ADVERTISEMENT

9,000 barrels of bourbon fall in Kentucky distillery building collapse

Given the clean, sheer break from the (m)other structure, it suggests that the storage decking in the addition failed. The other giveaway is/are the horizontal lines on the exterior of the (m)other structure, suggesting that when originally built, 2"x 4" lumber was used to "kick-out" the exterior sheathing.

I'd be interested to learn what, if anything, was used to tie the new structure into the original one. Whatever they used was poor/non-existant. The surviving barrels are now thankfull.
180622172049-01-barton-1792-distillery-collapse-exlarge-169.jpg

1000x-1.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently they had no shortage of people volunteering to clean up the mess (actually reported in a news story about the incident).

Given the clean, sheer break from the (m)other structure, it suggests that the storage decking in the addition failed. The other giveaway is/are the horizontal lines on the exterior of the (m)other structure, suggesting that when originally built, 2"x 4" lumber was used to "kick-out" the exterior sheathing.

I'd be interested to learn what, if anything, was used to tie the new structure into the original one. Whatever they used was poor/non-existant. The surviving barrels are now thankfull.

1000x-1.jpg
Probably over a thousand rodents who live nearby are goin' to be chill as f*ck for the next week or so...

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Will you guys stop.

Bourbon has been lost and you guys are talking politics? Show some respect!
Not politics. ECON. The whole reason there IS bourbon. For those of us who piddled around with the dismal science back in the day, it was easy to believe we would never see trade wars again. Now here we go.

I never knew there was much of a foreign market for bourbon, but maybe the tariff pressures are great enough to be disruptive.

Not politics. ECON. The whole reason there IS bourbon. For those of us who piddled around with the dismal science back in the day, it was easy to believe we would never see trade wars again. Now here we go.

I never knew there was much of a foreign market for bourbon, but maybe the tariff pressures are great enough to be disruptive.

Econopolitics.

We lost bourbon people. I am in tears.

bourbon and whiskey is booming in asia as they have a huge middle class explosion and it is a sign there of prestige to drink american whiskey. and american consumption is up too, essentially replacing wine. all the big whiskey makers are expanding tremendously along with a ton of boutique whiskey akin to the craft beer craze. and most likely that bourbon was NOT insured. talking to whisky people, nobody will ensure the actual contents of the building without a huge premium and deductible so most end up not doing much insuring of the actual whiskey inside the building, just the building itself.

1000x-1.jpg
Some engineer forgot to carry the 1.

1000x-1.jpg
Nice assessment PPB, if I find a preliminary forensic report I'll flag you on the board.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy
Some engineer forgot to carry the 1.

Redneck Engineering Exam
07/01/1999

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will support a 10 pound possum.

2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when placed on blocks in your front yard?
    a) `66 Ford Fairlane
    b) `69 Chevrolet Chevelle
    c) `64 Pontiac GTO

3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to condense the product? For extra credit, calculate the number of pigs and the size of the pig farm required for their excretions to disguise the smell of the mash and whiskey from the ATF.

4. A pulpwood cutter has a chain saw that operates at 2,700 rpm. The density of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Pabst Blue Ribbons will be consumed during the cutting and clearing of the trees?

5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented its charge of R-12 Freon simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?

6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1 inch rough sawed pine. When the porch collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?

7. A man owns a house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an average slope of 15 percent. The man has 5 children. Can each of the children place a mobile home on the man`s land?

8. A 2 ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding down a steep grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the average traffic loading of secondary roads, how many people will swerve to avoid the truck before it crashes at the bottom of the mountain? For extra credit, how many of the vehicles that swerved already had bad mufflers and cracked windshields?

9. A coal mine operates as an NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the beginning of 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be smoked during the shift?

10. How many generations will it take before cattle develop two legs shorter than the others because of grazing along a mountain side? For extra credit, how many of the evolved cows will be "left" ridge runners and how many will be "right" ridge runners? PE

Electricity from Water

A San Francisco Supervisor, when shown a new hydroelectric plant: "Do you mean to tell me that the people of San Francisco are drinking water after all the electricity has been taken out of it?"

0.gif

Redneck Engineering Exam
07/01/1999

1. Calculate the smallest limb diameter on a persimmon tree that will support a 10 pound possum.

2. Which of the following cars will rust out the quickest when placed on blocks in your front yard?
    a) `66 Ford Fairlane
    b) `69 Chevrolet Chevelle
    c) `64 Pontiac GTO

3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine per hour, how many car radiators are necessary to condense the product? For extra credit, calculate the number of pigs and the size of the pig farm required for their excretions to disguise the smell of the mash and whiskey from the ATF.

4. A pulpwood cutter has a chain saw that operates at 2,700 rpm. The density of the pine trees in a plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Pabst Blue Ribbons will be consumed during the cutting and clearing of the trees?

5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented its charge of R-12 Freon simultaneously, what would be the decrease in the ozone layer?

6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1 inch rough sawed pine. When the porch collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?

7. A man owns a house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an average slope of 15 percent. The man has 5 children. Can each of the children place a mobile home on the man`s land?

8. A 2 ton pulpwood truck is overloaded and proceeding down a steep grade on a secondary road at 45 mph. The brakes fail. Given the average traffic loading of secondary roads, how many people will swerve to avoid the truck before it crashes at the bottom of the mountain? For extra credit, how many of the vehicles that swerved already had bad mufflers and cracked windshields?

9. A coal mine operates as an NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The mine employs 120 miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the beginning of 3rd shift. How many cartons of unfiltered Camels will be smoked during the shift?

10. How many generations will it take before cattle develop two legs shorter than the others because of grazing along a mountain side? For extra credit, how many of the evolved cows will be "left" ridge runners and how many will be "right" ridge runners? PE

Electricity from Water

A San Francisco Supervisor, when shown a new hydroelectric plant: "Do you mean to tell me that the people of San Francisco are drinking water after all the electricity has been taken out of it?"

0.gif

Pitt students only had to do the evens to pass....

On the local 5:00 news they said they were going to run tests on the water supply to see if it was contaminated by spilled bourbon. At 5:30 my wife asked why I was filling every available container with tap water.

Seriously, how much "contamination" can bourbon do to a water supply?

ADVERTISEMENT