ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of binge worthy Netflix shows...

Just started 'Dear White People'. I LOVE Logan Browning - she's gorgeous....

video_image-465718.jpg

Not sure if covered earlier, but would add 'Godless' as well.

@Midnighter.
Just finished season 2 of Dear White People. I thought it was very good.
Chapter 7 and Troy's (Vision Quest) was a riot.
Some great throw away lines, actually you have to pay attention because some of the one liners are really good. A couple about the Kardashians had me cracking up.

I'll have to add Godless.
Yea she's quite the looker, she was in another piece of eye candy show I am not ashamed to admit I watched (LOL) Hit the Floor.
As for Dear White People I like it. I think it hits on a lot of current events and does a good job of it. But its not going to be for everyone, especially if they are easily offended.
One of the more interesting characters and story lines are the two male roommates.

Oh I don't know about the easily offended part. The title 'Dear White People' seems a bit presumptuous. I think I'll wait around for the sequel 'Dear Black People' in order to get the counter perspective. After all, there's two sides to every story. Yes?

Oh I don't know about the easily offended part. The title 'Dear White People' seems a bit presumptuous. I think I'll wait around for the sequel 'Dear Black People' in order to get the counter perspective. After all, there's two sides to every story. Yes?

hilariously ignorant statement if you're familiar with the show

reminds me of that rich ass hat who was upset about a show called "Black-ish"

the great orange goober wanted to know when we will get a show called "White-ish"

Someone tweeted back at him, we did, they were called The Honeymooners, Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, the Brady Bunch, MASH, All In The Family, Cheers, Seinfeld . . . and almost every f**king TV show of the last 50 years

LOL

hilariously ignorant statement if you're familiar with the show

reminds me of that rich ass hat who was upset about a show called "Black-ish"

the great orange goober wanted to know when we will get a show called "White-ish"

Someone tweeted back at him, we did, they were called The Honeymooners, Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, the Brady Bunch, MASH, All In The Family, Cheers, Seinfeld . . . and almost every f**king TV show of the last 50 years

LOL

LOL, pretty much.
My only "issue" with Dear White People is do they ever actually go to class? :D
Thought Season 2 was really good.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
I stumbled across an Aussie show called Glitch. Surprisingly good. There are two seasons, but they're short. Six episodes each.

"James Hayes (Patrick Brammall) is a small town policeman in Yoorana, Victoria. He is called to the local cemetery in the middle of the night after seven people have risen from the dead in perfect health but with no memory of their identities. They are determined to discover who they are and what has happened to them. James struggles to keep the case hidden from his colleagues, his family, and the world, with the help of local doctor Elishia McKellar (Genevieve O'Reilly). The seven people are all linked in some way, and the search begins for someone who knows the truth about how and why they have returned.[7]"

Reactions: hlstone
Not sure what provider these two are on (might be Amazon prime) but I though these two were pretty bad ass ...
Eastbound and down with Barry Mcbride
11.22.63. With James Franco.

I agree about Evil Genius -- incredibly interesting. Another good documentary -- Wild Wild Country -- story of the Rajneeshi cult in Oregon in the 1980s.

Some of the best TV I've seen the last couple years:
1) Catastrophe on Amazon - wickedly funny.
2) Man in the High Castle -- science fiction riffing on what if the Nazis won World War II. Very nicely plotted, beautifully written, acted and filmed over two seasons.
3) Big LIttle Lies on HBO -- nicely written double whodunnit -- you don't know who died or who the murderer is.
4) Incredible Mrs. Maisel on Amazon -- smartly written by Amy Sherman-Palladino, wonderfully acted comedy. Rachel Brosnahan is awesome.
5) Howard's End -- glossy new New BBC production of EM Forster book on Starz Play. Hayley Atwell and Mathew McFadyn are wonderful. If you want to stay with British lit, "Parade's End" is a mini-series on HBO (another BBC production) starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Rebecca Hall.

Reactions: bmac710
Not sure what provider these two are on (might be Amazon prime) but I though these two were pretty bad ass ...

Eastbound and Down is HBO. Not sure about the other.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror

11.22.63 is on Hulu, and excellent!

also on Hulu, there are a slate of Marvel shows . . . The Runaways, Gifted, Legion . . .

just started Cloak & Dagger . . . starts slow, but very engaging. also features a return of the Roxxon Corp . . .

I agree about Evil Genius -- incredibly interesting. Another good documentary -- Wild Wild Country -- story of the Rajneeshi cult in Oregon in the 1980s.

Some of the best TV I've seen the last couple years:
1) Catastrophe on Amazon - wickedly funny.
2) Man in the High Castle -- science fiction riffing on what if the Nazis won World War II. Very nicely plotted, beautifully written, acted and filmed over two seasons.
3) Big LIttle Lies on HBO -- nicely written double whodunnit -- you don't know who died or who the murderer is.
4) Incredible Mrs. Maisel on Amazon -- smartly written by Amy Sherman-Palladino, wonderfully acted comedy. Rachel Brosnahan is awesome.
5) Howard's End -- glossy new New BBC production of EM Forster book on Starz Play. Hayley Atwell and Mathew McFadyn are wonderful. If you want to stay with British lit, "Parade's End" is a mini-series on HBO (another BBC production) starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Rebecca Hall.
Agree on Catastrophe and Man in the High Castle.

Tangentially, I've got a friend who used to have a major heart problem (got it fixed) but is now 45 years old. He met a gal on Tinder who is 41. They hit it off and weren't using protection thinking "no way". Well, she got pregnant and both thought the chances of having a family were in the rear view mirror. So they got married and are giving it a go (so far so good). BTW, he game me is Michigan PSU tickets (4) yesterday (he's a UM season ticket holder).

Safe on Netflix (one season only) was very well done I thought. Thriller about a missing teenage girl and the death of her boyfriend in an affluent neighborhood in England with a ton of twists along the way. Michael C. Hall plays the dad.

Reactions: uscgPSU
Been mention here before but I’ll throw it out there. Ozark is really good only one season though. The Crown 2 seasons is really good. I also really like Mindhunter about the Beginnings of the FBI psychological profiling group.

And lastly for more of a comedy and easy to watch as the episodes are only 30 minutes long is The Santa Clarita Diet.

On Hulu check out the Looming Tower and on Amazon Prime check out Sneaky Pete.
I enjoyed Sneaky Pete

Reactions: Rollin Stone
Some very good European shows on Netflix, the first one I watched was Occupied and I'm on the lookout for them ever since.

1. Occupied - Norway goes green and shuts down oil production to the EU. Russia moves in with the backing of the EU and occupies the country. 2 seasons

2. Fortitude - horror/thriller set in a Artic town. 1 season

3. Bordertown - quirky Finnish detective with some unusual methods set in a Finnish town on the Russian border. 1 season

4. Nobel - Norwegian show about a special forces officer coming home from Afghanistan that weaves a couple of different plot lines. 1 season

5. Dark - pretty cool German show set in a few different generations that a few have passed between because of a portal that may have something to do with the nuclear plant in town. 1 season. Kind of a German Stranger Things. 1 season.

6. La Mante - French show about a female serial killer who is "kind of" helping police catch a serial killer 20 years after she was caught. French Hannibal Lector. 1 season

7. Broadchurch - British crime series - first season follows the murder of a young boy. 2nd season follows the trial and another connected murder which happened previously. 3rd season focuses on a sexual assualt. Very good show.

8. River - British crime series starring Stellan Skarsgard as a detective who hears voices in his head. Mainly his dead partner's as he tries to solve her murder, but also others.

That's all I can think of now, but there are more.

Reactions: Nitwit and BBrown
If you like sci-fi and mystery respectively, I quite liked Electric Dreams and Black Spot on Amazon. Electric Dreams is close to Black Mirror/Twilight Zone and some pretty cool episodes. Black Spot was a surprise. It is French and really well written and beautifully shot. The lead actress is wonderful and whole series just keeps you guessing.

Someone else mentioned The End of the F-in World. Another gem, very dark but funny. The girl lead was amazing. Reminded me of Fight Club a little.

Last edited:
7. Broadchurch - British crime series - first season follows the murder of a young boy. 2nd season follows the trial and another connected murder which happened previously. 3rd season focuses on a sexual assualt. Very good show.

That's all I can think of now, but there are more.

I second broadchurch, really good show

Reactions: BBrown
Evil genius is a four part documentary style show based upon a man from Erie, PA, who attempts to rob a bank with a bomb/collar around his neck. Was he a victim or a willing participant? It's a pretty good story.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I second broadchurch, really good show

I will third this one. Great show. If you can stomach it, The Missing is another great one from the UK. The first season is like a punch to the gut. My wife had to turn it off after 1st episode - too heartbreaking. I had to see it through and ultimately I think they did right with how it finished. Second season was very good as well.

Couldn't get past 1st show of Black Mirror, made me throw up a little in my mouth. Some series I haven't seen mentioned...

1. The Terror on AMC
2. Luke Cage on Netflix
3. Patriot on Amazon
4. The 100 on Netflix/CW
5. The Punisher on Netflix
6. Lost in Space on Netflix

Couldn't get past 1st show of Black Mirror, made me throw up a little in my mouth.

Well, you are not alone. The crazy thing is that it is based on actual rumors about former PM, David Cameron. You should push past that one. There are many brilliant and poignant episodes. San Junipero is one of best stories I have ever watched, big screen or small. Some hot girl girl action too..hah.

Couldn't get past 1st show of Black Mirror, made me throw up a little in my mouth. Some series I haven't seen mentioned...

1. The Terror on AMC
2. Luke Cage on Netflix
3. Patriot on Amazon
4. The 100 on Netflix/CW

I watched a few episodes of Black Mirrors and I just didn't get it. I don't know if I'm old and can't relate or what but that first episode with the pig felt like trolling. It felt like they their goal was to put an outrageous thing out there just to get a reaction. And I didn't find it surprising when the whole thing turned out to be a put on as a piece of public art or whatever they called it. None of the episode felt genuine to me. JMHO.

I watched a few episodes of Black Mirrors and I just didn't get it. I don't know if I'm old and can't relate or what but that first episode with the pig felt like trolling. It felt like they their goal was to put an outrageous thing out there just to get a reaction. And I didn't find it surprising when the whole thing turned out to be a put on as a piece of public art or whatever they called it. None of the episode felt genuine to me. JMHO.

Thanks. Will check it out.

On Netflix.

Narcos and Surviving Escobar which has over 50 episodes. Both excellent.

I'll second Narcos. Was afraid that the 3rd season without Pablo wouldn't be as good, but it actually stands up fairly well with the first 2 seasons, I think mostly because the actors are so good.

Well, you are not alone. The crazy thing is that it is based on actual rumors about former PM, David Cameron. You should push past that one. There are many brilliant and poignant episodes. San Junipero is one of best stories I have ever watched, big screen or small. Some hot girl girl action too..hah.
agreed. and you dont need to watch them all nor in order. look up which are considered 'best' and watch those. i personally recommend watching them all, but if you just want to dip a toe in start with the most popular.

1. The Terror on AMC
2. Luke Cage on Netflix
3. Patriot on Amazon
4. The 100 on Netflix/CW

I tried to watch The Terror but much like the book it was pretty boring and I really didn't like any of the characters and didn't care what happened to them.
Luke Cage, Punisher and Lost in Space were very good, especially The Punisher.
Luke Cage was very good until....about the 7th episode but I am looking forward to the 2nd season that drops next week.
Jessica Jones 1st season was excellent. The second season was ok but she was a little too whiny for me in it.

Another show that's OK so far is Between. About a town where everyone gets killed by some virus once they turn 22 years old.

The Last Kingdom
Narcos
Godless

Those are the 3 I've watched and enjoyed. Probably give Longmire and Dear White People a try soon.

The Last Kingdom
Narcos
Godless

Those are the 3 I've watched and enjoyed. Probably give Longmire and Dear White People a try soon.

I loved Longmire when it was on A&E ( I think thats what it originally on) but I didn't think it was as good after it moved to Netflix. The cinematography is amazing. I think all 6 seasons are available.

I liked Dear White People. Thought it was thought provoking and pretty funny at times. There are some really great pop culture reference throw away lines.

Alot of suggestions for me to check out while on vacation! Another is Mindhunter. About the FBI when serial killers were becoming a thing in the public eye.

ADVERTISEMENT