ADVERTISEMENT

2021 World Championships

Helen really torqued that shoulder. I think maybe the US women are so good on top because they train with US men with folk backgrounds. I've not seen any non-US woman run a bar.

Finish here, with Anshu prone and needing medical attention. was somewhat reminiscent of her third-match win over Jenna Burkert at the trials this year, where Helen's celebration was muted and put on hold by Burkert being crushed by the results.

...was somewhat reminiscent of her third-match win over Jenna Burkert at the trials this year, where Helen's celebration was muted and put on hold by Burkert being crushed by the results.
My thoughts exactly when I saw that.

I could be wrong here, but I also wonder if Anshu's unfamiliarity w/ that position comes into play at all. Or maybe she's very familiiar, I dunno--but I feel like folkstyle prepares you to be in those positions too, from a safety POV. She seemed to just hold her knees to the mat in a base freestyle defense pose, when maybe she should have bailed sooner. Maybe she just really didn't want to go over.

Reactions: tikk10
Helen really torqued that shoulder. I think maybe the US women are so good on top because they train with US men with folk backgrounds. I've not seen any non-US woman run a bar.

A lot of the US women (especially the ones over 25) also did folk in high school on the boys team, another avenue to learn them.

US men & women have been killing it with the bar arm this tourney, it may start to get scouted but let's ride the gravy train as long as possible.

Reactions: tikk10
I love our FS guys, but there ain’t a snowball’s chance in hell they jump in Greco go’s and win… especially in par terre.

Reactions: nerfstate
My thoughts exactly when I saw that.

I could be wrong here, but I also wonder if Anshu's unfamiliarity w/ that position comes into play at all. Or maybe she's very familiiar, I dunno--but I feel like folkstyle prepares you to be in those positions too, from a safety POV. She seemed to just hold her knees to the mat in a base freestyle defense pose, when maybe she should have bailed sooner. Maybe she just really didn't want to go over.
I like how Helen looked up at the ref with a face that said "don't you see what I see here"?

Congrats Helen!!!!!!

Painful to watch getting that shoulder torqued. I had rotator cuff surgery at the end of July and have new found respect for folks who have had shoulder issues. Humbling experience.

Reactions: dbldoofus
A lot of the US women (especially the ones over 25) also did folk in high school on the boys team, another avenue to learn them.

US men & women have been killing it with the bar arm this tourney, it may start to get scouted but let's ride the gravy train as long as possible.
Yep, and Helen is a good example of that as she wrestled folk thru her junior year in high school and placed 6th at the MD large school state championship against the boys. Not to mention that she did that at Colonel Zadok Magruder (I kid you not) High School, my Alma Mater. :cool:

G'Angelo Hancock was up 4-2 in the 79kg semi, but gave up a gut from par terre with about :40 left to go ahead on criteria. Hancock ran out of time and gas to get it back, so he'll wrestle for bronze.

Hancock up 3-0 at the break. 1pt passivity but couldn't score in par terre, then short time
TD.

Wow, Hancock was taking Oehler down to his back and Oehler injured his ankle and defaults. If you watch the replay and are Joe Theismann squeamish like me, don't watch the ending.

Hancock with the Bronze! Was in control all the way

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT