ADVERTISEMENT

2021 PSU WVB Thread (delayed 2020 season)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Katie Schumacher will likely become the next head coach. She’s got great experience as both a head coach and as an assistant under Russ and was a Penn State all American.

OK, there was no championship in 2020, but in the 13 seasons prior to that, Russ won 6 National Championships, and made the Final Four 2 additional times. He made the Final Four just 3 seasons ago. Has any program done better? No. Stanford has only 3 titles in those 13 years. Nebraska has 2. Texas and UCLA have 1 each. That said, you convinced me. The Regional Finals the past 2 seasons is not enough and this year we suck. He clearly has lost his fastball. I'm with you. Let's dump the guy. Retire Russ Rose!

.....>

The world is: "Ah, what have you done for me lately" fair!

:)

Reactions: fairgambit
I think that the demise of the program has been greatly exaggerated. This is a very strange year. Some programs had about 8 matches before PSU even played. Give them a chance. They looked good today aginst a good team.

not to mention the Vid sidelined a good chunk of the starters through the first couple matches. Some weird lineups for sure

Reactions: dwiz and CattyGuy51
Great finish winning the last 6.
For the experts, is the struggles we have related to problems with setting?
Fitzpatrick has a great future. With Parker and Hord we have some serious fire power.
I agree about Fitzpatrick and Hord. Parker is just too inconsistent and makes the same mistakes over and over again. I'm afraid she has reached her ceiling.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Agreed. We should go bold and steal away either Minny or Wisky’s coach before PSU volleyball sinks further in the minds of recruits. It was been 7 years since we made the finals.
Hugh McCutcheon's wife is from Minnesota. That's why he took the job, rather than continue coaching internationally.

Wisconsin's coach has no reason to leave Wisky for Penn State. He has built what is probably the best program in the country in Wisconsin. He would have to rebuild Penn State.

Game on BTN

PSU 25 - 11 Rutgers
PSU 25 - 20 Rutgers
PSU 25 - 16 Rutgers

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00
Does PSU WV need to win at least 2 of their next 4 matches to make the Tournament? Tough task: 2 with Wisconsin (home) and 2 with Nebraska (away).

Does PSU WV need to win at least 2 of their next 4 matches to make the Tournament? Tough task: 2 with Wisconsin (home) and 2 with Nebraska (away).

The experts on the volleytalk forums seem to think so. Hard to imagine not making the tournament as like the #16 team in the country (which is around where they would be if going 0-4 in the next two weeks) but that's how volleyball works. The smaller field doesn't help either.

It is what it is, though I wonder how things in the standings/rankings would look if these postponed games had been played:
Neb @ Wis
Neb @ Wis
Min @ Wis
PSU @ Mich
PSU @ Mich
PSU @ MD
PSU @ MD

PSU might have a better looking record if those matches were played, but the losses to Minn and Ohst remain. Yet, if there is to be any redemption it must come at home vs Wis this Fri/Sat and on the road @Neb the following Thur/Fri, the last games before NCAA offers go out. Ugh.

P.S. Delayed flag on Mr Trout!

This might get penn state into the 48 team tournament. The odds were that we would go 0-4 to Nebraska and Wisconsin. Now our regular season might be over without those 4 losses.

Penn state vs Nebraska cancelled, allowing penn state to sneak into the final 4 picked for the tourney.

Guessing the Tournament selection show will air sometime this weekend...will be checking my cable program guide later today.

Been a big fan over the past 12 years+. This team has a lot of talent but has lost a lot of close sets to the better teams. Serve/receive (good first bump) seem to be lacking this year along with not showing the tenacious resolve they have shown in the past to close out tight sets. I am guessing that COVID has limited the amount of practice time and tough practice sessions that is a signature of Rose's coaching and demanding training style.

I believe that PSU and Stanford are the only 2 schools that have been in every NCAA WV tournament and that streak is in jeopardy for both.

Wishing the team good luck in being selected with this reduced tournament teams this year.

The volleyball world is a little up in arms about psu getting a seed, but if you look at the coach’s poll, they have psu right there, so we’ll see. Rice isn’t an easy draw for their first match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT