ADVERTISEMENT

A couple questions for Josh Gattis ?

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
Acknowledging the weathers impact, like so few of the mentally disturbed by excess passion crowd that post here, on the development of the passing game, I have two critical observations about the play of the wide receivers so far this season.

1) There is a simple bedrock technique when you are covered near the end of the route taught in High school - break the route and get your lead hand up in the air. Have rarely seen this so far and it should be an instinctual act of any receivers execution responsibility.

2) 15-20 yard outs, curls, hooks flags, slants. WTF? Aren't we making it too easy to cover our receivers with the limited perimeter patterns we run?

Just a few general observations .... Nick Scott showed great hands on a hot ball yesterday and he is a great athlete over all. He is also an accurate passer and is plenty fast. His cutting was limited by the turf conditions yesterday. I expect we will see more of him in specific situations as the season progresses.

It was nice to see that Gesecki has hands that can actually handle a Div 1 pass....hope it happens again soon. I like what I saw out of Brent Wilkerson in his short number of plays (he executed his plays to perfection).

The H back blocking was more of a magnet to the defense yesterday than a block to spring the back. The H back hit the hole far to soon and while the tailbacks took their three steps to get to the line the H back was swarmed. The H back can work beautifully when the timing is right....not so when it is off.

Wendy Laurents play was an upgrade from Mangiros.... for whatever the reason.

The two Army second half drives were aided by the second team DL being in the game and the angles of pursuit we ridiculous.

Best block of the day.... I think it was our own Lucas (not seeing our guy) on our own corner breaking the Army QB free for a TD..

I think it was our own Lucas (not seeing our guy) on our own corner breaking the Army QB free for a TD

Not the best block, but certainly the worst attempt at a tackle. The was a running QB, slightly ahead of Lucas and Lucas decides to put a "little" shoulder into the QB to tackle him. It barely made the QB flinch. Both the CB and Lucas were in a position to lunge after the QB and wrap up the tackle. This should always be preferred over bumping someone out of bounds.

Not the best block, but certainly the worst attempt at a tackle. The was a running QB, slightly ahead of Lucas and Lucas decides to put a "little" shoulder into the QB to tackle him. It barely made the QB flinch. Both the CB and Lucas were in a position to lunge after the QB and wrap up the tackle. This should always be preferred over bumping someone out of bounds.

PSU was doing a lot of hand tackling attempts all over the field the second half..... or almost arm tackling. I think over running and bad angles of pursuit caused most of this.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Acknowledging the weathers impact, like so few of the mentally disturbed by excess passion crowd that post here, on the development of the passing game, I have two critical observations about the play of the wide receivers so far this season.

1) There is a simple bedrock technique when you are covered near the end of the route taught in High school - break the route and get your lead hand up in the air. Have rarely seen this so far and it should be an instinctual act of any receivers execution responsibility.

2) 15-20 yard outs, curls, hooks flags, slants. WTF? Aren't we making it too easy to cover our receivers with the limited perimeter patterns we run?

Just a few general observations .... Nick Scott showed great hands on a hot ball yesterday and he is a great athlete over all. He is also an accurate passer and is plenty fast. His cutting was limited by the turf conditions yesterday. I expect we will see more of him in specific situations as the season progresses.

It was nice to see that Gesecki has hands that can actually handle a Div 1 pass....hope it happens again soon. I like what I saw out of Brent Wilkerson in his short number of plays (he executed his plays to perfection).

The H back blocking was more of a magnet to the defense yesterday than a block to spring the back. The H back hit the hole far to soon and while the tailbacks took their three steps to get to the line the H back was swarmed. The H back can work beautifully when the timing is right....not so when it is off.

Wendy Laurents play was an upgrade from Mangiros.... for whatever the reason.

The two Army second half drives were aided by the second team DL being in the game and the angles of pursuit we ridiculous.

Best block of the day.... I think it was our own Lucas (not seeing our guy) on our own corner breaking the Army QB free for a TD..

Sure makes it an easier day for the opposing secondary. Exactly what I saw at times in the SDSU game, especially guys "giving up" - or so it appeared - after the initial route failed. That is the time to make a big play, as long as the QB has time. Against SDSU there were plays where Hack had the extra time. On one he did find Carter in the seam for 35 yards, but I think he was running the designed route. A good receiver lives for those plays where the initial routes fail and the QB still has time. No matter how good a DB is it is very difficult to cover for that extra time. It doesn't have to be a home run either. I'd just like to see someone wave and come back to the ball once.

Would be nice to see a play where one of the receivers sells that predictable slant and breaks it for the corner. I would think it would be there. At least worth a try.

Sure makes it an easier day for the opposing secondary. Exactly what I saw at times in the SDSU game, especially guys "giving up" - or so it appeared - after the initial route failed. That is the time to make a big play, as long as the QB has time. Against SDSU there were plays where Hack had the extra time. On one he did find Carter in the seam for 35 yards, but I think he was running the designed route. A good receiver lives for those plays where the initial routes fail and the QB still has time. No matter how good a DB is it is very difficult to cover for that extra time. It doesn't have to be a home run either. I'd just like to see someone wave and come back to the ball once.

Would be nice to see a play where one of the receivers sells that predictable slant and breaks it for the corner. I would think it would be there. At least worth a try.

Exactly...

It can happen here. It's nice that the crazies have left this thread alone. Perhaps it is out of their reach or interest. Either way, it is nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT