ADVERTISEMENT

Football 46 thoughts on Penn State's win over Ohio

From the article where Dylan talks around the biggest take aways from the game. To play the devil's advocate.

"15. The offensive line may have allowed five sacks in the game but I thought overall there were a lot of positives in the game for the offensive line additionally, at least two of those sacks were due to Sean Clifford or Drew Allar not getting rid of the ball."

Overall, the line looked worse than last week minus one play. That play was Singleton's long TD where the right guard actually got outside the right tackle, downfield and actually shielded a defender allowing Singleton to get outside. For the most part, they were on par with last year. These are the types of blocks our linemen are not suited to execute but are a staple of the offense. For one single play however, it was executed properly. Overall, Singleton is special. He made the line look way better than they were on rushing plays. We regularly got beat off the snap on pass plays. There was a ton of QB pressure all day but Ohio lacked the athletes to get home. The line may have taken a small step forward from last year but it wasn't a big one.

Second point on this issue, our receivers were single covered (with some zone) by Ohio. Not Ohio State. Ohio. Sure they eventually got open when Clifford was able to bide time or the line held up longer than they usually do but eventually receivers do get open. That is a problem. If they can't get open vs. the worst secondary we play, what happens later?

"38. Overall, it was a great day for Penn State's defense and one that you can't find my complaints with. There were visible improvements, to say the least, and as they continue to play in this Manny Diaz defense and get comfortable playing in it in game situations, it should continue to improve."

This misses the big picture entirely. This is an Ohio team coming off of a 3 and 9 season. We couldn't get pressure without blitzing. When we did blitz, we opened up sizeable portion of the field that Ohio was able to take advantage of it regularly and they are well below the average Big Ten team and below the worst. This is huge and was obviously going to be a problem going into the season. We had zero pressure up the middle which was a major problem last week and will get worse. The ends were frequently engulfed by linemen in the running game just like last year. These are major red flags. Similar red flags were apparent throughout last year's early start but ignored by most fans.

Long story short, the issues we faced last year, we face this year. Some have been partly mitigated and are therefore better, some are worse. We do not have a 3 tech to get pressure up the middle. We do not have a combo end to set the edge. We do not have the deep receiver needed to open up the offense. We still have to blitz on almost every down to get pressure which will continue to leave the middle open. Nothing I have seen through two indicates we are better than last year or project to winning more than seven or eight games this year.

Last edited:
From the article where Dylan talks around the biggest take aways from the game. To play the devil's advocate.

"15. The offensive line may have allowed five sacks in the game but I thought overall there were a lot of positives in the game for the offensive line additionally, at least two of those sacks were due to Sean Clifford or Drew Allar not getting rid of the ball."

Overall, the line looked worse than last week minus one play. That play was Singleton's long TD where the right guard actually got outside the right tackle, downfield and actually shielded a defender allowing Singleton to get outside. For the most part, they were on par with last year. These are the types of blocks our linemen are not suited to execute but are a staple of the offense. For one single play however, it was executed properly. Overall, Singleton is special. He made the line look way better than they were on rushing plays. We regularly got beat off the snap on pass plays. There was a ton of QB pressure all day but Ohio lacked the athletes to get home. The line may have taken a small step forward from last year but it wasn't a big one.

Second point on this issue, our receivers were single covered (with some zone) by Ohio. Not Ohio State. Ohio. Sure they eventually got open when Clifford was able to bide time or the line held up longer than they usually do but eventually receivers do get open. That is a problem. If they can't get open vs. the worst secondary we play, what happens later?

"38. Overall, it was a great day for Penn State's defense and one that you can't find my complaints with. There were visible improvements, to say the least, and as they continue to play in this Manny Diaz defense and get comfortable playing in it in game situations, it should continue to improve."

This misses the big picture entirely. This is an Ohio team coming off of a 3 and 9 season. We couldn't get pressure without blitzing. When we did blitz, we opened up sizeable portion of the field that Ohio was able to take advantage of it regularly and they are well below the average Big Ten team and below the worst. This is huge and was obviously going to be a problem going into the season. We had zero pressure up the middle which was a major problem last week and will get worse. The ends were frequently engulfed by linemen in the running game just like last year. These are major red flags. Similar red flags were apparent throughout last year's early start but ignored by most fans.

Long story short, the issues we faced last year, we face this year. Some have been partly mitigated and are therefore better, some are worse. We do not have a 3 tech to get pressure up the middle. We do not have a combo end to set the edge. We do not have the deep receiver needed to open up the offense. We still have to blitz on almost every down to get pressure which will continue to leave the middle open. Nothing I have seen through two indicates we are better than last year or project to winning more than seven or eight games this year.
Great thoughts! Definitely some good talking points.

I will add that the defense generating one turnover in two games is concerning. How many times in a game do we hear, "almost intercepted"?

Too funny - Singleton had 10 carries for 179 yards, 2 TDs, but according to Waldo his numbers weren't any good if you eliminate the 70 yard TD run???? So let me get this straight, 9 rushes for 109 yards (i.e., 12 ypc) sucks and shows no improvement from our primary back last year??? LMAO, this dude is such a tool.

Too funny - Singleton had 10 carries for 179 yards, 2 TDs, but according to Waldo his numbers weren't any good if you eliminate the 70 yard TD run???? So let me get this straight, 9 rushes for 109 yards (i.e., 12 ypc) sucks and shows no improvement from our primary back last year??? LMAO, this dude is such a tool.
Get rid of his worst run as well.

Leave it to Wally to piss on anything positive written about PSU….after all, that’s what true fans do.

My concern.
Not getting pressure on opposing QB unless they blitz. I still think this defensive line looks smallish. Can't really judge them until they go up against a good running team, I'm afraid they might have to bring safeties in to help stop the run.

A negative analysis from Coach Wally. I'm stunned, speechless, how out of character.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
Most reasonable residents here felt like an 8-4 regular season record was attainable and realistic with this team.
Saturday we saw several highly touted freshman, demonstrate (3 months out of high school) the skills that earned them their stars. Will it repeat consistently against superior competition? Probably not. Does it warrant a sense of optimism for future achievement? Indubitably!
Try as they might the NNNNNCAC cannot unseat James Franklin. They are helpless, hapless and powerless. Yet, they will emerge from their weekly caucus.....even in victory, in a feeble attempt to sway the opinions of others here (who likewise are merely fans).
They cling to and promote their defeatist, pessimistic and cynical message at every opportunity.
To what end is this inane nonsense? We have a coach that has a new 10 year contract.
He is not going anywhere.

What do you hope to achieve? Newsflash......PSU is not a playoff team. Not this year and likely not next year. With the expanded field in 2024.... based on what I saw in terms of potential on Saturday...I think it is very possible.

Coaches are not perfect, officials are not perfect, players are not perfect...
only the NNNNNCAC never, never err. LOL

I attempt to stay positive but can't disagree with this take . There are bright spots for growth all over the field. OL is still a big concern on the right side. Think everything else has potential to get better .

ADVERTISEMENT