ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023

Dam McScore, you got way more outta all this than I have ,but u may be overthinking it bud
Nah ... it's the offseason. I keep hearing people either say Beau will be another animal at 141 or he'll still be the same wrestler he was at 149 and not progress so I added my many thoughts.

Nah ... it's the offseason. I keep hearing people either say Beau will be another animal at 141 or he'll still be the same wrestler he was at 149 and not progress so I added my many thoughts.
I think he’ll be much better at 141, the weight really clears out nicely and he’ll win those close matches, I don’t see him being quite an animal , sign me up for a 6th place prediction if bracket breaks nicely

Reactions: SJP80 and Ski
I think he’ll be much better at 141, the weight really clears out nicely and he’ll win those close matches, I don’t see him being quite an animal , sign me up for a 6th place prediction if bracket breaks nicely
I think he'll be pretty similar stylistically (a bit more offensive) but like I said, I see a lot more close wins than close losses. We can't forget, he was hardly helpless at 149, he beat 2 guys in the R16 (Ogunsanya, Crooks), a R12 guy (Artalona) and a 2x AA (Parco)

Cass is back and until Kerk proves otherwise, he is 0/3 against him. Kerk has been getting closer but hasn’t gotten it done yet. I could see anyone of Parris, Cass, Kerk or Schultz taking it next year.
Out of those 4 very talented wrestlers one is trained by a staff that routinely pushes guy past the finish line. The other three not so much.
Just saying.

Out of those 4 very talented wrestlers one is trained by a staff that routinely pushes guy past the finish line. The other three not so much.
Just saying.
I definitely agree with that. I hope Kerk can get past Cass but I’m not betting on it like it’s a done deal yet.

Honestly one of the guys I’m most hyped to see next year is Robbie Howard. Has wins over Heinselman and Ragusin his true FR year and still has 4 years of eligibility left.

Cass is back and until Kerk proves otherwise, he is 0/3 against him. Kerk has been getting closer but hasn’t gotten it done yet. I could see anyone of Parris, Cass, Kerk or Schultz taking it next year.
That’s a reasonable take and I understand it. But another is that an injured Kerk MFF’d to 4th and would have very likely been third healthy while Cass was 7th. Kerk dominated the guy that dominated Cass.

With Penn State, you can’t look at the regular season and Big Tens and use that to predict NCAAs. See Cenzo and others.

That’s a reasonable take and I understand it. But another is that an injured Kerk MFF’d to 4th and would have very likely been third healthy while Cass was 7th. Kerk dominated the guy that dominated Cass.

With Penn State, you can’t look at the regular season and Big Tens and use that to predict NCAAs. See Cenzo and others.
Cass has peaked like most hawks after three years in their room.

Cass has peaked like most hawks after three years in their room.
You do realize, of course, that if things turn out in my favor next year, I'm digging this thread up just to rub a little salt in it, right?

There are a lot of reasonable takes in this thread, I will say that. Kerk v Cass..........your boy hasn't beaten our boy yet. Until that happens......

Z

You do realize, of course, that if things turn out in my favor next year, I'm digging this thread up just to rub a little salt in it, right?

There are a lot of reasonable takes in this thread, I will say that. Kerk v Cass..........your boy hasn't beaten our boy yet. Until that happens......

Z
Someone's gonna dig it up either way!

Z
Mike. I enjoy your posts over here. As a side note I haven't been banned from HR yet and I have enjoyed living in the Decorah, Iowa area for the last 32 years.
Last, I took a screen shot of Grip220's prediction from last year on HR.... I sure wish I new how to post that prediction!!! 😕

Reactions: Mike Zierath

Z
But will it have to even happen? It didn’t happen this year as Kerk placed three spots better than Cass.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUer1989
Right now I would say Cass number one and Kerk number two until he beats Cass. Either one of those two should be the next champ

Just saying.
I disagree. Cass's staff routinely pushes past the finish line, thru the tunnel and right into the trainers office....

Peyton Hall, Cardinale, getting Sullivan back and maybe Titus but not sure he breaks into the lineup.
Around the country, SVN, I’d like to see Brooks and Dean switch weights and see if both could win it again. Think that’d be cool. RBY. Spencer. Batista for iowa state. Andonian. The HWs. 165lb in general. Especially Keegan. I’d like to see the tOSU’s freshman all go if they’re the best at their weight. Too many to list.
Just one month has passed since Nationals in Detroit . . . and messages like this make me happy to think about the excitement we have waiting for us in October & November. It’s a long off season, but, this sort of banter is a fine way to start each day.

Where ‘bouts?
Get off I-90 at Peach St exit. John Russell Brewing is right off the exit. They open at 4:00. When are you passing through?

Reactions: backdrft76
Schultz will probably be #1 unless any of B1G heavies win all matches against the other two. Highly unlikely. Schultz won’t wrestle anyone all year. My guess on the seedings are Schultz, Kerk, Paris, Cass. I do think Kerk will have the measure of the other two B1Gs when it counts but none of them will go unbeaten.

iowa fans like to dream they still think AD is beating RBY ROFLMFAO

This might sound over analytical and even critical of Beau but this is not my intentions:

I believe Beau will fire off way more shots at 141 and even if he doesn't, just the size difference alone (and competition) will convert a lot of his 4-1 losses to 5-3 wins IMO. Here's where it might sound critical: I get the vibes the kid just kind of marches to his own beat, not saying that like it's a bad thing. To be honest, I thought it was telling he just kept wrestling 141 despite the fact it was clear Nick was the guy there (they did battle in the room) He didn't even want to wrestle 149 when it was clear that was his way to the postseason as a freshman. In a free year, he literally preferred to sit over wrestling 149 it seemed like. Cael had to publicly lobby for it. Then this year, I think he knew there was no way you can argue to challenge the returning champ and he went 149 for the team when it was clear Van Ness is hobbled. He used a year of eligibility for us so he is absolutely a team player (while also firmly believing in his individual goals, which is 141 champion)

To me, I feel he basically treated 149 as a warmup to his 141 career. I feel the kid is overly analytical as well (he was a Princeton commit before Penn State) I remember he literally was able to cite how many leg attacks he fired off and how many he converted cleanly, which is pretty impressive. He then further said compare my career 20 or so matches in to the careers of other Penn State hammers. That's just his mentality, it's a numbers game to him (which is why he stayed wrestling the same style despite Cael telling him to shoot more) This might be a terrifying comparison but for the Sixers fan here, it kind of reminds me of Ben Simmons, he only wants to make "analytical friendly plays"

But that being said, the kid never lost his smile and his body language was good. Once again, he went 149 for the team when he could asked for a redshirt so he's nothing like Simmons from that standpoint. I think the offensive mental barrier completely breaks the minute he goes 141 for us. His mind will tell him it's now okay to wrestle loose and freely. He was 138 his last year in high school and even said if needed, he could have dropped to 133 last year also. He simply is and never will be a 149 and I think he overthought that to be honest.
I think it is a little more simple. He needs to wrestle through positions and secure what’s there before going for more. Secure the escape when the reversal may be a stretch. Secure the takedown when going straight for backs may score zilch. Get the sure points and build on them. Don’t get 90% there and leave a door open while looking for something else. Not everyone can be Bo Nickal.

This applies regardless of the weight he goes. What Lovett did in the dual should never, ever happen. It was the epitome of why BB didn’t make it over the hump.

That may sound harsh, but tell me with a straight face that the Lovett incident and the no-escape calls vs. Van Elite and some other dude while locking eyes with the ref weren’t big deals. Maybe that stuff gets fixed during the off season. Either way, it has nothing to do with weight.

ADVERTISEMENT