ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Where do you think they get their information?
Which brings up an interesting point. I would imagine input on recruits comes from multiple sources. Probably far too many to list here and be 100% accurate. That’s why programs with great resources that can effectively evaluate all the input and then turn it over to excellent recruiters have a distinct advantage when prioritizing who they actually want to pursue. Even without present on field success being factored in one could surmise that Alabama is able to be more informed about a recruits potential than most other programs. Logically this would translate into fewer recruiting misses.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Which brings up an interesting point. I would imagine input on recruits comes from multiple sources. Probably far too many to list here and be 100% accurate. That’s why programs with great resources that can effectively evaluate all the input and then turn it over to excellent recruiters have a distinct advantage when prioritizing who they actually want to pursue. Even without present on field success being factored in one could surmise that Alabama is able to be more informed about a recruits potential than most other programs. Logically this would translate into fewer recruiting misses.
Yeah, or just get 15 of the top 100 recruits in the country each year.

Yeah, or just get 15 of the top 100 recruits in the country each year.
Do you think those 15 top recruits just showed up on the roster by accident? Assuming the worst of the program, there’s a host of great recruits that would like a new car, a phantom job for a parent or a nice bundle of walking around money. If that’s true, and I’m not denying the issue exists. They just seem through effective resource utilization and selection to do a better job of choosing the ones that are still willing to lay everything on the line after the goodies have been delivered. I don’t have to like what’s going on down there, but at times you have to give the devil his due. Texas and Texas AM probably have more money to entice recruits then Alabama, what’s missing that they aren’t as successful?

Do you think those 15 top recruits just showed up on the roster by accident? Assuming the worst of the program, there’s a host of great recruits that would like a new car, a phantom job for a parent or a nice bundle of walking around money. If that’s true, and I’m not denying the issue exists. They just seem through effective resource utilization and selection to do a better job of choosing the ones that are still willing to lay everything on the line after the goodies have been delivered. I don’t have to like what’s going on down there, but at times you have to give the devil his due. Texas and Texas AM probably have more money to entice recruits then Alabama, what’s missing that they aren’t as successful?
Oh A&M has been paying recruits plenty. They just get outbid a lot for the most elite guys. They learned a few things moving to the SEC. I'm not as sure about Texas. They just have squandered so much talent that it perhaps scared even $$$ seeking recruits off.

Where do you think they get their information?

Some of it the dream up, and some of it they exaggerate for the sake of getting some one to listen to their opinions.

And some of it is from their own evaluations of film. And I believe the Franklin and his staff are better evaluators, and one of the indications of the staff's evaluations relative to other offers and players they evaluate is how early in the process a player is offered, which is a reason that it seems that Franklin is pretty high on McGraw......

Sounds like you may believe that they get their information directly from the coaches, as if the coaches would be willing to tell them the details of their evaluations and where a player was/is on their recruiting boards for each position. They may have more contact with the coaches than the average fan, but I don't believe they get much detailed info from the coaches.

Last edited:

I don't believe Bama is more informed or better at player evolutions than Franklin and his staff. Bama right now just has more pull for players wanting to play for a MNC, and that includes about all the players coming out of H.S. The SEC is also a draw to some players, given the love fest ESPN has with it as well as the warmer weather in the south. Bama also will take lots of players that Franklin won't take for a number of reasons - academics, Franklin's preference to develop longer term family relationships with recruits and their families,.... Bama seems to be much more successful in offering the late bloomers down the stretch run for each class as well.

But Franklin has proven his evaluation skills many times, including when he identified Fields long before Fields had offers from SEC top teams.

So Bama goes after more of the top 100 players, and has success in bringing more of them into each class resulting in an overall higher level of player talent on average vs PSU.

How can Franklin close that gap while still being true to his priority of academics, developing early relationships with recruits/families, ....? Good question.

Last edited:
I don't believe Bama is more informed or better at player evolutions than Franklin and his staff. Bama right now just has more pull for players wanting to play for a MNC, and that includes about all the players coming out of H.S. The SEC is also a draw to some players, given the love fest ESPN has with it as well as the warmer weather in the south. Bama also will take lots of players that Franklin won't take for a number of reasons - academics, Franklin's preference to develop longer term family relationships with recruits and their families,.... So Bama seems to be much more successful in offering the late bloomers down the stretch run for each class as well.

But Franklin has proven his evaluation skills many times, including when he identified Fields before Fields had offers from SEC top teams.

So Bama goes after more of the top 100 players, and has success in bringing more of them into each class resulting in an overall higher level of player talent on average vs PSU.

How can Franklin close that gap while still being true to his priority of academics, developing early relationships with recruits/families, ....? Good question.
I never once said that Franklin isn’t doing a good job evaluating recruits. And I know that he labors under some constraints that are nonexistent in other places, especially some SEC programs. I never said he didn’t. I’m also aware that there are many things recruits see attractive in Alabama that few other programs can offer. Once again that’s not a Franklin shortcoming, and I never said it was.
I merely stated what anyone would find logical. Based on the sheer numbers of people Saban has at his disposal, and his apparently limitless financial resources the recruiting evaluation process is probably more in-depth and encompassing than what Franklin or most other coaches have available to them. Franklin would probably be the first to agree with the above. None of this means Franklin isn’t doing properly or well. It just means that the guy with far superior resources who knows how to maximize this strength will ultimately always have an advantage. This is a fact in virtually every human endeavor. And wins and losses on game days is one of the barometers of this advantage.

Does Saban miss on evaluating some recruits? Of course he does, but his resource advantages minimize these setbacks because he is able to sign so many other 5 and high 4* recruits for whatever reason they ultimately select Alabama. Or does this not make sense?

Reactions: SUPERTODD
I never once said that Franklin isn’t doing a good job evaluating recruits. And I know that he labors under some constraints that are nonexistent in other places, especially some SEC programs. I never said he didn’t. I’m also aware that there are many things recruits see attractive in Alabama that few other programs can offer. Once again that’s not a Franklin shortcoming, and I never said it was.
I merely stated what anyone would find logical. Based on the sheer numbers of people Saban has at his disposal, and his apparently limitless financial resources the recruiting evaluation process is probably more in-depth and encompassing than what Franklin or most other coaches have available to them. Franklin would probably be the first to agree with the above. None of this means Franklin isn’t doing properly or well. It just means that the guy with far superior resources who knows how to maximize this strength will ultimately always have an advantage. This is a fact in virtually every human endeavor. And wins and losses on game days is one of the barometers of this advantage.

Does Saban miss on evaluating some recruits? Of course he does, but his resource advantages minimize these setbacks because he is able to sign so many other 5 and high 4* recruits for whatever reason they ultimately select Alabama. Or does this not make sense?

You said in response to Bama getting 15 or the top 100 every year "They just seem through effective resource utilization and selection to do a better job of choosing the ones that are still willing to lay everything on the line after the goodies have been delivered." and that is what I was responding to.

And no, I don't believe Saban/Bama has better information on recruits than Franklin does. And I don't believe his "resource advantage" allows him to do better evaluations or is the reason he signs so many high 4 and 5 star recruits.

I believe he signs so many top recruits because he got to be a perennial playoff team by breaking and bending the numbers limits, by using their playoff appearances to attract more talent, that right now they have better facilities, and other reasons I listed in my original response such as academics.

You said in response to Bama getting 15 or the top 100 every year "They just seem through effective resource utilization and selection to do a better job of choosing the ones that are still willing to lay everything on the line after the goodies have been delivered." and that is what I was responding to.

And no, I don't believe Saban/Bama has better information on recruits than Franklin does. And I don't believe his "resource advantage" allows him to do better evaluations or is the reason he signs so many high 4 and 5 star recruits.

I believe he signs so many top recruits because he got to be a perennial playoff team by breaking and bending the numbers limits, by using their playoff appearances to attract more talent, that right now they have better facilities, and other reasons I listed in my original response such as academics.
Okay you have your opinion and I have mine. Historically all you ever want to do here is argue endlessly in dark ink about anything you disagree with. You may have the last word, if you choose because I’ve said all I care to on this subject.

Some of it the dream up, and some of it they exaggerate for the sake of getting some one to listen to their opinions.

And some of it is from their own evaluations of film. And I believe the Franklin and his staff are better evaluators, and one of the indications of the staff's evaluations relative to other offers and players they evaluate is how early in the process a player is offered, which is a reason that it seems that Franklin is pretty high on McGraw......

Sounds like you may believe that they get their information directly from the coaches, as if the coaches would be willing to tell them the details of their evaluations and where a player was/is on their recruiting boards for each position. They may have more contact with the coaches than the average fan, but I don't believe they get much detailed info from the coaches.
They get their information from their contacts, many of which are in Lasch. They don’t make it up. They are normally clear on when it’s their eval vs what they’re hearing.

If McGraw is on the two deep, I’ll be unlocking my car every time I fart.

Reactions: cjrugger
Okay you have your opinion and I have mine. Historically all you ever want to do here is argue endlessly in dark ink about anything you disagree with. You may have the last word, if you choose because I’ve said all I care to on this subject.

I respond about evaluations, and you respond about resources, to argue your point as if that was what I was responding to. And I'm arguing. Right.

Reactions: TheGLOV
They get their information from their contacts, many of which are in Lasch. They don’t make it up. They are normally clear on when it’s their eval vs what they’re hearing.

If McGraw is on the two deep, I’ll be unlocking my car every time I fart.

I don't believe McGraw will be on the 2 deep, and didn't say that.

I'm just hoping that between Mostella, McGraw, and whoever CJF may bring in between now and the summer that they can progress enough in the Winter S&C, Spring practice, and over the Summer to spell the top 4 in the event of injuries or in games when the D is on the field for extended periods and gets worn down. Top 4 DE's now competing to start would be Isaac, Tarburton, Vilbert, and Ebidetie. Hopefully there is at least one additional surprise at DE - another Portal player, a supposed DT moving to DE such as Vanover, who knows.

Last edited:
Jimbo Fisher is well on his way to cheating with the best of them.

The guy who intrigues me in the 2021 class as a hidden gem is Jeff Davis. I know he is being considered as a CB, but the videos of him as a WR remind me a lot of Jordan Norwood,

The guy who intrigues me in the 2021 class as a hidden gem is Jeff Davis. I know he is being considered as a CB, but the videos of him as a WR remind me a lot of Jordan Norwood,

Yep, isn't it sometimes lost in recruiting discussions of WR's how successful a WR can be if they can just run great routes and actually catch the balls that are catchable? Pretty much what Nowood did, and what Washington has a great start at doing for PSU.

That era of WR's may have been PSU's best....Jordan Norwood, Deon Butler, Derrick Williams, Graham Zug, Derek Moye, Brett Brackett. So many options.

I'll admit that I still believe that McGraw has a chance to see some snaps in 2021 as a true freshman at DE unless CJF brings in another experienced DE transfer. DE is a position that even with one incoming transfer does not have adequate depth to get through a 12 game regular season. Some outlets have put Liam Clifford into their actual first cut 2021 PSU depth charts, even though he is at a position that is loaded with young talent already on campus and his 247 composite is not quite as good as McGraw's. Isaac played DE as a true freshman with a physique of a LB with McGraw reportedly already looking the part of a DE. We'll just have to find out next Fall.....

Well written now free article on the trend to early enrollee's and the impact the early enrollee's have had at PSU the last few years. Posted here due to the summary of expectations for the 2021 class early enrollee's as well as the incoming transfers.....

I used to live around a mile from Spalding High School and saw those guys play a couple times. Obviously about 18 months since I've seen him play but he was about 6ft tall 170 then.

Which puts him on pace to be a starting safety. He is bigger than apke and Scott coming in.

Last edited:
Four CB's this morning for Rooks to UM. Three from UM insiders, and also Dohn.

Not a good sign............. :oops:

Which puts him on pace to be a starting safety. He is bigger than apke and Scott coming in.

Apke didn't start until Jr-Sr year and Nick Scott was a RB for about 3 years. Remember, the original comments that were back and forth had someone saying ZW was going to be ready year 1-2.

ADVERTISEMENT