ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

So if Hayden or Sawchuk wanted in, Singleton still had a spot? ND is taking whatever they can get. Everybody is watching the RB dominoes fall. I don’t doubt at all he has interest in ND, but he was never priority number one for you.

Singleton has been PSU’s number one priority at RB for ‘22 for four years.
No they were taking 2----first 2 which jump in the boat were in.

But the kid obviously had a strong interest in ND going back to his early HS years. That's why he came out twice.

Why you would ever tell a recruit that he's your number 1 priority ? That stuff gets out.

It's a turn off to the other guys you're recruiting at that position and if you don't get him you risk the other guys feeling slighted.

With Bruce gone from the 2021 recruiting class, leaving only Tengwall, the 2020 OL recruits (Christ, Fashanu, Achumba, Traore, and Dawkins)seem to make up a very large part of what the OL roster will look like in 2022 and 2023. Franklin has known about Bruce a lot longer than the public, and it would seem that a 4 player 2022 OL class would be the bare minimum going forward. Possibly 5 or even 6 if good one's want in.

It would not be a surprise to see Nelson jump on board this weekend.

Hope that Trautwein can work some magic on Wagner, who seems like he is oh-high-ya's to lose. But the fact that he is coming this weekend, with many of the committed players on campus, could be a big plus.........

Last edited:
With Bruce gone from the 2021 recruiting class, leaving only Tengwall, the 2020 OL recruits seem to make up a very large part of what the OL roster will look like in 2022 and 2023. Franklin has known about Bruce a lot longer that the public, and it would seem that a 4 player 2022 OL class would be the bare minimum going forward. Possibly 5 or even 6 if good one's want in.

Hope that Trautwein can work some magic on Wagner, who seems like he is oh-high-ya's to lose. But the fact that he is coming this weekend, with many of the committed players on campus, could be a big plus.........
Speaking of JB Nelson, Mike White of Pittsburgh Post Gazette wrote the following on October 9, 2019:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...Palko-PIAA-transfer-rule/stories/201910090116

"If anyone is listening, I’m just sayin’.

It’s hard not to notice J.B. Nelson on a football field. Players who are 6 feet 5, 300 pounds tend to catch one’s attention.

But big J.B. is flying under the radar. A senior at Mt. Lebanon, Nelson is one of the best offensive linemen in Western Pennsylvania, even if many people or college recruiters don’t know about him.

Nelson has been impressive this season and dominant at times. Although he’s not being recruited by colleges and you won’t see him at a big-time program next year, his coach sees him possibly playing at a Power 5 conference school in a few years.

“He could play at Penn State, Wisconsin, places like that. I’m telling you he could be that good,” said Mt. Lebanon coach Bob Palko.

Palko hasn’t lost it, but Nelson will probably go the junior-college route after he graduates from Mt. Lebanon because of some academic issues. Still, he has the size, strength and ability to match some linemen who are being recruited by FBS schools. All of those traits just haven’t come out until this season.

“He’s just learning how to play,” Palko said. “He’s got a huge ceiling because his body is starting to change. He was way out of shape before. Now he’s eating better, he’s working out more and he’s playing both ways. If the right college gets hooked up with him and sticks with him when he’s at a junior college, I’m telling you that he could be really good. He’s the best lineman I’ve seen this year.”

If I’m a major-college coach and willing to wait a few years for a good lineman, I’m establishing a connection with Nelson right now."

Speaking of JB Nelson, Mike White of Pittsburgh Post Gazette wrote the following on October 9, 2019:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...Palko-PIAA-transfer-rule/stories/201910090116

"If anyone is listening, I’m just sayin’.

It’s hard not to notice J.B. Nelson on a football field. Players who are 6 feet 5, 300 pounds tend to catch one’s attention.

But big J.B. is flying under the radar. A senior at Mt. Lebanon, Nelson is one of the best offensive linemen in Western Pennsylvania, even if many people or college recruiters don’t know about him.

Nelson has been impressive this season and dominant at times. Although he’s not being recruited by colleges and you won’t see him at a big-time program next year, his coach sees him possibly playing at a Power 5 conference school in a few years.

“He could play at Penn State, Wisconsin, places like that. I’m telling you he could be that good,” said Mt. Lebanon coach Bob Palko.

Palko hasn’t lost it, but Nelson will probably go the junior-college route after he graduates from Mt. Lebanon because of some academic issues. Still, he has the size, strength and ability to match some linemen who are being recruited by FBS schools. All of those traits just haven’t come out until this season.

“He’s just learning how to play,” Palko said. “He’s got a huge ceiling because his body is starting to change. He was way out of shape before. Now he’s eating better, he’s working out more and he’s playing both ways. If the right college gets hooked up with him and sticks with him when he’s at a junior college, I’m telling you that he could be really good. He’s the best lineman I’ve seen this year.”

If I’m a major-college coach and willing to wait a few years for a good lineman, I’m establishing a connection with Nelson right now."

I used to catch & throw the football around with Bobby Palko.

I really did!!!!

With Bruce gone from the 2021 recruiting class, leaving only Tengwall, the 2020 OL recruits (Christ, Fashanu, Achumba, Traore, and Dawkins)seem to make up a very large part of what the OL roster will look like in 2022 and 2023. Franklin has known about Bruce a lot longer than the public, and it would seem that a 4 player 2022 OL class would be the bare minimum going forward. Possibly 5 or even 6 if good one's want in.

I was surprised we offered Bruce. My next door neighbor played for State High and played against him. We talked about him prior to PSU offering him and he told me they thought he was soft and he didn't play well against State High. When PSU offered him, it surprised me as he had a bit of a rep that I had read with similar comments. Not bashing the kids because he left, I have no idea why he left, just offering a 1st hand observation. Best of luck to Nate in what he does next.

Wagner has long been assumed a strong OSU lean, but there's not a ton of buzz coming from OSU these days on him. Could be in part because Wagner has played it pretty quiet, but there is a lot more talk about other OT prospects. So, he could be a realistic prospect.

Nelson seems to be a question of when, not if.

Would ideally like to see at least 5 OL in this class. The 2020 OL class was fairly large, but 3* prospects across the board. Definitely some raw ability there, but not on Tengwall's level.

I was surprised we offered Bruce. My next door neighbor played for State High and played against him. We talked about him prior to PSU offering him and he told me they thought he was soft and he didn't play well against State High. When PSU offered him, it surprised me as he had a bit of a rep that I had read with similar comments. Not bashing the kids because he left, I have no idea why he left, just offering a 1st hand observation. Best of luck to Nate in what he does next.
I've known one of the Harrisburg coaches since we were growing up. His take on Bruce when we signed him was amazing potential based on how well he moved at his size. Apparently did things in the weight room and in conditioning that big fellas typically can't. Now this may just be relative to other HS kids that my friend has seen.

Reactions: TheGLOV

I hope Nick "the OL whisperer" Dawkins is hosting him this weekend...

Lorenzetti did indeed commit to Michigan yesterday along with a LB ranked #833 nationally.

They now have 12 commits -- 7 of which are ranked outside of the top-500.

Will Johnson is a flat out stud. Tyler Morris is legit. Beyond that.......they are falling way behind in the talent race.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bison13
Not sure if mentioned yet, but 4* ATH Camron Miller from FL is on campus this weekend.

His bio on TOS is a really interesting read, he’s spent his HS career playing as an option-QB and seems to be an exceptional athlete. Has a confirmed 4.5 40 yard dash as well. I think our staff views him as a DB. If we can pull it off, could take some of the sting out of the Bellamy/Gould misses.

Don't want to interrupt the panty raid going on here, but doesn't Pribula look ready to go? Those shots of his time in the weight room don't seem to be an exaggeration........

Tried unsuccessfully to get the photo of Beau to show up here, so you'll just have to go to the photo's in the 247 article.......

10449494.JPG

10449494.JPG

10449494.JPG

What are the actual thoughts on Jayden Bellamy from the PSU side?
Do PSU folks actually want to land him, or see him as more of a backup plan?

His actual film and reported measureables (and rumored "lack thereof") have always had me in the "he's backup" camp.... but the list of actual offers (recent offers not long ago "guesses") is incredibly compelling evidence itself.

In the last 3-4 months Offers from:
  1. Ohio State
  2. Clemson
  3. Notre Dame
  4. LSU
  5. Penn State
  6. Michigan
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Tennessee
  10. Local Schools (Rutgers/Temple/Syracuse)
But very, very questionable measureables and only "okay" film.

Reactions: NedFromYork

His actual film and reported measureables (and rumored "lack thereof") have always had me in the "he's backup" camp.... but the list of actual offers (recent offers not long ago "guesses") is incredibly compelling evidence itself.

1. Ohio State
  2. Clemson
  3. Notre Dame
  4. LSU
  5. Penn State
  6. Michigan
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Tennessee
How many are commitable offers, though? I realize nobody here will know that, but I’d be curious how hard some of those schools are actually pursuing.

1. Ohio State
  2. Clemson
  3. Notre Dame
  4. LSU
  5. Penn State
  6. Michigan
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Tennessee
i disagree on the film thing...is his junior film is pretty impressive in my opinion...that's why you see a bunch on heavy hitters on his offers list...his first highlight shows his long speed...he likes to lay the lumber in a number of his plays...good ball skills, doesn't panic when ball is in air...good football awareness and IQ (recognizes plays developing around him and creates turnovers)...not sure how big he is so measurables are a ?...but i'm not going to change my opinion or think less of the kid because it seems he's going to ND...actually reminds me of Kalen King

How many are commitable offers, though? I realize nobody here will know that, but I’d be curious how hard some of those schools are actually pursuing.

That's a key question.
That's also why I find the timing of the offers so interesting.

Most "non-committable offers" tend to come in fairly early and don't become committable until the school's board clarifies and/or the prospect shows reciprocal interest (i.e. visits the school, camps, etc.)

They fact that virtually all of Bellamy's major offers are fairly recent seems out of line with the norm for non-committable (i.e. wait-and-see type) offers.

That's what makes it such an odd situation.

i disagree on the film thing...is his junior film is pretty impressive in my opinion...that's why you see a bunch on heavy hitters on his offers list...his first highlight shows his long speed...he likes to lay the lumber in a number of his plays...good ball skills, doesn't panic when ball is in air...good football awareness and IQ (recognizes plays developing around him and creates turnovers)...not sure how big he is so measurables are a ?...but i'm not going to change my opinion or think less of the kid because it seems he's going to ND...actually reminds me of Kalen King

I guess I just haven't seen the same speed and/or COD in his highlights, not that I'm a real scout or anything.
Those concerns were "confirmed" by rumors that he refused to run timed drills at some school camps (I believe Ohio State at least, maybe Penn State also?)

Appreciate the honest opinion either way.

That's a key question.
That's also why I find the timing of the offers so interesting.

Most "non-committable offers" tend to come in fairly early and don't become committable until the school's board clarifies and/or the prospect shows reciprocal interest (i.e. visits the school, camps, etc.)

They fact that virtually all of Bellamy's major offers are fairly recent seems out of line with the norm for non-committable (i.e. wait-and-see type) offers.

That's what makes it such an odd situation.
Or those schools are realizing their Top Tier or Two of recruits are trending elsewhere, so they need to put out offers to additional recruits. There is still time to develop relationships with recruits. Penn State is still giving out offers to the 2022 recruiting class and I would not say the recent offers are to “top recruits”.

Or those schools are realizing their Top Tier or Two of recruits are trending elsewhere, so they need to put out offers to additional recruits. There is still time to develop relationships with recruits. Penn State is still giving out offers to the 2022 recruiting class and I would not say the recent offers are to “top recruits”.

Definitely doesn't have to be a "Top Tier Recruit" for each of those schools. No question.
My commits were about the offers likely being serious/committable, given the timing.

Tier II recruits get committable offers, for exactly the reason you say.

Though it seems borderline impossible for all of Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Penn State, and Michigan to have their DB/NB/S recruits trending away...... who's left for them to trend towards?

Definitely doesn't have to be a "Top Tier Recruit" for each of those schools.ough it seems borderline impossible for all of Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Penn State, and Michigan to have their DB/NB/S recruits trending away...... who's left for them to trend towards?

This year especially, since there were no camps for the high school players to attend where they could get exposure and generate interest, the recent, June camps have been used to identify talented players. Such as the WR that PSU offered last weekend an who is now a commit. Not sure I would call these players "tier II", as much as they are just recently identified........

But in the event that the programs you mentioned do not fill the numbers at each position that they are looking for they may later in the cycle go after commits from programs not as glamorous, such as Pitt or Rutgers commits............ More current information on those players may elevate the interest in them as well.

This year especially, since there were no camps for the high school players to attend where they could get exposure and generate interest, the recent, June camps have been used to identify talented players. Such as the WR that PSU offered last weekend an who is now a commit. Not sure I would call these players "tier II", as much as they are just recently identified........

But in the event that the programs you mentioned do not fill the numbers at each position that they are looking for they may later in the cycle go after commits from programs not as glamorous, such as Pitt or Rutgers commits............ More current information on those players may elevate the interest in them as well.
Agreed. This year more than any other there will be tons of over-rated busts and tons of lightly recruited gems. A lot of HSs didn't even play seasons last year. Kids progress, some top out, a light goes on for others, some took that year off almost completely, and some grew 3 inches and added 30 lbs of muscle living in the weight room.

Reactions: bmw199 and Shadow99
A bunch of kids that have visited in the past few weeks are committing on July 4th. Not sure if it's a coincidence but it could be a very good day or bad day depending on how it goes.

A bunch of kids that have visited in the past few weeks are committing on July 4th. Not sure if it's a coincidence but it could be a very good day or bad day depending on how it goes.

Bellamy is announcing on July 2nd -- safe bet seems to be on ND.

I suspect we'll land Keon Wylie on July 3rd. He visited Kentucky this weekend, but I think we'll be tough to beat.

Fearbry will be an interesting decision on the 4th, as will Zane Durant.

Who else is announcing?

Agreed. This year more than any other there will be tons of over-rated busts and tons of lightly recruited gems. A lot of HSs didn't even play seasons last year. Kids progress, some top out, a light goes on for others, some took that year off almost completely, and some grew 3 inches and added 30 lbs of muscle living in the weight room.

But wouldn't a 3* with RECENT OFFERS from Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Michigan, etc...... count as an "underrated gem" more than an overrated bust?
In particular bc almost all of those offers came as COVID restrictions loosened and camps opened?

To me, this explanation seems neither here nor there for Bellamy.

I'm still left with no clear way to weigh what I've seen (in a VERY amatuer opinion) as mediocre film/measureables against what are clearly elite offers from elite professionals.

But wouldn't a 3* with RECENT OFFERS from Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Michigan, etc...... count as an "underrated gem" more than an overrated bust?
In particular bc almost all of those offers came as COVID restrictions loosened and camps opened?

To me, this explanation seems neither here nor there for Bellamy.

I'm still left with no clear way to weigh what I've seen (in a VERY amatuer opinion) as mediocre film/measureables against what are clearly elite offers from elite professionals.
Visits, especially officials, are a good indicator if a school is serious. He was very much a take at PSU. I really hope we don’t invest much effort in Bergen going forward. Don’t care how good the kid is they are reaching Hansen level BS.

ND is getting a starting P5 level CB. I’m not sure he’ll get drafted without a growth spurt or huge development but he could end up catching on as a nickel in the league. My opinion.

Reactions: FriedmanIP
ADVERTISEMENT