ADVERTISEMENT

A Little Scrap Of History For You Young Folks

DavidM

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2002
Annapolis, MD
When I think back to Penn State's first national championship, against Georgia in the 1983 Sugar Bowl, I really remember two moments. First, of course, the long TD pass to Greg Garrity--who could forget that? But the second is a short pass in the flat for about 5-6 yards, near the end of the game, when the Lions were trying to keep possession of the ball. Georgia was convinced that, on third down, Paterno would be conservative, "play the percentages," and they'd stuff the run and get the ball back to try to win the game with a field goal. Instead, Blackledge made a safe pass, they got a first down, and the game was essentially over.

Maybe somebody should suggest that a coach or two watch that game.

In the last decade or so of Joepa's coaching career, one of the biggest reasons why I was so frustrated with the coach was that I thought that he and his assistants weren't doing a good job of utilizing the talents of our players. That the players weren't getting the coaching and play-calling that they deserved. Suddenly, I'm getting that same feeling. I'll leave it at that.

I'm far from demanding the removal of any coaches on the staff. Maybe I'm suggesting that the coaching might be improved.

Reactions: step.eng69 and Ski
You should bring up the dark years too maybe for the sake of levity. UM in 05 where he couldn’t close out. Good coaches lose games. Irrational fans overreact. Hence this site, but let’s let it all out now.

Was my post unreasonable? Inappropriate? Inaccurate?
Every coach ever has what if’s following a loss. If anything your post is all too typical and that isn’t a compliment. Of course the coaches and HC were subpar yesterday. Penalties and 3 dropped picks weren’t what was coached, nor a missed FG, but they did influence the outcome. This team simply isn’t there yet, plain and simple.

I think the coaching staffs from Georgia, Washington, West Virginia, Penn State, Wisconsin, Miami, Auburn, and Colorado (Heck throw in Notre Dame too) should all get together and watch PSU's execution at the end of a nat'l championship season from 35 years ago to see how it should have been done. Just be careful not to accidentally put in the tape of the 79 Sugar Bowl.

I think the coaching staffs from Georgia, Washington, West Virginia, Penn State, Wisconsin, Miami, Auburn, and Colorado (Heck throw in Notre Dame too) should all get together and watch PSU's execution at the end of a nat'l championship season from 35 years ago to see how it should have been done. Just be careful not to accidentally put in the tape of the 79 Sugar Bowl.
No we can only highlight the wins when whining. Asking for balance is absurd. Dantonio pushes his team to win, that is what Franklin should note. Not Joe’s win 30 years ago.

Reactions: nits74
Thank you for the suggestion. The end of the 79 Sugar Bowl was a marvelous example of what not to do. I just looked at your list of upset losses from yesterday. Did any of those head coaches lose consecutive games in the closing minutes because they played too conservatively?

Some marvelous passive-aggressive responses here. Thanks.

And La Jolla, I wasn't being a Joebot in my initial comments. It was one example of good aggressive play-calling.

Thank you for the suggestion. The end of the 79 Sugar Bowl was a marvelous example of what not to do. I just looked at your list of upset losses from yesterday. Did any of those head coaches lose consecutive games in the closing minutes because they played too conservatively?

Some marvelous passive-aggressive responses here. Thanks.
I missed your posts and knowledge after his wins, hmmmmm why is that? No need to answer. Funny thing someone using Joe to talk about conservative football, priceless. Hey black pot, meet black kettle.

I used one example of aggressive play-calling by Joepa. You don't need to point out to me that Joepa was frequently a victim of the "play the percentages" disease.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT