ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 PSU Lineup (The Dynasty Continues)

Don’t see much mention of Zack Ryder on here. Spent his sr year at M2, ala Levi. I believe Flo had him #1 or certainly top 5 PFP. I believe he wrestled at Messiah and Edinboro(?) opens and did well. After basically training for a whole year, I can’t imagine he is thinking red shirt???
Talk about embarrassment of riches!

I think Van Ness ,Kasak is going to be be a situation that is going to be a issue for Cael. From what I've heard Kasak does not want to redshirt. I don't think SVN will beat Kasak. Kasak is going to be to big and strong for him .
And why would he? Isnt that the idea of blueshirting?
Worked out fine for Mr Haines.

Reactions: Callthestall
Seems weird considering he was going to redshirt this year. Didn’t seem like an issue then or have things changed on his end since he got in the lineup?
I bet Cael would have had a long hard look and Tyler would have used every one of his 5 comp dates before that decision would have been made.

Reactions: hlstone
Don’t see much mention of Zack Ryder on here. Spent his sr year at M2, ala Levi. I believe Flo had him #1 or certainly top 5 PFP. I believe he wrestled at Messiah and Edinboro(?) opens and did well. After basically training for a whole year, I can’t imagine he is thinking red shirt???
Like Levi and Kasak before so the path is there.

Since Carter doesn't like school, he can come back just for the spring semester.
That’s my thought. Come back January and enroll in the minimum classes. 8 weeks later you win #5 which never will be surpassed. Drop all classes the Monday after you win. I thin bball one and done is similar.

Only things left for the team in the short term:
Carter #5
10 AAs in a season
6 NCs in a year

Longer term
Passing Iowa in NCs
Passing OSU in NCs

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Ryder won Edinboro.

Reminder that Beau can still take a redshirt too.

They’ll figure it out.
I really doubt Beau is going to take a redshirt. If he gets beaten out of his spot (i.e. by Kasak if SVN beats Kasak for 149), I think he’s probably done and moves over to NLWC for freestyle.

Reactions: hlstone
125-Lilledahl
133-Nagao (Davis redshirts)
141-Bartlett
149-SVN (Kasak redshirts)
157-Mesenbrink
165-Levi
174-Facundo or Ryder
184-Barr
197-Mirasola
Heavyweight-Kerk

I think Mirasola is going to be too good to redshirt. He beat max Dean this year for god sake! With all the top recruits coming in he falls under the radar a bit but he’s going to win multiple titles. Mark my words

Lilledahl steps in and has a real shot at winning it all as a true freshman. He’s that good. Davis redshirts and focuses on putting on good weight so he can take over 133.

Bartlett is definitely coming back and is going to go out on top.

I think people are forgetting how good SVN is. He beat this years national champ Henson last year and was looking like an absolute killer before he got hurt. Kasak is great as well but my $ is on SVN beating him. Kasak has a redshirt so he should use it and continue getting bigger and stronger. He can slot in at 157 the following year.

Mesenbrinks future is 74kg in freestyle but this coming year team wise it makes sense to go 157 if he can do it comfortably which from people like Askren it sounds like he can do. Mitch won’t lose again and will finish his college career with only 1 loss!

Levi goes up and quite possible he goes to 174 the next year. I think that he won’t lose again and will finish his career with 2 losses!

I feel like Facundo will be much improved. Training with Dake, Levi, Mesenbrink, etc will force you to improve. Ryder looks like a future multiple time champ though so he might just be good enough to force his way into the lineup. We will have to wait and see.

Barr needed a redshirt and seems to have really benefited from it. He looked great in the matches he got and then hearing the things his teammates say about him have me really excited about his prospects for the next year.

Kerk comes back for his second title and possible Hodge. He is one scary dude on the mat. No one will be close to him next year.

Great! I guess we can pencil-in Michael Beard at 197 next year then. He's still on the bench waiting to be plugged, right?!

Listen, jabroni, don't ever hit me with a 5X emoji when your proposal is no more likely. There is zero incentive for Messenbrink to go down. His FS aspirations are at 74KG and it's not likely that Levi could beat him for the spot. Or do you think Cael is going to hand it to him? Levi has the frame to move up to 174 should he ever decide. Certainly more compatible at 174 than Hayden Hidlay ever was. Most never saw Brooks or Nickal eventually moving up to 197 either. But hey, Haines can suck down all 4 years if he thinks that's his best route to being a 3-timer.
Welcome back. Put the jabroni on ignore.

Feldman was within 1 point of him, very recently.
I know. I still think Kerk is MUCH better than him. Feldman is too small. Kerk has those matches every once in awhile and Feldmans game plan was good. He’s going to have to figure out how to get out from underneath Kerk if he ever wants to beat him though and that is a huge problem

I think Mirasola is going to be too good to redshirt. He beat max Dean this year for god sake! With all the top recruits coming in he falls under the radar a bit but he’s going to win multiple titles. Mark my words
Connor will win multiple titles, and might be "too good to sit" out of the gate.

Cole is definitely shirting if Kerk returns (as I also expect), and probably could use the shirt regardless. So does Connor want to shirt next year as well, so the twins compete the same years throughout their careers?

Maybe, or maybe he doesn't care because they both end up at NLWC later. Hard to say. But brothers being able to compete together is something special for them, and we probably shouldn't ignore it as a factor.

Great! I guess we can pencil-in Michael Beard at 197 next year then. He's still on the bench waiting to be plugged, right?!

Listen, jabroni, don't ever hit me with a 5X emoji when your proposal is no more likely. There is zero incentive for Messenbrink to go down. His FS aspirations are at 74KG and it's not likely that Levi could beat him for the spot. Or do you think Cael is going to hand it to him? Levi has the frame to move up to 174 should he ever decide. Certainly more compatible at 174 than Hayden Hidlay ever was. Most never saw Brooks or Nickal eventually moving up to 197 either. But hey, Haines can suck down all 4 years if he thinks that's his best route to being a 3-timer.
Glad to see you took the mild and meager approach to assimilating back into the community.... lol

• Haha
Reactions: SlipperyPete12
I know. I still think Kerk is MUCH better than him. Feldman is too small. Kerk has those matches every once in awhile and Feldmans game plan was good. He’s going to have to figure out how to get out from underneath Kerk if he ever wants to beat him though and that is a huge problem
IMO Feldman is the favorite once Kerk is done. Schultz is the only other non-SR who looks like a title contender, and Feldman just handled him. (Plus Schultz will be a SR next year.)

But Kerk is better in all 3 positions, bigger, quicker, stronger, still improving, and Feldman is at the wrong school to figure out how to get out from under Kerk.

125-Lilledahl
133-Nagao (Davis redshirts)
141-Bartlett
149-SVN (Kasak redshirts)
157-Mesenbrink
165-Levi
174-Facundo or Ryder
184-Barr
197-Mirasola
Heavyweight-Kerk

Lilledahl steps in and has a real shot at winning it all as a true freshman. He’s that good. Davis redshirts and focuses on putting on good weight so he can take over 133.

Bartlett is definitely coming back and is going to go out on top.

I think people are forgetting how good SVN is. He beat this years national champ Henson last year and was looking like an absolute killer before he got hurt. Kasak is great as well but my $ is on SVN beating him. Kasak has a redshirt so he should use it and continue getting bigger and stronger. He can slot in at 157 the following year.

Mesenbrinks future is 74kg in freestyle but this coming year team wise it makes sense to go 157 if he can do it comfortably which from people like Askren it sounds like he can do. Mitch won’t lose again and will finish his college career with only 1 loss!

Levi goes up and quite possible he goes to 174 the next year. I think that he won’t lose again and will finish his career with 2 losses!

I feel like Facundo will be much improved. Training with Dake, Levi, Mesenbrink, etc will force you to improve. Ryder looks like a future multiple time champ though so he might just be good enough to force his way into the lineup. We will have to wait and see.

Barr needed a redshirt and seems to have really benefited from it. He looked great in the matches he got and then hearing the things his teammates say about him have me really excited about his prospects for the next year.

Kerk comes back for his second title and possible Hodge. He is one scary dude on the mat. No one will be close to him next year.
I would respectfully say Feldman improved enough that he is/will be close and that cat is not "too small."

Reactions: drock1971
That’s my thought. Come back January and enroll in the minimum classes. 8 weeks later you win #5 which never will be surpassed. Drop all classes the Monday after you win. I thin bball one and done is similar.

Only things left for the team in the short term:
Carter #5
10 AAs in a season
6 NCs in a year

Longer term
Passing Iowa in NCs
Passing OSU in NCs
Remember, Iowa is so mentally defeated that they will be claiming victory if it takes 22 years for our 15th.

Spoiler Alert: It won't. Right now you DO NOT count COVID season, so it's 11 in 13 at the moment. 4 in 7 is definitely on the table.

Beau needs to get more aggressive period and he will be a champion
That's what hurt about his loss last night is he was more aggressive, couldn't finish, and it cost him. But yeah process speaking, it is true. I think that's just his identity and he'll have another very good chance.

Beau needs to get more aggressive period and he will be a champion
No way in hell Mendez stays at 41 next year. He's moving up according to all sources. He might even go up to 57. His size was the main factor against Beau. In fact, both Beau and Mitchell were dwarfed size wise in their finals.

Mitchell is going down to 57. Book it.

Reactions: vhsalum
That's what hurt about his loss last night is he was more aggressive, couldn't finish, and it cost him. But yeah process speaking, it is true. I think that's just his identity and he'll have another very good chance.
Mendez size is what killed him. He lost the first scramble because of it then got countered because he couldn't get that giant on the mat. Size has played a major factor in 3 of our finals losses, last year it was O'Connor

Reactions: Wilco43
Here's our punt lineup

125 Davis (Luke shirt)
133 Nagao
141 Evans
149 Van Ness
157 Kasak
165 Mesenbrink
174 Facundo
184 Barr
197 Cochran
285 Mirasola

Edit: Our punt lineup could finish top 4

No way in hell Mendez stays at 41 next year. He's moving up according to all sources. He might even go up to 57. His size was the main factor against Beau. In fact, both Beau and Mitchell were dwarfed size wise in their finals.

Mitchell is going down to 57. Book it.
Mendez was a 133 last season and you think he is going up to 157 next year?

Reactions: donboy6499
Mendez was a 133 last season and you think he is going up to 157 next year?
149. The cut for him was enormous. He's moving up. And yeah, plenty of kids keep growing. Bernie started at 149. Both Dake and DT moved up multiple times. Lots of others have gone up two times or more

Seriously amazing accomplishment tonight but if a certain 4x champ comes back I could easily see next year's team beating this record.

LL should outscore Davis' output
Davis/Nagao should score more
Bartlett should at least equal this season
SVN/Kasak should score more
Haines should at least equal this season
MM should score more
Carter should score more if he has access to both legs
Barr should be able to match Truax
Mirasola will score less but will score
Kerkvleit should at least equal this season

That's three weights were they improve and only one where they take a hit. There is no doubt this is the most dominant team in sports.
My victory cigar wasn’t even finished , and we started talking about next year….love it!

Reactions: RB-Old
I would respectfully say Feldman improved enough that he is/will be close and that cat is not "too small."
He is too small in regards to Kerk. He’s giving up 25 pounds and it’s probably mostly muscle. Smaller heavyweights (Cassar) can obviously succeed but Kerk is not only much bigger but he’s faster, quicker, stronger as well. Size doesn’t matter as much from neutral but Kerks best position might be top and his size absolutely matters there. Ohio State isn’t good on bottom. We all know this. Feldman is going to have trouble beating Greg if he can’t get out from underneath him consistently and I haven’t seen anything that makes me think he’s going to be able to. Close matches going forward? Maybe/likely but I think it’s more like 5-7 point wins for Kerk

Reactions: PSUbluTX
If Bartlett is back, as he likely will be, the spot is his at 141 and there will be no challenge for it regardless what weight Kasak goes.

Beyond the fact that Kasak is much better off at 49, it would be a horrific look for the program to bring Bartlett back, as someone who has done anything and everything for the program including coming seconds away from a national title, and not give him a starting spot.

We can talk about open competition and what Cael says all we want. But it’s Beau’s spot if he wants it.

Returning Points for next year below.

TL;DR version: 2025 will be another fun year.

Caveats:
- Assumes Beau and Kerk both return, Carter does not.
- Some guys may or may not choose to extend via their Covid years. (I have an Excel filter set up to capture any such future changes.)
- Assumes no weight changes. Will adjust if any affect lineups.
- Have not yet incorporated 2023 points for guys who shirted or were injured this year. Example: Alirez will push Northern Colorado into the top 20.

I'll update with the 2023 points for shirts and injured guys, and when significant transfers occur.

Also, will likely exclude Sasso's 2023 points because I don't expect him to return, nor at a national finalist level if he somehow does.

#TeamPts
1​
Penn State
133.0​
2​
Ohio State
62.0​
3​
Nebraska
53.0​
4​
Arizona State
47.5​
T5​
Iowa
41.5​
T5​
Virginia Tech
41.5​
7​
Northern Iowa
39.5​
8​
Iowa State
37.0​
9​
Lehigh
36.5​
10​
Missouri
35.0​
11​
Stanford
34.0​
12​
West Virginia
31.5​
13​
Cornell
31.0​
14​
Oklahoma State
28.5​
15​
NC State
25.5​
16​
Little Rock
24.0​
17​
South Dakota State
22.5​
18​
Oregon State
20.0​
T19​
Michigan
17.5​
T19​
Minnesota
17.5​

Returning Points for next year below.

TL;DR version: 2025 will be another fun year.

Caveats:
- Assumes Beau and Kerk both return, Carter does not.
- Some guys may or may not choose to extend via their Covid years. (I have an Excel filter set up to capture any such future changes.)
- Assumes no weight changes. Will adjust if any affect lineups.
- Have not yet incorporated 2023 points for guys who shirted or were injured this year. Example: Alirez will push Northern Colorado into the top 20.

I'll update with the 2023 points for shirts and injured guys, and when significant transfers occur.

Also, will likely exclude Sasso's 2023 points because I don't expect him to return, nor at a national finalist level if he somehow does.

#TeamPts
1​
Penn State
133.0​
2​
Ohio State
62.0​
3​
Nebraska
53.0​
4​
Arizona State
47.5​
T5​
Iowa
41.5​
T5​
Virginia Tech
41.5​
7​
Northern Iowa
39.5​
8​
Iowa State
37.0​
9​
Lehigh
36.5​
10​
Missouri
35.0​
11​
Stanford
34.0​
12​
West Virginia
31.5​
13​
Cornell
31.0​
14​
Oklahoma State
28.5​
15​
NC State
25.5​
16​
Little Rock
24.0​
17​
South Dakota State
22.5​
18​
Oregon State
20.0​
T19​
Michigan
17.5​
T19​
Minnesota
17.5​
Needs to be pinned and updated like our recruiting spreadsheet. With each wrestler that is included by team viewable Very cool. 71 point advantage though? I’m expecting 3 figures every year now. 25 more from a healthy Starocci helps but certainly messes lineups up with those in waiting

He is too small in regards to Kerk. He’s giving up 25 pounds and it’s probably mostly muscle. Smaller heavyweights (Cassar) can obviously succeed but Kerk is not only much bigger but he’s faster, quicker, stronger as well. Size doesn’t matter as much from neutral but Kerks best position might be top and his size absolutely matters there. Ohio State isn’t good on bottom. We all know this. Feldman is going to have trouble beating Greg if he can’t get out from underneath him consistently and I haven’t seen anything that makes me think he’s going to be able to. Close matches going forward? Maybe/likely but I think it’s more like 5-7 point wins for Kerk
Exactly. Kerk dwarfs Feldman. Feldman can get stronger I guess, but he’s not growing taller or getting longer limbs. Kerk is bigger and just as fast or faster - a bad combo for opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT