ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 PSU Lineup (The Dynasty Continues)

Besides, it's OK for other schools to have good wrestlers. National champs even.

We should feel secure enough to not be so greedy.
Not only OK, it's good to keep a broader fan base interested/entertained. I love the Little Rock story. I hope they keep all their guys. I'd be against poaching anyone from them. Would love more Little Rock stories. Similar thoughts on wrestler like Keckeison. If they come to Cael then obviously it's different, but the team/program is stacked. It's OK to have competition.

Returning Points for next year below.

TL;DR version: 2025 will be another fun year.

Caveats:
- Assumes Beau and Kerk both return, Carter does not.
- Some guys may or may not choose to extend via their Covid years. (I have an Excel filter set up to capture any such future changes.)
- Assumes no weight changes. Will adjust if any affect lineups.
- Have not yet incorporated 2023 points for guys who shirted or were injured this year. Example: Alirez will push Northern Colorado into the top 20.

I'll update with the 2023 points for shirts and injured guys, and when significant transfers occur.

Also, will likely exclude Sasso's 2023 points because I don't expect him to return, nor at a national finalist level if he somehow does.

#TeamPts
1​
Penn State
133.0​
2​
Ohio State
62.0​
3​
Nebraska
53.0​
4​
Arizona State
47.5​
T5​
Iowa
41.5​
T5​
Virginia Tech
41.5​
7​
Northern Iowa
39.5​
8​
Iowa State
37.0​
9​
Lehigh
36.5​
10​
Missouri
35.0​
11​
Stanford
34.0​
12​
West Virginia
31.5​
13​
Cornell
31.0​
14​
Oklahoma State
28.5​
15​
NC State
25.5​
16​
Little Rock
24.0​
17​
South Dakota State
22.5​
18​
Oregon State
20.0​
T19​
Michigan
17.5​
T19​
Minnesota
17.5​
The Sasso situation is just a shame. I agree though if he wrestles at all it will be an amazing accomplishment. To be at an elite level after what he's gone through and going through would be amazing. Like Peyton Robb I hope he comes back strong.

I think we go get Parker Kecieisen and put him up at 97 so Mirasola can shirt.
Why do we need Keckeisen for Mirasola to redshirt? Cochran is a perfectly fine 197 for a year. Given his results this year, I think he'd be in the mix for an AA spot at nationals. Is that really going to cost PSU the title next year? LMAO. We just won by a hundred f-ing points.

Keckeisen isn't coming to PSU and he isn't going up to 197, either.

The Sasso situation is just a shame. I agree though if he wrestles at all it will be an amazing accomplishment. To be at an elite level after what he's gone through and going through would be amazing. Like Peyton Robb I hope he comes back strong.
I hope I'm wrong about him returning, if that's what he wants. Though time is not his friend for his remaining folk eligibility even though he's a slam dunk 2024 medical shirt.

Seems weird considering he was going to redshirt this year. Didn’t seem like an issue then or have things changed on his end since he got in the lineup?
He took 3rd at nationals and showed he's right there. He may not want a punt year.

I hope I'm wrong about him returning, if that's what he wants. Though time is not his friend for his remaining folk eligibility even though he's a slam dunk 2024 medical shirt.
Is 24-25 his last year to wrestle? It would be year 7 since he started.

Sasso plans on returning next year based on what he has said online. Obviously what his body decides may be different unfortunately

IMO Feldman is the favorite once Kerk is done. Schultz is the only other non-SR who looks like a title contender, and Feldman just handled him. (Plus Schultz will be a SR next year.)

But Kerk is better in all 3 positions, bigger, quicker, stronger, still improving, and Feldman is at the wrong school to figure out how to get out from under Kerk.
Exactly. Kerk dwarfs Feldman. Feldman can get stronger I guess, but he’s not growing taller or getting longer limbs. Kerk is bigger and just as fast or faster - a bad combo for opponents.
I agree with these overall points, but would not say that Kerk is quicker or faster than Feldman, who is really quick for a 285 and I'd wager can out-scramble any other heavy out there. Feldman is still an underdog versus Kerk, but it's not due to a quickness/speed deficit.

I've said it before, but count me among those that truly prefers NOT pursuing a bunch of transfers. I know that everyone else is doing it and some are doing it a LOT, but I prefer going with those who committed to PSU in high school and I'm also OK with having a "gap" or two for a year in your lineup. It's how it's always been even for the better teams; it's not always possible to manage a lineup perfectly and have one stud wrestle after the last one graduates. I do think guys like Mesenbrink are an exception. He was a redshirt freshman with 3 college matches under his belt who realized that he had likely made a mistake and I THINK that he pursued PSU and not vice versa. Fortunately for PSU, the handful of transfers that we've had were quality kids who seemed to buy into the PSU philosophy, but I'm still not a huge fan and really wish the NCAA would get the transfer portal and NIL under control to some degree.

Is 24-25 his last year to wrestle? It would be year 7 since he started.
He has already shirted and competed in 4 years, so 2024 would've been his bonus Covid year.

He's a slam dunk for a medical shirt to let him compete in 2025. Maybe the NCAA will grant a 2nd medical shirt if he's still not ready to go? They're unpredictable. But it won't be a bottomless pool.

I hope he does make it. Even if he only goes 1-2 at nationals, he'll get a hero's welcome and leave to a standing ovation, deservedly so.

Agree. Despite a few bad breaks almost everything went perfect. It's an avalanche of points. Bartlet with a couple of pins, Kasak 3rd...It was a dominant performance who's point total and differential I believe will last for a long time.
Davis got us the least points but 125 was always a crapshoot. Davis went 2 and 2 but he wrestled the champ Figiuroa really tough. He did much better than Ayala against him. I like his future.

125-Lilledahl
133-Nagao (Davis redshirts)
141-Bartlett
149-SVN (Kasak redshirts)
157-Mesenbrink
165-Levi
174-Facundo or Ryder
184-Barr
197-Mirasola
Heavyweight-Kerk

I think Mirasola is going to be too good to redshirt. He beat max Dean this year for god sake! With all the top recruits coming in he falls under the radar a bit but he’s going to win multiple titles. Mark my words

Lilledahl steps in and has a real shot at winning it all as a true freshman. He’s that good. Davis redshirts and focuses on putting on good weight so he can take over 133.

Bartlett is definitely coming back and is going to go out on top.

I think people are forgetting how good SVN is. He beat this years national champ Henson last year and was looking like an absolute killer before he got hurt. Kasak is great as well but my $ is on SVN beating him. Kasak has a redshirt so he should use it and continue getting bigger and stronger. He can slot in at 157 the following year.

Mesenbrinks future is 74kg in freestyle but this coming year team wise it makes sense to go 157 if he can do it comfortably which from people like Askren it sounds like he can do. Mitch won’t lose again and will finish his college career with only 1 loss!

Levi goes up and quite possible he goes to 174 the next year. I think that he won’t lose again and will finish his career with 2 losses!

I feel like Facundo will be much improved. Training with Dake, Levi, Mesenbrink, etc will force you to improve. Ryder looks like a future multiple time champ though so he might just be good enough to force his way into the lineup. We will have to wait and see.

Barr needed a redshirt and seems to have really benefited from it. He looked great in the matches he got and then hearing the things his teammates say about him have me really excited about his prospects for the next year.

Kerk comes back for his second title and possible Hodge. He is one scary dude on the mat. No one will be close to him next year.
2 Things mitch has to work on, protecting his legs better ,way to many easy take downs and getting of bottom more efficiently. Maybe cut his pace to protect his legs.

I agree, BUT, we should get a 1 year rental at 197 that is a lock to score points at NCAAs. We are set in the middle.
You don’t think Cochran can score points at nationals? He beat an AA HWT giving up 40lbs. He’s no Brooks obviously, but he absolutely would score at nationals and even be in the mix for AA. I’d love to see a room guy like that get a chance.

Our “I don’t know” usually ends up becoming a “yes” Kerk and Carter’s immediate focus is the Olympic trials so makes sense they aren’t thinking about anything next year. That being said, you want the motivation to really be there, HEW symptoms might be more debilitating than injury and illness. We saw what a lack of energy does to some kids in wrestlebacks also. (Lovett comes to mind, not taking away Tyler can absolutely beat him but I don’t think he’s a major decision better suddenly)

Reactions: bmw199
Hey jar head. Did someone pi$$ in your cheerios this morning?? Heard you got 26" of the white stuff over your way. We got 21 here. Pretty much put the kibosh to maple syrup Sunday. I had maybe 20 people show up. How about you??

And yes, we definitely don't need to cherry pick other teams' wrestlers. We'll leave that to the fledgling teams.

The NCAA has to modify the portal process and rules IMHO. Or it is going to irreparably damage college sports. Regardless of the sport, if 5-10 teams can poach the best players from the other 75-200 teams every season, a lot of fan interest will wane.

I'm not in favor of completely going back to the old process of losing eligibility but there needs to be some penalty for athletes who commit to a university, get paid (in various forms), and then exit stage left.

If wrestling wasn't so small it would be great if they would name and shame the tampering individuals..

I've said it before, but count me among those that truly prefers NOT pursuing a bunch of transfers. I know that everyone else is doing it and some are doing it a LOT, but I prefer going with those who committed to PSU in high school and I'm also OK with having a "gap" or two for a year in your lineup. It's how it's always been even for the better teams; it's not always possible to manage a lineup perfectly and have one stud wrestle after the last one graduates. I do think guys like Mesenbrink are an exception. He was a redshirt freshman with 3 college matches under his belt who realized that he had likely made a mistake and I THINK that he pursued PSU and not vice versa. Fortunately for PSU, the handful of transfers that we've had were quality kids who seemed to buy into the PSU philosophy, but I'm still not a huge fan and really wish the NCAA would get the transfer portal and NIL under control to some degree.
Fully agree with you. My understanding is that most, if not all, of our transfers in contacted PSU first and not the other way around.

Cael has stated in an interview that he checks the portal everyday. It's his job to do so.

My take is... if a kid enters the portal, he wants to leave the school he is at. If I (as a coach) want him on my team, I contact him to guage interest.

Cael has stated in an interview that he checks the portal everyday. It's his job to do so.

My take is... if a kid enters the portal, he wants to leave the school he is at. If I (as a coach) want him on my team, I contact him to guage interest.
Could use a point getter at nationals at 133 and 197. 197 would be a one year rental,133 who knows the future.

Could use a point getter at nationals at 133 and 197. 197 would be a one year rental,133 who knows the future.
Nagao got points at nationals, and was an AA the year before. That's not a point getter? Lilledahl is coming in next year, so even if you've completely written off Nagao after one slightly down year for some reason, Lilledahl and Davis can cover 125/133 for next year. Then Desmond is coming in the following year if you still aren't happy with that lineup. Howard is still around, too, if he's healthy (I don't think there was mention of how he's doing all season), and Cael Nasdeo with a year of NLWC greyshirt training as well.

Hey jar head. Did someone pi$$ in your cheerios this morning?? Heard you got 26" of the white stuff over your way. We got 21 here. Pretty much put the kibosh to maple syrup Sunday. I had maybe 20 people show up. How about you??

And yes, we definitely don't need to cherry pick other teams' wrestlers. We'll leave that to the fledgling teams.
My post was deleted with a note stating "put the user on ignore if you dont like what they post". Apparently its against the rules to have a differing opinion on here.

Yeah we had a bit over 2' I'd say. Vienna had 3'. We had a few people swing by and visit. Had some sales but nothing substantial. Sure glad you talked me into the RO pump. Speeds up the process for sure. Dont forget, next Tuesday at Arbys. Sounds like we're losing another brother to the orange crush. O.W. isnt doing well at all.

Reactions: ikS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT