ADVERTISEMENT

A George Constanza-like baseball rules question

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
In the 6th inning amidst a heavy rain falling, Pirates pitching coach Ray Searge came out to the mound to talk to pitcher Tyler Glasnow.

Would Searge have been allowed to use an umbrella for himself in talking to Glasnow in an obvious stoppage of play?

Is there a rule prohibiting that?

In other sports, caddies use umbrellas in golf covering their player moments before their player strikes the ball or putts.

That is a Costanza question. Like his idea to give the security guard a chair.

rocking_chair.png

I'd have to go dig up the MLB rulebook but in HS, the only things a coach is allowed to possess on the field is a scorebook, stopwatch, and a rule book. Pretty sure that the same thing applies across all baseball.

I'd have to go dig up the MLB rulebook but in HS, the only things a coach is allowed to possess on the field is a scorebook, stopwatch, and a rule book. Pretty sure that the same thing applies across all baseball.

I can't imagine what I would do if the coach pulled out a rule book during the game...needless to say he would be taking the rule book with him to the bus.

Only if the coach has a fitted hat, and it's umbrella give-a-way day at the ball park. Or if he is eating a Drakes coffee cake, I mean who would get that wet ?

Sporting News use to publish "knotty problems of baseball". I recall one had a page with the manager going to the mound with an umbrella to make a point to the umpire about calling the game. If not specifically in the rule book ( but I think it is) it would fall under Bob Prine's favorite rule - making a travesty of the game.

He wears a hat. Just have him wear one of those umbrella hats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT