ADVERTISEMENT

A great American Patriot was laid to rest yesterday in Arlington Cemetary...

ericstratton-rushchairman

May 20, 2005
Dallas TX
My dear uncle Col. Joseph Luger (USMA '51) was buried with "full caisson honors". I attended the ceremonies at Arlington... amazing day. A full company of over 100 soldiers participated with full military honors

During his 25 years of active military service he was awarded 19 medals and citations including two Bronze Stars, four Air Medals, the Legion of Merit Medal, four Commendation Medals and the Purple Heart.

He eventual went on to consult for the US Army as a nuclear weapons analyst playing a leading role in the draw down after the fall of the Soviet Union. While in this role he received 5 Army Commendations, the Superior Civilian Service Medal, and the Meritorious Civilian Service Award.

He was also an accomplished pilot and would take me flying all the time when I was a kid. Was was a great man.

Here's his OBIT.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=joseph-luger&pid=185383656

My dear uncle Col. Joseph Luger (USMA '51) was buried with "full caisson honors". I attended the ceremonies at Arlington... amazing day. A full company of over 100 soldiers participated with full military honors

During his 25 years of active military service he was awarded 19 medals and citations including two Bronze Stars, four Air Medals, the Legion of Merit Medal, four Commendation Medals and the Purple Heart.

He eventual went on to consult for the US Army as a nuclear weapons analyst playing a leading role in the draw down after the fall of the Soviet Union. While in this role he received 5 Army Commendations, the Superior Civilian Service Medal, and the Meritorious Civilian Service Award.

He was also an accomplished pilot and would take me flying all the time when I was a kid. Was was a great man.

Here's his OBIT.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=joseph-luger&pid=185383656

Your Uncle joined my Dad at Arlington. My Dad also had "full caisson honors". He served in WW2, the Korean Confict and the Vietnam War. He was wounded and captured at the Battle of the Bulge. Two great men.

Your Uncle joined my Dad at Arlington. My Dad also had "full caisson honors". He served in WW2, the Korean Confict and the Vietnam War. He was wounded and captured at the Battle of the Bulge. Two great men.

What an amazing ceremony isn't it. We all talked about a mile and a half to have site. Arlington is an incredible place in spring time.

I remember you mentioning about your dad at battle of bulge before. At dinner after the visitation service Tuesday night I sat next to guy born in 1926 who served in us army air corps (9th airforce) in England and then mainland Europe. He rolled off some great stories.

What an amazing ceremony isn't it. We all talked about a mile and a half to have site. Arlington is an incredible place in spring time.

I remember you mentioning about your dad at battle of bulge before. At dinner after the visitation service Tuesday night I sat next to guy born in 1926 who served in us army air corps (9th airforce) in England and then mainland Europe. He rolled off some great stories.
The ceremony was beyond what I expected. All my Dad wanted was for Taps to be played. That and much, much more was given, as a show of respect, for his service.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

Here's his OBIT.

I thank you for posting and I thank your Uncle for his service and his sacrifice. May he, and all our deceased veterans, rest in peace.

Here's his OBIT.

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was an amazing man... even for a Marine!

Yes, it really is. The army does it exactly the way it should be done. They wouldn't have it any other way.

I want to add one more thing to honor my brother. Back in the late 60s, while my Dad was in Vietnam, my older brother joined the Army and became an Honor Guard at Arlington. He did the ceremonies you see in these videos. Carrying the casket. Folding the flag. Giving 21 gun salutes. Not blowing taps though. My Dad voluntarily extended while he was in Vietnam. Only one member of a family could serve in Vietnam, at a time. By the time my Dad rotated back to the states my brother was a short timer and could not be sent to Vietnam. There is more then one way to serve. Both valuable in their own way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fayette_LION
Condolences to you and your family. Because of your Uncle and men and women like him who served in the military and made great sacrifices we are able to live in the greatest country in the world

My condolences to the Rush Chair. Sounds like your dad was a great guy, and deserving of the honor and respect he was shown at his burial.

I enjoyed reading the stories that Monterey and the Rush Chair told about their respective fathers, and the processes at Arlington. My thanks to both of you.

These military cemeteries are kept in pristine condition, as they should be. I just attended a funeral at Washington Crossing Veterans Cemetery. The building and grounds were absolutely beautiful.

ADVERTISEMENT