ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

Let's go Phils!!!!

Place any wagers on them this year?

After 2 years of high expectations and utter disappointment, I think there's finally value on the Phils this year, especially with how the bullpen has looked during spring ball. I played their season win total over 80.5.

Conversely, I played the Mets under 91.5 and to miss the playoffs @ +245

Place any wagers on them this year?

After 2 years of high expectations and utter disappointment, I think there's finally value on the Phils this year, especially with how the bullpen has looked during spring ball. I played their season win total over 80.5.

Conversely, I played the Mets under 91.5 and to miss the playoffs @ +245
I did not, but agree that the value could finally be there for the Phils. I'm rooting for you on both bets!

Reactions: PSUoh90
I was able to follow the top half of the 1st, and then the 9th and 10th innings, as well as the radio postgame show.

Nola pitched a masterful game. Alas, he missed on a pitch to Panda that was supposed to be outer edge, but ended up being inner edge, and Panda turned on it.

I give some credit to Quinn, who came in as a replacement due to a hammy issue that Haseley suffered, and while not known for having a plus arm, he made the throw that counted in the top of the 10th.

Last season, this game was likely a loss. The Phils were 5th in runs scored last season, but their bullpen was beyond inept. Today, Bradley got them out of the 7th inning, Alvarado with 3 Ks in the 8th, Neris with 1 K in the 9th (and a nice catch by Didi), and Brogdon with a clean sheet in the 10th to get the win.

I was able to follow the top half of the 1st, and then the 9th and 10th innings, as well as the radio postgame show.

Nola pitched a masterful game. Alas, he missed on a pitch to Panda that was supposed to be outer edge, but ended up being inner edge, and Panda turned on it.

I give some credit to Quinn, who came in as a replacement due to a hammy issue that Haseley suffered, and while not known for having a plus arm, he made the throw that counted in the top of the 10th.

Last season, this game was likely a loss. The Phils were 5th in runs scored last season, but their bullpen was beyond inept. Today, Bradley got them out of the 7th inning, Alvarado with 3 Ks in the 8th, Neris with 1 K in the 9th (and a nice catch by Didi), and Brogdon with a clean sheet in the 10th to get the win.
Don't forget the awesome catch by Bohm to prevent the Braves from scoring after the horrendous little league type error by Hoskins...should have been charged 2 errors on that play..UGH!!!

Don't forget the awesome catch by Bohm to prevent the Braves from scoring after the horrendous little league type error by Hoskins...should have been charged 2 errors on that play..UGH!!!
Yeah, I really wonder about Hoskins in this lineup. If his bat doesn’t come around it may be time to move on from him.

Reactions: colt21
Yeah, I really wonder about Hoskins in this lineup. If his bat doesn’t come around it may be time to move on from him.

That was a huge hit for Hoskins today. After being down 0-2, I doubt anyone thought he would drive in those runs. Hope it continues.

Ok watching the phils todau and caught some sporadic innings yesterday. Throughtout the game I'm hearing these coordinated high pitched "Whooooo, Whooooo" . Is this something new at the Bank or is tbis just something I've missed in the past.

So the Phils got a run in the bottom of the 8th to take a 2-1 lead over the Braves. Hopefully, Neris is up to the task in the top of the 9th

So the Phils got a run in the bottom of the 8th to take a 2-1 lead over the Braves. Hopefully, Neris is up to the task in the top of the 9th

he was kind of shaky (gave up 2 walks, and nearly gave up a HR that Harper caught on the warning track), but Neris gets the save, and the Phils sweep the opening series against the Braves

3 high quality outings for the Phillies top starters

Philadelphia's pitching staff was the story of the season-opening series as the starting trio of Aaron Nola, Zack Wheeler and Eflin surrendered only three runs, 11 hits and one walk while recording 24 strikeouts in 20 2/3 innings against NL MVP Freddie Freeman and an Atlanta lineup that led the majors in 2020 with 556 hits.

The Phillies bullpen, which posted a 7.06 ERA in 2020, didn't yield a run in 7 1/3 innings in the set.

"Everyone did their job," Phillies manager Joe Girardi said. "The starters came in and did their job. The bullpen did their job. To limit this team to the amount of runs that we did is not easy to do."

Philadelphia's pitching held Atlanta's lineup in check with Freeman, Ronald Acuña Jr., Ozzie Albies and Marcell Ozuna combining to go 3 for 44 (.068) in the three-game set.

Yes! Alvarado was throwing 100 mph heat in the 9th. Great comeback considering DeGrom was dealing as usual. 4-0!!

Wow. I didn't see that coming. I saw a bit off the game before the start of the MBB Championship, and DeGrom looked to be in a typical groove, and the Phils were down 0-2.

I thought the odds of the Phils being 0-4 at this point were much higher than were the odds of them being 4-0.

Reactions: Nittany Security2
Nice to see the bullpen bring some heat. Players aren't as comfortable in the box. Two solid innings from Coonrod...liking him.👌

An interesting take from a Mets' beat writer:

Can we put VV on the next flight out of town? Enough already, he walked 4 in one inning. This experiment should be over.

Reactions: LionsandBear
Velasquez should never see the field again. 1 good inning then 4 walks in the 7th and totally lost it. Time to move on from this mutt. Down 4-1 now, thanks Vince.

Velasquez should never see the field again. 1 good inning then 4 walks in the 7th and totally lost it. Time to move on from this mutt. Down 4-1 now, thanks Vince.
Completely agree, but Girardi should have had someone ready to bring in after the third walk! Had Kintzler been ready and they VV doesn't actually walk in a run maybe things go a little differently. VV needs to be replaced now by Romero

Reactions: rudedude
Can we put VV on the next flight out of town? Enough already, he walked 4 in one inning. This experiment should be over.

I don't know what the deal is with VV. I love the potential he brings to the mound but his lack of consistency is maddening. Last night was a great example. He strikes out the side then falls apart. After the lead off walk I knew he was toast. He has good stuff but he seems to lose focus easily.

ADVERTISEMENT