ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Apparently Nate Bruce decommitted

I kept thinking a few things about Bruce since we hired Trautwein. The first was that the amount of high end talent looking at PSU really makes it hard for me to believe we were going to have room for a guy like Bruce. It isn’t a slam at the kid’s ability but if you watch his film he is only a guard. He plays nasty but he just isn’t athletic enough to play anything else. We brought in two or three guys like that in the last class. Given the amount of high end talent available to us in the region and Trautwein’s stated preference for athleticism I wondered if we would have room for a kind of project guy like Bruce.

He wasn’t told to look elsewhere. I’d imagine there was some concern on his part with an entirely new offensive staff and some interest from other programs. Hopefully it works out well for him but he could end up being shut out a la RJ Adams from last cycle.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Could be, but I'd wait to haul some prospects in before I told someone to go fishing. Don't know that they aren't close. Guess we'll see.

I agree, and I hope the coaching staff is not telling currently committed players to look elsewhere. Since none of our top targets have been willing to pull the trigger on a commitment, we cannot assume that we are in a great position with them or bank on these top targets committing to us. I am not saying the top targets will not commit to us, but we should not be telling commits/recruits to look elsewhere. It would be a surprise if Elksnis sticks with us since his recruiting has started to pick up over the last couple of months and there is mutual flirting between him and Florida, including a documented trip and a 'secret' trip to Florida over the past couple of months.

Could be, but I'd wait to haul some prospects in before I told someone to go fishing. Don't know that they aren't close. Guess we'll see.
Agreed. If Franklin thought he was worthy of a spot in Oct., I doubt that PSU suddenly has 4 or 5 OL ready to commit who made him obsolete.

Agreed. If Franklin thought he was worthy of a spot in Oct., I doubt that PSU suddenly has 4 or 5 OL ready to commit who made him obsolete.

Always find the contrast in (board) attitudes between the time a kid commit and decommits amusing. One day, I'll overcome the ennui and do comparison. Ah, not likely. Yawwwwwnnnnnn.

Last edited:

It will be interesting to see how many total OL are taken in the 2021 class, after the 5 taken last year as well as the possibility that this class many not have a total number of players approaching the 2020 class.....

PSU in a good spot here ($)

From Midwest combine last week:

Detroit (Mich.) King 2021 Top247 defensive back Jaylen Reed ran 4.59 to get his day rolling in the 40-yard dash and come 1-on-1s checked everyone from speedy slots to tight ends. The four-star recruit didn’t give up anything in the reps we saw showing why he is approaching 30 offers. Recent visits to Georgia and Penn State have really impressed, and an offer from Minnesota is exciting too

Last edited:
247 updated their rankings today.

A few rankings that jumped out:

RB TreVeyon Henderson up 216 spots to #11 overall
OT Rucci up 17 spots to #12 overall
LB Jeremiah Trotter (Clemson) up 217 spots to #25 overall
OT Leigh up 139 spots to #29 overall
S Derrick Davis down 23 spots to #65 overall
OT Tengwall down 49 spots to #77 overall

247 updated their rankings today.

A few rankings that jumped out:

RB TreVeyon Henderson up 216 spots to #11 overall
OT Rucci up 17 spots to #12 overall
LB Jeremiah Trotter (Clemson) up 217 spots to #25 overall
OT Leigh up 139 spots to #29 overall
S Derrick Davis down 23 spots to #65 overall
OT Tengwall down 49 spots to #77 overall
out of local curiosity, where is Spindler on that list?

This is great stuff:

Stxbuck 24 HOURS AGO

IMO, some top recruits are turned off by tOSU’s growing by academic reputation. We don’t play bagmen games and recruits realize they are expected to go to class and not just get dragged through eligibility kicking and screaming by tutors-ie-we don’t do things the SEC way. tOSU competes a lot more w/ Stanford and ND for top recruits(the decision coming down to tOSU and those schools) than they do w/ Georgia and LSU. A lot of top recruits just want to ball for the NFL in the South and “play school” in the words of 12 Gauge-and are aware of which top programs are more amenable to that way of thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT