ADVERTISEMENT

2pm Maryland press conference today with President and AD...

giphy.gif

So Very sorry about what happened to the youngster, I can't imagine the anguish and torment the family is experiencing.

Geez, Evens was just appointed AD this past June, and feeling very good about his athletic programs

Link: https://wtop.com/local-sports/2018/06/damon-evans-hired-as-athletic-director-at-maryland/

“We are going to take over this conference and we are going to do some things that other people might say ‘how in the heck did they do that?’ We did it because we worked together and I’ll make sure of that.”

Evans endorsed football coach D.J. Durkin, whose teams have compiled a 10-15 record in his first two seasons. He called Durkin “a little bit snakebit,” due to injuries his players have suffered and that the Terrapins play in the stronger of the conference’s two divisions.

“I believe in D.J. Durkin, I sat in the room and met with D.J. when we were out looking for coaches, and I believed then and I believe now that he is the right man for the job,” Evans said.

Evans also said he believes the university will not face any significant punishment related to former men’s basketball player Diamond Stone, who allegedly received thousands of dollars from an agent while he was still in school.

“We have done our due diligence and we are in a good spot right now,” he said.

I thought I originally read somewhere that the investigation was to be completed around the September 15th time frame.

So if Durkin were to be fired today, they must have found some pretty bad stuff already to let him go this fast...

If the presser from the President and AD is to just inform of an investigation...seems a little late and redundant to me.

I think entire staff is gone and the S&C coach will be prosecuted. I know had he thrown a weight at my kid or forced him to eat snickers until he puked there would be a lawsuit. Maryland is deep in this and will want to get out asap vs letting it drag into the season. I hope everyone is held accountable.

I think entire staff is gone and the S&C coach will be prosecuted. I know had he thrown a weight at my kid or forced him to eat snickers until he puked there would be a lawsuit. Maryland is deep in this and will want to get out asap vs letting it drag into the season. I hope everyone is held accountable.

It sure would be interesting to see the entire coaching staff fired in August, less than a month until the season starts. Has that ever happened?

Reactions: BBrown
It sure would be interesting to see the entire coaching staff fired in August, less than a month until the season starts. Has that ever happened?
I doubt that would happen, too much money involved, there are several relatively new guys on the staff that could take over and get them through the season.

Reactions: BBrown
One thing for sure..... Durkin has such tremendous good luck - if he owned a Cemetery, no one would die.

2016:

1) Takes over at Maryland in 2016
2) In addition to OSU in the B10 East, PSU (under CJF), MSU (under Dantonio) and UMich (under Harbaugh) take major steps forward.... giving him FOUR annual games against Top Ten level opponents - just in his own division.
3) Takes over a 3-9 team - - - - - that lost three really good defenders - two of whom left early (about the only talent on the team) to the NFL draft.

Manages to double the win total, and take the squad to a bowl game his first year...… and pulls in Maryland's best recruiting class in a decade.

2017:

4) Starts the 2017 season with a road win over Texas - one of Maryland's most impressive wins in forever...….. but loses his starting QB to season-ending injury.....
And loses his top defender to season-ending injury as well.
5) After starting 2-0.... loses his BACKUP QB - to season-ending injury - in 1st Q of game 3 (against UCF, who wasn't supposed to be ANOTHER Top Ten team on the schedule)
6) Goes to Minnesota, and wins a Big Ten road game with his third team QB
7) Lose their 3rd STRING QB to injury late in game, and drops a bizarro game to Rutgers to fall to 4-5. Effectively eliminating bowl hopes.
8) Draw not only OSU/PSU/MSU/ and Michigan on the schedule.... but also Wisconsin, UCF, Northwestern, and Texas. (4 teams in the final Top 8 in the country)

And now..... KABOOM! again.

That Boy just ain't living right.

Got one of these from 5* DE Josh Kaindoh too....

Joshua-Kaindoh-Maryland-decommitment-statement.jpg

Got one of these from 5* DE Josh Kaindoh too....

Joshua-Kaindoh-Maryland-decommitment-statement.jpg
I guess that I don't understand the recruiting process. These kids see the coaching style when they visit, right? It's not like they didn't know what they were signing up for, is it?

I thought I originally read somewhere that the investigation was to be completed around the September 15th time frame.

So if Durkin were to be fired today, they must have found some pretty bad stuff already to let him go this fast...

If the presser from the President and AD is to just inform of an investigation...seems a little late and redundant to me.
Sports pundits are saying the news conference is not about coaches. It's about McNair.

I guess that I don't understand the recruiting process. These kids see the coaching style when they visit, right? It's not like they didn't know what they were signing up for, is it?

To clarify, that was a decommit from last year; not one as a result of this situation. I was just adding insult to injury for Durkin in stormingnorm's list...

Reactions: stormingnorm

I get what your saying but how could they get rid of the entire staff 3 weeks before the season starts?

I doubt that would happen, too much money involved, there are several relatively new guys on the staff that could take over and get them through the season.

Yea Matt Canada is fairly new but I would like to know where he was during this whole thing.

Think about this. At one time or another Maryland had Bill OBrien Mike Gundy and James Franklin on staff as assistants coaches.
Any of them would have been outstanding successors when Fridge hung it up (meaning - pushed out). Instead they went with the grab bag approach and came up with back-to-back slappies.

They wouldn't recognize talent if they stepped over it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT