ADVERTISEMENT

5 PSU players invited to NFL combine

Combine week in full force or farce. Joe Burrows ------small hands.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-and-twitter-had-jokes/ar-BB10ka6x?li=BBnba9I
I'm 58 years old.
Started playing football as a 7th grader.
Have coached for 28 years.
As God as my witness, I never knew the NFL ball was larger than a college football.
Found that by reading the Joe Burrows article.
ONLY - I DO MEAN ONLY - ON THE BWI RIVALS BOARD can I learn something new at 3:18 on a Monday afternoon in February while sitting in Archbold, Ohio.

EDIT:
From the article -
Still, hand measurement is one of the many elements of the combine which create headlines. And because the NFL ball is bigger than the college ball, there will always be speculation that a quarterback with small hands may struggle to control the bigger ball at the NFL level.

From STACK.com (never heard of this site, but did a search to find football sizes) -
NFL
  • Length: 11 inches
  • Width: 7 inches
  • Diameter: 21 inches

Collegiate/High School

Youth (12-14 years old)
  • Width: 6.5 inches
  • Diameter: 19.5 inches
Not looking to hijack the thread, but someone is lying!

OL

Last edited:
I'm 58 years old.
Started playing football as a 7th grader.
Have coached for 28 years.
As God as my witness, I never knew the NFL ball was larger than a college football.
Found that by reading the Joe Burrows article.
ONLY - I DO MEAN ONLY - ON THE BWI RIVALS BOARD can I learn something new at 3:18 on a Monday afternoon in February while sitting in Archbold, Ohio.

EDIT:
From the article -
Still, hand measurement is one of the many elements of the combine which create headlines. And because the NFL ball is bigger than the college ball, there will always be speculation that a quarterback with small hands may struggle to control the bigger ball at the NFL level.

From STACK.com (never heard of this site, but did a search to find football sizes) -
NFL
Collegiate/High School
Youth (12-14 years old)
  • Width: 6.5 inches
  • Diameter: 19.5 inches
Not looking to hijack the thread, but someone is lying!

OL
here's what I found....

The NFL Rule :
The Ball must be a “Wilson,” hand selected, bearing the signature of the Commissioner
of the league,...
The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) rubber bladder enclosed
in a pebble grained, leather case (natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind.
It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis,
11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21
to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces.

The NCAA Rule:
The ball shall meet the following specifications:
a. New or nearly new. (A nearly new ball is a ball that has not been altered and retains the properties and qualities of a new ball.)
b. Cover consisting of four panels of pebble-grained leather without corrugations other than seams.
c. One set of eight equally spaced lacings.
d. Natural tan color.
e. Two 1-inch white stripes that are three to three and one-quarter inches from the end of the ball and located only on the two panels adjacent to the laces.
f. Conforms to maximum and minimum dimensions and shape indicated in the accompanying diagram.
g. Inflated to the pressure of 12-1/2 to 13-1/2 pounds per square inch(psi).
h. Weight of 14 to 15 ounces. The short circumference is 20 3/4" to 21 1/4"
The long circumference is 27 3/4" to 28 1/2". The long axis is 10 7/8 to 11 7/16.

Reactions: OhioLion
I'm 58 years old.

EDIT:
From the article -

OL

Except for the fact that some of the best QBs had small hands. I guess Brady and Rodgers cant play because they have small hands. The best QBs in history are Nick Foles, Jim Druckenmiller and probably Dan McGuire based on hand size.

Still, hand measurement is one of the many elements of the combine which create headlines.

I have a neighbor that used to work for an NFL team. I recall being surprised that one of his duties was hand measurements.

I have a neighbor that used to work for an NFL team. I recall being surprised that one of his duties was hand measurements.

I was watching a Youtube video of Chris Simms tossing a football with Fromm. Simms flashed his big hands. Fromm's looked small in comparison. Simms' hands did not turn him into a star NFL QB.

Jim Drukenmiller is #1 on that list.

Elway, Montana, Marino, Brady, Young, and Rodgers did not make the list. )
---Elway, himself a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback who disclosed that he has 10 1/8-inch hands, agreed that "hand size is important."

Elway noted that "As a player you never look at it, as a GM you always do."

--Aaron Rodgers.
When Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was being sacked from behind by Cowboys safety Jeff Heath, he didn’t lose the ball he had in his right hand. Why not?

Size matters,” Rodgers said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com.

When he was at the Scouting Combine, his hands measured 10 1/8 inches. Assuming they haven’t grown since then (or that he hasn’t had them stretched), that makes them officially large.

“His grip strength has got to be fantastic,” Falcons coach Dan Quinn said. “I totally thought the same thing. During the game, I said, ‘That’s amazing that the ball did not come out.’”

Anything under 9 1/2 inches is considered small, and can make it harder for a quarterback to grip the ball well enough to spin it in inclement weather. Or in Rodgers case, to secure it without fumbling while being drilled from behind with 18 seconds left in a tied playoff game.

Except for the fact that some of the best QBs had small hands. I guess Brady and Rodgers cant play because they have small hands. The best QBs in history are Nick Foles, Jim Druckenmiller and probably Dan McGuire based on hand size.
You might not want to mention Brady when disputing that list. ;)

Michigan has 11 invited. The amount of talent that Jim is sending to the NFL is unreal and recruits are taking notice. He has it rollin in Ann Arbor

Did I miss something, or how did Michigan do in the B10 Championship game with ALL that talent?

Actually, his hands are completely average. His problem is he has deflated balls.

NOPE!. His hands are small compared to NFL QBs. He is not being compared to Joe the Plumber.

That is like saying the average 40 time is 6 seconds and Brady has average to good speed. Kind of irrelevant. Average speed is SLOW by NFL standards.

NOPE!. His hands are small compared to NFL QBs. He is not being compared to Joe the Plumber.

That is like saying the average 40 time is 6 seconds and Brady has average to good speed. Kind of irrelevant. Average speed is SLOW by NFL standards.
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3/1/17066910/nfl-combine-hand-measurement-quarterback-draft

"Pioli contrasted Kingsbury — who had the smallest hands at the combine — with Tom Brady, who has huge, enormous hands (the biggest hands) and was famously drafted in the sixth round because everyone knew he would be successful:

“We asked him to come to New England in inclement weather and try to throw the football and control the football; where you have someone like Tom Brady, who has an enormous hand ... You look at the pictures of Tommy holding a football, part of his accuracy is based on his hand size.”

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3/1/17066910/nfl-combine-hand-measurement-quarterback-draft

"Pioli contrasted Kingsbury — who had the smallest hands at the combine — with Tom Brady, who has huge, enormous hands (the biggest hands) and was famously drafted in the sixth round because everyone knew he would be successful:

“We asked him to come to New England in inclement weather and try to throw the football and control the football; where you have someone like Tom Brady, who has an enormous hand ... You look at the pictures of Tommy holding a football, part of his accuracy is based on his hand size.”

Nope. Brady's hands are 9 3/8ths which is in the bottom half of NFL starters.. Your post does not even list his hand size. Paoli wants guys with 10" hands which is ironic. Brady and Rodgers are under 10". Your link also lists the hand size of Mahomes as under 10.

No correlation between hand size and being a good QB.

Last edited:
Nope. Brady's hands are 9 3/8ths which is in the bottom half of NFL starters.. Your post does not even list his hand size. Paoli wants guys with 10" hands which is ironic. Brady and Rodgers are under 10". Your link also lists the hand size of Mahomes as under 10.

No correlation between hand size and being a good QB.
I said his hands are average, which is what you said. Paoli said his hands are gigantic. I never met Brady and shook his hand so I don't know. Paoli was the VP of personnel for the Pats so I'll take his word. Why would he lie about something like that?

Ok I'll answer my own question. It's because the Pats are still a bunch of filthy cheaters that continue to cheat after they got caught deflating balls because Brady has average sized hands. Every one of Tommy's SB victories should be stripped because, as this years violation of videoing the other teams signs AGAIN shows, these idiots have been cheating all along.

I said his hands are average, which is what you said. Paoli said his hands are gigantic. I never met Brady and shook his hand so I don't know. Paoli was the VP of personnel for the Pats so I'll take his word. Why would he lie about something like that?

Ok I'll answer my own question. It's because the Pats are still a bunch of filthy cheaters that continue to cheat after they got caught deflating balls because Brady has average sized hands. Every one of Tommy's SB victories should be stripped because, as this years violation of videoing the other teams signs AGAIN shows, these idiots have been cheating all along.

In the same story Paoli also said EVERYONE knew Brady would be successful. I guess that is why they all let him slide 6 rounds. Paoli also thought Kingsbury would be successful which is why he drafted him too. Sounds a like a BS artist.

At the end of the day there are a lot of NFL QBs with bigger hands and lower results. No correlation between size and results.

At the end of the day there are a lot of NFL QBs with bigger hands and lower results. No correlation between size and results.
But there is a correlation of a QB cheating and results, which trumps hand size. Serious question, how long ago did they start measuring QB hands at the combine?

Fran Tarkenton

ADVERTISEMENT