with these offensive linemen. MY has had success at several programs. He’s highly regarded for a reason. I really don’t think it’s him or his schemes. It’s primarily missed blocks by both the line and running backs in pass protection. I can’t tell you how many times I saw a tackle stand there with his hands up but not engaging the D-end, or guards miss a blitzing backer or completely miss a stunt.

This is more than a bit over the top. We have a veteran QB who, by all accounts, is a really good kid, but doesn't have the skill set to lead the offense with any consistency. Solve that problem, and the O, and by extension the team, will look a lot different IMO.

Reactions: bytir
No offensive scheme is going to work with these offensive linemen. MY has had success at several programs. He’s highly regarded for a reason. I really don’t think it’s him or his schemes. It’s primarily missed blocks by both the line and running backs in pass protection. I can’t tell you how many times I saw a tackle stand there with his hands up but not engaging the D-end, or guards miss a blitzing backer or completely miss a stunt.
Yurcich’s offense worked fine at to&u in Fields’ first season. The bullsh*t that it won’t work in the B1G is just that, bullsh*t.

No, it was a good post.

You are the guy who laughed at a grieving person’s post, for which you never apologized.
Nor will I. That person is an assh0le. Anything that causes him grief is not only ok with me, but is supported by me.

You may think I’m an assh0le, and I’m ok with that too. A simple solution for you would be to ignore me. You’re welcome.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
Yurcich’s offense worked fine at to&u in Fields’ first season. The bullsh*t that it won’t work in the B1G is just that, bullsh*t.
I’m not slamming Yurcich, and think he can be successful. But that was Ryan Day’s offense. There’s a reason why Yurcich leaving OSU didn’t really generate any angst in Columbus.

Reactions: katchthis
I’m not slamming Yurcich, and think he can be successful. But that was Ryan Day’s offense. There’s a reason why Yurcich leaving OSU didn’t really generate any angst in Columbus.
Was it Day’s, Meyer’s, or Yurcich’s?
Someone was implementing the game plan and calling the plays. If that wasn’t Yurcich, then he was paid handsomely to be a spectator. For some reason, I don’t think that’s the case.

Was it Day’s, Meyer’s, or Yurcich’s?
Someone was implementing the game plan and calling the plays. If that wasn’t Yurcich, then he was paid handsomely to be a spectator. For some reason, I don’t think that’s the case.
Day's.

Do you think this OSU offense is Kevin Wilson's offense? Of course not. It's a bit like being the DC at Georgia under Kirby Smart. Yeah, you're calling the plays, but that's Kirby Smart's defense.

At least UGA's DC calls the plays. Yurcich didn't call plays at OSU. And as QB coach, he was second to Ryan Day in developing the QB position.

True, but could it be that the blocking designs being used do no match up with the scheme, thus the continual mix ups?

Penn state's last undefeated season was just over 27 years ago. We haven't sniffed a mnc or made the playoffs then. We are not elite , we're okay.

Right or wrong their are two types of coaches. A players coach and a coaches coach. We know which one JF is so why are we questioning it?

There is something that is amiss and needs to be addressed. No question. I do keep in mind that we started off the season well with Clifford intact and Mustipher still the run stuffer. No doubt would have won at Iowa if they were healthy whole game and Illinois would have been different. We have had some bad breaks. Keep in mind that Paterno went through this as well and he finally rebuilt team. But he had stable coaching staff (for most part) and the toughest DL and OL year in and year out. Constant flow of DL and OL all-Americans to NFL. OFten it was toughness that led to victories and upsets (Miami 1987). It is nice to have the 5 star recruits, but you must coach toughness - downright meanness if you are to win in the Big Ten. Franklin needs to thank Clifford and get him to move on and start with the 2 new recruits and Christian. And, he needs to get a really tough line coach (Munchak). Finally, what the hell happened in 2nd half of the game?? 30 seconds per play, no run, no screens, no throws over the middle. Where the hell were the adjustments.??? Where are the Wisniwwski's, the Q.Q. Shipley, Keith Dorney, Mike Hartenstine, Sean Farrell, etc., etc., etc.

Last edited:
Nor will I. That person is an assh0le. Anything that causes him grief is not only ok with me, but is supported by me.

You may think I’m an assh0le, and I’m ok with that too. A simple solution for you would be to ignore me. You’re welcome.
Anyone who roots for others to experience grief is a lost individual. Even Jesus on the cross prayed for those crucifying him. It's about time for you to get saved before it's too late, because, unlike you, I'm hoping you never experience grief and/or injustice.

Last edited:
Anyone who roots for others to experience grief is a lost individual. Even Jesus on the cross prayed for those crucifying him. It's about time for you to get saved before it's too late, because, unlike you, I'm hoping you never experience grief and/or justice.
I dont claim to be Jesus. Thats an unachievable standard.
Ive dealt with grief in my life. Ive never gone on a public forum and detailed it ad nauseum.
Think of me what you will. You have the right and ability to simply ignore me.

Anyone who roots for others to experience grief is a lost individual. Even Jesus on the cross prayed for those crucifying him. It's about time for you to get saved before it's too late, because, unlike you, I'm hoping you never experience grief and/or justice.
There have been millions of posts wishing for various people to experience grief on this board. This is normally directed towards BOT, OAG, MM, opposing fans, coaches, etc. These posts are usually well-liked.

This is more than a bit over the top. We have a veteran QB who, by all accounts, is a really good kid, but doesn't have the skill set to lead the offense with any consistency. Solve that problem, and the O, and by extension the team, will look a lot different IMO.
Completely agree. The opt-outs were a major negative factor in the bowl loss, but I'm not sure what can be done about it going forward. And I am really disappointed about Clifford coming back for another year. It puts the coaches in a really bad spot.

I dont claim to be Jesus. Thats an unachievable standard.
Ive dealt with grief in my life. Ive never gone on a public forum and detailed it ad nauseum.
Think of me what you will. You have the right and ability to simply ignore me.
Raymond, I joined the board because I had hoped to gain insights from others who pull for PSU. I try not to ignore anyone. To each his own I guess, but hatred doesn't do it for me. I guess I'm one of the strange ones who don't like to receive that or dish it out! But the world is going in that direction more and more.

I am no expert on schemes but I have think to OL was recruited and coached based on offensive philosophy. I just don't think any of us have a clue as to what the philosophy is any more and I am not sure CJF does either. What I don't like about Franklin is that he is not system driven. He builds a team around player talent then rides them hard - Saquon, McSorley, Sanders, Clifford, Dotson. One of those players goes down and the whole thing crumbles. I think Singleton might set PSU record for freshman. That will not get us toward BT title. I don't see any dominant talent on offense at all. Parker is nice but no game break speed.

I am no expert on schemes but I have think to OL was recruited and coached based on offensive philosophy. I just don't think any of us have a clue as to what the philosophy is any more and I am not sure CJF does either. What I don't like about Franklin is that he is not system driven. He builds a team around player talent then rides them hard - Saquon, McSorley, Sanders, Clifford, Dotson. One of those players goes down and the whole thing crumbles. I think Singleton might set PSU record for freshman. That will not get us toward BT title. I don't see any dominant talent on offense at all. Parker is nice but no game break speed.
It is a huge year to see if Gault is worth an ounce of what they pay him. We have some grossly undersized players trying to stop a running game on defense, that aint gonna work.

Miasma, excellent choice! In addition, we can't tackle for $hit!!

There is something that is amiss and needs to be addressed. No question. I do keep in mind that we started off the season well with Clifford intact and Mustipher still the run stuffer. No doubt would have won at Iowa if they were healthy whole game and Illinois would have been different. We have had some bad breaks. Keep in mind that Paterno went through this as well and he finally rebuilt team. But he had stable coaching staff (for most part) and the toughest DL and OL year in and year out. Constant flow of DL and OL all-Americans to NFL. OFten it was toughness that led to victories and upsets (Miami 1987). It is nice to have the 5 star recruits, but you must coach toughness - downright meanness if you are to win in the Big Ten. Franklin needs to thank Clifford and get him to move on and start with the 2 new recruits and Christian. And, he needs to get a really tough line coach (Munchak). Finally, what the hell happened in 2nd half of the game?? 30 seconds per play, no run, no screens, no throws over the middle. Where the hell were the adjustments.??? Where are the Wisniwwski's, the Q.Q. Shipley, Keith Dorney, Mike Hartenstine, Sean Farrell, etc., etc., etc.
As Jimmy Cefalo said so eloquently at Joe's memorial. He took the sons of farmers, miners and steelworkers and taught them they could be something great. Those were hardworking, humble and appreciative kids who didn't mind getting their hands dirty and noses broken for success. What is being recruited now in the tenches are high profile athletes with preferred measurables whose goal is being drafted. Physicality no so much. Do whatever is necessary to win individual battles not so much. This issue is not going away until CJF understands in the BIG you need tough roadgrinders upfront. Maybe spend a little more time in farm country around PA and the midwest and less time in DMV. Those two and three stars who want to play badly can turn out just fine. Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota make it work well year in and year out.

As Jimmy Cefalo said so eloquently at Joe's memorial. He took the sons of farmers, miners and steelworkers and taught them they could be something great. Those were hardworking, humble and appreciative kids who didn't mind getting their hands dirty and noses broken for success. What is being recruited now in the tenches are high profile athletes with preferred measurables whose goal is being drafted. Physicality no so much. Do whatever is necessary to win individual battles not so much. This issue is not going away until CJF understands in the BIG you need tough roadgrinders upfront. Maybe spend a little more time in farm country around PA and the midwest and less time in DMV. Those two and three stars who want to play badly can turn out just fine. Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota make it work well year in and year out.
One of the most underrated players of the JF era comes to mind when I read that comment. Robert Windsor came in a made himself a down right dirty DT. I even think he played a few years in the NFL.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I can't imagine that amount of OPT OUTS ( a very weak definition ) under Joe. It's true in what you say i don't know if some of the prep school academy type players are already tainted by the me philosophy or are you better with the hard nose working kids with the ultimate desire to play at Penn State.
What stood out to me on defense were some tacklers lunging with shoulders instead of wrapping up. On offense the same can be said of blocking that's O line, TE's, WR's and RB's putrid effort.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
From 2018 to 2021 Wisconsin recruited one 5* five 4* and five 3* so this myth they are turning low ranked guys into NFL lineman is false

From 2018 to 2021 Wisconsin recruited one 5* five 4* and five 3* so this myth they are turning low ranked guys into NFL lineman is false
I don't think it's a low star ranking thing, more a toughness thing. I'm thinking they're getting more guys who aren't afraid to hit.

I can't imagine that amount of OPT OUTS ( a very weak definition ) under Joe. It's true in what you say i don't know if some of the prep school academy type players are already tainted by the me philosophy or are you better with the hard nose working kids with the ultimate desire to play at Penn State.
What stood out to me on defense were some tacklers lunging with shoulders instead of wrapping up. On offense the same can be said of blocking that's O line, TE's, WR's and RB's putrid effort.
M Thoughts:

1. Franklin and company are more friends than coaches. It is a lot easier to bail on that.
2. Franklin sells the "best for the kid" as a recruiting ploy. He then has to back it up. Most people would say Tangelo opting out is a head scratcher but James can't because it ruins his recruiting.
3. Franklin recruits athletes in the hopes they turn in to football players. When they don't you see what happens. B. Smith will blow away the numbers at the combine, but he isn't a very good football player.

M Thoughts:

1. Franklin and company are more friends than coaches. It is a lot easier to bail on that.
2. Franklin sells the "best for the kid" as a recruiting ploy. He then has to back it up. Most people would say Tangelo opting out is a head scratcher but James can't because it ruins his recruiting.
3. Franklin recruits athletes in the hopes they turn in to football players. When they don't you see what happens. B. Smith will blow away the numbers at the combine, but he isn't a very good football player.
Franklin recruits the players everyone recruits. There isn’t a program in the country that wouldn’t take Smith out of HS. I’m not sure who are all these freak athletes I keep reading we have. The problem is we don’t have enough athletes

Franklin recruits the players everyone recruits. There isn’t a program in the country that wouldn’t take Smith out of HS.
Nobody said he did't or they wouldn't. My poijt was to sell rural PA he needs to have some kind of schtick when it comes to recruiting and he sells himself as a players coach that starts with I love you and ends with I love you.

I don't blame kids at all. That is how capitalism works. The sheer amount of money being made by mediocre coaches and staff is unfathomable last 5 years, hundred of millions p*ssed away on loaded contracts. Same with all the ESPN/CBS/Fox/ABC execs & bowl boards who pay themselves handsomely off of kids talent and dedication. This is 24/7 sport if they want even sniff at NFL riches. Even two or three year contract could set them/families for life. I like the transfer portal but it is a game changer and the ones slow to react will fall farther behind. Right now, stars in eyes kids (and let's face it - parents) will flippantly transfer. Like Tate Martells of the world and eventually get zero shot at NFL. In a few years, once the data proves transfer portal not being cure all for NFL exposure and playing time then you might get gems. You want to avoid bad attitude/ "me" players/families. The staff needs someone always tracking players, looking at tape and communicating with them. We did not use it wisely last year except Arnold E. Tangelo was mediocre at best.

I listened to Joe Pa a lot, radio, T.V. etc., one of the few coaches who actually talked X's and O's like Madden and Bud Wilkenson .
Three points.

Joe said there are track players playing football and football players who run track.

Tackling he said you need shock, that point of impact where the defender stuns the ball carrier or blocked player.

When Randy White was playing at Maryland and reports bragged about weights and lifting one of Joe's players said " are we here to play football or lift weights " emphasis was on the game of football first.

Am I wrong in thinking that in the past, under Joe, players came to PSU because they wanted to play for Joe and PSU. I don't think NFL was foremost on their minds. Maybe in their senior year. In the 60's and 70's I do not remembering anyone opting out for fear of damaging their NFL chances. It is a different mentality and I blame all of. us including the NCAA and NFL

ADVERTISEMENT