ADVERTISEMENT

9.9 cap going away?

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
Some significant changes being discussed.

Read the entire article. (Note, article is free but counts against Sports Illustrated's free article limit for non-subscribers.)

This is wild.

The haves are going to be much more havey.

Ncaa going full pro at this point.
Agree . But a small program only needs 1 rich guy to become competitive. Now most have no chance at all. Name, Image and Likeness 😂🤣

Read the entire article. (Note, article is free but counts against Sports Illustrated's free article limit for non-subscribers.)

It's hard to say where this will be good for the sport. If this happens, the top teams will be able to stack talent more than ever.

The 9.9 wrestling scholarship limit was always more so about limiting institution costs (perhaps with some consideration of Title IX) rather than creating a level playing field among schools. The best wrestlers will want to start somewhere, and that's enough to maintain parity, as much as it currently exists.

With a NIL organization, as 'Success with Honor' has proposed, that will take contributions that can be designated for the wrestling team as a whole (vs individual), universities may see removing scholarship limits as necessary to retain donors to the scholarship funds, like Levi Lamb, that they control. Otherwise, I expect some of those contributions, which are no longer tax deductible, will move to organizations like "Success with Honor."

It's hard to say where this will be good for the sport. If this happens, the top teams will be able to stack talent more than ever.
It is still going to be subject to title 9. If you want to increase your wrestling scholarships to 20, you will have to increase women's scholarships by an equivalent amount. (Hopefully be creating a women's team.)

It is still going to be subject to title 9. If you want to increase your wrestling scholarships to 20, you will have to increase women's scholarships by an equivalent amount. (Hopefully be creating a women's team.)
Agreed, though IMO the greatest risk to equivalency sports like wrestling isn't lifting the scholarship cap.

It's when each Power 5 school hires 37 assistant football coaches. That money has to come from somewhere.

Reactions: hlstone

If you "clear/delete history" including "all cookies" article limits get reset. Downside is that most of your saved passwords will also be deleted.

Agreed, though IMO the greatest risk to equivalency sports like wrestling isn't lifting the scholarship cap.

It's when each Power 5 school hires 37 assistant football coaches. That money has to come from somewhere.
i can agree with that. But in reality, if you look at the composition of the football staffs now, they aren't far from that number. "Quality Control", "Offensive consultants", etc. are frequently used job descriptions that aren't on the official books as coaches-but if you go to watch a practice, you can't hardly stir them with a stick.

An example-Gary Patterson from TCU is now a "special assistant to the head coach" at Texas. But, if you look at their coaching staff list, he is not on there. You can currently have 11 "coaches"-but I bet you are at 25 when you include all the other titles.

Kind of like RTC athletes?

All teams have contractor coaches. Penn state just finally got into it. Finally. So we can compete

i can agree with that. But in reality, if you look at the composition of the football staffs now, they aren't far from that number. "Quality Control", "Offensive consultants", etc. are frequently used job descriptions that aren't on the official books as coaches-but if you go to watch a practice, you can't hardly stir them with a stick.

An example-Gary Patterson from TCU is now a "special assistant to the head coach" at Texas. But, if you look at their coaching staff list, he is not on there. You can currently have 11 "coaches"-but I bet you are at 25 when you include all the other titles.

I want the guys job that pulls the coach by the belt back to the sideline.

Reactions: The Kid Twist
This is a good thing for the student athletes. Cost of tuition is completely out of control.

This is a good thing for the student athletes. Cost of tuition is completely out of control.
Fed gov who is primary reason for costs being out of control implements plan that doesn’t save cost, just shifts burden under the guise of “helping”. Five years from implementation it will be “why just athletes?” And so it goes with no actual attempt to control tuition, but rather socialize the cost.

Fed gov who is primary reason for costs being out of control implements plan that doesn’t save cost, just shifts burden under the guise of “helping”. Five years from implementation it will be “why just athletes?” And so it goes with no actual attempt to control tuition, but rather socialize the cost.
Let’s not get that convo going. I agree, but let’s not do that here lol.

Oh no we're screwed, allegedly we're the only school that doesn't operate within the 9.9 right now.

Other aspects of NCAA wrestling will evolve as the landscape shifts due to the NIL and scholarship changes. Let the athletes make money if they can. Let schools increase scholarships if they want to. If the tournament is making money and people are packing gyms what is the downside? Consider an outcome where in 10 years the 30 schools who still have NCAA programs will be allowed to enter multiple entries at each weight. Or an outcome where PSAC schools train together but enter the tournament at their enrolled institution in turn expanding the number of schools represented at the NCAA tournament.

Let’s not get that convo going. I agree, but let’s not do that here lol.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Ski and NCHawk55
You say they will stack talent, but you how many guys are leaving now, because they cannot start. Beard is a good example. The good teams may get more talented guys out of the gate, but they won't be keeping them if they are a back up.

Reactions: Ski

You are right. I used to have a next door neighbor who was Coordinator at a power 5 team. He used the Pat Kirwin book “Don’t look at the ball” to teach me how to spot offensive lineman “tells”. Then he would turn me loose with one of his PC’s and opponent game film. My unpaid “quality control” job was to feed the “tells” to a paid contact on the staff. In return, I got to attend practices and sit in the press box once per year. This sort of thing is only for retired football nut cases, it supports the thought that Power 5 programs utilize far more employees (unpaid) than advertised.

I think we could lose one tactic Cael has perfected, with 9.9, he targets 3-5 or so hammers that seperate us from the pack in terms of points, while being limited by obvious gaps in the lineup. Ruth said he got 80% if he AAed.

Now the top 5 programs can try to fill every weight with quality (i.e. what tOSU, OSU and Iowa have done for years, granted lacking national champions).

Cael had complained about the 9.9 before. Imagine if he could build a team with 10 hammers plus 5+ prospects waiting in the wings, year after year after year The current team is getting there but without the 9.9 limit for Cael to work with, look out! We could see AA+ talent at all 10 weights every year.

ADVERTISEMENT