ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

While I don't promote following any of these "recruiting" pages on Instagram - It feels like they steal paywalled info and promote as their own - someone had sent this to me and I thought it was funny. Tengwall coming in hot in the comment section in reference to Rucci.

While I don't promote following any of these "recruiting" pages on Instagram - It feels like they steal paywalled info and promote as their own - someone had sent this to me and I thought it was funny. Tengwall coming in hot in the comment section in reference to Rucci.

Yes, I saw that. One interesting and unfortunate thing is that Tengwall never spoke much about Rucci. Tengwall spoke about Pounds and Thornton and Bruce, but not about Rucci. For awhile, I have thought that the two of them may not have been, or be, on the friendliest of terms.

Also, we're going to be just fine with Traut. Seems like he's got a foot in the door with some heavy hitters in the coming cycles.

His mask game is intimidating af too.

Yes, I saw that. One interesting and unfortunate thing is that Tengwall never spoke much about Rucci. Tengwall spoke about Pounds and Thornton and Bruce, but not about Rucci. For awhile, I have thought that the two of them may not have been, or be, on the friendliest of terms.

That's fine. Maybe Coach Traut will lend Tengwall to the DL for a couple of plays when PSU is playing Wisky/Rucci in the years to come, as Tengwall looks like he could knock about anything in front of him onto it's a$$...............

Positive news!

One observation: Not a single prospect from Commonwealth of PA. Sobering.

Reactions: TheGLOV
s
Positive news!

One observation: Not a single prospect from Commonwealth of PA. Sobering.
Why do I care where our athletes come from? Back in the 70s and 80s when I was coaching, staffs followed one another on the recruiting trail. PSU would show up, quickly followed by BC, Army, Syracuse etc. No computers, no rating services etc. Today, all major programs play on TV....camps, events planned by recruiting services and as a result both coaching staffs and recruits expand their "nets" coast to coast.
Some kids wanna stay close to home and at least an equal number wanna "see how the other half lives...." To each his own. I could care less about getting Pa kids. I want a strong roster.....Franklin does a great job with that.

Rucci's Mother posted a very complimentary comment about Franklin and how her son was recruited by PSU. It gave me the impression that his mind was made up to play with his brother and PSU was never a serious consideration. That more than anything, may explain Tengwell "befriending" other OL candidates that were considered "in play." Honestly, it gets a little creepy how some pine over a 17 year old kid's decision. I've seen fewer tears from a high school kid who asked the home coming queen to the prom and she said "no."
While its true PSU is in an up hill battle to match OSU, this is not the case with Wisky. Let it go, geeze.

Last edited:
s

Why do I care where our athletes come from? Back in the 70s and 80s when I was coaching, staffs followed one another on the recruiting trail. PSU would show up, quickly followed by BC, Army, Syracuse etc. No computers, no rating services etc. Today, all major programs play on TV....camps, events planned by recruiting services and as a result both coaching staffs and recruits expand their "nets" coast to coast.
Some kids wanna stay close to home and at least an equal number wanna "see how the other half lives...." To each his own. I could care less about getting Pa kids. I want a strong roster.....Franklin does a great job with that.

I totally agree but Franklin sort of brought some of the criticism on himself with his "dominate the state" mantra. He didn't need to say it if he didn't value it. I mean, people ran out and bought merchandise with that slogan, and I guess he has failed in that dominating the state by any real measure. Again, I don't personally care where we get our players as long as they can play, but franklin sure used to care.

I totally agree but Franklin sort of brought some of the criticism on himself with his "dominate the state" mantra. He didn't need to say it if he didn't value it. I mean, people ran out and bought merchandise with that slogan, and I guess he has failed in that dominating the state by any real measure. Again, I don't personally care where we get our players as long as they can play, but franklin sure used to care.
If I recall, that was his "mantra" when he got here. How long ago was that 6-7 years already? At that time we were losing recruits to Pitt. One should not take offense to losing recruits to blue blood programs....that's the high stakes game you choose to play when you go after big game (5 stars). Perhaps fans would be happier if Franklin only recruited 2 and marginal 3 stars like Nardouche....kids who have very few P5 offers...he'd never lose? People say a lot of things. As long as PSU is a top 10 program most years.....we're gonna hammer Franklin over a slogan? He could say to fans..."go $uck yourself" as his new slogan and I'm just fine. He produces wins, he does a phenomenal job of representing the program.
Your merchandise should be worn out by now......bury it in the back yard. Franklin has won 11 games, 3 of the last 4 years. Can fanboys ever stop whining? Fire Franklin....we deserve better.....LOL

He used to care because that’s where Penn State was when he arrived - hoping to just get the best players from PA. Now, he’s working to get the best players in the country.

Yes, it stinks that we missed on the two top players from PA in these last two cycles, especially because they were in positions of need. I think Covid really has put a damper on the way Franklin recruits - getting kids on campus, meeting and seeing the way they can fit into the system (especially where there is a new position coach). That’s why it’s even more imperative to get back on the field before the end of November.

"A couple of decades ago, PA would have 10 Sheltons in a year", PSU would have a 2 deep OL set quickly and 1 scholarship player on defense

s

Totally agree. But the further you get from your campus, the tougher it gets to get and keep the recruits. With the shift of talent away from PA, Franklin’s job is that much tougher. Franklin’s is doing a good job -but not a great one. He is not recruiting at an elite level. And his game day coaching is good but not elite either. Love Franklin...but it is what is it is...

Reactions: jimjim47
Totally agree. But the further you get from your campus, the tougher it gets to get and keep the recruits. With the shift of talent away from PA, Franklin’s job is that much tougher. Franklin’s is doing a good job -but not a great one. He is not recruiting at an elite level. And his game day coaching is good but not elite either. Love Franklin...but it is what is it is...
Yeah, he's "just good" not elite.....don't think he would have to collect unemployment if PSU thinks they can do better.......This is the only fan base that had the greatest coach in history and still whines that he stayed too long......We always deserve better. LOL
Our fans are great coach evaluators because.....you know......we just know football inside and out (better than the guys who make millions per year to do so).

SIAP:

Daily Collegian writer has some words for Franklin's 2021 recruiting effort...

James Franklin, once considered a top recruiter, has underachieved in the 2021 class, as the Nittany Lions have an embarrassing ranking disproportionate to their national prominence.

Sitting with the 34th ranked class in the country, Penn State is behind programs such as Mississippi State, NC State and Arkansas — all teams with losing seasons in 2019.

“The reality is that we have gone from an average football team to a good football team to a great football team,” Franklin said after the White Out loss against Ohio State in 2018. “We have worked hard to do those things, but we are not an elite football team yet.”

To get to being an “elite football team,” the Nittany Lions simply can’t obtain a recruiting class below seven other Big Ten programs.

So why is it so difficult to get high school players to don the blue and white uniform?

With a recent Cotton Bowl victory in its pocket and three 11-win seasons in the past four years, Penn State should produce top recruiting classes that compete with powerhouse programs like Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama.

Key word: should.

Penn State has proven since Franklin’s hiring that it is still not yet a national recruiter despite recent successes.

Hell, it can’t even recruit its own state properly.

Yeah, he's "just good" not elite.....don't think he would have to collect unemployment if PSU thinks they can do better.......This is the only fan base that had the greatest coach in history and still whines that he stayed too long......We always deserve better. LOL
Our fans are great coach evaluators because.....you know......we just know football inside and out (better than the guys who make millions per year to do so).
Take a chill pill dude. Who’s whining? You are correct - lots of schools would love to have Franklin. And Penn State could do a lot worse. But the facts are the facts, we are not recruiting or playing at an elite level. We are very good at both. But not at the level of most of a Paterno’s tenure. Nothing inherently wrong with that. And you don’t need to be Vince Lombardi to figure that out. The record speaks for itself.

• Haha
Reactions: PearlandLion
Take a chill pill dude. Who’s whining? You are correct - lots of schools would love to have Franklin. And Penn State could do a lot worse. But the facts are the facts, we are not recruiting or playing at an elite level. We are very good at both. But not at the level of most of a Paterno’s tenure. Nothing inherently wrong with that. And you don’t need to be Vince Lombardi to figure that out. The record speaks for itself.
Its tough being an elite fan when your coach is only very good.

Do you think the best teams in the country become "elite" by dominating the state? He did what was needed at the time now expand. Why is this so hard to understand?

SIAP:

James Franklin, once considered a top recruiter, has underachieved in the 2021 class, as the Nittany Lions have an embarrassing ranking disproportionate to their national prominence.

Sitting with the 34th ranked class in the country, Penn State is behind programs such as Mississippi State, NC State and Arkansas — all teams with losing seasons in 2019.

“The reality is that we have gone from an average football team to a good football team to a great football team,” Franklin said after the White Out loss against Ohio State in 2018. “We have worked hard to do those things, but we are not an elite football team yet.”

To get to being an “elite football team,” the Nittany Lions simply can’t obtain a recruiting class below seven other Big Ten programs.

So why is it so difficult to get high school players to don the blue and white uniform?

With a recent Cotton Bowl victory in its pocket and three 11-win seasons in the past four years, Penn State should produce top recruiting classes that compete with powerhouse programs like Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama.

Penn State has proven since Franklin’s hiring that it is still not yet a national recruiter despite recent successes.

SIAP:

Seems to be a fair assessment. I bet CJF would agree and will be working hard to turn things around. Misses like Rucci are magnified when there are only a handful of players at level in PA. Paterno would have probably missed on that as well - considering the circumstances. But in his day, there would have been 15-20 players of that caliber in PA of that caliber...and Joe would get most of them.

Its tough being an elite fan when your coach is only very good.
Not sure what that is supposed to mean. CJF is beloved in my household. We support the team and attend every home game, many away games and bowl games. Does not mean Franklin can not be subjected to honest evaluations.

Do you think the best teams in the country become "elite" by dominating the state? He did what was needed at the time now expand. Why is this so hard to understand?
No. They become elite by elite recruiting and elite game day coaching. Do we have either at Penn State? In what direction are the trend lines pointing? Is that so hard to understand?

Not sure what that is supposed to mean. CJF is beloved in my household. We support the team and attend every home game, many away games and bowl games. Does not mean Franklin can not be subjected to honest evaluations.
Good to know a coach can be beloved while failing to reach elite status. "Nice" girls need dates to the prom too.

Let's not confuse "honest evaluations" with what are merely the opinions of "fans." The evaluations that matter, have been rendered, and the end result is that Franklin is paid mega millions for his expertise.

Let's not confuse "honest evaluations" with what are merely the opinions of "fans." The evaluations that matter, have been rendered, and the end result is that Franklin is paid mega millions for his expertise.
Oh so that is the measure? Well, using that standards, others are paid more and are getting better results. So that seems about right.

Use that standard and apply it to your opinion. Facts are: 1. recruiting rankings, 10-15 and drifting downward.; 2. On field play 10-15th and holding steady (for now). Bottom line: not top 5-6 and not elite. Nothing wrong with that. But those are the facts (not an opinion).

Good to know a coach can be beloved while failing to reach elite status. "Nice" girls need dates to the prom too.
Well they can...and CJF seems to be working hard to get PSU to elite. But dies not mean he will get us there. Do you think others are not working hard? Perhaps they are just better. No shame in that.

ADVERTISEMENT