ADVERTISEMENT

2022 PA States

Me too.

Single-class states sounds really great, until we start thinking about having single-class sectionals, single-class districts, and single-class regionals -- which would be harder to run and cause a lot of friction with regards to regional allocations to states. And probably not be very good for small-school registration numbers, where recent years have seen a lot of 106/113 forfeits.
Run it as they do now except at the end run it a single championship.

Run it as they do now except at the end run it a single championship.
Not possible. They're not going to run a 40-man bracket at states. And they're not going to split 20 qualifiers among 9 regionals.

Don't forget who is still active as an assistant at Saucon. Don Rohn, who is one of the great coaches of all time. He walked away years ago because of the commitment it takes to be head coach. People forget his first head coaching job was not Northampton but it was Hazelton who in 1980 stopped North Schuylkill 127 match league winning streak.

Not possible. They're not going to run a 40-man bracket at states. And they're not going to split 20 qualifiers among 9 regionals.
One more round. 13 more matches. At around 10pm tonight. A "true first", if you will. :)

I don't disagree with you very often, but I have to here. They already run a 40 man bracket event. So the ability to do so is currently practiced annually.

The only problem is can they do so without losing attendance cash? The PIAA wrestling championships pay an awful lot of the PIAA's bills.

I don't disagree with you very often, but I have to here. They already run a 40 man bracket event. So the ability to do so is currently practiced annually.

The only problem is can they do so without losing attendance cash? The PIAA wrestling championships pay an awful lot of the PIAA's bills.
What I meant by a 40-man bracket is piling 40 guys into one bracket means 6 rounds of wrestling -- more for the underdeveloped HS boys than for fully developed college men.

While that does happen at Super 32, I just can't see PIAA doing that. And if they were so inclined, I'd expect major pushback from the coaches looking to protect the health of their wrestlers.

Reactions: creamery freak
Johnson falls short in his quest to become the first freshman HWT state champ.

HWT placers:
1 - Robell
2 - Johnson
3 - Emmanuel Ulrich, Mifflinburg
4 - Kade Sottolano, Williamson
5 - Leo Muzika, Faith Christian
6 - Josh Perrine, Saegertown
7 - Xavier Reyda, Corry
8 - Charles Sheppard, Hamburg

Last edited:
AAA produces more D1 wrestlers. Also, when looking at the AA and AAA medalists, at most weights AAA is deeper -- i.e., if there were one bracket, it would be mostly AAA guys on the podium. Also, a lot of the AA state qualifiers and probably some medalists wouldn't get out of regionals -- and some wouldn't get out of districts.

That said, in a combined bracket AA would get its share of champs. Maybe not 50-50, but close. It's further down the podium where AAA is better.

PA AA is still one of the toughest state tournaments in the country.
I mean, it's just a factor of having more kids in AAA, right? If you have 3 times as many kids, you should produce 3 times as many D1 wrestlers. A deeper dive into which class produces more D1 wrestlers per capita might be interesting.
Yes but you would be including population (a lot of it) that doesn’t have serious wrestling or wrestling at all (Philly/Pittsburgh)

What I meant by a 40-man bracket is piling 40 guys into one bracket means 6 rounds of wrestling -- more for the underdeveloped HS boys than for fully developed college men.

While that does happen at Super 32, I just can't see PIAA doing that. And if they were so inclined, I'd expect major pushback from the coaches looking to protect the health of their wrestlers.
Go back to 2 16 man brackets and then wedge that into a single 32 man bracket. 5 rounds.

There are doable options, but as with most things PIAA related the money shall dictate.

Welcome to PA, where you can be a senior Big Ten commit and still not advance past regionals.

List of D1 college commits below. That said, if you look thru the brackets, an astounding number of seniors appear to be uncommitted – and not just seniors, but regional champ seniors and returning placewinner seniors. I’m sure I’m missing some, but even so this is a lot.

B10:
Nebraska: Van Dee (AAA 126)
Ohio State: Wililams twins (AAA 113/120), Kilkeary (AAA 120), Welsh (AAA 172)
Penn State: Nasdeo (AAA 113), Haines (NLWC/not competing)
Rutgers: Chletsos (AA 132)
Wisconsin: Coy (not competing)

ACC:
NC State: Hohman (AAA 120), Solomon (AAA 145), Arrington (AA 152)
Pitt: Priest (AAA 138), Laffey (AAA 152), Pletcher (AAA 152), MacKay (AA 160), Keslar (AAA 160), Stout (AAA 189), Pitzer (AA 215),
Virginia Tech: Church (AAA 132)

B12:
Air Force: N. Tocci (AAA 113), Biscoe (AA 138), LeFevre (AAA 145)
West Virginia: Watters (AAA 145)

EIWA:
Army: Karpinski (AA 189)
Bucknell: Bower brothers (AAA 132/145), Linkerhof (AA 215)
Columbia: McChesney (AAA 285)
Cornell: E. Gibson (not competing)
Drexel: D’Agostino (AAA 172)
F&M: Leiphart (AAA 120), Arciuolo (injured/not competing)
Harvard: D. Frinzi (AAA 126)
Lehigh: Reinsel (AA 132), Crookham (AA 138), Morlacci (AAA 160)
Navy: Colajezzi (AAA 160)
Penn: Swisher (AAA 145), Cruise (AAA 285)
Princeton: H. Garcia (AA 160)

MAC:
Buffalo: C. Gill (AA 145), Kranitz (AAA 160)
Clarion: Toth (AA 138), Cutchember (AA 189), Tustin (AAA 285)
George Mason: Howe (AA 120), Stoneking (AAA 138), Maag (AA 145)
Lock Haven: Wagner (AA 145)
Kent State: Houpt (AAA 120), Finnerty (AAA 215)

SoCon:
Campbell: Phaturos (AAA 126)
VMI: Shippey (AAA 132)

Football:
Bloomsburg: Crews (AAA 285)
CUP: Laventure (AAA 285)
Edinboro: Enders (AA not competing/injured)
IUP: Weightman (AAA 215)
Kent State: Garcia (AA early enrolled/not competing), BIllotte (AAA 285)
Lebanon Valley: Gallagher (AAA 285)
Billotte from Clearfield is also committed in football at Bowling Green

My AA take:
It is so easy not to like the Notre dame coach, he is a clown but honestly must know how to play the game. He jumps around and acts like such a jerk
Back to back winning team title with guys from jersey.

Pitzer is on a different level and PSU could of made him into a monster. We will be average at Pitt.
District 4 wrestled amazing. Harer just wins. Seidel is going to be a monster for many years to come. He owned Gill.

Bradley’s celebration live was funny, but great to watch. Lots of work and emotion coming out

Pepe was great but the buzz was could he have beaten Gibson? Wish we could of seen that. I personally think Pepe would win but it would of been fireworks

Scottie Johnson had a great season. He is often overlooked and always gets it done.

Cheltos gets it done. Not sure why Reinsel didn’t kick forward. If Cheltos was at Easton he would not have placed four years in AAA.

Crookham-Saucon Valley to Notre Dame To Saucon Valley. Then wins his third. Damn I wish we got to watch Crookham vs Harer.

Harer just wins. His dad knows how to train wrestlers and his boys are studs. He had a lot to do with the Johnson boys too

Arrington is on a different level. He is very good. People were saying he is why Haines didn’t wrestle. First off Levi is way bigger but trust me he wasn’t worried about Arrington either. People find any reason to talk smack. Sickening really

Garcia with 9 losses gets it done. MacKay transferred to AA because they said it was easier. Well it’s not that easy, especially with the Green Ponders bring in hammers from NJ. Ask Little Gibson.

Rune is very good and I would of liked to see Levi wrestle here. It would of been hyped up. Haines would of won by MD. But nothing from Rune, he is good. Reminds me of Nickel.

Pitzer needs to forget about Pitt and come to PSU.
Riley Robell was too big and athletic, ending Little Johnson’s magical run. Johnson bumped from Pitzer and ran smack into another buzzsaw.

last little tidbit: this is eye catching.

2021 PIAA state Qualifiers
Wrestlers who transferred, moved, relocated to their school they compete for in HS. This was their Middle School district to their new Highschool district. This is eye opening and just quickly going over the brackets

It’s very interesting there are many wrestlers who switched schools and often times it to the better programs.

Ayden Smith Diedruff to Notre Dame
Brayden Hartrandt to Berk Cath
Guage Botero Souderton to Faith Christian
Brandon Wentzel Jersey Shore to Montoursville
Adam Schweitzer Bangor to Notre Dame
Chance Hontz Springford to Faith Christian
Kaden Milheim Mifflinburg to Warrior Run
Max Stein Central Bucks to Faith Christian
Brandon Cheltos Easton to Notre Dame
Bryson Vaughn Easton to Notre Dame
Cameron Milheim Mifflinburg to Warrior run
Cody Wagner Souderton to Faith Christian
Eren Sement New Jersey to Council Rock South
Cole Campbell Palisades to Bethlehem Catholic
Braxton Appello Fries Easton to Nazareth
Zander Phatorus Arizona to Waynesburg
Joe Simon Louisana to Waynesburg
Kollin Rath Pleasant Valley to Bethlehem Catholic
Pierson Manville Minnesota to State College
Rocco Welsh Beth Center to Waynesburg
Anthony Evanitsky Scranton to Wyoming
Ryan Crookham Saucon Valley to Notre Dame to Saucon Valley
Connor Harer Muncy to Montgomery
Jakob Gilfoil Central Dauphin to Bishop McDevitt
Luke Sipes Altoona to Charter School to Bishop McCort to Altoona
Dylan Granahan Northwest to Benton
Chris Vargo Charleroi to Bentworth
Evan Maag Bethlehem Freedom to Notre Dame
Cael McIntrye Easton to Bethlehem Catholic
Noah Teeter Forest Hills to Mt Plesant to Forest Hills
Easton Mull Somerset to Chestnut Ridge
Shawn Szymanski Plum to Burrell
Cooper Price Wilkes Barre to Wyoming
Micheal Duggan South Middleton to Boiling springs
Keegan Ramsey Plesant Valley to Notre Dame
Andrew Christie Conewago Valley to Bishop McDevitt
Luke Thomas Whitehall to Bethlehem Catholic
Grant MacKay North Allegheny to Laurel
Luke Moore Hyndman to Chestnut ridge
Holden Garcia Philphburg NJ to Notre Dame
Garrett Trettemer Philphburg NJ to Notre Dame
Owen Reinsel Clarion to Brookville
Riley Robell Central Dauphin to Bishop McDevitt
Tucker Paynter Big spring to Trinity
Luke Suglkaski colonel to Faith Christian
Korbin Kasper South Middleton to Bermudian Springs
Jake Van Dee Union City to Erie Prep
Chase Burke Northwestern to Benton
Cade Wirnsberger Lewisburg to Meadowbrook Christian school
Issac Lacinski Freeport to Burrell
Hunter Robison General McLane to Seagerstown
Hunter Forcelini Central Cambria to Forest Hills
Brandon Krul Mars to Quaker Valley
Tyler Kasak Central Bucks to Bethlehem Cath
Andrew Harmon Emmaus to Bethlehem Catholic
Vince Citrano Plum to Burrell
Matt Repos Palmyra to Central Dauphin
Dante Frinzi Quakertown to Bethlehem Catholic
Dustin Flinn Brockway to Forest Hills
Jude Swisher State College to Bellefonte
Nick foster East Stroudsburg to Nazareth
Tahir Parkins East Stroudsburg to Nazareth
Sean Kinney East Stroudsburg to Nazareth
Patrick Cutchember fox chapel to QuakerValley

Reactions: creamery freak
Arrington is on a different level. He is very good. People were saying he is why Haines didn’t wrestle. First off Levi is way bigger but trust me he wasn’t worried about Arrington either. People find any reason to talk smack. Sickening really
Who said this?

And do you really, seriously, think Pepe beats Gibson even if he grew to Gibson's weight?

PS, you track transfers? Great God, I thought I spent too much time on this.

Last edited:
My AA take:
It is so easy not to like the Notre dame coach, he is a clown but honestly must know how to play the game. He jumps around and acts like such a jerk
Back to back winning team title with guys from jersey.

Pitzer is on a different level and PSU could of made him into a monster. We will be average at Pitt.
District 4 wrestled amazing. Harer just wins. Seidel is going to be a monster for many years to come. He owned Gill.

Bradley’s celebration live was funny, but great to watch. Lots of work and emotion coming out

Pepe was great but the buzz was could he have beaten Gibson? Wish we could of seen that. I personally think Pepe would win but it would of been fireworks

Scottie Johnson had a great season. He is often overlooked and always gets it done.

Cheltos gets it done. Not sure why Reinsel didn’t kick forward. If Cheltos was at Easton he would not have placed four years in AAA.

Crookham-Saucon Valley to Notre Dame To Saucon Valley. Then wins his third. Damn I wish we got to watch Crookham vs Harer.

Harer just wins. His dad knows how to train wrestlers and his boys are studs. He had a lot to do with the Johnson boys too

Garcia with 9 losses gets it done. MacKay transferred to AA because they said it was easier. Well it’s not that easy, especially with the Green Ponders bring in hammers from NJ. Ask Little Gibson.

Rune is very good and I would of liked to see Levi wrestle here. It would of been hyped up. Haines would of won by MD. But nothing from Rune, he is good. Reminds me of Nickel.

Pitzer needs to forget about Pitt and come to PSU.
Riley Robell was too big and athletic, ending Little Johnson’s magical run. Johnson bumped from Pitzer and ran smack into another buzzsaw.

last little tidbit: this is eye catching.

2021 PIAA state Qualifiers
Wrestlers who transferred, moved, relocated to their school they compete for in HS. This was their Middle School district to their new Highschool district. This is eye opening and just quickly going over the brackets

It’s very interesting there are many wrestlers who switched schools and often times it to the better programs.

Ayden Smith Diedruff to Notre Dame
Brayden Hartrandt to Berk Cath
Guage Botero Souderton to Faith Christian
Brandon Wentzel Jersey Shore to Montoursville
Adam Schweitzer Bangor to Notre Dame
Chance Hontz Springford to Faith Christian
Kaden Milheim Mifflinburg to Warrior Run
Max Stein Central Bucks to Faith Christian
Brandon Cheltos Easton to Notre Dame
Bryson Vaughn Easton to Notre Dame
Cameron Milheim Mifflinburg to Warrior run
Cody Wagner Souderton to Faith Christian
Eren Sement New Jersey to Council Rock South
Cole Campbell Palisades to Bethlehem Catholic
Braxton Appello Fries Easton to Nazareth
Zander Phatorus Arizona to Waynesburg
Joe Simon Louisana to Waynesburg
Kollin Rath Pleasant Valley to Bethlehem Catholic
Pierson Manville Minnesota to State College
Rocco Welsh Beth Center to Waynesburg
Anthony Evanitsky Scranton to Wyoming
Ryan Crookham Saucon Valley to Notre Dame to Saucon Valley
Connor Harer Muncy to Montgomery
Jakob Gilfoil Central Dauphin to Bishop McDevitt
Luke Sipes Altoona to Charter School to Bishop McCort to Altoona
Dylan Granahan Northwest to Benton
Chris Vargo Charleroi to Bentworth
Evan Maag Bethlehem Freedom to Notre Dame
Cael McIntrye Easton to Bethlehem Catholic
Noah Teeter Forest Hills to Mt Plesant to Forest Hills
Easton Mull Somerset to Chestnut Ridge
Shawn Szymanski Plum to Burrell
Cooper Price Wilkes Barre to Wyoming
Micheal Duggan South Middleton to Boiling springs
Keegan Ramsey Plesant Valley to Notre Dame
Andrew Christie Conewago Valley to Bishop McDevitt
Luke Thomas Whitehall to Bethlehem Catholic
Grant MacKay North Allegheny to Laurel
Luke Moore Hyndman to Chestnut ridge
Holden Garcia Philphburg NJ to Notre Dame
Garrett Trettemer Philphburg NJ to Notre Dame
Owen Reinsel Clarion to Brookville
Riley Robell Central Dauphin to Bishop McDevitt
Tucker Paynter Big spring to Trinity
Luke Suglkaski colonel to Faith Christian
Korbin Kasper South Middleton to Bermudian Springs
Jake Van Dee Union City to Erie Prep
Chase Burke Northwestern to Benton
Cade Wirnsberger Lewisburg to Meadowbrook Christian school
Issac Lacinski Freeport to Burrell
Hunter Robison General McLane to Seagerstown
Hunter Forcelini Central Cambria to Forest Hills
Brandon Krul Mars to Quaker Valley
Tyler Kasak Central Bucks to Bethlehem Cath
Andrew Harmon Emmaus to Bethlehem Catholic
Vince Citrano Plum to Burrell
Matt Repos Palmyra to Central Dauphin
Dante Frinzi Quakertown to Bethlehem Catholic
Dustin Flinn Brockway to Forest Hills
Jude Swisher State College to Bellefonte
Nick foster East Stroudsburg to Nazareth
Tahir Parkins East Stroudsburg to Nazareth
Sean Kinney East Stroudsburg to Nazareth
Patrick Cutchember fox chapel to QuakerValley
Seidel to N. Lebanon

Where’s he going. That’s high motor guy you would want
Pitt. He used to rock Penn State head gear. Not sure if the interest was mutual, or he didn’t want to wait behind Kerk. I went to MP. My buddy teachers there, claims little bro is a stud, too.

Reactions: hlstone
Pitt. He used to rock Penn State head gear. Not sure if the interest was mutual, or he didn’t want to wait behind Kerk. I went to MP. My buddy teachers there, claims little bro is a stud, too.
This may have also been a Reverse Snyder situation -- in that it's well known he wanted to go HWT, but his best shot at PSU is 197. (Though he may have outgrown 197 by now.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT