ADVERTISEMENT

76 people OD in Connecticut park yesterday

Yeah, the whole reason people started smoking that crap, instead of cannabis, was to avoid a positive drug test.

Thats an added side "benefit" (and I use that term very loosely) but most smoke it cause they can buy it in a store or get it easier than meeting some guy behind a Walmart at Midnight.

Reactions: 83wuzme
8:30 in the AM on a Wednesday?? Do you think any of these people work or worry about drug tests?

Yes. Many people are unemployed because they have a criminal record and, many people with criminal records are currently on probation or parole, which requires you to pass drug tests.

They sold this stuff at Jamaica Junction downtown State College 8 years ago...

People really need to smoke a drug to get through their day? To feel better? If they are dealing with chronic pain, that's a whole different thing, but if it's for recreational purposes. At 8:30 a.m.?

So what happens in real life situations and times of emergencies and crisis? Grow up and deal with reality. Life isn't always a bowl of cherries.

I don't want the pilot of my plane smoking weed. I don't want my bus driver smoking weed. I don't want my kid's bus driver smoking weed. They want to do it after work, that is fine by me, but when it could impact me.....now get off my lawn!

No wonder college kids need their timeout I'm stressed out rooms or whatever. Frickin soft! Bunch of snowflakes still needing a pacifier.

Last edited:
Yes. Many people are unemployed because they have a criminal record and, many people with criminal records are currently on probation or parole, which requires you to pass drug tests.

I
maxresdefault.jpg

Legalize real marijuana and nobody will have to smoke the fake stuff.
Agreed in part. But too often it isn’t lack of safer options as much as choosing to go with the more powerful options.

Human nature can create some pretty self destructive behavior, especially in the folks who don’t yet realize their own mortality.

Here’s hoping the legalization movement will reduce demand for the more dangerous stuff. It doesn’t seem to be going in that direction to me, but K2 isnt really part of my world right now. Man, I hope my kids steer clear of the bad stuff.

Reactions: fizzyskittles
People really need to smoke a drug to get through their day? To feel better? If they are dealing with chronic pain, that's a whole different thing, but if it's for recreational purposes. At 8:30 a.m.?

So what happens in real life situations and times of emergencies and crisis? Grow up and deal with reality. Life isn't always a bowl of cherries.

I don't want the pilot of my plane smoking weed. I don't want my bus driver smoking weed. I don't want my kid's bus driver smoking weed. They want to do it after work, that is fine by me, but when it could impact me.....now get off my lawn!

No wonder college kids need their timeout I'm stressed out rooms or whatever. Frickin soft! Bunch of snowflakes still needing a pacifier.
Hard to tell if your rant was serious or sarcastic. Certainly, legal marijuana use isn’t treated much different from alcohol use in terms of pilots, bus drivers, etc.

Hard to argue in favor of anybody needing their fix at 8:30am being allowed to then operate public transportation vehicles.

Reactions: ralphster

Yes, they are unemployed because of their criminal background... not the fact that they are smoking synthetic pot at 8:30am.

If only it were legal so they could smoke pot and work.

LdN

Yes, because alcohol is legal and there are no problems with that.

I know I'm opening a can of worms and will regret posting this but I agree. I know about all the problems with alcohol. But why do we want to introduce yet another product into the legal marketplace that will be abused? If marijuana is legalized there will be people who use and abuse it who don't now, either because they're afraid of getting arrested or they're just conforming with the law. Even if that number is relatively low, why do we want to add that additional number of people abusing the substance into society?

I know I'm opening a can of worms and will regret posting this but I agree. I know about all the problems with alcohol. But why do we want to introduce yet another product into the legal marketplace that will be abused? If marijuana is legalized there will be people who use and abuse it who don't now, either because they're afraid of getting arrested or they're just conforming with the law. Even if that number is relatively low, why do we want to add that additional number of people abusing the substance into society?

See states such as Colorado, Washington, etc. They tax the sh*t out of it and it brings many jobs along with it. When you think of abusing drugs, most (especially me) dont include marijuana in the same sentence.

Reactions: BBrown

LOL, seriously? C'mon people can "abuse" anything. Do we get rid of food? I mean there certainly more people that die from being overweight or the reprocussions of that than OD on pot.

Agreed in part. But too often it isn’t lack of safer options as much as choosing to go with the more powerful options.

Human nature can create some pretty self destructive behavior, especially in the folks who don’t yet realize their own mortality.

Here’s hoping the legalization movement will reduce demand for the more dangerous stuff. It doesn’t seem to be going in that direction to me, but K2 isnt really part of my world right now. Man, I hope my kids steer clear of the bad stuff.[/QUOT
You’re right there’s no guarantee that legalization will decrease this. Both weed and heroin are illegal but easily available but some still chose heroin.

If we just legalized murder, think how much better the crime rate in Chicago would be.
With all due respect, your thesis is off point.
When it is legalized, it means it is taxed - heavily - by the government. This ensures two things. 1. There will always be an untaxed black market for it (that is much harder to identify and trace). 2. cheaper alternatives will persist.

Reactions: Sullivan

Yeah, drug policy provides endless examples of how when government tries to solve social probles, unintended consequences result.

The opioid epidemic -- it was one thing for the government to allow drug companies to promote heroin-based pain killers. But then, after allowing that market to be created, the government all of a sudden instituted rules making it very difficult for doctors to prescribe opioids.

So all the people who were addicted (as well as a good many who legitimately needed help with pain) simply turned to the black market, which led them to heroin and fentanyl -- not good.

The history of marijuana is another series of unintended consequences.

50 years ago the chief illegal drug was marijuana -- a low-powered leaf grown in Mexico. Then came Nixon and his anti-hippie crusade. The DEA started spraying marijuana fields with herbicides, and enlisted the Mexican government in trying to eliminate drug trafficking. This resulted in the rise of cartels, which introduced cocaine which was more profitable and easier to smuggle than bulky marijuan.

Meanwhile, marijuana growing moved to northern California where it joined up with expert plant breeders who developed more and more powerful strains. When the DEA started using planes in Humboldt County, the growers developed indoor techniques with only female plants which flowered like crazy (modern marijuana today is flowers, not leaves).

So today, in a space the size of a bathtub, people can grow as much of the active ingredient of pot as used to require a whole acre of land in Mexico.

A side benefit of this for non-potheads -- LED plant lights which were developed largely for the indoor pot industry are now making possible inexpensive indoor growing of herbs, berries and tomatoes.

So...thank you, DEA. The war on drugs hasn't been the least bit successful at stopping illegal drugs, but at least we will get better fruits and vegetables in the winter.

I knew people who got high on pot every morning. They all worked.

I don't think its any secret here that I smoke and enjoy it. :D
But I keep it to weekends and the odd occasional evening and never when I drive or have to
go somewhere ( I treat it the same as alcohol in that regard).
I think some of the people responding have only smoked Indica since that was pretty much all you could get in the 70's and 80's and had "couch lock".
There are some sativa's and hybrids out there that will get you moving like crazy and keep you pretty clear headed.
Times have changed.

They did and they still smoke the fake stuff.

PS> Crime went up in Colorado.
And the number of auto accidents have gone up as well (in Colorado and the other states that have legalized it).

I don't think its any secret here that I smoke and enjoy it. :D
But I keep it to weekends and the odd occasional evening and never when I drive or have to
go somewhere ( I treat it the same as alcohol in that regard).
I think some of the people responding have only smoked Indica since that was pretty much all you could get in the 70's and 80's and had "couch lock".
There are some sativa's and hybrids out there that will get you moving like crazy and keep you pretty clear headed.
Times have changed.
They also have this thing called coffee that does the same thing (or in Bob’s case, lattes).

Reactions: BBrown
See states such as Colorado, Washington, etc. They tax the sh*t out of it and it brings many jobs along with it. When you think of abusing drugs, most (especially me) dont include marijuana in the same sentence.

Not sure if it's accurate and it's probably too early to tell but there's reports of increased homelessness in states there pot has been legalized. Not sure the accuracy so I'm not stating it as fact but found it an interesting tidbit.

If we just legalized murder, think how much better the crime rate in Chicago would be.
With all due respect, your thesis is off point.
When it is legalized, it means it is taxed - heavily - by the government. This ensures two things. 1. There will always be an untaxed black market for it (that is much harder to identify and trace). 2. cheaper alternatives will persist.
Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT