ADVERTISEMENT

2pm Maryland press conference today with President and AD...

I guess that I don't understand the recruiting process. These kids see the coaching style when they visit, right? It's not like they didn't know what they were signing up for, is it?

Disagree. Some of these kids would have just gotten there either this summer or maybe even just a month or so ago.

Any of them would have been outstanding successors when Fridge hung it up (meaning - pushed out). Instead they went with the grab bag approach and came up with back-to-back slappies.

They wouldn't recognize talent if they stepped over it.

That was also under Debbie Yow's watch and she was horrible.
Everyone associated with MD wanted her gone.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Any of them would have been outstanding successors when Fridge hung it up (meaning - pushed out). Instead they went with the grab bag approach and came up with back-to-back slappies.

They wouldn't recognize talent if they stepped over it.
here's a clip about Ralph being pushed out.....

Friedgen and his team take the field in the 2010 Military Bowl
Maryland went 8–4 during the regular season.[29] For the turnaround, the Atlantic Coast Conference named Friedgen the ACC Coach of the Year.[30]

After Maryland won seven of its first ten games, questions about Friedgen's job security diminished.[31][32] On November 19, 2010, Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson announced that Friedgen would be returning for the 2011 season, the final year of his contract.[33] Despite this announcement, after offensive coordinator James Franklin accepted a job at Vanderbilt and offered positions to four other members of the staff,[34] Anderson did not answer questions about Friedgen's future on December 17.[35] On December 18, 2010, it was reported in The Washington Post that the school was terminating him as head coach and had offered him a buyout of his remaining contract valued at $2,000,000.[36] On December 20, 2010, athletic director Kevin Anderson made an official announcement that Friedgen would not be returning for the 2011 season.[37] In an interview with WNST in Baltimore, Friedgen said he was so angry over the firing that he burned his Maryland diploma and now roots mainly for Georgia Tech.[38][39]

here's a clip about Ralph being pushed out.....

Friedgen and his team take the field in the 2010 Military Bowl
Maryland went 8–4 during the regular season.[29] For the turnaround, the Atlantic Coast Conference named Friedgen the ACC Coach of the Year.[30]

After Maryland won seven of its first ten games, questions about Friedgen's job security diminished.[31][32] On November 19, 2010, Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson announced that Friedgen would be returning for the 2011 season, the final year of his contract.[33] Despite this announcement, after offensive coordinator James Franklin accepted a job at Vanderbilt and offered positions to four other members of the staff,[34] Anderson did not answer questions about Friedgen's future on December 17.[35] On December 18, 2010, it was reported in The Washington Post that the school was terminating him as head coach and had offered him a buyout of his remaining contract valued at $2,000,000.[36] On December 20, 2010, athletic director Kevin Anderson made an official announcement that Friedgen would not be returning for the 2011 season.[37] In an interview with WNST in Baltimore, Friedgen said he was so angry over the firing that he burned his Maryland diploma and now roots mainly for Georgia Tech.[38][39]

Thanks for the correction. I thought that was Debbie Yow's doing.

Was this PC only to say that the family deserves an apology?? If that was even up for discussion, the whole program needs to go...

Reactions: BBrown
This PC is out of control. A public apology , calling this kids death is a series of mistakes. Seriously you call what happened a series of mistakes. These are professional training staff and they didn't know enough to recognize heat exhaustion and how to treat it. The staff made other players drag this kid off the field , Durkin is present and obviously watches this happen, they fire the one trainer but Durkin is still there.

Oh and I liked when the president mentioned the one guy to the investigation team as someone who over saw the NCAA aspect of the Penn State scandal..

Yea Matt Canada is fairly new but I would like to know where he was during this whole thing.

This is the kind of question that will be raised for every member of their coaching staff. If Canada is the new man he will be first in the interrogation room. It will not be pretty.

As more comes percolating out from this disaster other coaches will be asked what they knew, when the knew it, and what did they do, or not do, about it. If they even get close to having knowledge of the Neanderthal coaching/conditioning practices they have to go.

Their Chancellor might just have to shut things down for a year and get the mess cleaned up. We are talking about a death here.

This PC is out of control. A public apology , calling this kids death is a series of mistakes. Seriously you call what happened a series of mistakes. These are professional training staff and they didn't know enough to recognize heat exhaustion and how to treat it. The staff made other players drag this kid off the field , Durkin is present and obviously watches this happen, they fire the one trainer but Durkin is still there.

Oh and I liked when the president mentioned the one guy to the investigation team as someone who over saw the NCAA aspect of the Penn State scandal..
If you’ve acknowledged that the death of a player was completely preventable, I’m not sure how the head coach isn’t canned.

urban to the Tosu "investigative committee":

"How do I look now?"

giphy-downsized.gif

Was this PC only to say that the family deserves an apology?? If that was even up for discussion, the whole program needs to go...
The press conference was pure public relations. From that perspective, it seemed to work.

So from the time line I've seen:

"
5:57 p.m. — 911 is called, unidentified caller reports that McNair is “hyperventilating” and “unable to control his breath.”

6:02 p.m. — Ambulance arrives with first-responders.

Approximately 6:07 p.m. — A first responder relays to dispatchers that there is a “male patient with seizure.”

6:08 p.m. — A paramedic crew is on its way to the scene.

6:36 p.m. — McNair arrives at Washington Adventist Hospital, in Takoma Park, per the county’s report.

Later that night — McNair is airlifted to R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore."

I'm curious why they took him to the hospital in Takoma Park when there are at least two hospitals closer to campus (I mean, I've been there and it's fine, but it's not a fantastic hospital). I'm assuming they'd want to take him to the closest option to start treatment, no?

Did Cal shut down their program when Ted Agu died? Were there hordes of yappers calling for them to be shut down?

Or when the kid at UF died?
Or the kid at VaTech?
Or the kid from Northwestern (Wheeler?) who died of a heat stroke at practice?
Auburn, Indiana, UCF, etc etc etc etc etc have all had kids die due to practice (many/most of them due to heat stroke)

On average, more than 1 per year (just among COLLEGE football players)

Were the Vikings "disbanded" when Kory Stringer died?

Why would Maryland be the only one to result in widespread Moral-Outrage?

I vaguely remember the one at Northwestern. Were there coaches present or was it during the off season.
I think what has many upset is not only McNair's needless death but the other stuff that was going on. Making players eat until they throw up, throwing weights at them...

The AD came across as a buffoon. He said they spent the last 2+ months “grieving” and are only now investigating what happened. No follow up question about what might have happened if there was another tragedy during the grieving time. He also said they didn’t know about the problems until they read the ESPN piece. That answer right there should have resulted in an immediate firing. Possibly before he finished the press conference.

Why would Maryland be the only one to result in widespread Moral-Outrage?

I don't know much about the other cases.

From what I read in the ESPN report you had a consistent pattern of abusive language, behavior, and attitude right out of 1952 "old school John Wayne coaching" at Maryland. It's not 1952.

The fact this behavior continued right up till the young man was suffering severely and others were told to "drag him off the field" is just over the top.

This is far from over. One press conference will not tell the story. If the story from the coaches, athletic trainers, and players differ by even a couple of degrees, this will go on, and on, and on.

Funny how everyone talks about due process and the AD at UMD mentions that everyone deserves due process well f-them - PSU never got “due process” just a rush to judgement.

Well, that means we as PSU fans should want to see due process, right?

They have sufficient grounds to fire the head trainer now, so they're doing it. They don't need any more process in that case. The trainer is responsible for the physical safety of the players and they have a dead player.

Durkin has got to be gone as well but it's more complicated. His degree of culpability in the McNair death has to be established, and the the other issue -- abuse/humiliation of players -- they need to try to determine what Durkin knew, what he did and then square that with Maryland employee polices and his contract. And that is important mostly for monetary reasons -- to determine whether Md. can dump him without paying him the balance of his contract. It's a lot of money so that will take time, and Durkin will have very well paid lawyers arguing his side.

But I don't think it's a question of Durkin staying or going. He's radioactive. There's no way he wasn't aware of the abusive tactics the staff was using on players. But even if that isn't provable, there's no way they can have a football program with him there. There's not a four star prospect in the country whose parents would let him even visit UMD at this point. If they don't have clear cause to fire him, they'll have to buy him out.

If they keep Durkin beyond this season, they are just stupid. He's toast on the recruiting trail right now. And his team might not even want to play for him. They longer they keep him around, the longer it will take to start digging out of this mess.

I vaguely remember the one at Northwestern. Were there coaches present or was it during the off season.
I think what has many upset is not only McNair's needless death but the other stuff that was going on. Making players eat until they throw up, throwing weights at them...

We don't know how much of that is true or overblown though...these situations are always interesting because you'll never really know the full story behind it...just put together the pieces

We don't know how much of that is true or overblown though...these situations are always interesting because you'll never really know the full story behind it...just put together the pieces

That ESPN piece looked pretty solid to me. They had details, they had multiple sources and multiple witnesses. It is VERY hard to get players to talk against their own program, and there were players willing to do it because what went on was so out of bounds.

You have to consider that ESPN reporters probably didn't even find out the worst stuff. If Maryland actually does honest interviews with players they'll get a much more complete picture than ESPN had.

Did Cal shut down their program when Ted Agu died? Were there hordes of yappers calling for them to be shut down?

Barry's reference to Ted Agu's death following a Cal football conditioning session reminds me that he had a health condition (specifically, "sickle cell trait") that contributed to his death. (Not trying to minimize his death, or the university's responsibility. Just noting that Agu did, in fact, have a health condition which exacerbated things for him.)

Did this kid McNair have any particular health condition, other than perhaps being big and carrying a large body mass, that might have contributed to his death?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT