ADVERTISEMENT

3rd Down and Short

drunkatmydesk

Oct 10, 2005
This is a big problem area that needs to be fixed fast...

Trace seems to be making the wrong reads...I get that he's probably reading his keys, but he's not the guy I want to see running the ball on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and goal. Barkley needs to have the ball in his hands...I would rather take my chances with a generational talent at running back vs. a undersized QB.

The formation they use is not good for short yardage. Need like a pro set or full house with the QB under center for a quicker attack to the LOS than handing the ball off deep and giving time for the defense to collapse around the QB and RB.

It was a problem last year too. Not a package Moorhead is interested in adding apparently.

I completely agree. I hate the RPO when we have a beast like Barkley or Robinson. Line 'em up in an I with the QB under center. McSorley for a QB sneak.. or a RB with five yards of forward momentum...

Making a few shows improvement. Penn State made some amazing 3rd and 4th down conversions last night. You simply can't convert all of them.
With the OL and backfield talent we have on this team, there is no good reason a 3rd or 4th and less than a hard shouldn't be close to 90%.

I think the qb under center in a system that never uses it is a recipe for fumbles unfortunately.

How hard is it to put in a short yardage package with the QB under center and Andre Robinson as the RB? He's a bowling ball out there.

Totally agree. If Moorhead is such an offensive genius, why has this been such a chronic problem, especially if the OL is now improved? How about your suggestion with Stevens under center? I'm sure it will be addressed in some way, but it almost cost us this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT