ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2023 WR Carmelo Taylor commits to Penn State

After watching this, I'm a whole lot more stoked.

The kid is very fast from a track standpoint and quick from a football standpoint.

I don't understand the paucity of offers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bison13
After watching this, I'm a whole lot more stoked.

The kid is very fast from a track standpoint and quick from a football standpoint.

I don't understand the paucity of offers.
Yeah the schools we were competing against were not impressive. Hopefully we snagged someone who is under the radar.

He was down to South Carolina and PSU, I’d say that’s a pretty solid school to beat out.

Eh, they haven't gotten a top-300 WR in like 5 years. Beamer is a solid recruiter, but they haven't recruited WRs particularly well.

Doesn't mean Taylor isn't a good get. Probably a bit of a project in terms of WR skills -- he definitely has speed.

Eh, they haven't gotten a top-300 WR in like 5 years. Beamer is a solid recruiter, but they haven't recruited WRs particularly well.

Doesn't mean Taylor isn't a good get. Probably a bit of a project in terms of WR skills -- he definitely has speed.
You are right, but here is what makes him a good get:

1. Position of need in the 23 class.
2. Boatload of speed.
3. IN REGION GUY
4. Calms the sky is falling for now

A buddy of mine lives in Roanoke and has been excited about this young man for awhile. If we wanted him I'm glad we got him.

I too do not like the current state of recruiting, committing, decommitting, respecting people's decisions, accepting participation trophies for "discovering" or "being in early" on guys who eventually ditch us but hold us in high esteem.

It has totally lost the lustre. Then everyone needs to re-recruit both stars and bench guys who aren't pleased with lack of playing time so recruiting "classes" are irrelevant anyway.

Stoudt left Va Tech for a scholarship. Shame on them for not goving him one. The DE froTemple came to us to showcase his game at a higher level. Congrats to both as they will play on Sundays.

However we went apeshit when Silas Redd, Justin Brown and others left years ago. That self preservation/ vision is now the norm. We appear to be doing to Tulane with the Des Moines QB what the Florida kid who is now a Gator did to us ( Wingo says hi!).

I don't even harbor grudges any more... the curse of Quinn Nordin was my last. When he choked at Beaver Stadium it began his descent and opened the door for a teammate who didn't make a video on a private jet to earn the job and not give it up.

I'll root for whomever is on the field representing us, but am less interested in investing a lot of time in getting to know too much about them as it is likely many won't stick around.

A buddy of mine lives in Roanoke and has been excited about this young man for awhile. If we wanted him I'm glad we got him.

I too do not like the current state of recruiting, committing, decommitting, respecting people's decisions, accepting participation trophies for "discovering" or "being in early" on guys who eventually ditch us but hold us in high esteem.

It has totally lost the lustre. Then everyone needs to re-recruit both stars and bench guys who aren't pleased with lack of playing time so recruiting "classes" are irrelevant anyway.

Stoudt left Va Tech for a scholarship. Shame on them for not goving him one. The DE froTemple came to us to showcase his game at a higher level. Congrats to both as they will play on Sundays.

However we went apeshit when Silas Redd, Justin Brown and others left years ago. That self preservation/ vision is now the norm. We appear to be doing to Tulane with the Des Moines QB what the Florida kid who is now a Gator did to us ( Wingo says hi!).

I don't even harbor grudges any more... the curse of Quinn Nordin was my last. When he choked at Beaver Stadium it began his descent and opened the door for a teammate who didn't make a video on a private jet to earn the job and not give it up.

I'll root for whomever is on the field representing us, but am less interested in investing a lot of time in getting to know too much about them as it is likely many won't stick around.
This is a very fair and reasonable post.

Decent but it ain't one of the top programs. Hence the 3 stars, hope he is good for us.
I'll take a KJ Hamler type as often as we can find one. I still smile when I remember his plays running away from OSU's backfield of 4 stars with his extra gear until one put him out of the game with a near late hit...he pretty much nearly won that game by himself which is what these types can do for you.

And I will take at least one motivated 3-star over an entitled 4-star...I'll trade a Greg Garrity or Norwood for the underachieving position player who eventually still goes higher than them in the draft.

Last edited:

I agree with the change to the way things are and what our appropriate reaction should be. And it seems we've gained more than lost, other than maybe the Kentucky QB. It seems though Franklin doesn't dominate with quantity, he does seem to find players that fit in and play pretty well...and I assume this will continue as he seems to be a relationship type of guy, which unfortunately the young recruits don't always appreciate.

The one difference with Silas, etc was the intent of the governing bodies to pretty much destroy the program, which pails to recent events at Michigan State, and discoveries of legendary coaches at Michigan and Ohio State.

I'll take a KJ Hamler type as often as we can find one. I still smile when I remember his plays running away from OSU's backfield of 4 stars with his extra gear until one put him out of the game with a near late hit...he pretty much nearly won that game by himself which is what these types can do for you.

And I will take at least one motivated 3-star over an entitled 4-star...I'll trade a Greg Garrity or Norwood for the underachieving position player who eventually still goes higher than them in the draft.
Totally agree. Hopefully he is as productive as KJ Hamler. Speaking of Gregg Garrity he is one of my all time favorites for his diving TD catch in the Sugar Bowl!

We haven't landed a legit #1 receiver since Chris Godwin, and he was an O'Brien recruit. Beyond Godwin, we have bunches of #2 receivers, busts and whiffs since. This kid looks like another #2, best case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT