ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Well, we're not.......not when you factor in the 2022 class.

2020 and 2021 were certainly a step back from 2018-2019 on paper, but that trend line is coming back up.
And as I've said before.......we were perhaps one catch away from the CFP in 2016. We were 6 points away from being undefeated in 2017. And we did that with classes ranked mostly in the 15-30 range.
Would not make any plans about 2022 commits yet...counted our chickens in 20 & 21 based on high end kids in our region who we thought were leans...were not able to get most of them...Trend line is slightly down...not playing could make the drop steeper..

Reactions: TheGLOV and ST8FAN
It sucks but you speak the truth.

That said, I would venture it’s more about Dad directing him away than anything else. Not much we can do there.
It's about both parents wanting to see both of their sons play football. With one at Wisky and the other any place but Wisky this would be impossible. If they were my sons and they could play on the same team, they would play on the same team.

It's about both parents wanting to see both of their sons play football. With one at Wisky and the other any place but Wisky this would be impossible. If they were my sons and they could play on the same team, they would play on the same team.
Whatever tbe reason, the end game for PSU is not good. But to be honest, we don’t need any troublemakers around the program (OGBOT sycophants).

Would not make any plans about 2022 commits yet...counted our chickens in 20 & 21 based on high end kids in our region who we thought were leans...were not able to get most of them...Trend line is slightly down...not playing could make the drop steeper..

Right. Don't make plans.

But it's great that Franklin is making plans and actually executing those plans, though. 2022 is off to a great start. Five commits. 4 solid 4 star recruits and a 3 star QB that was one of CJF's initial QB offers. When CJF gets the players that he has offered early and developed relationships with it's sure not time to cry.....

Right. Don't make plans.

But it's great that Franklin is making plans and actually executing those plans, though. 2022 is off to a great start. Five commits. 4 solid 4 star recruits and a 3 star QB that was one of CJF's initial QB offers. When CJF gets the players that he has offered early and developed relationships with it's sure not time to cry.....
All I am suggesting is don’t assume they will sign. Franklin is a relentless recruiter...but things are slipping just a bit...and even the commits you mention above will not get PSU to elite...Need some 5 Stars. Just keeping it all in perspective.

All I am suggesting is don’t assume they will sign. Franklin is a relentless recruiter...but things are slipping just a bit...and even the commits you mention above will not get PSU to elite...Need some 5 Stars. Just keeping it all in perspective.

Would you take a class of nothing but kids ranked in the 100-200 range? Say, 22 commits in that solid-but-not-elite 4* category?

I sure as hell would.

Not saying our entire 2022 class will end up that way, because that's not realistic. And I'm not saying 5* kids aren't important.

But if we load up on kids in that solid 4* range, I'll take our chances.....particularly with the way this staff has developed talent over the years.

Would you take a class of nothing but kids ranked in the 100-200 range? Say, 22 commits in that solid-but-not-elite 4* category?

I sure as hell would.

Not saying our entire 2022 class will end up that way, because that's not realistic. And I'm not saying 5* kids aren't important.

But if we load up on kids in that solid 4* range, I'll take our chances.....particularly with the way this staff has developed talent over the years.
Sure I would...but I have seen nothing the last couple of years that tells me that is even possible. And to be elite, you need some 5 star difference makers..

Did he not just vist PSU a month ago- was it the kiss off or saying I am coming to PSU, we will see. Good luck to him wherever he lands.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV

Problem there is other teams are figuring that out too. I would think that the internet and Jay are to blame

Problem there is other teams are figuring that out too. I would think that the internet and Jay are to blame
What does that even mean?

Franklin and co. will need to step up their game if PSU is going to return to elite. Both day game coaching and recruiting. Both are very good but not elite. Feel free to disagree. I believe the numbers describe where Penn State football is at the moment: Very good but not elite. And not tending up...kind of plateauing. Hopefully CJF can get us back to where we were during the salad years. It starts with recruiting. Can’t keep missing on the best talent that is close to home.

Reactions: ST8FAN and TheGLOV
What does that even mean?

Franklin and co. will need to step up their game if PSU is going to return to elite. Both day game coaching and recruiting. Both are very good but not elite. Feel free to disagree. I believe the numbers describe where Penn State football is at the moment: Very good but not elite. And not tending up...kind of plateauing. Hopefully CJF can get us back to where we were during the salad years. It starts with recruiting. Can’t keep missing on the best talent that is close to home.

You are wrong, grasshopper

I think most people who view the program objectively realize that we are not yet an elite team YET. However, the constant harping that we aren’t elite is getting old and counterproductive. Some have clung to the elite statement like a dog with a bone. If recruits read this site what message does that send ? Other teams are not elite as well but do not endure the constant “not elite” messaging we self inflict upon ourselves. Let it go.

I think most people who view the program objectively realize that we are not yet an elite team YET. However, the constant harping that we aren’t elite is getting old and counterproductive. Some have clung to the elite statement like a dog with a bone. If recruits read this site what message does that send ? Other teams are not elite as well but do not endure the constant “not elite” messaging we self inflict upon ourselves. Let it go.

Agreed. It stinks of inferiority complex, too.

I'm perfectly comfortable winning 11 games on a fairly consistent basis and challenging for a CFP every few years. That's essentially what we've been doing since 2016. We're knocking on the door.

Hell, even the 2019 season was arguably an offensive pass interference call away from a CFP. Oklahoma probably beats us out narrowly for that 4th spot, but an 11-1 PSU would have made a strong case.

We are really close. And we've been doing it without top-5 recruiting classes. The 2021 class isn't what we had hoped for, but recruiting on the whole -- factoring in 2022 -- will keep us within striking distance.

Last edited:
One can choose to look at the ranking during and immediately upon completion of a recruiting class........or we can wait until they actually contribute and careers are complete. I'm not interested in 5 stars that end up flops .....Slade and Shorter gave certain folks chubbies.......LOL what does that top ranking earn you?

Reactions: WyomingLion
Agreed. It stinks of inferiority complex, too.

In the 1980s, we were essentially the Clemson of CFB. 2 national titles and another natty game appearance in a 5-year span. We've been elite before, and we can be elite again. But very, very few programs live in that upper echelon -- and even fewer do it for long. I'm perfectly comfortable winning 11 games on a fairly consistent basis and challenging for a CFP every few years. That's essentially what we've been doing since 2016.

Hell, even the 2019 season was arguably an offensive pass interference call away from a CFP. Oklahoma probably beats us out narrowly for that 4th spot, but an 11-1 PSU would have made a strong case.

We are really close. And we've been doing it without top-5 recruiting classes. The 2021 class isn't what we had hoped for, but recruiting on the whole -- factoring in 2022 -- will keep us within striking distance.
Yes, a reasonable post on a ship of fools! Star rankings are not the end all. There are many intangibles that make a great player/great team. I think PSU has consistency played above its team recruit rankings, we will break through soon, might have been this year if it was a normal year. The people who harp on the elite statement may have an agenda not aligned with the best interests of PSU football. Oops, here come come the kool-aid drinkers accusations.

One can choose to look at the ranking during and immediately upon completion of a recruiting class........or we can wait until they actually contribute and careers are complete. I'm not interested in 5 stars that end up flops .....Slade and Shorter gave certain folks chubbies.......LOL what does that top ranking earn you?
Micah Parsons turned out OK and demonstrated the difference a 5-star talent can make.

The CFP team rosters are filled with 5-stars.

Reactions: MacNit07
Drew Kendall with a string of CBs for Boston College. Interesting development seeing as though Michigan seemed to be out front.

We were thought to have a good shot early on when we got Trautwein, but then faded a bit. Looks like he may stay home. Good for him.

Drew Kendall with a string of CBs for Boston College. Interesting development seeing as though Michigan seemed to be out front.

We were thought to have a good shot early on when we got Trautwein, but then faded a bit. Looks like he may stay home. Good for him.

I heard that prior to Trautwein coming to Penn State, we showed little to no interest in Kendall. And then once Trautwein got here, he tried to make amends but I think the lack of relationships from Franklin and other offensive personnel may have been why Kendall was never a reasonable recruit for us.

Yet, here you are in a recruiting thread on a Rivals message board

Reactions: Lion8286
Yet, here you are in a recruiting thread on a Rivals message board
Read carefully dim wit. I didn't say I don't follow recruiting, or understand that it is important. The rating system is often flawed. Yes, I'm here. I enjoy following and offering opinions on all aspects of PSU Football. I just type with both hands (unlike you) when referring to high school kids and their stars.

Read carefully dim wit. I didn't say I don't follow recruiting, or understand that it is important. The rating system is often flawed. Yes, I'm here. I enjoy following and offering opinions on all aspects of PSU Football. I just type with both hands (unlike you) when referring to high school kids and their stars.
Why don’t you think I type with both hands?

Weren't you one of the guys insulting those who claimed awhile ago that Rucci was probably going to Wisconsin? Yes, yes you were.

(not that insulting people isn't your usual schtick)

Dude, all you do is bring over CB picks from 247. That doesn’t make you a prophet. Picking Rucci to Wisconsin and Talley to PSU isnt‘treally going out on a limb right now.

Dude, all you do is bring over CB picks from 247. That doesn’t make you a prophet. Picking Rucci to Wisconsin and Talley to PSU isnt‘treally going out on a limb right now.

It's a recruiting thread. Yes, I do post when CB predictions for our recruits are posted. Nobody claimed I was a prophet. Only you said that.

Frankly, I scratch my head in wonder why people come to this board to insult fellow PSU fans. But whatever gets you off.

Last edited:
Why don’t you think I type with both hands?
Maybe Marshall got confused at first and thought you were Bob. But then he said you were slow, and we all know that isn’t the case with Bob. So I’m confused, I guess you’ll have to settle between yourselves now.

Reactions: marshall23
From Hayden Rucci when he committed to UW. Did we ever have chance? Too bad bloodlines are broken to PSU. Mauti was last of those who cared about legacy:

Are you thinking you're going to try and help out the coaching staff a little bit or are you going to give Nolan some space to decide for himself when it comes time for him to make a decision?

Hayden Rucci:
Hell no, I’m in his ear about it. I’m trying to get him to come with me.

Do you think he'll listen to his older brother?

Hayden Rucci:
He’s a hard book to read. I don’t know about that kid sometimes. I’ll do my best.

ADVERTISEMENT