ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 PSU Lineup (The Dynasty Continues)

Nagao got points at nationals, and was an AA the year before. That's not a point getter? Lilledahl is coming in next year, so even if you've completely written off Nagao after one slightly down year for some reason, Lilledahl and Davis can cover 125/133 for next year. Then Desmond is coming in the following year if you still aren't happy with that lineup. Howard is still around, too, if he's healthy (I don't think there was mention of how he's doing all season), and Cael Nasdeo with a year of NLWC greyshirt training as well.
I like davis at 133 , not seeing it with Nagao 3 pts at nationals ,um like Bailey if he can hold 133 looks hammerish with better coaching long strong and quick.

OK, it won't ever happen but how great would it be for Beard to come back for one year at 197? Allow Mirasola to redshirt and get his National Championship.
I thought about that when Dean was in his last year, but before we were sure Brooks was going up, but didn't realize MB still had another year next year. Interesting. He looked fantastic this year all the way up until the point he didn't late at nationals. A bit odd to be honest,

Cochran won’t be competing for AA at 197 next year. He will be competing for top of podium.
Because he beat Slavikouski?

He faced 3 other NQs this year and went 1-2 against them: lost 20-6 to Beard, lost 13-6 to Cardenas, beat 31-seed Kinsey 17-3.

Last year he went 2-2 vs. guys who ever qualified for nationals: beat Hopkins 10-5, lost to Mitchell 5-2, lost to Koser 12-0, pinned Crawford. None have ever placed.

Perhaps Cochran can make the 197 podium, but his body of work suggests he isn't a lock for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches bring in someone to compete for the position, and I'm perfectly happy if they don't or he wins the job. We'll be OK either way.

He faced 3 other NQs this year and went 1-2 against them: lost 20-6 to Beard, lost 13-6 to Cardenas, beat 31-seed Kinsey 17-3.

Last year he went 2-2 vs. guys who ever qualified for nationals: beat Hopkins 10-5, lost to Mitchell 5-2, lost to Koser 12-0, pinned Crawford. None have ever placed.

Perhaps Cochran can make the 197 podium, but his body of work suggests he isn't a lock for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches bring in someone to compete for the position, and I'm perfectly happy if they don't or he wins the job. We'll be OK either way.
Is there some kid at like Cal Baptist that shoots 70 shots a match and shakes everyone's hand after he is done wrestling available anywhere this year for 197?

I thought about that when Dean was in his last year, but before we were sure Brooks was going up, but didn't realize MB still had another year next year. Interesting. He looked fantastic this year all the way up until the point he didn't late at nationals. A bit odd to be honest,
That’s pretty much the Michael Beard story - starts leaking oil late in matches and late in the season

It's kind of ridiculous that Penn State just broke the scoring record and they have 2 of the 3 best recruiting classes Cael has had at Penn State coming in the next two years.
Sorry to hijack a thread but are the Olympic trials being televised??

I like davis at 133 , not seeing it with Nagao 3 pts at nationals ,um like Bailey if he can hold 133 looks hammerish with better coaching long strong and quick.
Something tells me Cael doesn't think that way. He's a coach and wants to help guys improve. What's the fun in having ten guys who are favored to win it all lol

Reactions: diggerpup

NOT MANY ARE A LOCK!just do their best!

I think Cochran is interesting because you wonder what rolling with the guys that he rolls with has done to his potential. As you have said is results don't add up to him being an AA but you wonder if he is making jumps in the room.

Davis. Without a doubt. After Luke redshirts, it would be a total toss-up.
Lilledahl is already beating guys that Davis lost to like Volk. Davis has made massive jumps but Lilledahl is the number 1 overall recruit for a reason. Kid is special. I truly think he would have won NCAA’s this year and that’s without a season in the PSU room

absolutely , he just had an elite season and is probably thinking he is top gun in the weight class and why should he be asked to sit. I completely agree with this by the way, I can't imagine any wrestler really wants to redshirt if they are the best guy. they want to compete and that is what they have been doing there whole life. I personally won't be surprised if one portals , happy if there is room for both but I am of the mindset a lot more of our guys portal in the future due to the backlog. It is what it is
I seem to recall a few guys top dogs in their weight classes, including Zain Retherford, taking redshirts for their team.

Lilledahl is already beating guys that Davis lost to like Volk. Davis has made massive jumps but Lilledahl is the number 1 overall recruit for a reason. Kid is special. I truly think he would have won NCAA’s this year and that’s without a season in the PSU room
I know who has beaten who. You may think that you could have just substituted Lilledahl for Davis and he would have achieved a greater result, but you're not convincing me of that.
The NCAA tournament is tough, both physically and mentally. Davis could very easily have been the champ at that weight. If Davis wrestles Jore Volk 5 more times, he beats him at least 4/5.

I know who has beaten who. You may think that you could have just substituted Lilledahl for Davis and he would have achieved a greater result, but you're not convincing me of that.
The NCAA tournament is tough, both physically and mentally. Davis could very easily have been the champ at that weight. If Davis wrestles Jore Volk 5 more times, he beats him at least 4/5.
I guess we aren’t convincing each other and that’s fine. Lilledahl has been in physically and mentally tough tournaments before like worlds and it’s never gotten to him. I just see Lilledahl beating every top kid put in front him and once he gets in the room I expect him to make a similar jump to what Davis did. The difference is that he was better than Davis before he got in the room. With the room bump I expect him to be at a different level. If Davis is beating him it’s not a bad problem though. Just means we have a guy who should win it all

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT