ADVERTISEMENT

2021 World Championships

We either need to import more coaches in Greco, or spend a ton more time overseas. I respect the hell out of our coaches in the US, but domestic prep and comp is not leading us to medals.

This ain’t earth-shattering news that I’m sharing. I just needed to vent.

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
We either need to import more coaches in Greco, or spend a ton more time overseas. I respect the hell out of our coaches in the US, but domestic prep and comp is not leading us to medals.

giphy.gif

In all honesty, we like to think of ourselves here in Happy Valley as having something special. So does Dagestan, I'm sure. But Japan, in WFS? Their B/C team is gonna just cruise to the team title. They have a 50pt lead.
Exactly. This isn’t even their B team. Some of the wrestlers might be their number 2 at couple weights but some of these Japanese girls might not even be the three for Japan at their weight. It’s crazy.

Adeline Gray said before the tournament that they can’t beat the Japanese second team but MIGHT be able to beat their number threes. This just proves to me that we can’t beat their threes and might be able to beat their fours.

If you look at the future we should continue to dominate the top two Olympic weights and most likely the top three WC weights. With Elor, Blades and Welker. It’s a shame those three will never make an Olympic team in the same year.
If TMS and Gray hang around til the next Olympics then it’ll be tough for any of the young ones to make the team.

TMS is interested in the WWE tho so maybe she won’t be around for the next Olympics. The WWE is also extremely interested in her as well.

We have nothing for their lighter weights tho. No threat at those weights at all. None. Zip. Zero

christ sry so long.

True. I think Chael had a good point when he said we need to take our third and fourth best guys in FS and have them wrestle Greco. S
He talked about how at the Olympic training center that some of the freestyle guys would jump in sometimes and wrestle the Greco guys in greco and just destroy them lol.

True. I think Chael had a good point when he said we need to take our third and fourth best guys in FS and have them wrestle Greco. S
He talked about how at the Olympic training center that some of the freestyle guys would jump in sometimes and wrestle the Greco guys in greco and just destroy them lol.
That's a good point, just think how good Bo N was at going upper body with guys and his counter defense would be just as lethal to score points.

That's a good point, just think how good Bo N was at going upper body with guys and his counter defense would be just as lethal to score points.
While that might give us a slightly more competitive GR team I don't think it's a long term solution. Is the #3-4 FS guy who thinks he's on track to be the #1 FS in the next cycle going to want to spend development time on GR? Are the guys focusing on GR see no future if a FS guy gets to step in?

Until/unless we have more GR interest and competition at all levels, we're not likely to get any more than a few medals here and there.

While that might give us a slightly more competitive GR team I don't think it's a long term solution. Is the #3-4 FS guy who thinks he's on track to be the #1 FS in the next cycle going to want to spend development time on GR? Are the guys focusing on GR see no future if a FS guy gets to step in?

Until/unless we have more GR interest and competition at all levels, we're not likely to get any more than a few medals here and there.
Do the freestyle tournament 6 weeks ahead of the Greco tournament, so our guys that don't place 1st could give Greco a shot.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Do the freestyle tournament 6 weeks ahead of the Greco tournament, so our guys that don't place 1st could give Greco a shot.
With how seldom we see senior level guys even trying (let alone succeeding) to do both, I don't think the transition between the two is as easy as some here are portraying.

Reactions: nerfstate
With how seldom we see senior level guys even trying (let alone succeeding) to do both, I don't think the transition between the two is as easy as some here are portraying.
I agree it would be pretty tough to train for both styles. My thoughts are you have some great wrestlers all vying for 6 slots in Olympic freestyle, that don't make it and could be better than our top Greco guys. We won't know until we try it out.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Yeah--people specialize in Greco for a reason--there may be some exceptions (I bet Dake would be a force, Coon), but for the most part, I don't necessarily agree that a FS focused guy is automatically going to be better at greco than someone who practices it exclusively. As least when you are talking about the best in the world.

Well the feed isn't working on Flo so we may miss seeing Maroulis wrestle for gold.

I 100% don't believe Chael, he says a lot of things that aren't true. Every time a high level FS guy (Dennis, Graff) enters a Greco tournament they get smashed. I'm not saying with the right training they couldn't compete for spots but FS guys can't just walk into a Greco room and destroy them at it. It's a completely different sport that requires a ton of training and technique.

Yep, it's just a Flo issue. I don't have any of those other services unfortunately...

It is much easier to go from Greco to freestyle than from FS to Greco.

It pretty well accepted that it usually takes an Olympic cycle or so for guys to transition from folkstyle to freestyle. So, yeah, I don't think many freestyle guys would be able to quickly transition and compete well internationally at greco. Perhaps a better strategy is to install folkstyle wrestling academies around the world. After a few decades, perhaps folkstyle will develop into an internationally-recognized style and overtake greco in popularity. :)

Reactions: lookleft goright
Nelson up now. Nelson with 1 pt stepout point.
Nelson with takedown up 3-0

Rough action, Nelson in pain and on injury time 2:26 left

Maya down in par terre, no score

Nelson gives up 2 TDs down 4-3 1:16 left

Nelson in on the leg at the end but can't convert. Left shoulder definitely limited her in the second.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw and tikk10
Beautifully executed lat drop in the 59kg final by Dudova (BUL) against Hanai (JPN), the difference there, ending 6-4. She was world silver in 2018.

Sorry Nova, just saw this--I don't think it's a streaming service--TV only, though I was watching w/ my Youtube TV subscription.
Yeah, I found it eventually but missed Maroulis match. Hopefully Flo has it on replay. I should have realized it was actually a TV channel since back in August I watched it a lot.

Yeah, I found it eventually but missed Maroulis match. Hopefully Flo has it on replay. I should have realized it was actually a TV channel since back in August I watched it a lot.
Watched it on Flo's replays. It's 1:22 long and skips time. In fact, the first two and a half minutes of the bout isn't there.

ADVERTISEMENT