ADVERTISEMENT

A little perspective from the HR Forum

82bordeaux

Nov 19, 2019
eriespecialty.com
I know that we all use terms like "heartbroken" and "tragedy" when describing losing the NCAA Championship. I'm not saying it's wrong, I've used those terms myself. But this poster on HR created a thread with the following post titled "I've got some good news for today.." It makes me pause and think how lucky all these wrestlers are that are so fit, and have such bright futures. So while we feel the sadness of what we have lost, let's be thankful for all of our gifts. This poster's story is below.

My oldest daughter, Evie, is being treated for brain cancer, in which she's approaching the average timespan of life for those who have it. It is considered terminal. Anyway, today, she had her scan and it is negative. It's also the exact same day my son, Joe, is out at nationals preparing to throw shot, and it got cancelled since it's NCAA stuff.

My son was really down, and then heard the good news about the scan and responded:

Evie, yet again you've given me reason to smile and appreciate my blessings. Just got told I won't get to compete at nationals and that my season is over. Even though I'm devastated, I honestly, after hearing about your scans, don't care because I still have my big sister. Thanks for the perspective, I love you and your family.

1 HoundedHawk, Yesterday at 7:14 PM

While I’m bummed out as much as the next guy, this really does puts things in perspective. There are always much greater tragedies in the world.
Enjoy this great day everyone!

Reactions: BoHunter0210
I know that we all use terms like "heartbroken" and "tragedy" when describing losing the NCAA Championship. I'm not saying it's wrong, I've used those terms myself. But this poster on HR created a thread with the following post titled "I've got some good news for today.." It makes me pause and think how lucky all these wrestlers are that are so fit, and have such bright futures. So while we feel the sadness of what we have lost, let's be thankful for all of our gifts. This poster's story is below.

My oldest daughter, Evie, is being treated for brain cancer, in which she's approaching the average timespan of life for those who have it. It is considered terminal. Anyway, today, she had her scan and it is negative. It's also the exact same day my son, Joe, is out at nationals preparing to throw shot, and it got cancelled since it's NCAA stuff.

My son was really down, and then heard the good news about the scan and responded:

Evie, yet again you've given me reason to smile and appreciate my blessings. Just got told I won't get to compete at nationals and that my season is over. Even though I'm devastated, I honestly, after hearing about your scans, don't care because I still have my big sister. Thanks for the perspective, I love you and your family.

I read that post on HR last night and it definitely puts a little perspective on the things in life that are truly important. Thanks for posting this.

Wonderful story, thank you very much for sharing.

Reactions: nitlion6
It was nice to see this repeated over here. I had no idea.

I just picked up my son from the airport and we walked in the door.

Hug your children every day!
People are talking about perspective on this thread. Since I come from a family (and ethnicity - Irish) that often uses humor to get through the tough times, I thought I’d drop one of my favorite movie scenes re: perspective:

Tried to reply over on HR but couldn't. Your thread was the first thing I read this morning after waking and really made my heart feel good. Praying for your daughters continued good health. May God bless your entire family.

I tell my girls and grandkids that "I love you" all the time.
My youngest granddaughter is 6 and whenever we are together I poke her in the ribs and ask "hey, did I tell you yet that I love you?" She answers "not yet, what's taking so long?" Then i get a hug as i tell her "I love you!!!"

I read your post on HR last night and I smiled, wiped a tear and thought "I am so happy for you that you got to share that story!!!"

What's this? A Hawkeye fan reaching @Johnbrooks-level like to message ratios on BWI? Hmm, maybe that adds a little perspective, too.

Awesome news about your daughter, and your son's reaction to missing his season. Your son's reaction is a great reflection on you.

HH, I have been a member of BWI for like 15 years and have never posted in the HR forum until reading your post. Best of luck to you and your family. And thank you for the perspective on things

God Bless you and your family HoundedHawk. Most certainly reminds all of us what is truly important in life. I will say a prayer for your daughter and hope for her continued health.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT