ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Use that standard and apply it to your opinion. Facts are: 1. recruiting rankings, 10-15 and drifting downward.; 2. On field play 10-15th and holding steady (for now). Bottom line: not top 5-6 and not elite. Nothing wrong with that. But those are the facts (not an opinion).
So where is the golden ruler that determines one must be 5th in order to get "elite" status? Who says it isn't top 15? I missed that part of the fan manual. So you cannot be an elite coach without finishing in the top 5? So a teacher is only elite if every student tests as a genius? Ever hear about trying to make chicken salad without chicken? There are dozens of excellent coaches who spend their careers in obscurity, simply because they didn't get the big opportunity. Doesn't mean they are not elite coaches. Twist it any way you like, fan is short for fanatic. Their opinions are just that.

Last edited:
Well they can...and CJF seems to be working hard to get PSU to elite. But dies not mean he will get us there. Do you think others are not working hard? Perhaps they are just better. No shame in that.
Well, please feel free to recommend the coaches we should go get to replace CJF. Because we deserve to be elite.

So where is the golden ruler that determines one must be 5th in order to get "elite" status? Who says it isn't top 15? I missed that part of the fan manual. So you cannot be an elite coach without finishing in the top 5? So a teacher is only elite if every student tests as a genius? Ever hear about trying to make chicken salad without chicken? There are dozens of excellent coaches who spend their careers in obscurity, simply because they didn't get the big opportunity. Doesn't mean they are not elite coaches. Twist it any way you like, fan is short for fanatic. Their opinions are just that.
Look in the mirror pal. What is your standard? Everyone is elite if Marshall23 says so? How about using Franklin’s own self evaluation? Have we gotten better, worse or stayed the same since the 2018 OSU game?

No, but I had a career as a coach and an athletic director. It gives me some perspective of the profession....and I spent 37 years dealing with asshole fans.
That is not very nice language. But be that as it may. Happy to have a discussion with you. But name calling because they have a different view than you is very immature. 37 years? Time to grow up.

Well, please feel free to recommend the coaches we should go get to replace CJF. Because we deserve to be elite.
Who said anything about deserved? Relax dude. There are coaches out there better than Franklin. But CJF is better than most (results based). I am happy to have CJF and hope he can get us to the level that Joe had PSU for decades.

• Haha
Reactions: PearlandLion
Look in the mirror pal. What is your standard? Everyone is elite if Marshall23 says so? How about using Franklin’s own self evaluation? Have we gotten better, worse or stayed the same since the 2018 OSU game?
What is my standard? My standard says Franklin is an elite coach. I can't think of a coach that would be a better fit for PSU. He took a door mat in Vanderbuilt to 2 nine win seasons.....they haven't been there before or after. He resurrected PSU from draconian sanctions. Franklin is a competitor. As such, he is driven every day to be better.....he will always be critical of his performance, because he (like all great athletes and coaches) pursues the unachievable goal of perfection. Fanboys on the other hand, will never be satisfied, because they believe perfection is their birth right. It's all about those who are actually in the arena as opposed to those watching on tv or in the peanut gallery.

That is not very nice language. But be that as it may. Happy to have a discussion with you. But name calling because they have a different view than you is very immature. 37 years? Time to grow up.
LOL, the likes of you telling me to grow up. Pretty funny. At least you have average intelligence.....I didn't call you an $sshole fan.....you figured it out for yourself.

Reactions: Agoodnap
Who said anything about deserved? Relax dude. There are coaches out there better than Franklin. But CJF is better than most (results based). I am happy to have CJF and hope he can get us to the level that Joe had PSU for decades.
There are better coaches out there? Law of averages or guys you know?

SIAP:

Daily Collegian writer has some words for Franklin's 2021 recruiting effort...

James Franklin, once considered a top recruiter, has underachieved in the 2021 class, as the Nittany Lions have an embarrassing ranking disproportionate to their national prominence.

Sitting with the 34th ranked class in the country, Penn State is behind programs such as Mississippi State, NC State and Arkansas — all teams with losing seasons in 2019.

“The reality is that we have gone from an average football team to a good football team to a great football team,” Franklin said after the White Out loss against Ohio State in 2018. “We have worked hard to do those things, but we are not an elite football team yet.”

To get to being an “elite football team,” the Nittany Lions simply can’t obtain a recruiting class below seven other Big Ten programs.

So why is it so difficult to get high school players to don the blue and white uniform?

With a recent Cotton Bowl victory in its pocket and three 11-win seasons in the past four years, Penn State should produce top recruiting classes that compete with powerhouse programs like Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama.

Key word: should.

Penn State has proven since Franklin’s hiring that it is still not yet a national recruiter despite recent successes.

Hell, it can’t even recruit its own state properly.
Some of the best football minds in America write for the Daily Collegian.

Not sure what that is supposed to mean. CJF is beloved in my household. We support the team and attend every home game, many away games and bowl games. Does not mean Franklin can not be subjected to honest evaluations.
We get your point about 2021 recruiting but you are constantly harping on the same narrative. Must you repeat it at every opportunity? The constant drip, drip is annoying. You seem to tone things down when challenged and tell us how you love Franklin but it doesn’t come off that way. I am not opposed to honest evaluations but I wonder if you might be a clever troll with the constant negative drumbeat. Zips up fire suit.

Hmm, 3 out of 4 years in NY6 bowl games isn’t elite? Please list me any other coach that has achieved that who isn’t elite.
I look at elite a little differently.
I don't want this to come off as a slam on Franklin, but to me there are 2 elite coaches in CFB, and one is getting up there in years.
No one is doing what they are doing, and it is not even close. They are next level - elite
3/4 NY6 shows you are a consistent top 10 or so - that is too broad to be considered elite when toy look at the top 2.
Franklin is definitely in that next tier behind Dabo/Saban.

There are better coaches out there? Law of averages or guys you know?
Seriously my man... more name calling...and the ole: “ I know best with my 37 years of coaching, etc.” do you think you are tbe only person who ever coached a team or held some admin post? Grow up and learn to accept that others may have opinions that are different than your own.

Fan boy? Again, look in the mirror. You think Ohio State would trade Day for Franklin? Alabama going to take CJF over Saban? James over Dabo? Kelly for CJF? Lincoln Riley? There are others. James is right up there and hopefully he gets us over the hump. He has a ways to go and the hill is getting a bit steeper.

Try some decaf. If you don’t want to have a civil discussions and want everyone to just echo your opinion, then give a soliloquy to your own family.

We get your point about 2021 recruiting but you are constantly harping on the same narrative. Must you repeat it at every opportunity? The constant drip, drip is annoying. You seem to tone things down when challenged and tell us how you love Franklin but it doesn’t come off that way. I am not opposed to honest evaluations but I wonder if you might be a clever troll with the constant negative drumbeat. Zips up fire suit.
I don’t think I tone things down. Happy to be challenged and have a civil discussion.

Name calling? Not cool. Clever? Hardly.

And my point is not about 2021 but that overall recruiting that is starting to slide. Even 2022 that everyone seems so optimistic about is not likely to get to where James wants to be. Going to need some Lavar-type athletes. And need to keep a good portion of local talent home. Need to start getting some top flight talent out of Ohio.

I have a honest question:

From the day Joe Paterno became head football coach at PSU, how many seasons/years did it take for him to win his 1st or Penn State's first national championship?

Don't count any "well if Nixon this" or "We were the best team but voters didn't see it that way".

Actual, factual #1 voting only. No NY Times polls either.

So just how many years was it/did it take?

Thank you!
How many years to go undefeated?

Reactions: TheGLOV
I don’t think I tone things down. Happy to be challenged and have a civil discussion.

Name calling? Not cool. Clever? Hardly.

And my point is not about 2021 but that overall recruiting that is starting to slide. Even 2022 that everyone seems so optimistic about is not likely to get to where James wants to be. Going to need some Lavar-type athletes. And need to keep a good portion of local talent home. Need to start getting some top flight talent out of Ohio.
Did not mention name calling. Isn’t Parsons a Lavar type athlete? Drip, Drip, .......

Seriously my man... more name calling...and the ole: “ I know best with my 37 years of coaching, etc.” do you think you are tbe only person who ever coached a team or held some admin post? Grow up and learn to accept that others may have opinions that are different than your own.

Fan boy? Again, look in the mirror. You think Ohio State would trade Day for Franklin? Alabama going to take CJF over Saban? James over Dabo? Kelly for CJF? Lincoln Riley? There are others. James is right up there and hopefully he gets us over the hump. He has a ways to go and the hill is getting a bit steeper.

Try some decaf. If you don’t want to have a civil discussions and want everyone to just echo your opinion, then give a soliloquy to your own family.
Ryan Day. LOL. one

Ryan Day? LOL.. 1 year with Urban's team. Yeah, he's "elite." I'm not interested in a discussion about football with the likes of you. I interact with dozens of guys everyday who know from experience, what the game is about. I certainly am not the only one who has coached the game, I merely responded to your " who are you, Sandy B.?" You asked...and I gave you the facts. Now run along and play with the other fan boys who like to pretend they can help Coach Frankin with their football genuis.

Reactions: Choochburg
I look at elite a little differently.
I don't want this to come off as a slam on Franklin, but to me there are 2 elite coaches in CFB, and one is getting up there in years.
No one is doing what they are doing, and it is not even close. They are next level - elite
3/4 NY6 shows you are a consistent top 10 or so - that is too broad to be considered elite when toy look at the top 2.
Franklin is definitely in that next tier behind Dabo/Saban.
So, out of 130 FBS coaches only 2 are elite? Really?

Reactions: TheGLOV
So, out of 130 FBS coaches only 2 are elite? Really?

To Saban and Dabo, I'd actually add Lincoln Riley and possibly Kirby Smart. Possibly.

Sure, Riley benefits from a crap conference and has yet to win a bowl game. But you can't argue with 3 straight CFP appearances. And the way he's recruiting -- with Rattler looking the part and Caleb Williams coming in -- I see no end in sight.

Smart damn near won a natty already, and recruits about as well as anybody. Granted, their bagmen are working OT these days. But you could make a case that he's in that elite category.

As for Ryan Day........time will tell if he's the second Coker or the second Urban Meyer. It's just too early to tell. Still early, IMO, as to where Orgeron fits.

Who else is really "elite"? I'd rank CJF as high as anybody else in the country other than those four.

Last edited:
Did you consider Joe to be an elite Big10 coach? I certainly didn’t. I think Franklin is the best head coach we’ve had since the joining the Big10. If you are holding Frankin up to the standard Joe established before joining the Big10 then you have to hold Joe up to that standard as well. Neither reach the mark.
As was stated elsewhere in this thread, Saban and Swinney are the top two coaches in the nation. Franklin is clearly in that next tier, which is a step above where Harbaugh would end up. If we are saying the elite tier consists of two coaches, I’d probably agree with that. Urban would belong there if he were still coaching (and will belong there again whenever he returns). I wouldn’t put Franklin in the mythical “elite” tier at this point but he is the most likely to push into that tier of guys on the outside.

Last edited:
Did you have considered Joe to be an elite Big10 coach? I certainly didn’t. I think Franklin is the best head coach we’ve had since the joining the Big10. If you are holding Frankin up to the standard Joe established before joining the Big10 then you have to hold Joe up to that standard as well. Neither reach the mark.
As was stated elsewhere in this thread, Saban and Swinney are the top two coaches in the nation. Franklin is clearly in that next tier, which is a step above where Harbaugh would end up. If we are saying the elite tier consists of two coaches, I’d probably agree with that. Urban would belong there if he were still coaching (and will belong there again whenever he returns). I wouldn’t put Franklin in the mythical “elite” tier at this point but he is the most likely to push into that tier of guys on the outside.

In my view, that '97 beatdown against Michigan was the moment in which Joe began to fade from the "elite". One could even argue the '95 season was the beginning of the end, though we rebounded well in '96 and were a national favorite for much of '97 before Michigan exposed us.

But one thing is for sure. CJF has us performing better than we've performed since the mid-90s -- with the single season exception of 2005.

Do I expect CJF to ever do what Joe did from '68 to '86? No. That's a level of "elite" that very few coaches in history have ever experienced. But Franklin has us in a pretty good place.

In my view, that '97 beatdown against Michigan was the moment in which Joe began to fade from the "elite". One could even argue the '95 season was the beginning of the end, though we rebounded well in '96 and were a national favorite for much of '97 before Michigan exposed us.

But one thing is for sure. CJF has us performing better than we've performed since the mid-90s -- with the single season exception of 2005.

Do I expect CJF to ever do what Joe did from '68 to '86? No. That's a level of "elite" that very few coaches in history have ever experienced. But Franklin has us in a pretty good place.
That’s fair. Tough to factor in the shitshow Franklin walked into, but I think it has to count for something.

so just to recap recruiting for 2021.....the players in Pennsylvania high schools aren't any good and we can't land any of them?🤔

Where’s the 2021 Recruiting Class Thread gone?

giphy.gif

Ross Tucker:

Penn State's 2021 recruiting class is "objectively not good enough...it's not good enough They're having a terrible 2021 recruiting class in the state of Pennsylvania. For them to get where they want to go - the college football playoff - (their Pennsylvania recruiting) has to be better."

Reactions: MacNit07
Did not mention name calling. Isn’t Parsons a Lavar type athlete? Drip, Drip, .......
Not referring to you.

Parsons is not Lavar. But he is the type of talent we will need. But not one everyone couple of years. A couple every year. Like O$U, Bama, Clemson...and Penn State circa Joe Paterno.

Did you consider Joe to be an elite Big10 coach? I certainly didn’t. I think Franklin is the best head coach we’ve had since the joining the Big10. If you are holding Frankin up to the standard Joe established before joining the Big10 then you have to hold Joe up to that standard as well. Neither reach the mark.
Up until 2000, Joe was certainly an elite Coach...not just in Big10, but in NCAA (how do you think he amassed the records he did?). Agree with you that CJF could get into upper tier. But he has work to do - both in recruiting and coaching.

Ross Tucker:

Penn State's 2021 recruiting class is "objectively not good enough...it's not good enough They're having a terrible 2021 recruiting class in the state of Pennsylvania. For them to get where they want to go - the college football playoff - (their Pennsylvania recruiting) has to be better."
This guy must be a “ fan boy.”

Ryan Day. LOL. one

Ryan Day? LOL.. 1 year with Urban's team. Yeah, he's "elite." I'm not interested in a discussion about football with the likes of you. I interact with dozens of guys everyday who know from experience, what the game is about. I certainly am not the only one who has coached the game, I merely responded to your " who are you, Sandy B.?" You asked...and I gave you the facts. Now run along and play with the other fan boys who like to pretend they can help Coach Frankin with their football genuis.
Oh I forgot, you know so much about football that no others are worthy of discussion. Give us all a break. I have plenty of conversations with people with football knowledge AND who can objectively evaluate results (not wishing upon a star).

As for Day, time will tell. But he is running circles around Frankin in the recruiting trails. And he has lost exactly 1 game to date. The scary part is as the talent gap widens so will the results on the field.

Up until 2000, Joe was certainly an elite Coach...not just in Big10, but in NCAA (how do you think he amassed the records he did?). Agree with you that CJF could get into upper tier. But he has work to do - both in recruiting and coaching.
James Franklin has had them ranked in the end of year top ten 3 of the last 4 seasons, matching the best run Paterno had while coaching in the Big 10. That run occurred in Penn State’s first 4 years in the Big 10. If Joe was an elite coach in the 90s then Franklin is right now.

ADVERTISEMENT