ADVERTISEMENT

2021 PSU WVB Thread (delayed 2020 season)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penn State plays tonight, Thursday, due to Rice having to forfeit their match due to Covid

I noticed lately that there are 6 Big 10 teams ranked(PSU being the lowest currently) this season. I don't recall the BIG 10 being that strong in women's vball in the past 20 years(granted I haven't done the research), however, it seems in recent years that BIG 10 women's volleyball has become more competitive. I am thinking because of the success of PSU Women's Vball with the Nat Champs, etc, the BIG 10 competitors have upped their game by bringing in better coaches that can recruit better.(Granted Nebraska has always been strong in vball before entering the BIG 10 so maybe a combo of both PSU and Nebraska?). Just looking for opinions.

I noticed lately that there are 6 Big 10 teams ranked(PSU being the lowest currently) this season. I don't recall the BIG 10 being that strong in women's vball in the past 20 years(granted I haven't done the research), however, it seems in recent years that BIG 10 women's volleyball has become more competitive. I am thinking because of the success of PSU Women's Vball with the Nat Champs, etc, the BIG 10 competitors have upped their game by bringing in better coaches that can recruit better.(Granted Nebraska has always been strong in vball before entering the BIG 10 so maybe a combo of both PSU and Nebraska?). Just looking for opinions.

In the last 20 years a BIG team won 10 titles (2 of those are Nebraska before they joined the BIG) and had 7 runnerups (1 is Nebraska prior to BIG). IMHO you are correct that the rest of the BIG have stepped up their game because PSU was so good. Adding Nebraska made the BIG even tougher.

Big Ten is on fire. A lot of great coaching hires, adding Nebraska was amazing, and Ohio State and Purdue have really come on. Rutgers is improving also, due to basically recruiting the entire world outside of the US.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Penn stage dominating early in an empty convention hall in front of zero fans on sport court on an internet web stream that was to have zero announcers until the NCAA was shamed into letting random announcers work the game for free.

Match against Texas will be on ESPNU at 5 PM on Sunday. Hook those horns.
I was glad I was able to watch last nights match. Looked a little rusty but found their groove as they went on. Annie Cate Fitzpatrick's serving reminded me of Micah Hancock serves. Annie Cate is only a freshman!! I am looking forward to the match with Texas.

So my cuz in Austin, who goes to most UT home games a and few road games, is all excited about playing us tomorrow. She said she heard we have had a lot of Covid issues. Is that in the past? Any current concerns?

Exit: went through the thread and saw we cancelled last four regular season games.

Last edited:
So my cuz in Austin, who goes to most UT home games a and few road games, is all excited about playing us tomorrow. She said she heard we have had a lot of Covid issues. Is that in the past? Any current concerns?

Exit: went through the thread and saw we cancelled last four regular season games.
Everyone played 2 days ago at full strength.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I think Texas gets it in four. Psu only won one match against a good opponent this year, purdue. I’d love to be surprised!
I'm afraid I agree with your prediction. The team looked good against very weak competition two days ago. We haven't played a team of Texas' quality since Minnesota.

Reactions: Ski and TheGLOV
Russ=JVP. Legend, made us who we are, afraid to retire. Unfortunately I’ve already seen this drama. Sad. Success with honor. Retire with honor.

Russ=JVP. Legend, made us who we are, afraid to retire. Unfortunately I’ve already seen this drama. Sad. Success with honor. Retire with honor.

He needs two more outside hitters that aren’t 6’ 0” and 5’ 11”. If he can no longer recruit them then you are correct.

He hired a coach in waiting. Then she left. You know why? She got tired of waiting. Best line from the Rambo movie. “ It’s over Johnny....It’s over!!!!!!!”

He hired a coach in waiting. Then she left. You know why? She got tired of waiting. Best line from the Rambo movie. “ It’s over Johnny....It’s over!!!!!!!”
IMHO...I believe Rose has at another run at B10 and NCAA next season...Predict Top 5 going into NCAA tournament. Will be back with Rose full practices and full season

IMHO...I believe Rose has at another run at B10 and NCAA next season...Predict Top 5 going into NCAA tournament. Will be back with Rose full practices and full season
You obviously follow things closer than me so I respectfully say “I hope you’re correct and I’m on the bandwagon !” It just seems like the other programs have moved past us. Russ always seemed to say it’s about the girls and therefore recruiting. Hopefully we are just a kid or two away and as you say some normal practice time and coaching.

The AVCA has announced its All-American selection for Spring 2021. Kaitlyn Hord was named to the 3rd team. Johnni Parker received honorable mention.

So I said Russ should retire right after they lost to Texas. Texas beat Wisky last night to advance to the National Championship game. Full disclosure. I’m an idiot. Russ apparently should not retire and I should shut up. Thank you. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: ILLINOISLION
The Big women’s volleyball has become much more competitive, you cannot expect PSU to get their pick of players anymore. Getting to the final 4 would help but other conferences have also upped their game so players have more options than PSU and the west coast.

There are rumors that a graduate transfer from Maryland, Erika Pritchard, will be joining the Lions next season. She is a high-level terminator on the pins and has done very well against Big Ten competition during her time at Maryland.

If the Lions expect to make a run at the Big Ten championship, they need to have a pin-hitter of her quality come in.

There is nothing official yet, but she has recently begun following a lot of Penn State players and staff on social media, as well as the DigNittany Instagram account.

There are rumors that a graduate transfer from Maryland, Erika Pritchard, will be joining the Lions next season. She is a high-level terminator on the pins and has done very well against Big Ten competition during her time at Maryland.

If the Lions expect to make a run at the Big Ten championship, they need to have a pin-hitter of her quality come in.

There is nothing official yet, but she has recently begun following a lot of Penn State players and staff on social media, as well as the DigNittany Instagram account.

who runs dignittany? I’ve seen the person taking the photos, especially easy this year since it was all parents and then one guy with a professional camera, but I didn’t recognize them.

who runs dignittany? I’ve seen the person taking the photos, especially easy this year since it was all parents and then one guy with a professional camera, but I didn’t recognize them.
Why don't you join DigNittany and ask him yourself? His profile name there is nyline. The link is below.

DigNittany Volleyball

The Big women’s volleyball has become much more competitive, you cannot expect PSU to get their pick of players anymore. Getting to the final 4 would help but other conferences have also upped their game so players have more options than PSU and the west coast.
We haven’t won the NC since we had the great Micha Hancock; we’ve only been to one final four since she graduated, and have only won the Big Ten once since she graduated. Has Coach Rose lost his fastball? Yes, and that fastball’s name was Micha Hancock. PSU women’s volleyball is so far from what it was 7 years ago as to be unrecognizable. That’s how far it’s fallen. Just like PSU football from 1997-2004 under Coach Paterno - similarities are eerie - and just as disappointing. Please, Nittany Nation - wake up.

We haven’t won the NC since we had the great Micha Hancock; we’ve only been to one final four since she graduated, and have only won the Big Ten once since she graduated. Has Coach Rose lost his fastball? Yes, and that fastball’s name was Micha Hancock. PSU women’s volleyball is so far from what it was 7 years ago as to be unrecognizable. That’s how far it’s fallen. Just like PSU football from 1997-2004 under Coach Paterno - similarities are eerie - and just as disappointing. Please, Nittany Nation - wake up.

To me the missing fastball has been dominant outside hitters and middles that can consistently score on the slide. You aren't winning many National Championships with your outsides being 5' 11" and 6'0, no matter how great they are. This team has lacked height on the outside more than a good setter. Nia Grant was the last consistent terminator on the outside that could score over any block.

To me the missing fastball has been dominant outside hitters and middles that can consistently score on the slide. You aren't winning many National Championships with your outsides being 5' 11" and 6'0, no matter how great they are. This team has lacked height on the outside more than a good setter. Nia Grant was the last consistent terminator on the outside that could score over any block.
Perhaps - I defer to your knowledge - but that is even a bigger indictment of Coach Rose losing his fastball. He should know this and FIX it. He is not performing a very important part of his job: improving the team. He has been lax, clearly. Getting a bit lazy in recruiting - sound familiar (Refer my similarities w/ a certain football coach). The program has collapsed as a conference and national championship contender - we’re lucky to be 4th in the BIG now. We used to be a must-see on TV for how clean, error-free we played. I can’t stomach watching now- our serve receive is awful, our setting is mediocre, and we have no consistency in blocking or attack. It’s practically depressing (much like PSU football from 1997-2004, refer above). As I said then, and am saying now: wake up PSU, please.

Perhaps - I defer to your knowledge - but that is even a bigger indictment of Coach Rose losing his fastball. He should know this and FIX it. He is not performing a very important part of his job: improving the team. He has been lax, clearly. Getting a bit lazy in recruiting - sound familiar (Refer my similarities w/ a certain football coach). The program has collapsed as a conference and national championship contender - we’re lucky to be 4th in the BIG now. We used to be a must-see on TV for how clean, error-free we played. I can’t stomach watching now- our serve receive is awful, our setting is mediocre, and we have no consistency in blocking or attack. It’s practically depressing (much like PSU football from 1997-2004, refer above). As I said then, and am saying now: wake up PSU, please.
From 2005-2014 Penn State was the Alabama/Clemson of WVB. Nobody was competing on their level (except for perhaps Stanford/Texas/Nebraska - who kept it somewhat competitive). They certainly dropped off (some of that due to recruiting, some of that due to the other Big Ten teams becoming stronger) - but those were absurd dynasty levels that they dropped off from, and (although they have not won the championship since), they are still a strong/competitive top-10 team on a regular basis. We all want them to improve from where they're currently at (and I certainly agree that it needs to start with recruiting taller/stronger outsides), but to say they are unwatchable or this reminds you of the PSU dark days - is a bit much.

From 2005-2014 Penn State was the Alabama/Clemson of WVB. Nobody was competing on their level (except for perhaps Stanford/Texas/Nebraska - who kept it somewhat competitive). They certainly dropped off (some of that due to recruiting, some of that due to the other Big Ten teams becoming stronger) - but those were absurd dynasty levels that they dropped off from, and (although they have not won the championship since), they are still a strong/competitive top-10 team on a regular basis. We all want them to improve from where they're currently at (and I certainly agree that it needs to start with recruiting taller/stronger outsides), but to say they are unwatchable or this reminds you of the PSU dark days - is a bit much.
Or perhaps most if not all “of that“ due to a head coach clearly past his prime and not doing what is necessary to keep PSU as a top team. We are not a top 10 team, 12th is not top ten. Being the 6th ranked team in our conference is simply unacceptable- or should be. Allowing our most hated rival O$U to rise as we fall is unacceptable- or should be. This isn’t a slip down in quality - this is a plunge off of a (admittedly high) cliff. This IS, relatively speaking, like the football dark years - we are a NON contender. An afterthought both in the BIG and nationally. Not feared - used as a “name” stepping stone for Purdue!?! And we are practically unwatchable - unless you enjoy seeing abysmal serve receive, our outside hitters getting Kong-blocked, and actual good teams in the conference beating us. Why would anyone want to watch that?

the quality of play of PSU women’s volleyball has degenerated so far from the glory years, it’s mind-boggling - our teams from those years would demolish this seasons team so badly that we would have to install a mercy rule so stop the slaughter. wake The heck UP, Penn State - didn’t we learn our lesson regarding keeping a FORMERLY great coach way too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT