ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023

Cstroke

Feb 10, 2019
Who are you looking forward to seeing and why?
I’m most looking forward to guys we haven’t seen yet.

Hawks fans educate us on your guys too..

1) Howard I think he’s going to be fun to watch.
2) SVN same reason as above.
3) Carter and Brooks this is normally the year our dudes start really beating up dudes.

non psu guys??

Most interested in how much Facundo has progressed. If he has worked on setups and finishing, and is even marginally better than he was when we last saw him, he'll be in a LOT of matches. If he's markedly improved, he'll be great.

The next thing is getting BB to be more active. SVN and Howard are both very offensive and will be great. I'm not worried about them at all.

Reactions: kevin310
Good morning, Sunshine.
I think we'll see the same Kerk next season (before his injury occurred). Fortunately there was come clearing at 285 and so he should likely finish near the top next year.
If he is fully healthy Kerk will be NCAA Champ next year. IMHO Schultz is the only barrier and Kerk is so much faster and athletic than him I think he handles him easily.

1.). Robbie Howard. I think he’s going to special. He had 3 matches and very limited practice before wrestling Big Tens and NCAAs as a true freshman. Can’t wait to see him two years later with four years of eligibility left.

2.). RBY. Cause I really hope we do!

3.) Beau at 141

4.) SVN and AF. What do we have?

5.) Ohio State recruits

6.) What Iowa does at 133. The Ayala I saw before getting hurt looked like a guy you want in the lineup. He also looked like a guy that could wrestle 133.

Last edited:
Cael has a pretty good batting average with Freshmen moving into the line-up. I'll be surprised if we're not improved at 125, 149, and 165 over last year.

He also has another year to figure out 157. I personally don't think we need to bring in a transfer. Someone is going to step up at that weight.

Reactions: hlstone
No worries. Just another 120+ pt National tournament performance. Could be 9-10 AA’s and could be Carl’s best team. Expect Haines at 157 just like NLee was five years ago after spending his senior year with the NLWC.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
This might sound somewhat pessimistic but since we're talking about "green" talent, here we go:

Main concern with SVN/Howard is their health. I believe they took off this year to be very cautious. Howard came in as a very raw prospect in folk and he scrambled his way to matches against AA guys like DeAugustino, Barnett, Lamont ... unfortunately still a loss but for a freshman who had like a month of mat time and now a year in the room? I'm very optimistic about where he'll be. SVN I'm relying on faith here but I trust my instincts regardless, he's just going to be good. That being said, 149 is officially a tough weight class now. Every AA from last year returns except Tariq Wilson and you sprinkle Brock Mauller (confirmed he's 149) back into the mix.

I believe in Beau at 141 but hopefully his time at 149 hasn't totally changed his style. My main concern with Beau is he never opened it up despite being clearly instructed to by Cael. I get he was doing what he thought he should do to win and gets in the zone in matches but him not progressing at 149 was somewhat concerning. I thought the Parco match was the one he needed to get over the hump. I actually think he looked worse in the Spring than the Fall tbh.

Facundo is somewhat of an enigma. He did very well against weaker competition (like D1 backups) so that's a good first sign. He did not look good against anyone with a pulse this year. He beat Barczak (low qualifier) and could have likely beaten Bullard if it wasn't for a freshman mistake. The loss to JM Best was a freshman mistake as well but he didn't notch a takedown either. But then he lost to Caleb Fish pretty handily IIRC. It's been discussed how the Olympics and the Norovirus pandemic in the Fall could have limited his opportunities so I remain optimistic. How he does at Junior Trials will be telling as well. Obviously if he wins the spot and then wins a world title ....

I suspect Haines will be in redshirt in the Fall and we'll get a look at how the 4 above does ...

If Kerk is healthy, I think he separates himself from Cass. Similar to what RBY did with Desanto.
Cass needs more weight room time. I don’t think the diet helped him out on the mat. Likely a good decision for his long term health after wrestling, but he missed that extra grown man weight.

Cass needs more weight room time. I don’t think the diet helped him out on the mat. Likely a good decision for his long term health after wrestling, but he missed that extra grown man weight.
Give me your 2023 All-Americans at 285, in order (if you don’t mind doing so).

I'll be surprised if we're not improved at 125, 149, and 165 over last year.

He also has another year to figure out 157. I personally don't think we need to bring in a transfer. Someone is going to step up at that weight.

Wow you are really going out on a limb there. Zero doubt we will be improve at all three weights next year barring injury. As for 157 - Levi will give us all a good dose of amnesia by his 3rd match.

Reactions: Ski and nitlion6
We scored 4.5 at 125, 149, 157, 165 in 2021
We scored 3.5 at 125, 149, 157, 165 in 2022

With 149 to 165 being weights we have historically done well at .... I can't imagine Cael is happy at all with that.

changing your weight around takes time, I think cass will improve.Look how Taylor looked when he gained weight, it took him a bit to make it work for him..

Give me your 2023 All-Americans at 285, in order (if you don’t mind doing so).
Is Gable done for sure? It’s pretty much wide open in my opinion if he’s done. Kerk, Parris, Cass, or Schultz winning would not shock me.

Reactions: csoult
Is Gable done for sure? It’s pretty much wide open in my opinion if he’s done. Kerk, Parris, Cass, or Schultz winning would not shock me.
Gable left his shoes on the mat. We've since learned Parris was pretty broken this past year, Cass was adjusting to a new body and then got injured and Kerk definitely had a lot of nagging injuries (MFF'ed his last match). Kind of hit the reset button but those are clearly the Top 4 you're right.

Heavy should be the Wild West this year, lots of athletic heavies.
cass has troubles with Paris, Parris has trouble with KeRw, Kerk has trouble with cases, Schultz ducks everyone

Reactions: baccafarmer
Peyton Hall, Cardinale, getting Sullivan back and maybe Titus but not sure he breaks into the lineup.
Around the country, SVN, I’d like to see Brooks and Dean switch weights and see if both could win it again. Think that’d be cool. RBY. Spencer. Batista for iowa state. Andonian. The HWs. 165lb in general. Especially Keegan. I’d like to see the tOSU’s freshman all go if they’re the best at their weight. Too many to list.

Except for a mistake in the last 5 seconds, I think Kerk has figured Cass out. Much like RBY and Desanto, no looking back now.
Did he though? Cassioppi was barely putting weight on his bad leg that match and found a way to win, mistake by Kerk or not. Until Kerk beats Cass, we can't say it's anything more than a tossup.

But that being said, he knows he can't go upper body with him and he found out how to get out of the thigh pry ride (perfected a roll) which were two things that hurt Kerk against him so anyone who actually think Cass has Kerk's number might be in for a surprise (so basically only Iowa fans)

Reactions: GantryZ
Really want to see what Nelson looks like at 74. He was clearly very undersized at 84, I think he can AA down a class. Schriever at 33 should also be interesting to see.
Do you think Nelson will be ready for next year? Thought he had Tommy John surgery? That's a really lengthy recovery for pitchers. Don't hear about it much in other sports though.

Kirk wins next time. His matches with Cass are trending in his favor IMO. I’ve seen this before.
RBY-Desanto
Kem-cstar
Eirman-Lee

No proof, just a feeling.
History shows Cael and crew get it done and Kerk will beat Cass. However, I'll approach with guarded optimism.

Others I'm looking forward to...

Hope Howard and SVN remain injury free.

Who steps up at 157?

CStar, Brooks, and Dean continue to wreck the field and become more dominant.

RBY making a surprise return for the Iowa match and demolishing their 133.

Does Beau become a force at 141?

Things I’m curious about heading into next season:

What a 4 punch combo of Robbie Howard, RBY (fingers crossed), Beau Bartlett, and SVN will look like as far as the damage they can inflict

If Levi gets the green light from Cael to go right away, do we have a murders row that basically includes the whole lineup?

Do Carter and AB start to show that Zain/Bo/Nolf level of separation from the field?

Can Joe Lee conquer the yips and return to form?

How does Max Dean’s notoriously difficult to score on nature and murderous reputation from the top position match up against AJ Ferrari’s athleticism and explosive scoring ability?

NCAA wise:

Can Spencer return at 100% and continue his dominance of 125?

How does Stanford fare without Real Woods?

How well can Sean Bormet fill the holes in Michigans lineup after losing Suriano, Micic, Brucki, and Amine amongst others?

Who are you looking forward to seeing and why?
I’m most looking forward to guys we haven’t seen yet.

Hawks fans educate us on your guys too..

1) Howard I think he’s going to be fun to watch.
2) SVN same reason as above.
3) Carter and Brooks this is normally the year our dudes start really beating up dudes.

non psu guys??
I want to see if Spencer is his same old self after double ACL surgery!

Z

This might sound over analytical and even critical of Beau but this is not my intentions:

I believe Beau will fire off way more shots at 141 and even if he doesn't, just the size difference alone (and competition) will convert a lot of his 4-1 losses to 5-3 wins IMO. Here's where it might sound critical: I get the vibes the kid just kind of marches to his own beat, not saying that like it's a bad thing. To be honest, I thought it was telling he just kept wrestling 141 despite the fact it was clear Nick was the guy there (they did battle in the room) He didn't even want to wrestle 149 when it was clear that was his way to the postseason as a freshman. In a free year, he literally preferred to sit over wrestling 149 it seemed like. Cael had to publicly lobby for it. Then this year, I think he knew there was no way you can argue to challenge the returning champ and he went 149 for the team when it was clear Van Ness is hobbled. He used a year of eligibility for us so he is absolutely a team player (while also firmly believing in his individual goals, which is 141 champion)

To me, I feel he basically treated 149 as a warmup to his 141 career. I feel the kid is overly analytical as well (he was a Princeton commit before Penn State) I remember he literally was able to cite how many leg attacks he fired off and how many he converted cleanly, which is pretty impressive. He then further said compare my career 20 or so matches in to the careers of other Penn State hammers. That's just his mentality, it's a numbers game to him (which is why he stayed wrestling the same style despite Cael telling him to shoot more) This might be a terrifying comparison but for the Sixers fan here, it kind of reminds me of Ben Simmons, he only wants to make "analytical friendly plays"

But that being said, the kid never lost his smile and his body language was good. Once again, he went 149 for the team when he could asked for a redshirt so he's nothing like Simmons from that standpoint. I think the offensive mental barrier completely breaks the minute he goes 141 for us. His mind will tell him it's now okay to wrestle loose and freely. He was 138 his last year in high school and even said if needed, he could have dropped to 133 last year also. He simply is and never will be a 149 and I think he overthought that to be honest.

Last edited:
This might sound over analytical and even critical of Beau but this is not my intentions:

I believe Beau will fire off way more shots at 141 and even if he doesn't, just the size difference alone (and competition) will convert a lot of his 4-1 losses to 5-3 wins IMO. Here's where it might sound critical: I get the vibes the kid just kind of marches to his own beat, not saying that like it's a bad thing. To be honest, I thought it was telling he just kept wrestling 141 despite the fact it was clear Nick was the guy there (they did battle in the room) He didn't even want to wrestle 149 when it was clear that was his way to the postseason as a freshman. In a free year, he literally preferred to sit over wrestling 149 it seemed like. Cael had to publicly lobby for it. Then this year, I think he knew there was no way you can argue to challenge the returning champ and he went 149 for the team when it was clear Van Ness is hobbled. He used a year of eligibility for us so he is absolutely a team player (while also firmly believing in his individual goals, which is 141 champion)

To me, I feel he basically treated 149 as a warmup to his 141 career. I feel the kid is overly analytical as well (he was a Princeton commit before Penn State) I remember he literally was able to cite how many leg attacks he fired off and how many he converted cleanly, which is pretty impressive. He then further said compare my career 20 or so matches in to the careers of other Penn State hammers. That's just his mentality, it's a numbers game to him (which is why he stayed wrestling the same style despite Cael telling him to shoot more) This might be a terrifying comparison but for the Sixers fan here, it kind of reminds me of Ben Simmons, he only wants to make "analytical friendly plays"

But that being said, the kid never lost his smile and his body language was good. Once again, he went 149 for the team when he could asked for a redshirt so he's nothing like Simmons from that standpoint. I think the offensive mental barrier completely breaks the minute he goes 141 for us. His mind will tell him it's now okay to wrestle loose and freely. He was 138 his last year in high school and even said if needed, he could have dropped to 133 last year also. He simply is and never will be a 149 and I think he overthought that to be honest.
Dam McScore, you got way more outta all this than I have ,but u may be overthinking it bud

Reactions: SJP80
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT