ADVERTISEMENT

2022 PA States

Looks like Pitt is getting a good one in Pitzer...any thoughts on his potential?
IMO gonna be very good, but probably not an NCAA champ. He's going HWT, and Feldman beat him convincingly 2x last year. I think he'll also struggle with Mullen.

His competition has been really weak too. Beating TJ Stewart this year was very encouraging, but Stewart won't be a HWT. He has some good wins: Bennett 2x, Weightman 2x, Pavlechko, Muzika ... but I'm not sure which of them are D1 starters (at least not yet).

For that reason I wish he had gone HWT, so we could've seen him against at least Robell.

He'll probably be a Day 1 starter for Pitt without shirting, and I don't think he's ready for that at HWT with Houghton, Trepham, Wilson, Catka, MIller, Pettigrew, etc., all in the ACC.

Thanks again Jefe for all the great results and info!

Ok, I gotta ask, how did you do on your predictions?
Overall, pretty well I'd say. See below.
Jefe predictions at left of wrestler name, actual finish at right of wrester name.
This has not been peer checked, so there could be a couple errors, but it should be pretty close.
Hopefully this isn't a repeat post by the time it's finished.
(Clearly I have some free time today)

AA 106
1. Gill - (2)
2. Seidel - (1)
3. Smith -(3)

AA 113
1. Bradley - (1)
2. Wentzel - (2)
3. Botero - (3)
4. Jackson - (4)
5. Robison - (7)
6. Bainey - (6)

AA 120
1. Pepe - (1)
2. Vargo - (5)
3. Bainey (3)
4. Schweitzer - DNP

AA 126
1. Johnson - (1)
2. Milheim - (3)
3. Gardner - DNP

AA 132
1. Chletsos - (1)
2. Reinsel - (2)
3. Bollman - (5)
4. Kolb - DNP
5. Barvitskie - (4)

AA 138
1. Crookham - (1)
2. Pierce - (2)
3. Milheim - (7)

AA 145
1. Harer - (1)
2. Wagner - (3)
3. Maag - (5)
4. Alderfer - (2)
5. Gill - (4)
6. Watson - DNP

AA 152
1. Arrington - (1)
2. Deem - (5)
3. Duggan - (3)
4. Christie - (2)

AA 160
1. MacKay - (2)
2. Garcia - (1)
3. Schneider - (5)

AA 172
1. Lawrence - (1)
2. Jones - (2)
3. Lear - (3)
4. Garcia - (5)

AA 189
1. Karpinski - (2)
2. Cory - (1)
3. Cutchember - (4)
4. Scheib - (7)

AA 215
1. Pitzer - (1)
2. Morrison - (2)
3. Linnkerhof - (5)
4. Mahaffey - (8)

AA 285
1. Robell - (1)
2. Johnson - (2)
3. Ulrich - (3)
4. Muzika - (5)
5. Watkins - DNP

AAA 106
1. Desmond - (1)
2. Sirianni - (7)
3. Willochell - (2)

AAA 113
1. Jacarusso - (1)
2. Williams - (3)
3. Nasdeo - (6)
4. Parkins - DNP
5. Tocci - (8)
6. Wagner - (4)
7. Chappel - (7)
8. MacMillon - DNP

AAA 120
1. Kilkeary - (1)
2. Hohman - (7)
3. Leiphart - (2)
4. McIntyre - DNP
5. Williams - (5)
6. Cunningham - (8)
7. Houpt - (6)
8. Ziegler - DNP

AAA 126
1. Van Dee - (5)
2, Shindledecker - (7)
3. Frinzi - DNP
4. Shaw - (3)
5. Perry - (1)

AAA 132
1. Church - (1)
2. Simcox - (5)
3. Rath - (3)
4. Repos - (2)
5. Bower - DNP

AAA 138
1. Kasak - (3)
2. Priest - (2)
3. Manville - (1)
4. Findora - (4)

AAA 145
1. Solomon - (2)
2. Swisher - (3)
3. Watters - (1)
4. Harmon - DNP
5. Bower - (7)

AAA 152
1. Condo - DNP
2. Evans - (1)
3. Sipes - (5)

AAA 160
1. Keslar - (1)
2. Barlow - (5)
3. Colajezzi - (3)
4. Muth - DNP

AAA 172
1. Welsh - (1)
2. Hogan - (3)
3. D'Agostino - (2)

AAA 189
1. Stout - (3)
2. Collins - (2)
3. Sasso - (1)
4. Miller (4)

AAA 215
1. Pavlechko - (3)
2. Finnerty - (1)
3. DiGiorgio - (4)
4. Levey - DNP

AAA 285
1. Kinney - (1)
2. Cruise - (2)
3. McChesney - (6)
4. Crews - (5)
5. Billotte - (4)

Reactions: kevin310 and royboy
Accountability? What's that?

I think I did OK but will let others pass judgment.

Here's what the numbers say:

Predicted champs: 17 of 26 = 65%
# predicted 2nd finishing 1st: 5
# predicted 3rd finishing 1st: 3

# predicted champs finishing 2nd: 4
# predicted champs finishing 3rd: 3

# predicted both finalists: 10 of 26 = 38%
# missed both finalists: 1

The one I messed up badly was AAA 126 -- my top 3 finished 5-7-DNP, and I had neither the 2 or 4 in my top 5. Woof. I really liked both Perry and Shaw (who finished 1st and 3rd), but thought Hershey experience would win out. Was wrong on that one.
What are folks thots on Dalton Perry ...have been 'following' his matches for the past year before he got into high school. I really thought he was going to do well at Hershey ...was telling my buddies before states to keep an eye on him ....doesn't hurt that he's an M2 kid also.

What are folks thots on Dalton Perry ...have been 'following' his matches for the past year before he got into high school. I really thought he was going to do well at Hershey ...was telling my buddies before states to keep an eye on him ....doesn't hurt that he's an M2 kid also.
Really, really good. Not just states -- was a Fargo AA last offseason (before his FR year).

But don't take my word for it ...

The talk about regional with alot of podium placers at states, you need to look at NW region. As small as that is it had to be a great percentage for that region on the podium compared to the other regions

Thats 17 place winner’s from 28 schools in the NW region. Now if someone wants to do the ither regions to compare, I’m sure you’ll see how impressive that is.

Reactions: hlstone
If anyones curious, in AAA NW region there is district 4- 3 schools, district 6 - 8 schools, district 8- 6 schools, district 9-5 schools, district 10-6 schools

Thats 17 place winner’s from 28 schools in the NW region. Now if someone wants to do the ither regions to compare, I’m sure you’ll see how impressive that is.
They came from just 9 schools:
D4: Williamsport 3 (Nasdeo, R. Bower, Crews)
D6: Altoona 1 (Sipes); Bellefonte 1 (Swisher); Central Mtn 3 (Perry, Simcox, Walizer); Mifflin County 1 (Shoemaker); State College 3 (Cunningham, Manville, Pavlechko)
D9: Clearfield 2 (Chamberlain, Billotte)
D10: Erie Prep 2 (Van Dee, Smith); Meadville 1 (Buzzell)

Reactions: creamery freak
Yes just stating the size of the NW region compared to the others, since it was discussed about This in the thread.

Just by the numbers the other regions should have the numerical advantage getting a group of top talent to states. I didn’t like them going to 20 person bracket, then they have NW kids in pigtails which should never be since they allowed extra qualifiers from the other regions.

Accountability? What's that?

I think I did OK but will let others pass judgment.

Here's what the numbers say:

Predicted champs: 17 of 26 = 65%
# predicted 2nd finishing 1st: 5
# predicted 3rd finishing 1st: 3

# predicted champs finishing 2nd: 4
# predicted champs finishing 3rd: 3

# predicted both finalists: 10 of 26 = 38%
# missed both finalists: 1

The one I messed up badly was AAA 126 -- my top 3 finished 5-7-DNP, and I had neither the 2 or 4 in my top 5. Woof. I really liked both Perry and Shaw (who finished 1st and 3rd), but thought Hershey experience would win out. Was wrong on that one.
I kid around a lot on here but just wanted to say I have an authentic appreciacuation for what you do on this board with pretty much anything PA wrestling related but especially when it comes to the tourneys from Districts on up to States. Just got back from having to travel to my daughters baby shower weekend in Lancaster and you have no idea what you did for me so I could keep entertained. Lol. My son in law actually had it planned for us to run up to Hershey during shower but they got some snow there so we decided to be good guys and stayed to carry things in for the women and park cars etc. It’s no joke, this board has become the premier forum on the net. There’s a handful of guys here that without a doubt contribute to its success. You are certainly one of them. Thank you.

I kid around a lot on here but just wanted to say I have an authentic appreciacuation for what you do on this board with pretty much anything PA wrestling related but especially when it comes to the tourneys from Districts on up to States. Just got back from having to travel to my daughters baby shower weekend in Lancaster and you have no idea what you did for me so I could keep entertained. Lol. My son in law actually had it planned for us to run up to Hershey during shower but they got some snow there so we decided to be good guys and stayed to carry things in for the women and park cars etc. It’s no joke, this board has become the premier forum on the net. There’s a handful of guys here that without a doubt contribute to its success. You are certainly one of them. Thank you.
Ditto what johnstown said. El jefe is the man when it comes to PA HS wrestlers and pretty much everyone knows it. Even the Iowa fans. :)

Your check's in the mail.

Since you attended a baby shower, maybe you can use it to buy a set of balls. Signed, HR mods.

Seriously, hope it all helped offset that, and understood with the weather. I know other people who canceled Hershey plans for it, and I'm glad they did.

Perry is a machine. Heard his pops is sold on PSU. Has been for years. He is the real deal

Interesting point. Sounds like Texas HS Football. They produce many 4 and 5 star recruits who then don't improve much in college. Not sure if this is happening in Lehigh Valley, but in some of the biggest football towns in Texas (and some other places) kids are held back in school before entering high school and have the advantage of more physical development.
Happens all the time in baseball here in California

Any latest tweets or info on how the M2 kids finished ? How many champs , 2nd , 3rd etc per AA and AAA?

does manville train at M2 or no?

I think M2 did well.
A bunch of placers:
Perry, Johnson Brothers, Swisher, Kasak, MacKay, Simcox, Milheim’s, Cunningham, Weiss, Pav, etc

Gibsons would of given them two more champions. Not sure if that Magro trains there too

Kinney strikes me as another Nick Nevills -- a tremendous HWT wrestler who can be a 3x/4x AA in college, but will likely struggle with a nimble athletic college HWT like Cassar or Snyder or Gwiz.

Of course there are very few nimble athletic college HWTs like Cassar or Snyder or Gwiz coming up. Feldman, Mullen, who else exactly? They don't grow on trees.

But Nick did wrestle a lot of low-scoring matches in college. He was very good at them, but that does give much less margin for error, and it did come back to bite him occasionally (for example, Dhesi). Kinney would likely have the same risk.
Guys, I’ve read and read this thread and it’s good stuff, but we really think the Lehigh Valley hasn’t given us anything? It gave us the best mind and recruiter in college. Mr. Smalls.

Any latest tweets or info on how the M2 kids finished ? How many champs , 2nd , 3rd etc per AA and AAA?

does manville train at M2 or no?
DT tweeted that he had 6 in the finals, 4 AA + 2 AAA. He didn't name names, but we know these guys are all M2:
AA: Weiss 2, Scott Johnson 1, Karpinski 2, Austin Johnson 2
AAA: Desmond 1, Perry 1

Going down the brackets:
3rd: Coen Bainey, Kaden Milheim, Kasak, Swisher, Pavlechko
4th: Zeke Dubler, Suds Dubler
other placers: Cameron Milheim, Watson, Nasdeo, Cunningham, Simcox, Walizer, Sipes

I might be missing some ...

That's a really impressive showing.

DT did not mention Manville in his tweets. Him not training there would be surprising, but who knows. The Manvilles are more Greco focused, so it's possible.

They came from just 9 schools:
D4: Williamsport 3 (Nasdeo, R. Bower, Crews)
D6: Altoona 1 (Sipes); Bellefonte 1 (Swisher); Central Mtn 3 (Perry, Simcox, Walizer); Mifflin County 1 (Shoemaker); State College 3 (Cunningham, Manville, Pavlechko)
D9: Clearfield 2 (Chamberlain, Billotte)
D10: Erie Prep 2 (Van Dee, Smith); Meadville 1 (Buzzell)
If I interpret these posts correctly, Williamsport is thrown into the NW region of PA? That seems pretty weird.

I get there is no perfect way to slice up these PIAA districts/regions, but as someone from that general area of the state, I'm pretty sure the people who live there would disagree.

• Haha
Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
If I interpret these posts correctly, Williamsport is thrown into the NW region of PA? That seems pretty weird.

I get there is no perfect way to slice up these PIAA districts/regions, but as someone from that general area of the state, I'm pretty sure the people who live there would disagree.
It's been that way for a few years now. I'm originally from D4 too, and it does seem weird to me ... but D4 AAA is down to 3 teams (Williamsport, Shik, Selinsgrove), and D9 only has 4 AAA teams, so that combo makes sense, even if D4 schools have to cross D6 in order to get to D9.

NW Regionals in Altoona every year is closer than NE Regionals in the Lehigh Valley.

It just seems bizarre to call D4 NW when it isn't, and when D4 AA is NE.

Then again, D3 is SC or SE, D6 is SW or NW, and D11 is SE or NE depending on school size. Because PA.

Reactions: danoftw
It's probably time to dredge up the coaching tree thread and update it.

In the meantime:
Derek Reber (Lewisburg) and Wes Phipps (Grove City) both are head coaches with state placers.
Quentin Wright (Tyrone) had 3 qualifiers but none placed.

As many have already stated, thanks for all the great information in this thread(Jefe). Mind boggling the amount of time put in to help inform us about the HS scene at the top level.

Just curious if anyone could chime in on what say a 106/113 pound kid walks around before cutting? Now I know everyone is different but you can also tell who the "bigger" kids are and the ones that may be legit smaller kids that do not cut as much. I saw Ayden Smith up close and he looked small, and to me he looks like a 106 pounder next year as a junior. Seidel does not look big either, and Kolb is tiny. Hubert, Lewis, and Desmond look bigger to me. I remember before Super 32 hearing Knox was dropping to 106 because he was light,121 pounds a week before, I thought that was insane. He handles Bassett, another big 106 pounder at the time, in the finals. You could clearly see their size played a big factor. Now I know during that tourney they can cut way more weight without the PIAA rules, but my point is their size still helps against smaller kids. What do you think is a good weight to be walking around before the season? Any input be great to hear.

As many have already stated, thanks for all the great information in this thread(Jefe). Mind boggling the amount of time put in to help inform us about the HS scene at the top level.

Just curious if anyone could chime in on what say a 106/113 pound kid walks around before cutting? Now I know everyone is different but you can also tell who the "bigger" kids are and the ones that may be legit smaller kids that do not cut as much. I saw Ayden Smith up close and he looked small, and to me he looks like a 106 pounder next year as a junior. Seidel does not look big either, and Kolb is tiny. Hubert, Lewis, and Desmond look bigger to me. I remember before Super 32 hearing Knox was dropping to 106 because he was light,121 pounds a week before, I thought that was insane. He handles Bassett, another big 106 pounder at the time, in the finals. You could clearly see their size played a big factor. Now I know during that tourney they can cut way more weight without the PIAA rules, but my point is their size still helps against smaller kids. What do you think is a good weight to be walking around before the season? Any input be great to hear.
I can vouche that Kolb is tiny. He ate a whole Red Rock Hoagie (If you know, you know) before weigh ins and still came in at 96 lbs. His brother shot up after his freshman 106 year but who knows.

Other than HWT, 106 is the absolute worst weight to figure that stuff out, because there are so many freshmen. Like you and Rhino said, a lot of them aren't even up to 106 yet -- which skews the eye test. And there's so much height variance. Plus growth isn't limited to the offseason.

Because 106 has so many freshmen (and almost all the rest are sophomores), whatever I think will be obsolete in a month anyway. Except for seniors at 106 -- IDK why any senior taller than 5-0 would still be at that weight, barring amputation.

Regarding Knox: he cut to 106 for Super 32 specifically to get Bassett. He wrestled 113 the entire year (except for one match at 120).

Reactions: James Toney
It's probably time to dredge up the coaching tree thread and update it.

In the meantime:
Derek Reber (Lewisburg) and Wes Phipps (Grove City) both are head coaches with state placers.
Quentin Wright (Tyrone) had 3 qualifiers but none placed.
Reber is at mifflinburg

Reactions: danoftw
There’s merit to the over developed argument, to a point, but I think that’s an argument against mid-tier Valley kids, not the top of the heap. The kids who are Division I, but not top ten program caliber (like the slew of D11 kids who go Ivy) tend to be pretty maxed out.

You did have that stretch 20 years ago where D11’s college results did not match their high school ones, which interestingly came immediately after their one of the best performing generation of colleges guys (the Trenge, Snyder. Billman, Dillon, Killar, Stuart, Doto, Vitale, Frick). But that 01-08 generation that only saw Ecklof and Krom AA and while I pointed out some individual reason for why some guys didn’t blossom, but there was definitely structural stuff in place too - I’ve been critical in other places of Northampton’s development and style (and Saucon’s now) for getting guys ready for the next level, and I think other programs/clubs had an over emphasis of top wrestling in a way that didn’t translate. Also, a lot of those kids (many of whom I’ve know for a long time and like personally) were nuts.

But has the “Lehigh Valley studs aren’t good in college” thing been true since? Starting with Oliver, there have been good college careers with podium appearances from Cruz, Lizak, Labriola, Sasso, Moisey, Minotti. We’ll see on the Condomitti, Pinto, Handlovic group that is just getting started, but they feel more college ready than that group twenty years ago. What you haven’t seen is the multi year medalist who maybe makes finals or wins a weight without a superstar then blossom into a legit guy in college, which you probably can attribute to the over development angle (a kid like Danny Moran or Travis Stefanik comes to mind), but Penn State isn’t and shouldn’t be in on those kids anyway.

Taking this back to states, in the underclassmen group, I’d be on Rath, Desmond, Kinney if I’m Penn State, in that order. I think Rath is the best athlete of the three in a way that gives him upside beyond how polished he is for a freshman. Desmond is the best now, but he’d be the one I’d have the closest eye on to see how he jumps levels developmentally. Kinney is very skilled for his size, and I think he probably has the highest floor, but I do have some ceiling questions. Campbell I think is a guy that’s going to be maxed out pretty early, I don’t think he’ll be a Penn State level kid at all. Parkins I have no idea, he’s gotta actually wrestle.
The advance development of the kids at young age could be part of it. The kids are going to numerous local clubs,ie Red Hawk, traveling to M2 and getting worked out by the depth on some of the teams roster. The development is beyond what some other kids do in the state.
An example I can relate, is my father was a youth football coach and went to numerous coaching clinics. He met a pro scout during the early 1980s who spoke how they would be concerned that the potential Penn State draftee had very little room for approvement because their weight and training program was more developed at Penn State than most schools.

Last edited:
It's been that way for a few years now. I'm originally from D4 too, and it does seem weird to me ... but D4 AAA is down to 3 teams (Williamsport, Shik, Selinsgrove), and D9 only has 4 AAA teams, so that combo makes sense, even if D4 schools have to cross D6 in order to get to D9.

NW Regionals in Altoona every year is closer than NE Regionals in the Lehigh Valley.

It just seems bizarre to call D4 NW when it isn't, and when D4 AA is NE.

Then again, D3 is SC or SE, D6 is SW or NW, and D11 is SE or NE depending on school size. Because PA.
Back in the day, there were 4 not 5 regions. South West was District 7, South East was Districts 1 + 3, but the other two were North East and Central North West. CNW included State College, Lewistown, Bedford, Dubois. Williamsport was in the North East.
Don't ask me why.

The advance development of the kids at young age could be part of it. The kids are going to numerous local clubs,ie Red Hawk, traveling to M2 and getting worked out by the depth on some of the teams roster. The development is beyond what some other kids do in the state.
An example I can relate, is my father was a youth football coach and went to numerous coaching clinics. He met a pro scout during the early 1980s who spoke how they would be concerned that the potential Penn State draftee had very little room for approvement because their weight and training program was more developed at Penn State than most schools.
Back in the 70s there was a gym in Altoona PA (Jake's IIRC) that had a ton of guys benching over 500 pounds. Penn State football had a group in the gym for several days measuring angles of different benches, talking to guys about different routines searching for anything on the subject of strength training that they did not know themselves.

Reactions: Callthestall
Overall, pretty well I'd say. See below.
Jefe predictions at left of wrestler name, actual finish at right of wrester name.
This has not been peer checked, so there could be a couple errors, but it should be pretty close.
Hopefully this isn't a repeat post by the time it's finished.
(Clearly I have some free time today)

AA 106
1. Gill - (2)
2. Seidel - (1)
3. Smith -(3)

AA 113
1. Bradley - (1)
2. Wentzel - (2)
3. Botero - (3)
4. Jackson - (4)
5. Robison - (7)
6. Bainey - (6)