ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2024 OL Deryc Plazz has decommitted from Penn State

So did he OV somewhere since? Lol
He won't be the last PSU 2024 verbal commitment to decommit, and, when all is said and done, PSU probably will receive commitments from several kids who previously had committed to other schools; you just have to accept that that's the way this game is played these days, and anticipate that there definitely will be a certain number of decommits.

I just don't understand why kids who obviously are uncertain and conflicted would announce a commitment so early in the process. Anyway, I have to believe that the coaches have a pretty good feeling as to which kids are weak verbals and plan for that contingency.

No specific info, but an early commit by PSU in SEC country -- often subject to change.
Yes, that echoes my above post. If I were a PSU coach and received an early verbal from a kid in Florida, I immediately would take that verbal with a very large grain of salt and put a red flag by that and plan to fill that position with another kid, unless that kid had a strong connection to PSU.

I just don't understand why kids who obviously are uncertain and conflicted would announce a commitment so early in the process.
Did you ever make an impulse purchase, and then a day or two later ask yourself “What in the hell was I thinking”? It happens, plus the coaches (as they should) show these kids the time of their lives and rev them up. Maybe he had poor sales resistance. Obviously the staff thought he was worthwhile or they wouldn’t have accepted his commitment, sh$t happens. But you’re right there will be others both coming and going.

These kids need much better advice from parents and HS coaches. He had a great weekend in SC, got over excited without thinking things out and at least going home and sleeping on it. Also wondering if the SEC bagmen got involved. Whatever, we're still in in a couple highly rated OL prospects.

Did you when Micah Parsons first committed to O$U? ;) I try not to get too high or low but this crap gives me angina anyway. I wish him well. Maybe this keeps the door open for Satterwhite, if he is still open to PSU.
No.

I'm not getting excited either way on this one. You never know if he makes it back into the class or if we replace him with someone we may like better.

I prefer that the young man speak up now if he is uncertain about his collegiate choice versus doing so much later in the process.

The sentiments expressed by Deryc in his message to Penn State were both sincere and humble.
I wish him well!
They’re always sincere and humble, but bullcorn all the same."

I don't put too much stock in verbals anymore but why is it always the Florida kids. It seems like we can never hang onto them.

Did you ever make an impulse purchase, and then a day or two later ask yourself “What in the hell was I thinking”? It happens, plus the coaches (as they should) show these kids the time of their lives and rev them up. Maybe he had poor sales resistance. Obviously the staff thought he was worthwhile or they wouldn’t have accepted his commitment, sh$t happens. But you’re right there will be others both coming and going.
OH Thomas,
you are soooo..old school
integrity, loyalty, commitment
God will not be able to help us in our next world skirmish.

Did you when Micah Parsons first committed to O$U? ;) I try not to get too high or low but this crap gives me angina anyway. I wish him well. Maybe this keeps the door open for Satterwhite, if he is still open to PSU.
I don’t remember Parsons ever committing to OSU

Reactions: MacNit07
Yes, that echoes my above post. If I were a PSU coach and received an early verbal from a kid in Florida, I immediately would take that verbal with a very large grain of salt and put a red flag by that and plan to fill that position with another kid, unless that kid had a strong connection to PSU.
We got Wingoed : )

Words have totally different meanings in today's world. Would we expect commitment to mean anything resembling what is recorded in Websters dictionary?
Your post about "words" and Florida decommits made me think about QB Marcus Stokes. I had lost track of him, but it appears he ended up at a D ll school in Pensacola.

Dude went from PSU to the eqivalent of West Chester...would things have played out the same had he kept his "word" to us?

We'll never know...

No idea what happened here but I thought Allar's interview was interesting when he discussed recruiting. Apparently, he told CJF he wanted to "silent verbal" as he informed others of his decision. CJF said something like "don't commit if you are uncomfortable, uncertain, or aren't otherwise 100% committed because that isn't fair to your or to the PSU program." Allar committed.

I have to believe CJF gives that to all commitments, especially out-of-state kids that would seem to be a higher risk (not a lifelong PSU fan or follower). Who knows what happened here that made this go south. My guess is that there were expectations between the player and PSU that came out shortly after the kid committed. Maybe he wanted to take some official visits and PSU said we won't reserve a spot for him if he does that.

Chester...would things have played out the same had he kept his "word" to us?

Probably ends up listed as PSU recruiting a bad apple.

My guess is that there were expectations between the player and PSU that came out shortly after the kid committed.

Going to agree with you here. No new offer listed. No mention of visiting somewhere else. The EE part usually lends to kids knowing what they are going to do. I think the kid got too excited and spoke to the graphic design people more than anyone else.

Flawed logic considering numerous psu players have taken visits after committing.
maybe. but there was a disconnect between the staff and him relative to expectations. maybe he took a visit without letting the staff know ahead of time. who knows the deets? Nobody but them.

maybe. but there was a disconnect between the staff and him relative to expectations. maybe he took a visit without letting the staff know ahead of time. who knows the deets? Nobody but them.

Maybe + maybe + Nobody knows but them = Everyone on here knows. ?????

Seriously....have we ever had a player from Florida who stuck around and made an impact? Seems we get the leftovers who aren't that good. If they are late bloomers in high school they decommit and stay south. Not sure why time and resources are wasted in Florida.

Seriously....have we ever had a player from Florida who stuck around and made an impact? Seems we get the leftovers who aren't that good. If they are late bloomers in high school they decommit and stay south. Not sure why time and resources are wasted in Florida.
Michael Timpson and David Daniels were solid WRs....but they are my age and that was decades ago!

IMG Academy is a little different story, since they are attracting players from other states for a stint in prep school against good competition. Kaytron Allen and Drew Shelton (for one year) went to IMG. So I think the coaches will continue to look hard at IMG and maybe some others in FL.

I'd be quite happy to see a kid from Lake Nona, FL emerge as a star -- D-Lineman Zane Durant.

Penn State QB commit Ethan Grunkemeyer in Elite 11 Finals​

USATSI_20453955.jpg

Brad Wakai

June 12, 2023 8:00 pm ET

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
No idea what happened here but I thought Allar's interview was interesting when he discussed recruiting. Apparently, he told CJF he wanted to "silent verbal" as he informed others of his decision. CJF said something like "don't commit if you are uncomfortable, uncertain, or aren't otherwise 100% committed because that isn't fair to your or to the PSU program." Allar committed.

I have to believe CJF gives that to all commitments, especially out-of-state kids that would seem to be a higher risk (not a lifelong PSU fan or follower). Who knows what happened here that made this go south. My guess is that there were expectations between the player and PSU that came out shortly after the kid committed. Maybe he wanted to take some official visits and PSU said we won't reserve a spot for him if he does that.
Franklin has been pretty public about this approach. He tells kids he'd rather they wait to commit until they are certain, instead of committing early and changing their minds. He said he basically encourages them not to commit which sounds a little strange. Of course 18 year olds still do change their minds, but Franklin tries his best.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT