ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Yeah, I dont begrudge his optimism at all. Just saying that CJF needs to step it up. Franklin’s best qualities as a coach are relationships and recruiting. He’s been a good recruiter, but if Penn State is going to be elite, he needs to get a lot more elite recruits. I say this as a CJF fan. Love him, but it’s time to step up the game.
Does anyone realistically see PSU as being "elite?" If elite is defined as being one of the top 4 in the current playoff situation....pray tell how you see this happening. Admittedly, I'm not a dreamer, but look at next year's schedule. I see 8-4 or 9-3 all over it.....and that's the optimistic part of me. I worked in the era where coaches often "poor mouthed" their team outlook. "Geez, we're just hoping to be competitive..." We all should remember that from Joe. Very few if any modern coaches take this approach.
If you think there is a coach out there who is going to out recruit, out develop and out coach CJF.....I'd love to hear who you think that is and short of Jesus Christ....is he ready willing and just yearning to come to the sleeping giant that you all think is PSU.
I see PSU as a school that will produce a squad with 8 wins being the low and 11 being the high season total. Perhaps a year like 2016 comes along and we ride the wave to a playoff birth, once in a blue moon. Elite? Really?
I'm not going to let pipe dreams get in the way of enjoying a program that in 2 or 3 out of 5 years will finish in the top 10 and go to a NY day bowl. Every coach and every fan base wants to be "elite." It's a goal.....in the case of PSU.....a bridge too far.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310 and ftlpsu
Yeah, I dont begrudge his optimism at all. Just saying that CJF needs to step it up. Franklin’s best qualities as a coach are relationships and recruiting. He’s been a good recruiter, but if Penn State is going to be elite, he needs to get a lot more elite recruits. I say this as a CJF fan. Love him, but it’s time to step up the game.
Just for early morning shits and giggles.....but how much and who is putting "pressure" on CJF?
The guy just signed a 38.2 million dollar contract (6) years. If he chooses to leave PSU he owes them 5 million. If he is fired without cause he is entitled to the current years guaranteed compensation times the number of years left on the contract. I'd love to work and live under that sort of pressure.
I think all of these coaches are pretty self motivated. He's already set for life.....and probably has his children set for life as well.

Reactions: gslachta
Does anyone realistically see PSU as being "elite?" If elite is defined as being one of the top 4 in the current playoff situation....pray tell how you see this happening. Admittedly, I'm not a dreamer, but look at next year's schedule. I see 8-4 or 9-3 all over it.....and that's the optimistic part of me. I worked in the era where coaches often "poor mouthed" their team outlook. "Geez, we're just hoping to be competitive..." We all should remember that from Joe. Very few if any modern coaches take this approach.
If you think there is a coach out there who is going to out recruit, out develop and out coach CJF.....I'd love to hear who you think that is and short of Jesus Christ....is he ready willing and just yearning to come to the sleeping giant that you all think is PSU.
I see PSU as a school that will produce a squad with 8 wins being the low and 11 being the high season total. Perhaps a year like 2016 comes along and we ride the wave to a playoff birth, once in a blue moon. Elite? Really?
I'm not going to let pipe dreams get in the way of enjoying a program that in 2 or 3 out of 5 years will finish in the top 10 and go to a NY day bowl. Every coach and every fan base wants to be "elite." It's a goal.....in the case of PSU.....a bridge too far.
We were once elite...are current elite truly cheating which would prevent us from getting back? If yes, the agree with your assessment. If no, then why not?

We were once elite...are current elite truly cheating which would prevent us from getting back? If yes, the agree with your assessment. If no, then why not?
IMO, PSU's "heyday" was 35 -40 years ago, perhaps longer. The 94 team popped up 8 years after the miracle in the desert. The world has changed. So many kids want to go south. I think OSU has done a great job keeping some top prospects up north. As if the top prospects don't look to the SEC for the most part, this years screwing around didn't help the Big 10. If OSU had not messed up in recruiting, we likely don't even get Parsons. PSU hasn't really been great other than 94 since they joined the Big Ten. PSU football has been very good.
PSU is a top 12-15 program. We can argue a spot or two either way. Nebraska was once great, as was Michigan....Tennessee....things change and I'm happy PSU is doing better than those programs.

IMO, PSU's "heyday" was 35 -40 years ago, perhaps longer. The 94 team popped up 8 years after the miracle in the desert. The world has changed. So many kids want to go south. I think OSU has done a great job keeping some top prospects up north. As if the top prospects don't look to the SEC for the most part, this years screwing around didn't help the Big 10. If OSU had not messed up in recruiting, we likely don't even get Parsons. PSU hasn't really been great other than 94 since they joined the Big Ten. PSU football has been very good.
PSU is a top 12-15 program. We can argue a spot or two either way. Nebraska was once great, as was Michigan....Tennessee....things change and I'm happy PSU is doing better than those programs.
I think that is a fair assessment...but I do think PSU has had some pretty darn good teams after 1994...teams that finished in top 5...plus some teams that were mega talented that went deep into the year ranked as high as #1...also agree that we are doing better than Michigan, Tennessee, and Nebraska...things can and will change...Penn State is well positioned with as strong a fan base as there is...but the primary challenge is elite talent will primarily have to be obtained outside our core recruiting area. Doable? Yes. But it will be very difficult.

I think that is a fair assessment...but I do think PSU has had some pretty darn good teams after 1994...teams that finished in top 5...plus some teams that were mega talented that went deep into the year ranked as high as #1...also agree that we are doing better than Michigan, Tennessee, and Nebraska...things can and will change...Penn State is well positioned with as strong a fan base as there is...but the primary challenge is elite talent will primarily have to be obtained outside our core recruiting area. Doable? Yes. But it will be very difficult.
Good analysis. I think we have a great recruiting area. I may be in the minority but I think a big Beaver Stadium upgrade to completely enclose the stadium, make nice concourses instead of seeing exposed steel work, and making all bathrooms much nicer would be a big draw and help with recruits, cherry on top of 110,700.

I certainly would love to be wrong and see PSU as a perennial CFP participant. After all, I've been a fan for 60 years. At the end of July 2012, I left State College after the death of my HS coach and listened to the sanctions being levied on the radio. In a way, I bid farewell to the PSU program I loved. I'm very happy that things have rebounded and exceeded the expectations that I would have had after that day. My sons and I yelled, screamed, cheered and yes cried when we returned to bowl eligibility (in overtime at the Pinstripe Bowl).
In any event, I enjoy PSU football. I am not going to be a fan that misses out on all the good times because I'm waiting to be "elite."

I certainly would love to be wrong and see PSU as a perennial CFP participant. After all, I've been a fan for 60 years. At the end of July 2012, I left State College after the death of my HS coach and listened to the sanctions being levied on the radio. In a way, I bid farewell to the PSU program I loved. I'm very happy that things have rebounded and exceeded the expectations that I would have had after that day. My sons and I yelled, screamed, cheered and yes cried when we returned to bowl eligibility (in overtime at the Pinstripe Bowl).
In any event, I enjoy PSU football. I am not going to be a fan that misses out on all the good times because I'm waiting to be "elite."
Could not agree more.

Reactions: PSU621
Now you understand the purpose of my posts. It's absolutely comical to see some come unhinged when others don't agree with their views.
You certainly haven't followed my posts.....I love to provoke. I mean its a message board. I like to entertained and amused. We've got guys tearing their hair out over the # of times a qb runs or why we don't put the qb under center.....

So what top-level recruits are we realistically in the mix for that could pull the trigger over the next month?

(assuming Talley has heard something about some near-term commitments, given his tweet)

Granted, kids talk all the time about "breaking the internet" with all the awesome commitments that are imminent, so it may be a bunch of nothing. But curious who we could reasonably expect.

It’s gotta be commitments from both Enai White and Dennis Sutton at a minimum. The two of them together will not get us to be the #1 class but they will be significant commitments at a position in need. But I don’t think White’s recruitment will be over until he signs on the dotted line, if his commitment is a “real” commitment.

It’s gotta be commitments from both Enai White and Dennis Sutton at a minimum. The two of them together will not get us to be the #1 class but they will be significant commitments at a position in need. But I don’t think White’s recruitment will be over until he signs on the dotted line, if his commitment is a “real” commitment.

That would be a heck of a combination.

Wouldn't be #1, but that matters little at this stage. White has all the SEC elites + OSU after him, so that would be a huge get.

Any chance Nick Singleton, Shawn Murphy, and/or Keon Sabb are in on the fun?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Any chance Nick Singleton, Shawn Murphy, and/or Keon Sabb are in on the fun?

Holy Hannah. These with Sutton and White would be scary!

Looked up who all 5 are as I don’t follow the recruiting that closely.

OL

suggest you guys "slow your roll." please try to manage your expectations. one or two very good players at positions of need would be great.
People are losing their minds lol! Follow the CBs and FCs. I believe White has no projections on either site.

People are losing their minds lol! Follow the CBs and FCs. I believe White has no projections on either site.
Just to be clear, gentlemen....I don’t feel that Penn State will land all five recruits. I don’t follow closely, so I looked up each of these players. That’s my holy hannah!
1 or 2 would be tremendous though.

OL

To get better. Some college coaches want their commits playing top competition, getting the best coaching, and peer recruiting the best teammates.

Yes, if I’m CJF I want my recruits on display in the heart of SEC country further away from me and surrounded by sharks from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, etc. I get it - I just don’t think there is any real good excuse to leave the school you’ve been at to play one year for a HS all star team.

Yes, if I’m CJF I want my recruits on display in the heart of SEC country further away from me and surrounded by sharks from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, etc. I get it - I just don’t think there is any real good excuse to leave the school you’ve been at to play one year for a HS all star team.
It may not be what he wants...but he doesn't own them. You may be engaged to a beautiful girl, let me know how it works out if you try to keep her from going out in public. College fans get hung up on the thought this is all about their teams....it started being about the NFL and $$$$ a long time ago for these 4 and 5 star kids.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bison13
Have the rest of James’s actions this off-season looked like the James of old?

ADVERTISEMENT