ADVERTISEMENT

A little travel story.

Roar More

Aug 19, 2004
I am slowly winding my way home to the Burgh after dropping my wife off at LAX on Sunday. I was tooling along today on my favorite road, US 50 through Nevada and Utah, when I start to get the nods within a half hour of I-15. I pulled off the shoulder for a little nap because I would rather be a late Roar More than the late Roar More. I am awakened by a rap on the passenger door window. A Utah state cop is checking to see if I am OK, which I appreciate. I explain why I pulled over. He says he noticed my Penn State license plate and asked if I am a wrestling fan. I tell him I am a season ticket holder and we proceed to have a 5-10 minute discussion on the team. This guy was a wrestler in high school and had gone to camps run by Cael's dad. He knew all of the starters and commiserated over the loss of so many starters and Penn State's inability to get a good, consistent 125 since Nico. He is still holding out hope that we can win it all again this year, but agreed it will be tough.

I ended up giving him my name, email address and phone number on the back of an extra ticket stub I had from the Ohio State match. Who knows? I may end up taking a Utah State cop to a match some day.

Last edited:
I am slowly winding my way home to the Burgh after dropping my wife off at LAX on Sunday. I was tooling along today on my favorite road, US 50 through Nevada and Utah, when I start to get the nods within a half hour of I-15. I pulled off the shoulder for a little nap because I would rather be a late Roar More than the late Roar More. I am awakened by a rap on the passenger door window. A Utah state cop is checking to see if I am OK, which I appreciate. I explain why I pulled over. He says he noticed my Penn State license plate and asked if I am a wrestling fan. I tell him I am a season ticket holder and we proceed to have a 5-10 minute discussion on the team. This guy was a wrestler in high school and had gone to camps run by Cael's dad. He knew all of the starters and commiserated over the loss of so many starters and Penn State's inability to get a good, consistent 125 since Nico. He is still holding out hope that we can win it all again this year, but agreed it will be tough.

I ended up giving him my name, email address and phone number on the back of an extra ticket stub I had from the Ohio State match. Who knows? I may end up taking a Utah State cop to a match some day.
Great story, but I've got to ask... wouldn't it have been easier for your wife to fly out of Pittsburgh?

That is a very unusual drive on US 50 in Nevada. I rolled Fernley to Ely last fall and it was very relaxing. I’m going to guess the average speed out on US 50 is well in excess of 85. Great story about the Utah cop!

Love this. What a great story!

She did fly out of Pittsburgh.. I like to drive and visit friends and family along the way. So whenever we have a reason to go to the west coaast, I do pick up and delivery at the airport.. Retirement is great!
Your name should be Antaeus, since you stay grounded. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT