ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Phillies Thread

Then they wonder why it's ten years between .500 seasons.

He doesn't have 3B offensive numbers, even if by some miracle you turn him into an average defensive 3B. That would take some doing in itself.

Dude struck out 108 times and hit 7 HR in 113 games. He rarely walks and boasts an OBP of .306. They're insane.

Gaslighting the public is certainly in full sail across all segments of society.

Bryce Harper: He is the fourth outfielder in baseball history to have at least 100 runs, 100 walks, 40 doubles and 35 home runs in a season, joining Babe Ruth (1921, 1923), Stan Musial (1949) and Barry Bonds (1998)
I wouldn't include Barry "druggie" Bonds on any list! And that includes Clemens, McGwire, Palmiero, and Sosa.

Then they wonder why it's ten years between .500 seasons.

He doesn't have 3B offensive numbers, even if by some miracle you turn him into an average defensive 3B. That would take some doing in itself.

Dude struck out 108 times and hit 7 HR in 113 games. He rarely walks and boasts an OBP of .306. They're insane.

Gaslighting the public is certainly in full sail across all segments of society.
Easy does it my friend!
Bohm played in 44 games last year, and 114 this year. Roughly, that's 1 season. Give the kid a chance. Mike Schmidt didn't set the world on fire his first year either.

Reactions: BriarwoodBash
Easy does it my friend!
Bohm played in 44 games last year, and 114 this year. Roughly, that's 1 season. Give the kid a chance. Mike Schmidt didn't set the world on fire his first year either.
Yeah, if the DH is established for the NL, I'd like to see Bohm moved to 1B and Hoskins to DH. Would help the offense considerably IMO and allow for a better defender at 3B. (who? -- not sure)

Yeah, if the DH is established for the NL, I'd like to see Bohm moved to 1B and Hoskins to DH. Would help the offense considerably IMO and allow for a better defender at 3B. (who? -- not sure)
If they keep Didi maybe him. He sure can't play SS anymore.

I guess the only positive to the season is Ranger Suarez. Not sure whether he should remain a starter with the relief pitching in such bad shape.

Too many negatives to bother listing. I don't know how reliable the MLB Top Prospects list is but the Phillies have only 2 players on that list. Dombrowski hired one of the Padres people to rebuild the minors. Phillies fans have to hope he knows what he's doing. The Padres have 4 in the top 60.

This is going to take time, 5 years at a minimum and probably 7 or 8. Geez, I hope I'm still around.

I guess the only positive to the season is Ranger Suarez. Not sure whether he should remain a starter with the relief pitching in such bad shape.

Too many negatives to bother listing. I don't know how reliable the MLB Top Prospects list is but the Phillies have only 2 players on that list. Dombrowski hired one of the Padres people to rebuild the minors. Phillies fans have to hope he knows what he's doing. The Padres have 4 in the top 60.

This is going to take time, 5 years at a minimum and probably 7 or 8. Geez, I hope I'm still around.
They need to develop a few prospects. That shouldn’t take 7-8 years, but something systematic has to change in their farm system. None of their prospects have panned out for several years.

Bryce Harper: He is the fourth outfielder in baseball history to have at least 100 runs, 100 walks, 40 doubles and 35 home runs in a season, joining Babe Ruth (1921, 1923), Stan Musial (1949) and Barry Bonds (1998)
Nice to see Bryce get his groove back. For a while I used to calculate a stat called bappa, which was basically total bases advanced in any manner divided by plate appearances. Bryce and trea turner we’re almost invariably top five.

Reactions: LionJim

Phillies have one offensive starter drafted by the team, two if you count Hoskins. Freddy G isn’t much to be proud either. The farm system has no talent in the pipeline. Not much hope for immediate improvement without spending money. The pitcher numbers are just as bad.

Watch Phillies Talk with Salisbury. He's the prototype of an old sports writer. This is a terrible point in the season. Nothing for 5 1/2 months other than talking. If you care to spend the time watch and listen. Also the episode right after the Braves series. The failure is well documented.

It can't be just me that thinks it's absurd that the bullpen is historically futile yet they fire the hitting coach.

Last edited:
Watch Phillies Talk with Salisbury. He's the prototype of an old sports writer. This is a terrible point in the season. Nothing for 5 1/2 months other than talking. If you care to spend the time watch and listen. Also the episode right after the Braves series. The failure is well documented.

It can't be just me that thinks it's absurd that the bullpen is historically futile yet they fire the hitting coach.

It’s a combo of things. I think the hitting coach being fired says that the club thinks it has better talent than production. With the bullpen, the talent is just awful. Firing coaches isn’t going to improve that.

Girardi will be gone next year. This team has two above average everyday players. (Harper, Realmuto). With Realmuto constant injury issue he may not be for long. Nothing in the pipeline due to poor drafting means this team has to overpay free agents to be a .500 ball club.

As a hometown Philly team fan, I don’t expect to see a championship for another 21 years. That’s seems about right for how often Philly teams win. Maybe the Sixers will catch a little lightning in a bottle. They may have already passed there window at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT