ADVERTISEMENT

2023 NCAA Wrestling National Championship Qualifiers By The Numbers

I had seen some of those statistics before. Seems like the gap in qualifiers between PA and the next best state is closer than in some years past. And I think some of us have been talking about how Illinois high school wrestling has been rising for years. You’d think Univ of Illinois should be capitalizing on that.

Last edited:
Conclusion of By the Numbers analysis:

PA WRESTLING RULES!!!!
Actually, relative to population

The next most requested topic after NQs by state is NQs by state per capita. Here we express that topic in the number of qualifiers per million inhabitants of the state as per the 2022 census estimates.

STATE NQ/1M
Iowa 5.0
Alaska 4.1
Pennsylvania 3.5
Oklahoma 3.2
West Virginia 2.8
Illinois 2.5
New Jersey 2.5
Minnesota 2.1
Missouri 1.9
Ohio 1.9

The next most requested topic after NQs by state is NQs by state per capita. Here we express that topic in the number of qualifiers per million inhabitants of the state as per the 2022 census estimates.

STATE NQ/1M
Iowa 5.0
Alaska 4.1
Pennsylvania 3.5
Oklahoma 3.2
West Virginia 2.8
Illinois 2.5
New Jersey 2.5
Minnesota 2.1
Missouri 1.9
Ohio 1.9
Hey it's not our fault people don't want to live in Iowa!

STATE NQ/1M
Iowa 5.0
Alaska 4.1
Pennsylvania 3.5
Oklahoma 3.2
West Virginia 2.8
Illinois 2.5
New Jersey 2.5
Minnesota 2.1
Missouri 1.9
Ohio 1.9
Time for TnT to add a chapter on Alaska to the 3-ring recruiting binder.
/s

I had seen some of those statistics before. Seems like the gap in qualifiers between PA and the next best state is closer than in some years past. And I think some of us have been talking about how Illinois high school wrestling has been rising for years. You’d think Univ of Illinois should be capitalizing on that.

Because Champaign, well, I'm trying to be polite.... Ewwww

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone

STATE NQ/1M
Iowa 5.0
Alaska 4.1
Pennsylvania 3.5
Oklahoma 3.2
West Virginia 2.8
Illinois 2.5
New Jersey 2.5
Minnesota 2.1
Missouri 1.9
Ohio 1.9
Alaska = Iowa or Iowa > Alaska