ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

I think most people who view the program objectively realize that we are not yet an elite team YET. However, the constant harping that we aren’t elite is getting old and counterproductive. Some have clung to the elite statement like a dog with a bone. If recruits read this site what message does that send ? Other teams are not elite as well but do not endure the constant “not elite” messaging we self inflict upon ourselves. Let it go.
And some are elite...just not PSU...yet...but sitting out a year sure won’t help...

One can choose to look at the ranking during and immediately upon completion of a recruiting class........or we can wait until they actually contribute and careers are complete. I'm not interested in 5 stars that end up flops .....Slade and Shorter gave certain folks chubbies.......LOL what does that top ranking earn you?
We are on the wrong side of the law of averages...and starting to trend Ever so slightly in the wrong direction.

Reactions: ST8FAN
If Nolan wants to go play with his brother, I don't see where that is out of the ordinary. Parents make one trip and support both sons. The decision may be flawed if the elder son is not happy riding the pines. I don't know how the father plays into (or if he does) the decision. There is that ugly Corbett tie.

And some are elite...just not PSU...yet...but sitting out a year sure won’t help...
I'm getting to detest the word "elite." Top ten finishes and New Year's Bowl Games are a pretty solid resume. Frankly, being top 7 and not getting to compete bothers me more than not landing some 5 star (regardless of who his parents are or where he comes from). Having a player dismissed for violation of rules and drug charges on others tends to get more attention from me. Back to recruiting.....it seems we've got one great OL prospect in 2021 and one already 2022...of all the things that could keep me up at night, recruiting is not one of them.

I believe that will take us to 84 as we were at 85.

Pearl, would the loss of Parsons then put us at 83? I try to keep up with the scholarship roster (not very well, most of the time :(), but I had us at 85 before Micah opted out.

I understand whatever # I have is totally irrelevant, but it gives me something "football-ish" to think about. 😷

Pearl, would the loss of Parsons then put us at 83? I try to keep up with the scholarship roster (not very well, most of the time :(), but I had us at 85 before Micah opted out.

I understand whatever # I have is totally irrelevant, but it gives me something "football-ish" to think about. 😷
Subtracting those two guys from this list, yes it would be 83.

It's a recruiting thread. Yes, I do post when CB predictions for our recruits are posted. Nobody claimed I was a prophet. Only you said that.

Frankly, I scratch my head in wonder why people come to this board to insult fellow PSU fans. But whatever gets you off.

The guy is a dimwitted pain in the ass and all he does is insult people poorly. I'm certain he isn't a PSU grad, probably drives a delivery truck

Reactions: TheGLOV
I'm getting to detest the word "elite." Top ten finishes and New Year's Bowl Games are a pretty solid resume. Frankly, being top 7 and not getting to compete bothers me more than not landing some 5 star (regardless of who his parents are or where he comes from). Having a player dismissed for violation of rules and drug charges on others tends to get more attention from me. Back to recruiting.....it seems we've got one great OL prospect in 2021 and one already 2022...of all the things that could keep me up at night, recruiting is not one of them.
Recruiting doesn't keep me up at night either, but I understand - as do Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State (you know, the teams that win National Championships) - that recruiting matters if you want to be elite. If you are content with being "solid" (your term), then Penn State's recruiting is just fine. It all depends upon your expectations.

Recruiting doesn't keep me up at night either, but I understand - as do Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State (you know, the teams that win National Championships) - that recruiting matters if you want to be elite. If you are content with being "solid" (your term), then Penn State's recruiting is just fine. It all depends upon your expectations.
I'm very content with the program and thankful for top 10 finishes and News Years Bowl invites most years. Elite is a word that I'm sick of hearing. I hope PSU recruits good athletes who graduate and keep their noses clean. I"m hopeful they will go on to productive lives and contribute to society. Always be competitive and in the conversation. I'm starting to gag every time I hear fan boys cry to be elite. We are not going to be Alabama and I'm not sure I want to be (I speak only for myself).

I'm very content with the program and thankful for top 10 finishes and News Years Bowl invites most years. Elite is a word that I'm sick of hearing. I hope PSU recruits good athletes who graduate and keep their noses clean. I"m hopeful they will go on to productive lives and contribute to society. Always be competitive and in the conversation. I'm starting to gag every time I hear fan boys cry to be elite. We are not going to be Alabama and I'm not sure I want to be (I speak only for myself).

I won't lie. If you were to tell me that we'll have 6-8 top-10 finishes over the next decade -- and win a Big Ten title or two -- but fail to win a national title, I'd still be pretty happy.

Would I like to do what Joe did in the 70s and 80s? Of course. And I'm pretty sure Franklin and staff fully recognize the value of recruiting and want to be "elite". Probably more than any fan on this board.

But as far as I can tell, he's doing things the right way. Our recruits aren't driving around in top-dollar sports cars or beating up women or making a mockery of academics. And while those aren't mutually exclusive -- being elite and being clean/respectable -- I think we're all aware of the reality of the matter.

Oh.....and we're actually getting pretty damn good talent, even if the 2021 class slipped. 2022 looks poised to add a few heavily-recruited defenders pretty soon to add to what is already becoming a very, very strong class.

I won't lie. If you were to tell me that we'll have 6-8 top-10 finishes over the next decade -- and win a Big Ten title or two -- but fail to win a national title, I'd still be pretty happy.

Would I like to do what Joe did in the 70s and 80s? Of course. And I'm pretty sure Franklin and staff fully recognize the value of recruiting and want to be "elite". Probably more than any fan on this board.

But as far as I can tell, he's doing things the right way. Our recruits aren't driving around in top-dollar sports cars or beating up women or making a mockery of academics. And while those aren't mutually exclusive -- being elite and being clean/respectable -- I think we're all aware of the reality of the matter.

Oh.....and we're actually getting pretty damn good talent, even if the 2021 class slipped. 2022 looks poised to add a few heavily-recruited defenders pretty soon to add to what is already becoming a very, very strong class.
Everyone likes to win.....but no one wants to win more than the coaches and players. I'm a 60 year fan with my first attended game in 1966....so I will always be a Success with Honor fan. I respect James Franklin, and it appears to me he is this generation's version of Joe. Some fans want to win at all costs....the best place for that attitude is the NFL (IMO).

As another long-time fan, I grew up with Penn State being able to do all of the things you suggest AND win national championships. You know, success with honor. As a huge fan of Joe and all that he accomplished (heck maybe it's Joe's fault for spoiling all of us!), I don't think it's wrong to expect Franklin to strive for both and not just settle for one or the other.

As another long-time fan, I grew up with Penn State being able to do all of the things you suggest AND win national championships. You know, success with honor. As a huge fan of Joe and all that he accomplished (heck maybe it's Joe's fault for spoiling all of us!), I don't think it's wrong to expect Franklin to strive for both and not just settle for one or the other.
I thought I covered that when I said "no one wants to win more than the players and the coaches." I didn't think I said anything that would suggest that James Franklin is settling for anything. Furthermore, what I or you think or hope for as fans, has absolutely nothing to do with what happens on the field.

Longtime PSU fan as well and remember the 2 national titles pretty clearly. I think a lot of people have foggy memories. Joe played a garbage schedule most of his best years with maybe 2-3 quality opponents. He did this in an era when college football had just a dozen or so great programs with the majority being mediocre at best. Squeakers over bad Maryland and Navy teams with some terrible losses to teams like Rutgers could be expected every few seasons.
His recruiting classes were all very strong until the late 80’s and took a sharper downward turn after joining the Big Ten.
We’ll look back someday at the 2016-2020 years and long for the good ole days.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGLOV and Chris92
Longtime PSU fan as well and remember the 2 national titles pretty clearly. I think a lot of people have foggy memories. Joe played a garbage schedule most of his best years with maybe 2-3 quality opponents. He did this in an era when college football had just a dozen or so great programs with the majority being mediocre at best. Squeakers over bad Maryland and Navy teams with some terrible losses to teams like Rutgers could be expected every few seasons.
His recruiting classes were all very strong until the late 80’s and took a sharper downward turn after joining the Big Ten.
I grew up in the Coal Regions of Pa. (just outside of Shamokin). I don't really remember much about Rip Engle , but I did play college ball for Bernie Sabol (a Coal Township and PSU star). I don't think any true PSU fan has anything to bitch about Joe or James. We are blessed to have had both. Some people wouldn't be happy if they hit the mega millions because they'd have to pay taxes.

I believe his bowl record shows that many of Joe’s teams were very very good teams. You don’t win those games with mediocre teams. Especially when you compare other teams of the era. In his hay day PSU was playing major bowl games.... not the Astro-bluebonnet bowl.

I have a honest question:

From the day Joe Paterno became head football coach at PSU, how many seasons/years did it take for him to win his 1st or Penn State's first national championship?

Don't count any "well if Nixon this" or "We were the best team but voters didn't see it that way".

Actual, factual #1 voting only. No NY Times polls either.

So just how many years was it/did it take?

Thank you!

From the day Joe Paterno became head football coach at PSU, how many seasons/years did it take for him to win his 1st or Penn State's first national championship?

Don't count any "well if Nixon this" or "We were the best team but voters didn't see it that way".

Thank you!

Thank you!
15 years?

15 or 17 years that’s ridiculous, in hindsight it’s now obvious that he should have been fired in the mid 70’s.

I thought I covered that when I said "no one wants to win more than the players and the coaches." I didn't think I said anything that would suggest that James Franklin is settling for anything. Furthermore, what I or you think or hope for as fans, has absolutely nothing to do with what happens on the field.
I think Franklin has done a remarkable job. And he himself has said that he wants to be elite and do things the right way.

As a fan, you've lowered your expectations and are satisfied with a "solid" program (your words). That's OK.

Other fans want what Joe did and Franklin strives for: championships with honor. And that's OK, too.

Thank you!

Obviously, Glove, you know the answer already. However, I don’t agree with the premise of your question. Here why ...

1. for NCAA FBS schools, the national championship has long been considered a “mythical” one. There is no legit playoff, not even the current system.

2. In 1968, 69, 73, and 94, Penn State played a national schedule, won every game, tied none including Bowl games versus conference champions.

3. Even today‘s system, granted a shift to more legitimacy than in the past, is still mostly a “beauty contest.” It is improbable, perhaps, but certainly plausible that we could have 5 conference champs be undefeated and untied, along with your favorite team Notre Dame making a 6th. Yet only 4 will be deemed “pretty enough” to make the playoff.

4. In Joe’s early career, Penn State was an Eastern “ugly duckling,” despite playing tougher schedules. Those unbeaten, untied squads really weren’t all that close in the voting for #1 primarily because of its location.

5. I equate what happened to PSU in those days to what happened to Ted Williams a few times. Ted hit .406 and finished 2nd for MVP. In 1942 and in 1947, Williams won the coveted Triple Crowns ... yet again finished #2 for MVP. To claim he wasn’t genuinely worthy of earning MVP in those 3 seasons is disingenuous.

6. Had PSU not been able to get a shot at Georgia in 1982 or Miami in 1986, the Nittany Lions would be without a “recognized “ national title. Georgia might have beaten a lesser team in 82 and Miami surely would have.

7. Thus, objective CFB fans — and especially Penn State fans — should readily acknowledge that PSU has every right to consider its 68, 69, 73, and 94 squads worthy of being ”mythical “ national champions.

Obviously, Glove, you know the answer already. However, I don’t agree with the premise of your question. Here why ...

1. for NCAA FBS schools, the national championship has long been considered a “mythical” one. There is no legit playoff, not even the current system.

2. In 1968, 69, 73, and 94, Penn State played a national schedule, won every game, tied none including Bowl games versus conference champions.

3. Even today‘s system, granted a shift to more legitimacy than in the past, is still mostly a “beauty contest.” It is improbable, perhaps, but certainly plausible that we could have 5 conference champs be undefeated and untied, along with your favorite team Notre Dame making a 6th. Yet only 4 will be deemed “pretty enough” to make the playoff.

4. In Joe’s early career, Penn State was an Eastern “ugly duckling,” despite playing tougher schedules. Those unbeaten, untied squads really weren’t all that close in the voting for #1 primarily because of its location.

5. I equate what happened to PSU in those days to what happened to Ted Williams a few times. Ted hit .406 and finished 2nd for MVP. In 1942 and in 1947, Williams won the coveted Triple Crowns ... yet again finished #2 for MVP. To claim he wasn’t genuinely worthy of earning MVP in those 3 seasons is disingenuous.

6. Had PSU not been able to get a shot at Georgia in 1982 or Miami in 1986, the Nittany Lions would be without a “recognized “ national title. Georgia might have beaten a lesser team in 82 and Miami surely would have.

7. Thus, objective CFB fans — and especially Penn State fans — should readily acknowledge that PSU has every right to consider its 68, 69, 73, and 94 squads worthy of being ”mythical “ national champions.

Great points Bob.

I honestly did not know that answer.

Just pointing out that we need to give Coach Franklin a chance.

Reactions: PearlandLion
Did he not just vist PSU a month ago- was it the kiss off or saying I am coming to PSU, we will see. Good luck to him wherever he lands.

He did. He also said "#WeAre" at the end. Sorry but don't add that if you "#WontBe". This is forever decision. This is the school that produced Deandre Levy who was happy to break "dirtbag" Paterno's leg.

He did. He also said "#WeAre" at the end. Sorry but don't add that if you "#WontBe". This is forever decision. This is the school that produced Deandre Levy who was happy to break "dirtbag" Paterno's leg.

Don't forget how they purposely tried to put MRob in the hospital as well. Pretty disgusting what some programs think is acceptable on the field!

Don't forget how they purposely tried to put MRob in the hospital as well. Pretty disgusting what some programs think is acceptable on the field!
Pretty disgusting off the field as well...
187fyj5209fg9jpg.jpg

Just wow. There are so many inaccuracies in your post, I do not even know where to begin. Joe’s Teams during his peak played nothing resembling “garbage schedules.” Unless you consider Nebraska, Alabama, Notre Dame, Miami, and Pitt - all at their peaks or at a very high level. And then throw in a game with a Hostetler-led West Virginia or a Flutie-led Boston College. And then bowl games against Ohio State, Hesiman-led USC and Georgia teams.

Recruiting: Penn State had some #1 in the nation recruiting classes after the time where you stated PSU experienced a “ sharper downturn.” How many have we had since Joe was fired? (Hint: zero). Suggest you read up in the history of Penn State football.

Last edited:
Recruiting: Penn State had some #1 in the nation recruiting classes after the time where you stated PSU experienced a “ sharper downturn.” How many have we had since Joe was tired? (Hint: zero). Suggest you read up in the history of Penn State football.
When was that exactly? I can recall just a few top-5 classes since 1998.

Just wow. There are so many inaccuracies in your post, I do not even know where to begin. Joe’s Teams during his peak played nothing resembling “garbage schedules.” Unless you consider Nebraska, Alabama, Notre Dame, Miami, and Pitt - all at their peaks or at a very high level. And then throw in a game with a Hostetler-led West Virginia or a Flutie-led Boston College. And then bowl games against Ohio State, Hesiman-led USC and Georgia teams.
One and maybe two of those schools in a given year. You just gave a decades worth of opponents.

One and maybe two of those schools in a given year. You just gave a decades worth of opponents.
Again, you need to look it up. I sat in the stands of those games - not one or two games a year but 4, 5, 6, and even 7 of those teams per year...the toughest schedule in the country in many of those years.

Again, you need to look it up. I sat in the stands of those games - not one or two games a year but 4, 5, 6, and even 7 of those teams per year...the toughest schedule in the country in many of those years.
Take a refresher and check out his record after the last national title. I too sat in the seats from 84-02. Lots of revisionist history on this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT