ADVERTISEMENT

2pm Maryland press conference today with President and AD...

So this conference was pretty much to say "Look how much we're doing" without actually doing anything. Seemed more like a load of grandstanding.

I don't know, but telling everyone you called and said you were sorry to the parents of the kid you let die doesn't make everything all better. You're just gonna have to take a big old bite of that turd sandwich.

Barry's reference to Ted Agu's death following a Cal football conditioning session reminds me that he had a health condition (specifically, "sickle cell trait") that contributed to his death. (Not trying to minimize his death, or the university's responsibility. Just noting that Agu did, in fact, have a health condition which exacerbated things for him.)

Did this kid McNair have any particular health condition, other than perhaps being big and carrying a large body mass, that might have contributed to his death?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere he had a liver transplant a year ago

I think you guys are mis reading this whole thing.
Today - public apology and accept responsibility
- blame the medical staff [correctly I think] , and can the S&C coach [again correctly]

1-2 weeks - Durkin is let go. If they fired Durkin today it would have been all about him, not McNair and the University responsibility, not the medical staff who should know what to do, and not he S&C who deserves special attention. IMO Durkin is toast just wait a week or two.

Court wasn't fired. He resigned. Though surely it was a forced resignation

Sounds like a pretty sweet 'forced resignation'

No matter how the announcement was spun, the 40-year-old Court — who made $285,000 annually and was the fifth-highest paid strength and conditioning coach in the country — will be compensated handsomely for leaving. He will receive $315,000, two-thirds of what he’s due for the remainder of his contract, in a settlement with the school, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-first-out-the-door/?utm_term=.26b70d9874f7

Reactions: BBrown
Sounds like a pretty sweet 'forced resignation'

No matter how the announcement was spun, the 40-year-old Court — who made $285,000 annually and was the fifth-highest paid strength and conditioning coach in the country — will be compensated handsomely for leaving. He will receive $315,000, two-thirds of what he’s due for the remainder of his contract, in a settlement with the school, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-first-out-the-door/?utm_term=.26b70d9874f7

>>Court — who made $285,000 annually and was the fifth-highest paid strength and conditioning coach in the country<<

You have got to be kidding me.
Wow MD really screwed the pooch on that hire, is Court somehow related to Durkin?
Did Court's Dad get Durkin started in his coaching career?
That is just unfreaking real.

OMG..... Just had a chance to see the UMd press conference.

Wow!

How freaking stupid and inept can one be.... and be paid to be a UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT and ATHLETIC DIRECTOR?

Wally Loh and Damon Evans - between them - if brains were dynamite, they wouldn’t have enough firepower to blow their nose.

Jeebzus.

I disagree. The president was pretty slick defending Maryland's values. He also managed to bring up the Penn State scandal. See, we made a medical mistake but look at the culture at Penn State, that's a real problem. This bs may save Durkin's skin.

I disagree. The president was pretty slick defending Maryland's values. He also managed to bring up the Penn State scandal. See, we made a medical mistake but look at the culture at Penn State, that's a real problem. This bs may save Durkin's skin.

I cant see that happening but if it does it will put MD football lower than Rutgers
Durkin sucks (he is...well was a good recruiter) and frankly Matt Canada might be a better coach.
Besides what parent is going to let their kid go to a school where the HC was complicit in killing another player?

Reactions: step.eng69
Of course, if Durkin is clearly tied to the incident then he will go. If they confine it the trainers and strength coaches he may survive. The issue isn't about Durkin, it's about Maryland's values and how is the best way to come out of this with the public thinking those values are in tact. It's only my opinion.

I cant see that happening but if it does it will put MD football lower than Rutgers

I'm not sure where Maryland stands with their debt (buyout from the ACC, etc.) or their payout from the B1G (still not a full share). Perhaps they need to make certain they can fire him for cause because they can't afford to pay his buyout. Who knows. But no way he survives this and becomes successful anytime soon without a miracle.

Durkin sucks (he is...well was a good recruiter) and frankly Matt Canada might be a better coach.
Besides what parent is going to let their kid go to a school where the HC was complicit in killing another player?

Every kid’s parent who goes to Notre Dame?

Every kid’s parent who goes to Notre Dame?

giphy.gif

As if there was any question Jordan McNairs parents told Strahan on Good Morning America today that in their view there is now way Durkin should be allowed to coach at Maryland again and should be fired immediately. Only a matter of time before he is given his package to leave. No way Maryland will keep him now.

As if there was any question Jordan McNairs parents told Strahan on Good Morning America today that in their view there is now way Durkin should be allowed to coach at Maryland again and should be fired immediately. Only a matter of time before he is given his package to leave. No way Maryland will keep him now.

I thought he and the S&C were toast from the start and I'm still not sure that other coaches that were on the field that day or that were aware of what was going on are safe.
I'd would be interested to know what and how much Matt Canada knew about what was going on.

I thought he and the S&C were toast from the start and I'm still not sure that other coaches that were on the field that day or that were aware of what was going on are safe.
I'd would be interested to know what and how much Matt Canada knew about what was going on.

Parents lawyer said the coaches were still cursing at him after he collapsed and screaming at him as his health was deteriorating

Parents lawyer said the coaches were still cursing at him after he collapsed and screaming at him as his health was deteriorating

Wow "coaches" huh. Did they say who they were?
I know there is a lot going on at practice and they are on different parts of the field but if it was something like that wouldn't everyone pretty much be aware of it? @SJLuvsLions, and other coaches.

BBrown by NCAA rule there were no other football coaches on the field that day, only S&C and training staff people, who work at the direction of their Heads ( of S&C or Training). They are underlings, they may get a rip, but not fired.

BBrown by NCAA rule there were no other football coaches on the field that day, only S&C and training staff people, who work at the direction of their Heads ( of S&C or Training). They are underlings, they may get a rip, but not fired.

So from this "Parents lawyer said the coaches were still cursing at him after he collapsed and screaming at him as his health was deteriorating"

I'm ASSuming that the coaches were of the S&C and training staff?
IMO if they are underlings (or not) and did that, then they get fired too.

Wow "coaches" huh. Did they say who they were?
I know there is a lot going on at practice and they are on different parts of the field but if it was something like that wouldn't everyone pretty much be aware of it? @SJLuvsLions, and other coaches.

Believe me, later that evening EVERY coach was aware of what happened although the specifics of the S&C guy's stupidity probably wasn't clearly spelled out. But I'm betting the guy already had a rep for being a real dick, so there's not much he would do that would shock them.

That's the whole POINT of conditioning and lifting etc. Aside from specific numbers dealing with weightlifting, the entire staff WANTS to know who is standing out and who is "slacking." If this poor kid was identified as being "soft" BELIEVE me his position coach was told about his weakness after the workout.

Here's my imaginary conversation:

S&C A-hole:
"Yeah f@#king McNair pussied out today. I only ran them a little bit and he passed the f@#k out."
Position Coach: "Then he has to step it up or he's going to find himself on the outside looking in if he can't even complete a freakin workout."

FWIW that is COMPLETELY my own fabrication of what I IMAGINE happened, and is in no way an accusation or a representation of real events. (Is that a good enough disclaimer my Legal Beagle friends?)

Believe me, later that evening EVERY coach was aware of what happened although the specifics of the S&C guy's stupidity probably wasn't clearly spelled out. But I'm betting the guy already had a rep for being a real dick, so there's not much he would do that would shock them.

That's the whole POINT of conditioning and lifting etc. Aside from specific numbers dealing with weightlifting, the entire staff WANTS to know who is standing out and who is "slacking." If this poor kid was identified as being "soft" BELIEVE me his position coach was told about his weakness after the workout.

S&C A-hole:
"Yeah f@#king McNair pussied out today. I only ran them a little bit and he passed the f@#k out."
Position Coach: "Then he has to step it up or he's going to find himself on the outside looking in if he can't even complete a freakin workout."

FWIW that is COMPLETELY my own fabrication of what I IMAGINE happened, and is in no way an accusation or a representation of real events. (Is that a good enough disclaimer my Legal Beagle friends?)

Jabrill Peppers threw Durkin under a bus yesterday while he was DC coaching Peppers at UM before moving on to MD.

"Coach Durkin, he was a different guy, you know what I mean. His tactics were different. It felt extreme at times. I'm just as shocked reading all the stuff that's going on now. I thought he was only like that because it was his first time coaching us. He was the defensive coordinator so he was just trying to get us to buy-in to how he wants his defense to play. I thought once he became a head coach that he would calm down a little bit, become more of a people person, a player's coach."

So from this "Parents lawyer said the coaches were still cursing at him after he collapsed and screaming at him as his health was deteriorating"

I'm ASSuming that the coaches were of the S&C and training staff?
IMO if they are underlings (or not) and did that, then they get fired too.

I wouldn't take anything the lawyer says as fact but, Durkin wasn't there, doesn't mean he can't be held responsible for what his staff did but saying coaches is probably misleading

Reactions: SJLuvsLions

S&C A-hole:

Thanks. SJL. Very sad for the McNair family.

Per Brett McMurphy:
Maryland BOT calls for a special closed meeting tomorrow. Topics include "removal, resignation, employment, litigation, legal counsel or personnel matters" related to university's impending lawsuit and possibly future of President Wallace Loh, AD Damon Evans, and Coach DJ Durkin.

If what McMurphy stated is accurate, would have to believe there is at least another resignation/termination within the next week. Don't think this plays out until mid-September like they originally announced to investigate.

Per Brett McMurphy:
Maryland BOT calls for a special closed meeting tomorrow. Topics include "removal, resignation, employment, litigation, legal counsel or personnel matters" related to university's impending lawsuit and possibly future of President Wallace Loh, AD Damon Evans, and Coach DJ Durkin.

Durkin and possibly a few other coaches better get the Walmart Greeter application in cause they are "TOXIC" in anything football and coaching related.
Not sure though how much blame can go to the Pres. or the AD. even though that ass hat President had to bring up the Sandusky scandal. Worry about the beam in your own eye there Loh.:mad:

If what McMurphy stated is accurate, would have to believe there is at least another resignation/termination within the next week. Don't think this plays out until mid-September like they originally announced to investigate.

According to a poster on the Den the McNair family said that there were other "coaches" yelling at Jordan during the sad event.

What is it about Youngstown, Ohio that spawns all these red-assed maniac football coaches - Durkin, Pelini, the Stoops boys. Is there a single one in the Bill Walsh/Tom Landry category or are they all just lunatics?

The board announcement probably means Loh and the relevant board members have decided their next move. Maybe they feel they can fire Durkin with cause for violating university policy or some other infraction, or they have the separation worked out with some kind of buyout of his contract. They wouldn't be involving the board for a lower level employee. It would have to be head coach or AD level. And they wouldn't be having the board meet if they didn't know what to do.

The way they fired Court and Loh's apology means they know enough to act without waiting for the report to be completed. And certainly from a PR perspective they need to expedite this. Every time Durkin's parents are on Good Morning America, stuff like that is very costly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT