ADVERTISEMENT

3 more?

willy1217

Oct 3, 2015
Have to see how they respond but could be three more losses to come..........I visit this forum but typically don't provide any posts but this performance got to me. Lack of discipline, penalties, defensive confusion on MSU last two drives--players waiting on coaches for calls while MSU snapping and most of all the unimaginative offensive scheme. Because the Trace RPO worked against OSU didn't mean MSU wouldn't adjust to counter it. I'm disappointed in multiple areas but this game should not have been this close

Have to see how they respond but could be three more losses to come..........I visit this forum but typically don't provide any posts but this performance got to me. Lack of discipline, penalties, defensive confusion on MSU last two drives--players waiting on coaches for calls while MSU snapping and most of all the unimaginative offensive scheme. Because the Trace RPO worked against OSU didn't mean MSU wouldn't adjust to counter it. I'm disappointed in multiple areas but this game should not have been this close
I'm glad you posted this. My friends are always saying that it's my imagination when I point out that our defense is not ready for the snap of the ball. I see players looking around.....turned the wrong way.....trying to find their spot on the formation...total confusion.

Last edited:
I expect it.

Franklin is too busy Being a politician to actually get involved in coaching. Doesn’t he coach special teams, The group that gets hoodwinked every effing week? Pry doesn’t care about statistics apparently. Rahne isn’t really qualified to be coaching st joes prep, yet alone be the OC for us.

What a shitshow

I believe we will probably have 3 more losses....Michigan, Iowa and either Wisky or Maryland. I believe thats realistic. I misjudged how far along this team is....we need do mature quite a bit before we can compete at a very high level....especially on defense and the OL.

Reactions: GregInPitt
There is only one definite win left on the schedule, and that is Rutgers. After yesterday's loss, we are going to have to find another win somewhere on this schedule just to get bowl eligible. Indiana and Maryland are the next 2 best games to pick win #6, and both of those games will likely be dog fights.

These losses are perplexing. We have the talent to be winning 9, 10, 11 maybe even 12 games, as evidenced by the total number of games we've lost by 1-4 points over the past 2-3 seasons. Losing to a Michigan State team at home after a bye week with them having one arm behind their backs due to all of their injuries, and on their 6th different lineup on the OL this season is beyond inexcusable. There seems to be several coaches on both sides of the ball not getting it done. It's the only explanation I can see as viable. 2 weeks to prepare for a seriously depleted MSU team, on homecoming, with raucous crowd ready to go??? C'mon man!!!

Reactions: Ct. Lion
There is only one definite win left on the schedule, and that is Rutgers. After yesterday's loss, we are going to have to find another win somewhere on this schedule just to get bowl eligible. Indiana and Maryland are the next 2 best games to pick win #6, and both of those games will likely be dog fights.

These losses are perplexing. We have the talent to be winning 9, 10, 11 maybe even 12 games, as evidenced by the total number of games we've lost by 1-4 points over the past 2-3 seasons. Losing to a Michigan State team at home after a bye week with them having one arm behind their backs due to all of their injuries, and on their 6th different lineup on the OL this season is beyond inexcusable. There seems to be several coaches on both sides of the ball not getting it done. It's the only explanation I can see as viable. 2 weeks to prepare for a seriously depleted MSU team, on homecoming, with raucous crowd ready to go??? C'mon man!!!

But MSU was expected to be really good in the preseason... (sarcasm)

Reactions: psu2016 and klive
The doom and gloom here is incredible.

We have no linebackers or DT depth. Our WR are young as are out TEs. We've got a great tactician at QB but he simply isn't very physically gifted. That is, he goes as far as the talent he can utilize that is around him. Or RB is really really good but he is not #26. We now have no second team RB.

We also were very unlucky. Msu put the ball on the ground and lost zero fumbles. We dropped two critical game winning INTs. The players simply didn't make the plays.

I always thought this was a three or four loss team.

This is what young teams teams do. They make mistakes and are inconsistent. Let's not lose focus on the process of improvement

We have no linebackers or DT depth. Our WR are young as are out TEs. We've got a great tactician at QB but he simply isn't very physically gifted. That is, he goes as far as the talent he can utilize that is around him. Or RB is really really good but he is not #26. We now have no second team RB.

We also were very unlucky. Msu put the ball on the ground and lost zero fumbles. We dropped two critical game winning INTs. The players simply didn't make the plays.

This is what young teams teams do. They make mistakes and are inconsistent. Let's not lose focus on the process of improvement

So what improvement have you seen as the season has progressed? You didn’t focus on improvement once in your post until pontificating about how it should be the focus.

Reactions: klive
Every game here on could very well be close, but we knew Lewerke could drive the field and beat us if we let him. Had we caught 1 of the 2 dropped INTs, and won this game, would people really feel better going forward? I'd probably feel worse because after another saturday of chaos, we would have been #6 at worst and decidedly not looking like a playoff caliber team even with an excellent shot at getting there.

Last edited:
Reactions: klive

I don’t disagree, but we lost the last five games after having 4th QTR leads. We have the players.

Reactions: grinagrin and klive

I agree for the most part, however, with two weeks to prepare, I was very disappointed with the offensive game plan. It's not like we did not know what MSU was going to do on defense. Hell, we already saw it vs Pitt and to some extent OSU.

Every game here on could very well be close, but we knew Lewerke could drive the field and beat us if we let him. Had we caught 1 of the 2 dropped INTs, and won this game, would people really feel better going forward? I'd probably feel worse because after another saturday of chaos, we would have been #6 at worst and decidedly not looking like a playoff caliber team even with an excellent shot at getting there.

Really good teams find a way to win when they are not playing their best. We are not there yet.

So what improvement have you seen as the season has progressed? You didn’t focus on improvement once in your post until pontificating about how it should be the focus.

Actually I thought the defense played their most complete game. They simply wore out because the Offense could not sustain any type of drive/ball control in the fourth quarter. what were there? three three and outs in the last eight min.?

Reactions: EPC FAN and psu2016
I don’t disagree, but we lost the last five games after having 4th QTR leads. We have the players.
Yep. Personally I think it's the offensive scheme. We are either going to have to add a power running game or be more aggressive on offense; take more risks. Oh yeah, teach our fifth year senior QB to not run OOB when trying to run out the clock.

I'm glad you posted this. My friends are always saying that it's my imagination when I point out that our defense is not ready for the snap of the ball. I see players looking around.....turned the wrong way.....trying to find their spit on the formation...total confusion.
They are never set, moving around all the time

I agree for the most part, however, with two weeks to prepare, I was very disappointed with the offensive game plan. It's not like we did not know what MSU was going to do on defense. Hell, we already saw it vs Pitt and to some extent OSU.
Yeah but wonder, send to me, more often than not, teams are flat after two weeks.

I also have to ask, in college football, would you rather be up or down by six points going into the fourth quarter? If like to see the stats on who typically wins

Actually I thought the defense played their most complete game. They simply wore out because the Offense could not sustain any type of drive/ball control in the fourth quarter. what were there? three three and outs in the last eight min.?

Two dropped game winning interceptions and the inability to stop the wide receiver everyone in the stadium knew they were going to be throwing to doesn’t really reek of completeness. Neither does the personal foul penalty after stopping them on the one.

The WRs aren't that young. The biggest disappointments have been Johnson and Thompkins. Both have been here at least four years. The only bright spot has been a freshman Hamler.

The young excuse isn't valid and rarely is.

WRs are not young. JJ, Polk, Thompkins all in the program at least 4 years. Two linebackers are in their third year of significant playing time. Both CBs have 4 and 5 years in program. Safeties have 4 and 5 years in the program. OL returned 4 starters.

The only place we are inexperienced is RB and TE and they have been the best positions on the team along with Trace.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
No way this team loses three more games. It is "college football", correction, "conference college football", good teams have a game like this once in awhile, if the game plan is not correct, or the players are flat or whatever, seldom does it become a trend.

Reactions: 81b&w
Two dropped game winning interceptions and the inability to stop the wide receiver everyone in the stadium knew they were going to be throwing to doesn’t really reek of completeness. Neither does the personal foul penalty after stopping them on the one.
Point taken, but considering the amount of pressure put on them due to the inability of the offense to make a first down or two, I find it hard to blame the defense.

Point taken, but considering the amount of pressure put on them due to the inability of the offense to make a first down or two, I find it hard to blame the defense.

Team effort. All of the losses have been multiple failures by multiple units. That’s what I personally find so frustrating. It’s not one area they consistently come up short in and they need to address. It’s a lot of areas and it points to systemic issues that are going to be a lot more difficult to correct.

Really good teams find a way to win when they are not playing their best. We are not there yet.

Really good teams make 10 yds when they need to do so. Really good teams don't drop int's right in their hands when thay can close out the game. Really good teams don't lose at home when they lead in the fourth qtr with under 2 minutes to go...we are close, but it does get frustrating.

I think the only sure loss on the schedule is Michigan. Every other game we will be in for sure, and can win. Will we, I don't know.

My only hope at this time is that UM takes us lightly, and we can play spoiler to them. I'm not sure what's up with Wisky. Are we seeing Christ's recruiting now coming into play, and they are sliding backwards, or is it just a bad year.

I think the only sure loss on the schedule is Michigan. Every other game we will be in for sure, and can win. Will we, I don't know.
Why is Michigan all of the sudden unbeatable! They have not been impressive at all IMO and were trailing Northwestern just 2 weeks ago in the 2nd half. They are good, but so are about 20-30 other teams.

Does ND stink because they almost lost to Pitt..a Team PSU beat by 50
Texas knocks off Oklahoma then survives Baylor by only 6
WVU gets crushed by Iowa St.
Auburn lost to Tenn

OSU looked like crap against Minny and pulled it out late
Vandy pushed Florida to the limit in the late 4th

what I'm saying is upsets happen all the time with 18-22 yr olds its just a fact of life. Unless your Alabama everyone is on upset alert every week.

Reactions: 81b&w

Just FACE it!
(We are a Volleyball School!)

Why is Michigan all of the sudden unbeatable! They have not been impressive at all IMO and were trailing Northwestern just 2 weeks ago in the 2nd half. They are good, but so are about 20-30 other teams.

Does ND stink because they almost lost to Pitt..a Team PSU beat by 50
Texas knocks off Oklahoma then survives Baylor by only 6
WVU gets crushed by Iowa St.
Auburn lost to Tenn

OSU looked like crap against Minny and pulled it out late
Vandy pushed Florida to the limit in the late 4th

what I'm saying is upsets happen all the time with 18-22 yr olds its just a fact of life. Unless your Alabama everyone is on upset alert every week.

Of course it could happen. I just don't see it happening. Our Oline will get eaten up by UM's defense, and our defense will get worn down against UM's power run game. I predict the game will slip away again in the 4th quarter. Book it.

Reactions: JJTopp99

Thank gawd we have Buttgers on the schedule! Win two more and El Paso is a lock in late December! Awesome!

We will beat Indiana even though I think it will be battle. Prob something like 27-24.

Iowa is a question mark. They have big lines and are a physical team. I think being home is an advantage.

Michigan. This game worries me. It’s at Ann Arbor and we never play well there. Add Michigan is peaking at right time and have a lot more playmakers. Could be a beating.

Yep. Personally I think it's the offensive scheme. We are either going to have to add a power running game or be more aggressive on offense; take more risks. Oh yeah, teach our fifth year senior QB to not run OOB when trying to run out the clock.

I believe our 5th year QB played the worst game of his career. Poor choices consistently on the zone read, poorly thrown passes, ... From what I saw Trace kept the ball a few times when Sanders was going to run outside, and Trace ran up the middle. But on the scoreboard replays it seemed the plays for Trace to keep the ball and run were the plays when Sanders ran up the middle and Trace had the DE leaning inside and Trace looked to have running room wide if he had kept it.....

I don't know why Sanders is not getting a swing pass coming off blocking 2 or 3 times per game. Trace could use some help from his WR's, as I really don't see any of them consistently getting open and making tough catches in traffic. What is CJF saving Shorter for??

Last edited:
Reactions: harjeff and 81b&w
I believe we will probably have 3 more losses....Michigan, Iowa and either Wisky or Maryland. I believe thats realistic. I misjudged how far along this team is....we need do mature quite a bit before we can compete at a very high level....especially on defense and the OL.
No way, Jose.

ADVERTISEMENT