ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Given the slew of verbals to other schools, can someone post who our top remaining prospects are for the class of 21?

We need a 3 star TE about as much as our players have needed their game jerseys the past month. Maybe special teams depth?

He is an interesting player. Looks like he is a very good hoops player, plays a fair amount of WR and TE, very fast, starts at LB. Ran several series at QB last week against Central Catholic. Probably closer to 215lbs. His dad is from Pittsburgh, played at Pitt, and had a nice run in the NFL. Probably worth a schollie...

We need a 3 star TE about as much as our players have needed their game jerseys the past month. Maybe special teams depth?

I agree, let Dinkins go to Pitt. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for Davis, say a prayer for Rooks and Jeudy, and hope we can catch a Hail Mary from a recruit who decommits from another school over the next couple of months.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I agree, let Dinkins go to Pitt. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for Davis, say a prayer for Rooks and Jeudy, and hope we can catch a Hail Mary from a recruit who decommits from another school over the next couple of months.
If the staff wants Dinkins, I want Dinkins. He may not be our highest rated recruit but how many times have we seen 3 star recruits outperform 4 and 5 stars once on campus? A 3 star on Rivals may not be a 3 star on Coach Franklins board.

Only hope this class has to be highly ranked is if the team goes undefeated and makes a playoff run and some of the surprise commits lose a lot more than they usually do.

It has been a frustrating year for recruiting to say the least. seems like some of the up and coming recruiters are keeping kids in state while the PA kids are bolting. No way North Carolina should EVER beat PSU for a recruit.

Hopefully the 2022 kids see that instant playing time could be possible.

If the staff wants Dinkins, I want Dinkins. He may not be our highest rated recruit but how many times have we seen 3 star recruits outperform 4 and 5 stars once on campus? A 3 star on Rivals may not be a 3 star on Coach Franklins board.
I say bring him aboard. He is very athletic and the coaches will find his best position.

No way North Carolina should EVER beat PSU for a recruit.

That's an overly simplistic way of looking at it.

Alabama fans probably think the same thing about us. But we've gotten kids that Alabama wanted. On several occasions.

Mack Brown is a national championship coach. While he's past his prime and probably won't sniff a natty at UNC, he can still sell early playing time and the opportunity to play for the home state and be part of something special. He hasn't had an opportunity to fail yet........that's his advantage at the moment. If UNC isn't a national power in a few years, then it'll be much harder for him to recruit at the same level he's recruiting now.

I know its hard to believe, but the 247 podcast guys were cautiously optimistic about George Rooks' upcoming announcement. Who knows, but maybe we get a good surprise for the first time in awhile

It would be nice. Just seems very unlikely. Rooks just got another FC from a Michigan insider a few days ago. All FCs and all CBs are for Michigan.

Why don’t we start recruiting against Shipp, Gettysburg or Villanova maybe we can pull a recruit from one of them just maybe we would have a chance

He is an interesting player. Looks like he is a very good hoops player, plays a fair amount of WR and TE, very fast, starts at LB. Ran several series at QB last week against Central Catholic. Probably closer to 215lbs. His dad is from Pittsburgh, played at Pitt, and had a nice run in the NFL. Probably worth a schollie...

Yep, Dinkins looks like a great athlete for his size. Hard to believe some here believe they can look at highlights or even an offer sheet and see themselves as a better judge of a player's ability to help PSU win football games than James Franklin and his staff....

o_Oo_Oo_O

Yep, Dinkins looks like a great athlete for his size. Hard to believe some here believe they can look at highlights or even an offer sheet and see themselves as a better judge of a player's ability to help PSU win football games than James Franklin and his staff....

o_Oo_Oo_O

True. Though this is very likely a case of extending a commitable offer to a kid who otherwise wouldn't have gotten one had our recruiting gone as expected -- or close to it.

But that's not to say that Dinkins doesn't have potential.

I've seen more than a few kids who were late "stretch" offers go on to have very strong careers. It happens.

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
True. Though this is very likely a case of extending a commitable offer to a kid who otherwise wouldn't have gotten one had our recruiting gone as expected -- or close to it.

I've seen more than a few kids who were late "stretch" offers go on to have very strong careers. It happens.

Yep, Bowers says hello. As does Kevin Givens, Drew Astorino, John Urschel, Adrian Amos, Alan Robinson, and many, many more.........

Didn't Shane Conlin get the last scholarship in his class?

Last edited:

Said the same thing about Journey Brown and RB depth...

Why don’t we start recruiting against Shipp, Gettysburg or Villanova maybe we can pull a recruit from one of them just maybe we would have a chance
Great point, it's worked in the past. The WR from 'Ship helped win the Orange Bowl and played on Sundays; the 'Nova transfer started, won the Sugar Bowl and the National Title; the kid we stole from Gettysburg was a glue guy that has his team(2012) on the sky boxes. I don't know why people think you're a troll.

Dinkins was offered in February. I'm not sure the staff sees him as a stretch.

I don't see an OL recruit "like Pounds" flipping. Not out of the question, but I believe it more likely that a more local OL recruit (PA/NY/NH/VA) that has already been to PSU and that is already familiar with the program and game day experience might reconsider and want into this class if the staff branches out their interest now that another target is committed elsewhere. Once a NC player commits to UNC I just don't see him coming north to a place he's not familiar with..........

Pure speculation, but maybe a player like Bennett Pitcher out of MA who already shows up as having a PSU offer and does not show up as "warm" to any program yet but still a decent offer sheet.........

Or maybe try and flip a Pitt OT commit such as Brandon Honorable out of MI that the staff's contacts in MI would know about. Although that would not be very honorable on his part to flip.......;);)

Or maybe CJF just takes the best available players to fill the class and with the slim pickens at OT just goes after 4 top 300 OT's in the 2022 class.

Bennett Pitcher committed to Harvard to play hoops back in June.

Great point, it's worked in the past. The WR from 'Ship helped win the Orange Bowl and played on Sundays; the 'Nova transfer started, won the Sugar Bowl and the National Title; the kid we stole from Gettysburg was a glue guy that has his team(2012) on the sky boxes. I don't know why people think you're a troll.

Ha, I've had Crusher on ignore and took it off to read his comment. I won't do that again

I believe so. Ryan Snyder has repeatedly said the staff values Dinkins more than most realize. He's the same size as Brenton Strange in HS and seems to also have the skillset to play SAM LB in space.

I'm not doubting the staff thinks he's worth an offer. I just figured that with a smallish class and higher priority TE targets on board at the time -- like the kid from Ohio that went to Wisconsin and the kid that went to Oregon -- coupled with our multi-TE commitments in both the 2020 and 2022 classes, we'd probably slowroll Dinkins. Now that most of our targets have committed elsewhere, there's less downside in taking a "plan C" type of TE recruit.

Unless of course we're looking at him to possibly play other positions. He's definitely a good athlete that could probably play a few different spots.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Ceasar
I'm not doubting the staff thinks he's worth an offer. I just figured that with a smallish class and higher priority TE targets on board at the time -- like the kid from Ohio that went to Wisconsin and the kid that went to Oregon -- coupled with our multi-TE commitments in both the 2020 and 2022 classes, we'd probably slowroll Dinkins. Now that most of our targets have committed elsewhere, there's less downside in taking a "plan C" type of TE recruit.

I don't think that means he won't be any good. But I'd bet the recent CBs are a reflection of the staff deciding now to put more pressure on Dinkins to commit.......and let's be honest, he'll probably say yes.

(no offense to Pitt)
I would guess the staff is not going to count on signing both Cross and the kid from Atlanta. If they both sign, awesome, but Friermuth will be leaving after this year so we are -1 TE, it makes sense to bring one in to replace him. Let the competition work it out.

I would guess the staff is not going to count on signing both Cross and the kid from Atlanta. If they both sign, awesome, but Friermuth will be leaving after this year so we are -1 TE, it makes sense to bring one in to replace him. Let the competition work it out.
Smart move for Staff not to count on either...long way off...long way from HV

o_Oo_Oo_O

Dinkins was offered in February. I'm not sure the staff sees him as a stretch.
A commitable offer, though? Or one of those "we're offering you a scholarship, but want to see X, Y, Z from you first" type of offers?

I'd speculate the latter, but I honestly don't know.
I believe so. Ryan Snyder has repeatedly said the staff values Dinkins more than most realize. He's the same size as Brenton Strange in HS and seems to also have the skillset to play SAM LB in space.
Yes, I was going to say the same. Fitz and Donohue have been saying all along that Dinkins is a take.

Is Rooks announcing today?

Gotta get this back on the first page..........

He was quoted as saying he wanted to commit before his senior season started... and well that season starts today. So there is a lot of speculation since he was near a decision that he will commit today to either Michie or PSU. I don't believe there has been anything official saying he would commit today though

Reactions: GregInPitt
He was quoted as saying he wanted to commit before his senior season started... and well that season starts today. So there is a lot of speculation since he was near a decision that he will commit today to either Michie or PSU. I don't believe there has been anything official saying he would commit today though

EDIT: So I read 4+ articles from Um writers and watched a Wolverine.com youtube vid from last night and the consensus is that PSU started making major inroads this Summer and the guy from W.com said PSU is in the lead. They seemed puzzled and felt he would be verbaling to UM. His sister played hoops there and he's been there tons of times. They said Rooks and his dad are very quiet-true introverts. They may be wierded out by Harbaugh and the vibe.

This Michigan writer thinks PSU has moved into the lead, but Rooks may be waiting until Dec. to decide.

Last edited:
I'm always skeptical of any prospect out of St. Peters Prep. Is the Head Coach that talked Brandon Winbush out of his commitment still there? Every year they produce 4 and 5* talent, but we've never been able to land anyone from that school.

EDIT: So I read 4+ articles from Um writers and watched a Wolverine.com youtube vid from last night and the consensus is that PSU started making major inroads this Summer and the guy from W.com said PSU is in the lead. They seemed puzzled and felt he would be verbaling to UM. His sister played hoops there and he's been there tons of times. They said Rooks and his dad are very quiet-true introverts. They may be wierded out by Harbaugh and the vibe.

This Michigan writer thinks PSU has moved into the lead, but Rooks may be waiting until Dec. to decide.

Reactions: bmw199

Interesting.

Would be a pleasant surprise. Perhaps it's also a case where the longer this drags out, the better for us. Waiting until December may benefit us -- give Scott a chance to further build a relationship?

Dinkins and NA versus Mt Lebanon on TV now. Channel 22, which is 510 on FIOS.

In 2nd quarter they put him at QB and he basically ran the wildcat. Big, athletic kid that does not go down easy.........

ADVERTISEMENT