ADVERTISEMENT

A little help please from New Yorkers

nits74

May 14, 2010
Heading back over to Manhattan in a couple of weeks and learned that one of our favorite restaurants has closed. It's been there a long time, so I don't know what happened. It was open in the late summer when we were last there. Anyway, was looking for a smallish sized place with intimate setting (brick walls, table only seating, etc.) and somewhat near Midtown, though not a requirement. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Heading back over to Manhattan in a couple of weeks and learned that one of our favorite restaurants has closed. It's been there a long time, so I don't know what happened. It was open in the late summer when we were last there. Anyway, was looking for a smallish sized place with intimate setting (brick walls, table only seating, etc.) and somewhat near Midtown, though not a requirement. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Turkish Kitchen on 3rd Ave betw 28 & 29 - so good. Good prices. In E Village - 10th St between 2nd and 1st had the brick wall sensibilities you desire plus tiny, intimate, awesome food. Midtown is pretty lame from all angles. If you like Chinese, the Bao on St Marks Place is so good. Get the soup dumplings. I could go on and on for hrs about good NYC restaurants...

Can you do a little better than intimate with brick walls? Type of cuisine, price-range? Also midtown can include a fairly large swath of area. Care to narrow that down?

Can you do a little better than intimate with brick walls? Type of cuisine, price-range? Also midtown can include a fairly large swath of area. Care to narrow that down?

Midtown: generally considered 34th to 59th from Times Sq and east. I didn’t even recommend in that range as folks from NYC wouldn’t be caught dead there. I guess the one place I would do ther is Tao. Not intimate at all, but def very unique and I love the food. Owner is a nice guy that lives by me.

Midtown: generally considered 34th to 59th from Times Sq and east. I didn’t even recommend in that range as folks from NYC wouldn’t be caught dead there. I guess the one place I would do ther is Tao. Not intimate at all, but def very unique and I love the food. Owner is a nice guy that lives by me.

I would agree that there are more "intimate" places outside of midtown, but living in Manhattan for over 20 years now (and working in midtown), there are plenty of excellent and non-touristy restaurants in that area. In fact many of your Michelin star restaurants are littered throughout that area. Tao is great (I'm actually friends with some of the owners), but the furthest thing from intimate. Tao Group's other restaurants in that area (Lavo, Avra or even the new Legasea) would probably be all better options (although, even those, aren't intimate).

Reactions: LionJim
Joe Allen on W 46th. Not to pricey and you'll probably see some celebrities.

Yeah, I wasn't very specific. Preferably Italian or steakhouse type. Price not a concern. Midtown not a must. I'm pretty familiar with Manhattan, so any suggestions regardless of location will help.

Just saw an article today about resteraunt a in New York closing. Actions have consequences. Between minimum wage increase, business taxes and regulations, becoming unprofitable for even the venerable to remain open.

Yeah, I wasn't very specific. Preferably Italian or steakhouse type. Price not a concern. Midtown not a must. I'm pretty familiar with Manhattan, so any suggestions regardless of location will help.
Steak, Smith & Wollensky on 3rd ave. Haven't been there since I left NY 15 years ago. But it was close to my work and very good at the time.

Steakhouses: For midtown I would do either Keens, Strip House (although I've only ever eaten at their village location), Wolfgangs, or Del Friscos (although Del Friscos is the least intimate of those). Peter Luger if you want to venture outside of midtown and brave Brooklyn.

Italian: For midtown Marea, Ai Fiori, Lavo, Il Mulino (although their village location is the original and far superior). Outside midtown: Babbo (village), Del Posto (meatpacking, very big) - both Mario Batali restaurants, or Carbone. For smaller/brick-wall type: Picollo Angolo (west village), Ill Vagabando (but make sure to request the room with the bocce ball court).

Reactions: idotter

What was one of your favorite restaurants?

LdN

Steakhouses: For midtown I would do either Keens, Strip House (although I've only ever eaten at their village location), Wolfgangs, or Del Friscos (although Del Friscos is the least intimate of those). Peter Luger if you want to venture outside of midtown and brave Brooklyn.

Italian: For midtown Marea, Ai Fiori, Lavo, Il Mulino (although their village location is the original and far superior). Outside midtown: Babbo (village), Del Posto (meatpacking, very big) - both Mario Batali restaurants, or Carbone. For smaller/brick-wall type: Picollo Angolo (west village), Ill Vagabando (but make sure to request the room with the bocce ball court).
Second Keen's and Marea. I'm sure the other recs are great too, but I have no experience with them. Is Babbo still a zoo? If it is I would pass, but maybe it's not as crowded as 10 years ago.

Second Keen's and Marea. I'm sure the other recs are great too, but I have no experience with them. Is Babbo still a zoo? If it is I would pass, but maybe it's not as crowded as 10 years ago.

Babbo is still tough to get into and almost always full, but I never felt it was a zoo inside. It's my wife's favorite restaurant in the entire city. I think it's great as well, but my tastes generally veer more toward the traditional red-sauce Italian places. I would add Rao's to the list as well (had the good fortune of eating there a few times), but, unless you know someone, forget about it.

It was just a small place on 58th Street not far from the Warwick where we always stay. Nino's. Not the one on the Upper East Side.

Hmmm... Nino's on 58th I don't know.

Amarone, a place @WestSideLion used to live above, was a decent italian place over there. There are a ton of good Italian restaurants in the area though.

There's always Keens.

LdN

Del Friscos is my favorite, due to the food, although I haven't eaten there in awhile (assuming it's still great), but it's the opposite of intimate. Keens probably has more of the vibe he's looking for. The pipe collection on the ceiling is unique, and the steaks are good.

Monkey Bar, 54th between Madison and Park.

Same Tao is in the meat packing district?

Italian: For midtown Marea, Ai Fiori, Lavo, Il Mulino (although their village location is the original and far superior). Outside midtown: Babbo (village), Del Posto (meatpacking, very big) - both Mario Batali restaurants, or Carbone. For smaller/brick-wall type: Picollo Angolo (west village), Ill Vagabando (but make sure to request the room with the bocce ball court).[/QUO

Il Vagabondo is still there and still has the bocci court? My friend knew owner 30 years ago and we are there a few times. Can't believe it lasted so long

Was at Budokkon not long ago and loved it. Food is always great.
If you want to get a bit ethnic hit Koreaway. Ate at 5 Senses last month. The broiled squid was outstanding, as are the plates of appetizers they bring to every table.

Just saw an article today about resteraunt a in New York closing. Actions have consequences. Between minimum wage increase, business taxes and regulations, becoming unprofitable for even the venerable to remain open.
What a knucklehead! There isn't, and hasn't been for a long time, a single minimum wage job in Manhattan.

Thanks so much all. Very helpful.
I lived in Manhattan for 4 yrs in late 60&early 70s (just back from Nam) and living on upper East Side
Il Vagabond was one of my favorite restaurants (especially the bocce court area). I was almost
ashamed to turn in the yellow sheet when lunch for 4 (with drinks) was prox $45.00 !

If you don't mind heading down to the West Village I would recommend Olio e Piu. It's at the corner of 6th and Greenwich Ave's which is easy to get to from midtown. You can take the 6th avenue line to the West 8th street stop or take the PATH from 33rd street to the 9th street stop. Its a 1 minute walk from either stop. They have a website you can reference.

If you want fine dining then I recommend Eleven Madison Park. It was closed for the summer for renovations but opened a pop up in East Hampton to keep the staff together. I've eaten at both their city and Hampton locations and IMO, the food/service is second to none and I've eaten at some of the best in the city. A word of caution though, be prepared for sticker shock.

Sfoglia on the upper east side has everything you want and is some of the best Italian food in NYC.

Becco on Restaurant Row (46th St) is owned by Lydia Bastianich and her son. The pasta is great or at least it used to be.

You can also just suck it up and do Il Mulino...among the best Italian you’ll ever eat.

Sfoglia on the upper east side has everything you want and is some of the best Italian food in NYC.

Becco on Restaurant Row (46th St) is owned by Lydia Bastianich and her son. The pasta is great or at least it used to be.

You can also just suck it up and do Il Mulino...among the best Italian you’ll ever eat.

Becco and Il Mulino both very good- seconded

This is an example of why I love this board, as well as New Yorkers. We get to Manhattan about four times a year. So, all of your suggestions will be helpful and last us for a good while. Thanks again!

Reactions: WestSideLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT